CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
All of the articles paint a picture of a sad, crying little girl, walking into oblivion. That she was an experienced cowgirl, who appeared to be more mature, mind and body, than her peers.

Connie had one more week remaining in her stay at this camp. Was she really homesick? Was she being bullied? Was she at the end of her patience in dealing with her circumstances?

10 years old. Clearly upset to the point of leaving the camp. Crying while making her trek. Seen by, and interacting with adults, on her way to destiny.

Did she run into evil while hitchhiking? Did she wander into swamp land, or the lake?

Do any of our LEAs still have any kind of investigation going on in Connie's case?

I wish I knew. I think, at this point, Connie's relevance to current investigative agencies has passed well into "historical crime" territory.

It would seem unlikely that she wandered out into the woods. The final eyewitness account has her on the street and both police and her family organized a massive land search, employing searchers on horseback as well as low-flying aircraft. Connie was last seen wearing a bright red windbreaker and baby blue shorts when she disappeared so theoretically, she'd have been easy to spot. But then again, it was summer and the undergrowth does get pretty lush here in New England that time of year.

There were several suspects investigated but police came up against one dead end after another as nothing panned out. The last good lead, so far as I could tell, was a serial killer named George Davies who alluded to killing Connie and burying her on the banks of the Naugatuck River. However, a search turned up nothing and Davies recanted at literally the last second (he was on death row for two earlier murders), saying he made it all up in a ploy to get his sentence commuted.

A few days ago was Connie's 76 birthday.

Thinking about Connie Smith 66 years after she walked away from her summer camp only a few days after turning 10. Was she bullied or abused while at camp? Did she have no where to turn and took matters in her own hands and paraded off to find someone who would listen to her. Or was she abducted by someone from the camp after finding out she went missing. Maybe someone with a car caught up to her while she was walking to Lakeville and decided their life was more important than and ended her life before she could talk. Or was she struck by a vehicle, died then carried off and disposed of miles from camp by the driver? Or had a person who just happen to come along take the opportunity to want to fulfill their fancy but Connie fought back. She was a strong willed cowgirl from the west that I am sure more than once has been able to handle herself in sticky situations. However, dealing with an adult who would be stronger and bigger is something else.

The finding the remains of Little Miss X in Northern AZ a few years after Connie went missing, than her remains be misplaced and documentation on her buried be missing leaves so many questions. Could Little Miss X really be Connie Smith? If so where had she been held until she was found murdered in AZ? If we could just locate her remains DNA testing might answer some of the questions.

Will we ever get to the bottom of this mystery? Is there anyone out there who has some pieces and part answers? Have any of Connie's tent mates ever visited this site and thought about contacting someone on this case but worried that she might be blamed? The slightest memory could be a key to open the door to things long since hidden. Can someone be brave and step forward and let's talk about what you know or don't know.
After all these years, closure is what the family needs. Can anyone help?

The case remains unsolved, but a new, recent interpretation of the vexing case’s facts by a close family member — combined with the recent rediscovery of human remains thousands of miles away (in the Grand Canyon) — may bring resolution to the 66-year-old cold case.

After 66 years, missing Lakeville camper’s case remains unsolved

The case remains unsolved, but a new, recent interpretation of the vexing case’s facts by a close family member — combined with the recent rediscovery of human remains thousands of miles away (in the Grand Canyon) — may bring resolution to the 66-year-old cold case.

After 66 years, missing Lakeville camper’s case remains unsolved
An interest, long and thorough, account. Also:
The second half of this story will be published in the Register
Citizen and on registercitizen.com on Sunday, Aug. 19.

Connie was not on prior to 2018. I checked the data base for her. In the 1950s a man confessed that he witnessed his accomplice murder Connie smith in Arizona a long while after picking her up. He apparently disposed of her body in Arizona and the man who actually killed her was murdered himself shortly afterwards. On October 31st 1958 the skeletal remains of a young female were found. In 1962 a tip was sent to investigators and it stated that the dead girl was Connie smith. Connie’s dental records were compared to the UID and results were inconclusive. In 2004 Connie’s family members Gave a DNA sample to authorities to compare to the Jane doe. The girls Remains were lost because of a mistake in filing. The remains have been relocated and will be compared to Connie.

Connie was not on prior to 2018. I checked the data base for her. In the 1950s a man confessed that he witnessed his accomplice murder Connie smith in Arizona a long while after picking her up. He apparently disposed of her body in Arizona and the man who actually killed her was murdered himself shortly afterwards. On October 31st 1958 the skeletal remains of a young female were found. In 1962 a tip was sent to investigators and it stated that the dead girl was Connie smith. Connie’s dental records were compared to the UID and results were inconclusive. In 2004 Connie’s family members Gave a DNA sample to authorities to compare to the Jane doe. The girls Remains were lost because of a mistake in filing. The remains have been relocated and will be compared to Connie.

The man, POPE, of Ohio, who confessed to the murder of Connie Smith later, after being interviewed by LE, confessed to have lied about her murder so he could return to a mental facility he walked away from. He said he found the information about her while watching Smith’s father on the Art Linkletter show and seeing. Missing poster about her at a police station.

AZ LE reviewed his “confession” in the 2000 to find POPE’S description of the AZ location where Connie Smith was murdered did not exists as he discribed it.

NCMEC: in the early 2000’s difficulty was noted in having old cases put into the NCMEC data base, we thought we had gotten an override and had her case logged in at that time. Thanks for checking NCMEC, is an too important of a tool to not have all pertaining information of a unsolved case available to investigators.

Last edited:
Yes, I’m still hoping that the Jane doe is Connie. Her case is still solvable!

I wonder if they thought the body didn't match because it didn't look like a 10 year old......her description came across like she looked several years older

I wonder if they thought the body didn't match because it didn't look like a 10 year old......her description came across like she looked several years older

They thought it didn’t match because dental records were inconclusive. They will be testing The Jane doe against Connie soon.

there were 8 different people who saw her..she asked for directions at 2 different houses...one couple passed her on the road in their car..the wife wanted to give her a ride but the husband said no they would be late for work...so to be clear..yes she left the camp

But there are several witnesses who interacted with her or saw her on the road outside of camp. She stopped at a house and asked directions.

yes and there was a post describing how she would hold things REALLY close to her eyes she could not see CLOSE UP there was no mention that she had problems seeing in the distance...if true walking off would not be a problem

yes and there was a post describing how she would hold things REALLY close to her eyes she could not see CLOSE UP there was no mention that she had problems seeing in the distance...if true walking off would not be a problem

Hmmm. I always thought she couldn't see far away. I must have read her history incorrectly.

Hmmm. I always thought she couldn't see far away. I must have read her history incorrectly.
Connie has been missing for 66 years. The Jane doe found in 1958 in Arizona was lost but has recently been located. I’m hoping it solves Connie’s disappearance.

This case is one of the many cold cases that I believe are still solvable. Anyway that sad fact is that her parents have passed. Her 79 year old brother continues to search for her. Connie is one of the many young women who disappeared in New England.

- Paula Jean Welden(12/01/1946)

-Constance Christine Smith(07/16/1952)

-Debra Lee Spickler(07/24/1968)

- Cathy Marie Moulton(09/24/1971)

- Lynne Kathryn Schulze(12/10/1971)

-Janice Kathryn Pockett(07/26/1973)

-Lisa Joy White(11/01/1974)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors