CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just read the entire article on Connie’s case. Her brother says he’s convinced that Little Miss X is in fact his long missing sister. Apparently a lot of the dental characteristics matched Connie’s such as the fact that both had gaps in their teeth. Connie’s dentist was also convinced it was Connie because he said his dental work was on the UIDs teeth. The one thing that proved inconclusive was a tiny thing on her tooth that could’ve been natural or from surgery. They say that a simple DNA test between these two could solve Connie’s 66 year old disappearance.

upload_2018-11-10_22-42-56.jpegupload_2018-11-10_22-43-44.jpeg

Connie Smith mystery remains unsolved

Officials had hoped a Sept. 5, 2018, excavation at Citizens Cemetery in Flagstaff, Ariz., would unearth the lost remains of a girl dubbed Little Miss X. The teenage girl’s body was found in the Grand Canyon in 1958, but, after an initial investigation turned out to be inconclusive, the remains were reburied and lost in the 1960s, officials have said.

When Smith’s family was able to provide a DNA sample of their missing girl in 2004, Arizona officials renewed their efforts to try to find Little Miss X, so new tests could be done to determine whether she was, in fact, Connie Smith.

However, tests on the recently recovered remains show it was not the body of Little Miss X, said Lt. Gerrit Boeck of the Criminal Investigation Division of Arizona’s Coconino County Sheriff’s Office.

I believe this might have been brought up previously.

From this article: “Clothes, a comb, jewelry and a nail-file case were found nearby.”

Did LE preserve/store away these important items? Did anyone research/investigate their location? Might those items jog a memory of any living family members? Do ya think? All IMO MOO.

After reading the full thread and other sources on the case, I'm pretty well in the camp of those who believe Connie Smith and Little Miss X to be one and the same. I somehow feel the Arizona murder story to be credible (in its end if not in every detail) and a mistake to have been made in dismissing it and the original examiner's evidence then, as well as in discarding the files and losing (how I wonder) the bones of X.
Just when we need them too, we don't have them. The case will never be solved unless those files and bones, both so stupidly tossed out, are again found. Maybe one, but not likely the other.
I believe that it should be against the law for files on missing persons, even a century old, to be tossed. If storage is a problem, for heaven's sake, get a scrap van or box trailer and park it out back. Geeze. It's not as though law enforcement is struggling or anything.

I have not posted on this thread for a very long time but in the past I was very active here. My interest, research, following, collecting and contributing to this thread has propelled this case along. I wondered how Connie Smith/Little Miss X and Donnis Redman cold cases could have become entwined. After all, where could Connie have been for the couple of years before the remains called Little Miss X were found? Connie had a strong personality, I can't imagine her not raising a fuss going home. She wouldn't have put up with riding around in a car for months with some strangers who picked her up in Connecticut and then left her remains being near a tree in northern Arizona.

Tomorrow, July 16th will mark 67 years since Connie walked away from her summer camp in Connecticut. And as far as I know, not one of her tent mates or anyone else for that matter, who was there when she was, have ever come forth with information on what might have happened that day or the days leading up to her being so angry, she'd walk from the camp to the nearby town. Her mother visited her at camp for her birthday the Sunday before. The story goes she asked her mother if she could spend another week at camp. (Was that a true statement or something put out in the newspaper of the time? If she was having issues at camp, she wouldn't have wanted to stay. Something transpired after her birthday a few days before that drove her to walk away so early that morning. Was she looking to find someone to tell her trouble to or use a telephone? She could have asked any of the persons she spoke to when she stopped to ask direction to town about using their phone to call. Something else must have been going on.)

I can't help but wonder, did something happen that has the tent mates scared to come forward with any information about their time at Camp Sloane in Lakeville, CT with Connie? Are there any family members who may have heard the story from someone who was at the camp. There is a story to tell, but who will share?

It may not be someone from camp did anything to Connie, but maybe heard talk or gossip that could unlocking some part of the story no one has knows. Connie would be 77 years old today. That means other campers would be about that age too. It's time to share people. The Smith family has suffered too long no knowing what happened. Please share what you know or maybe don't know, but come forth.

