Identified! CT - East Haven, Frontage Rd behind former Bradlees store, WhtFem 18-28, UP10796, Wrapped in Paint-Spotted Tarp, Aug'75 - Patricia Meleady Newsome

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The suspect in Patricia's murder, Glen Askeborn, committed a similar crime in Maine where she might have run away to. Is it possible that he took her to Connecticut
I apologize, but the suspect transitioned to a female in the 80's. Her name now is Samantha Glenner.

She was charged I think back in 2019 of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The source here put her name as "Glen Robert Askeborn"

Killeen Daily Herald

I think she's still alive (the suspect transitioned as a female in the 80's). Glenner was charged not too long ago with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Killeen Daily Herald
Was that the same person? The age doesnt match up with the one listed for them in the newspapers in the 80s. There is a Connecticut marriage record that lists someone with the male name as being born in 1934. I believe that would match up with the person in texas

Was that the same person? The age doesnt match up with the one listed for them in the newspapers in the 80s. There is a Connecticut marriage record that lists someone with the male name as being born in 1934. I believe that would match up with the person in texas
Yes, I believe she's the same person. An excerpt from a book on the murder of Amy Cave committed by Glenner states that she was supposed to be released from prison in 2010 which made her 67 years old back then- she was released a year early. That means Glenner's year of birth is likely 1943.

Here is the excerpt: The Disappearance of Amy Cave

The Killeen Daily Herald article was written in 2021. 1943+78 = 2021.

I apologize, but the suspect transitioned to a female in the 80's. Her name now is Samantha Glenner.

She was charged I think back in 2019 of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The source here put her name as "Glen Robert Askeborn"

Killeen Daily Herald
10/9/85 - Justice Bealieu stated that attorneys for Glenner argued that he may suffer from a mental disease or defect which "manifested itself in periods of violent behavior over which he had no control or knowledge".

Per her sister's Facebook page for her, Patricia disappeared in or after July of 1973. She was found on August 12, 1975.
Thank you so much for clarifying this. So that’s 2 years of her life to be chased up. I think I recall that dirt bag frank Delano Floyd being a possible suspect, does anyone else recall this?

I had trouble hearing the press conf. If I understood correctly, the sister who spoke must have been quite young when their mother passed, and then the father 5 years later. I thought I heard there is some confusion as to the name and location of the boarding school? Also, does anyone know where the family was living when Trisha attended the school?

I had trouble hearing the press conf. If I understood correctly, the sister who spoke must have been quite young when their mother passed, and then the father 5 years later. I thought I heard there is some confusion as to the name and location of the boarding school? Also, does anyone know where the family was living when Trisha attended the school?
Patricia's family don't know which boarding school Patricia was sent to, though they think it's one in Sullivan County, New York. They lived in Morganville, New Jersey.

Newsom Collette last saw her sister when she was 9 years old when she went missing from her boarding school in the Monticello, New York area. Newsom ran away from the school with a friend in 1972 and headed toward Maine, police said.

As the years passed, Newsom Collette launched the FindPatriciaNewsom Facebook page. She also decided to take add her DNA to GEDmatch, she said during a press conference. An officer in Tennessee, where Collete lives, took a DNA swab.

The young woman long referred to as Jane Doe has been identified after 49 years. Police shared the news at a media briefing Monday. She is Patricia “Tricia” Newsom.

Patricia “Tricia” Meleady Newsom was born on June 20, 1957 in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

She was born in Idaho but would move with her family, including two brothers and a sister Maryann, many times. Her mother died from cancer, and her father remarried and would remarry again. While living in New Jersey, she was sent to a boarding school in upstate New York, and in around 1974 she’d run away from and never be heard from again. She's been identified and now, police will work to find out who killed her.

Very interesting article about Newsom: Found Deceased -Patricia Newsom

• In late August or early September 1972, Patricia was sent to an unknown boarding school allegedly located in Monticello, New York.
  • Some think Patricia never attended boarding school at all, though her oldest brother did receive a letter from her while she was there. When he tried to write back, his letter was returned as un-deliverable.
  • Some of Patricia's relatives think the boarding school was actually located in Maine or even Vermont.
  • Patricia's siblings have been forced to rely on their abusive step-mother to tell them about her disappearance, even though they don't trust her.
  • The siblings were told by their stepmother that Patricia ran away from the boarding school possibly with another girl sometime in or after July 1973. Both of them allegedly traveled to Maine where the family of Patricia's friend supposedly lived. Patricia's sister doubts that her friend even existed.
  • There was a boarding school near Monticello, New York though it only accepted students 4-12 with learning and emotional problems. It was located in the town of Liberty, New York.

Police continue to seek leads in 1975 cold case killing of teen

"Police spent years trying to identify a Jane Doe, now known as Patricia Newsom, who was found bound, gagged and wrapped in a tarp in a drainage ditch along Frontage Road on Aug. 16, 1975. Police are now asking to speak with anyone who may have known Newsom.

