CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The disappearance of Connie Smith is the first cold case I've tried to investigate. I can't post any links because I have been looking for information on her disappearance for approximately 30 years. The articles I read have been archived for a long time; therefore, all I can offer is my opinion. I don't believe Connie was being bullied and wanted to leave. I suspect Connie was more upset about missing the event she asked to stay longer to attend. Other girls were probably talking excitedly about it making her feel left out. I suspect she may have left to call a parent to ask to stay again. As far as the nosebleed, I believe the story about the bunk beds. My brothers had bunk beds and the same thing happened to them. One of them was in the top bunk and suddenly decided to climb out. He sung his leg over the side and hit someone sitting on the edge of the bottom bunk causing a minor injury. This could have caused her broken glasses too. I've had mine broken a few times. It is also possible that her mother had a spare pair of glasses and wanted her to bring them. I don't believe Connie is Little Miss X either. I believe Connie is most likely within 50 miles of Camp Sloan.

Not sure if either article is related to Connie’s disappearance but thought I’d post it here.

11/24-21 Police got a call around 3:30 p.m. Sunday about the skull found in the area of Old Turnpike Road North. State police said troopers and members of the Western District Major Crime Squad responded and confirmed the skull was human.
Police: Human skull found on the side of North Canaan road

College Class Reviews Historic Unearthed Confession Tapes From 1950s That Could Have Clues to Connecticut Cold Cases | Connecticut Law Tribune
The tapes are currently under review by retired cold case detectives from the Connecticut State Police to determine whether they may contain information related to other cold cases. Originally recorded on reel-to-reel tapes, the audio has been digitized by volunteers at the museum, who noted the retired detectives have begun reviewing enhanced versions of the recordings with headphones.

“There’s a couple of other killers’ tapes in there, one of which we believe may be involved in the disappearance of some people who haven’t been recovered yet,” State Police Museum Chairman Jerry Longo said during a Zoom interview with UNH journalism students last month.
Longo did not specifically identify other cases. Nor would the Connecticut State Police.
As far as I know, neither one of these articles have been reported on again. I haven't been able to find anything on the skull from November and I have not seen anything else about the "confession" tapes.

Missing in Connecticut

4525_29630.jpg

• Connie Christine Smith of Salisbury – Last seen July 16, 1952 at 10 years old
    • Connie was last seen by a husband and wife as they drove U.S. Route 44 in Salisbury. She was last seen near the intersection of U.S. Route 44 and Belgo Rd.

The disappearance of Connie Smith is the first cold case I've tried to investigate. I can't post any links because I have been looking for information on her disappearance for approximately 30 years. The articles I read have been archived for a long time; therefore, all I can offer is my opinion. I don't believe Connie was being bullied and wanted to leave. I suspect Connie was more upset about missing the event she asked to stay longer to attend. Other girls were probably talking excitedly about it making her feel left out. I suspect she may have left to call a parent to ask to stay again. As far as the nosebleed, I believe the story about the bunk beds. My brothers had bunk beds and the same thing happened to them. One of them was in the top bunk and suddenly decided to climb out. He sung his leg over the side and hit someone sitting on the edge of the bottom bunk causing a minor injury. This could have caused her broken glasses too. I've had mine broken a few times. It is also possible that her mother had a spare pair of glasses and wanted her to bring them. I don't believe Connie is Little Miss X either. I believe Connie is most likely within 50 miles of Camp Sloan.

Oddoneout, why did the Connie Smith case call to you to investigate her case? Do you live in CT? Or did you spend time at Camp Sloan?

Have you, in the course of your research, found anyone who knows about Connie and her case? I like your common sense approach and thinking you laid out. Why do you feel her remains are close to where she was last seen?

Oddoneout, why did the Connie Smith case call to you to investigate her case? Do you live in CT? Or did you spend time at Camp Sloan?

Have you, in the course of your research, found anyone who knows about Connie and her case? I like your common sense approach and thinking you laid out. Why do you feel her remains are close to where she was last seen?
I have no connection or special knowledge of this case.