Other persons knows stories about the area and people who lived there, that is a common thread of living in a small town. What was it like in the Northwest Hills of Connecticut in the 1950's? That information alone could be helpful. I am sure there's been talk about what might have happened to Connie. Other events may have been similar or made one wonder.

It's possible that whomever was involved has already died. But just maybe someone can still pass along something to solve - "What happened to Connie Smith."

Thinking and bumping for Connie Smith and her family this day.

Bumping for Connie...

Where is Connie Smith?

Is she close to where she was last seen in Lakeville, CT? Tossed aside like trash, left never to give her family closure because who ever took her is a was a bully now a coward scared about the justice she’d get From the law. If still alive, could be life in a hole in prison. Connie has been imprisoned for 68 years gone from her parents, brother and all who loved her. It’s time for someone to come forward and set the record straight.

Where is Connie Smith?

Sixty-eight years ago tonight, something happened in an 8-person YMCA camp tent Connie Smith shared with seven other girls? What?

While searching her tent to retrieve her flashlight? Did she stumble on the tent's wooden platform steps and injured her hip? Or was there another factor? We know, at some point, while at camp, her eyeglasses broke? Did it happen that night? Was she being bullied or harassed while at camp? In the morning she had a bloody nose, was it by accident or was it an altercation? Or?

Connie's six tent mates, Eastern suburban lifestyle, differed from Connie's Wyoming cattle-ranch world. Her days' were farm chores, feeding and collecting chicken eggs, cooking and baking, horse rides, maybe learning to rope. Summer nights laying out staring into a pitch-black night of the billions of stars overhead or watching for falling stars. Ser best friend was her older brother, Nels. Connie's summer life was busy with her imaginary friends, a baton twirling horse, and a make-believe snake. Like lots of young girls, she loved making fresh-picked flower necklaces. Was she a fit for a camp in New England? Did her tent mates ridicule Connie's ranch upbringing or compare her lifestyle to the popular television western show of Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, or Sky King or jealous because of it?

Did the girls make fun of her? Did her horse-riding skills outshine the other? She rode Western-style; theirs may have been an English style. It's difficult when tent-mates in a "click" don't accept you or you just don't fit in. Could she have been bullied, teased, or sounded?

The day she disappeared, she acted prudently and cautiously and self-confident as she marches out the gateway down the road on a mission to someplace.in town.

Could Connie have witnessed something sinister at the camp, and hatched a plan to get help in the morning? Or was she homesick after seeing her mom and grandmother? (They celebrated her tenth birthday at the camp a few days before.) Camp time was ending in a few days, but a vast horse show scheduled the day she was to return with her mother and asks if she could stay for it. Her mother planned to return to Wyoming at weeks end.

What was Connie's plan? Where was she heading in Lakeville? News reports say she tried to thumb a ride, back then it was not such a wild idea. In the west, if you were walking, people usually stop and offer you a lift. But Connie was not in Wyoming, Route 44, the highway between Hartford and Albany carried people of all kinds. Did one take liberty in picking up such a young girl and disposing of her when finished?

Meanwhile, Arizona's Little Miss X haunts me; I find it difficult to believe anyone would keep a girl like Connie for a couple of years without fighting to escape. Someone somewhere would have seen her; I am pretty sure.

I hope and pray the Coconino Sheriff's Cold Case Squad finds the lost remains of Little Miss X. They are continuing to search. Maybe one day, her remains will be located, and her name restored. Whoever she is.

July 16th 1952 - Sixty-eight years ago

It's early morning, seven girls who share a tent with Connie Smith begin to awaken. Connie still has the ice pack given to her by the nurse last night for her hip injury. She promised to return to the nurse at first aid this morning.

We know Connie's nose was bloody. Was it an accident? Did a girl, in an upper bunk, climb down and kick Connie in the face? Or was it an altercation of some type? Or a continuance of last night's "accidental fall" episode?

Everyone got moving and prepared to leave the tent for breakfast. One girl, who helps in the kitchen, is first to go. Connie says she'll return the ice packed the nurse. The five girls and their counselor walk to the mess hall. Quiet and empty; she' puts her mission in motion. Instead of returning the ice pack or going to breakfast, Connie leaves and walks to the gravel drive, out the stone pillars, turns right on to Indian Mountain Road.

A pickup truck passes as she walked, it's the camp handyman. He doesn't try to stop her and continues to his job. Not far ahead, at a road intersection, Connie is unsure of the direction to town. She approaches a nearby home and door and knocks. A woman answers the door, "Hello," Connie says. "Which way to town?" The lady directs Connie to Lakeville, up the hill and turn east.

Again, unfamiliar with the area and unsure of her directions, she stops at a second house. She doesn't want to get lost. "Which way to get to town?" Two young women, working outside, tell her. "continue ahead, then turn right on to Route 44 and keep walking a couple of miles further".

A couple passes Connie on their morning stroll, but neither speaks. Connie, reaching Route 44, turns right to Lakeville, where a husband and wife drive past on their way to work heading towards town. Later in a police report, the wife writes she wanted to stop to give the girl a lift to town, but her husband worried they'd be delayed and late for their job.

Connie continues to walk in the direction of town. Statements to state police show a passerby seeing her thumb to hitch a ride. It's been a while; she's probably tired and hungry from having missed breakfast but carries on. A neighbor along Route 44 watches her pass as she walks. Ahead, up on the left, two ancient gravestones stand on the lawn of an old home on Belgo Road. Was Connie drawn to wonder about such stones? Or did she once again stop and inquire at the old house to inquire about directions again?

We don't know—Connie's missing.

Someone... somewhere... could have a clue, a memory, or a story maybe even knows what happened that day sixty-eight years ago. It’s not too late to help.

It is now 69 years since Connie Smith walked away from summer camp in Northwest Connecticut and vanished. For years I have been searching for anyone. who might have been attending Camp Sloane in Lakeville, Connecticut the summer of 1952, as of yet, no one has attempted to contact me or this page about anything they might know. Time is moving along and some of Connie's tent mates have died. I am hoping someone, maybe a family member, will appear and share missing pieces to this puzzle. Maybe it is time for an appeal on YouTube or other social media sites.

Bump for Connie.

It seems obvious Connie was being bullied, but I don't think a group of young tentmates could pull off a 'perfect murder,' even with adult help. Someone would have talked. I think it likely she did head to town, but how far she got is up for debate. I'd look at camp employees first.

I think that it was likely to have been a camp employee and that her troubles at the camp may have not just been with her tent mates. Perhaps a man was showing her attention inappropriately. Kids react strangely when another kid is getting a lot of attention from an adult, as if they know it's not appropriate, but they don't really know exactly what's wrong or how to express it.

Not sure if either article is related to Connie’s disappearance but thought I’d post it here.

11/24-21 Police got a call around 3:30 p.m. Sunday about the skull found in the area of Old Turnpike Road North. State police said troopers and members of the Western District Major Crime Squad responded and confirmed the skull was human.
http://www.countytimes.com/news/pol...cle_e8a5a686-8d08-546b-aa23-f22bde800de1.html

College Class Reviews Historic Unearthed Confession Tapes From 1950s That Could Have Clues to Connecticut Cold Cases | Connecticut Law Tribune
The tapes are currently under review by retired cold case detectives from the Connecticut State Police to determine whether they may contain information related to other cold cases. Originally recorded on reel-to-reel tapes, the audio has been digitized by volunteers at the museum, who noted the retired detectives have begun reviewing enhanced versions of the recordings with headphones.

“There’s a couple of other killers’ tapes in there, one of which we believe may be involved in the disappearance of some people who haven’t been recovered yet,” State Police Museum Chairman Jerry Longo said during a Zoom interview with UNH journalism students last month.
Longo did not specifically identify other cases. Nor would the Connecticut State Police.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back