I don't feel Connie Smith could have been transported very far without drawing attention in a way someone would remember. Statistics show that abducted children are usually killed the first day and most often in the first three hours. That appears to be a very rural area. It seems like it would be easier to bury a body than to control a live child. Back then, vehicles didn't have child locks on the doors. There was no ransom demand and ten is too old for most people wanting to adopt a child; therefore, it would seem sexual assault was the most likely motive. If Connie was still alive and unharmed when the reward was offered, the abductor might have tried to exchange her for the money.

It's so frustrating -- I'm in a area history Facebook group, and a bunch of people are talking about, and posting pictures of, their time at Camp Sloane. Some of them are old enough to have overlapped with Connie Smith.

I tried to steer the conversation in that direction, but not a single person bit. If I had been a camper or counselor at a summer camp when a kid disappeared forever, it would be one of the other things I talked about when talking about camp with other former campers. I wish someone had a memory of it and would talk about whatever it is that they remember, even if it's just the general feeling around the camp at the time.

Last edited:
It's so frustrating -- I'm in a area history Facebook group, and a bunch of people are talking about, and posting pictures of, their time at Camp Sloane. Some of them are old enough to have overlapped with Connie Smith.

I tried to steer the conversation in that direction, but not a single person bit. If I had been a camper or counselor at a summer camp when a kid disappeared forever, it would be one of the other things I talked about when talking about camp with other former campers. I wish someone had a memory of it and would talk about whatever it is that they remember, even if it's just the general feeling around the camp at the time.
It could be that they have been asked about it so many times that they just want to forget it. I doubt the girls in the camp would have anything of value to add to what we know. Whatever happened, happened outside of the camp.

In my opinion, Connie was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It has been said that she was trying to hitch hike. Whether she was or not, she got in the wrong vehicle. The questions for me are who picked her up and where is her body.

In my opinion, Connie was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It has been said that she was trying to hitch hike. Whether she was or not, she got in the wrong vehicle. The questions for me are who picked her up and where is her body.
I always hoped a family member, of the tent mates, learned Connie’s story and wondered how it ended. Maybe search the internet to learn if she was found. Wouldn’t you be interested? What happened to the girl you shared a tent and camping experiences with, she missed breakfast never to be seen again.

Someone stopped to give her a ride, she was a trusting girl from a ranch in WY, asking for a ride to town, never realizing the trouble she was in.

I always hoped a family member, of the tent mates, learned Connie’s story and wondered how it ended. Maybe search the internet to learn if she was found. Wouldn’t you be interested? What happened to the girl you shared a tent and camping experiences with, she missed breakfast never to be seen again.

Someone stopped to give her a ride, she was a trusting girl from a ranch in WY, asking for a ride to town, never realizing the trouble she was in.
There were many farms in the area, she may have been tossed into an animal burial pit, covered and forgottened.

I would be following the case all these years later if I had experienced such a thing at camp... but then again, I've been around Websleuths for well over 15 years, so I am hardly typical. Still, sometimes people hear things that don't make it into the press, or may have suspicions about certain people who may have been at the camp, or might remember how the adults explained it, or have insight into the supposed "fight" that might have occurred, whether she was happy or may have gone off with an adult, etc.

Sadly, I suspect what happened to Connie has haunted and changed these girls' lives. They probably grew up scared that whoever took Connie might come back for them or their kids.

I would be following the case all these years later if I had experienced such a thing at camp... but then again, I've been around Websleuths for well over 15 years, so I am hardly typical. Still, sometimes people hear things that don't make it into the press, or may have suspicions about certain people who may have been at the camp, or might remember how the adults explained it, or have insight into the supposed "fight" that might have occurred, whether she was happy or may have gone off with an adult, etc.
Connie was last seen too far from camp by too many people for me to believe anyone at the camp was involved. Walking is a very slow way to travel. I think anyone following her from the camp would have been seen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelchildvikki
Back