Police say that their investigation is leading them up the east coast, and are asking anyone in the areas of Philadelphia, Vermont, New Jersey, New York, and Maine, for any information they may have, or if they crossed paths with Newsom in the 70s.

“With the task of identifying Patricia Newsom behind us, we are now able to focus on the circumstances leading up to her death,” said East Haven Police via Facebook."

Police continue to seek leads in 1975 cold case killing of teen

"Police spent years trying to identify a Jane Doe, now known as Patricia Newsom, who was found bound, gagged and wrapped in a tarp in a drainage ditch along Frontage Road on Aug. 16, 1975. Police are now asking to speak with anyone who may have known Newsom.

Police say that their investigation is leading them up the east coast, and are asking anyone in the areas of Philadelphia, Vermont, New Jersey, New York, and Maine, for any information they may have, or if they crossed paths with Newsom in the 70s.

“With the task of identifying Patricia Newsom behind us, we are now able to focus on the circumstances leading up to her death,” said East Haven Police via Facebook."
I'm so hoping justice will also come for Ms. Newsom. How did she ended up in Connecticut?

I'm so hoping justice will also come for Ms. Newsom. How did she ended up in Connecticut?
My heart breaks for this young girl. She had such a difficult life after her young childhood, and sadness suffuses her portrait. (Is it a school photo? It looks like one.) I fear that even if Patricia did deliberately "run away" as reported, she never got anywhere near where she intended to go. I strongly suspect trafficking in her case, due to the long time between her reported disappearance and her body being dumped. There are so many interstates linking together between her reported school location, her reported goal of reaching Maine, and where her family lived in NJ. East Haven is right off I-95, as is her family's home at the time in NJ, and if she and the friend she allegedly ran with were hitchhiking they probably made for I-84 or I-87 - both of which are major trucking routes connecting easily to NYC and the entire northeast/midAtlantic US. They probably had little to no money to travel on, certainly no credit cards, and they would have been so vulnerable to bad actors before getting anywhere near Maine, or even before Patricia could have reached her (less than ideal-sounding) home.

With hitchhiking a widely accepted way to get from point to point or simply to set out on an open-ended adventure, and with drug and sexual experimentation so prominent in a culture that heavily infantilized and disempowered women and criminalized the acting-out behavior of young people rather than trying to help them, the 70s were an especially harrowing time to be a teenage girl. I'm so sorry for Patricia and the many other innocent children who did not survive that era.

My heart breaks for this young girl. She had such a difficult life after her young childhood, and sadness suffuses her portrait. (Is it a school photo? It looks like one.) I fear that even if Patricia did deliberately "run away" as reported, she never got anywhere near where she intended to go. I strongly suspect trafficking in her case, due to the long time between her reported disappearance and her body being dumped. There are so many interstates linking together between her reported school location, her reported goal of reaching Maine, and where her family lived in NJ. East Haven is right off I-95, as is her family's home at the time in NJ, and if she and the friend she allegedly ran with were hitchhiking they probably made for I-84 or I-87 - both of which are major trucking routes connecting easily to NYC and the entire northeast/midAtlantic US. They probably had little to no money to travel on, certainly no credit cards, and they would have been so vulnerable to bad actors before getting anywhere near Maine, or even before Patricia could have reached her (less than ideal-sounding) home.

With hitchhiking a widely accepted way to get from point to point or simply to set out on an open-ended adventure, and with drug and sexual experimentation so prominent in a culture that heavily infantilized and disempowered women and criminalized the acting-out behavior of young people rather than trying to help them, the 70s were an especially harrowing time to be a teenage girl. I'm so sorry for Patricia and the many other innocent children who did not survive that era.
I go along with you theory she was probably hitchhiking and she met up with a sadistic killer. Trafficking: I don't see that so much. It's is still a mystery where she went to boarding school. Could it be in New Haven, I wonder. Also the story with the friend she was allegedly traveling with. Does she exist or did she met the same fate? She didn't came forward yet. Hopes up, she does or anybody else from that era, who knew Patricia.

Patricia Meleady “Trisha” NewsomPicture of

Patricia Meleady Newsome, age 18​

Murdered in August 1975.

LINK:

'' Jul 20, 2023 / 05:26 PM EDT
EAST HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Patricia Newsom, the victim of a 1975 murder, was exhumed to be cremated on Thursday, according to police.
Newsom was identified as the victim of a cold case murder in April after her body was originally exhumed in June 2022.
Cremation services will be provided by the East Haven Memorial Home at no cost to Newsom’s family, who will make the trip from Tennessee for the services.
East Haven police identify victim of 1975 cold case homicide
“While this case remains under investigation, these latest developments are a full circle moment for us,” said East Haven Police Department Commander Captain Joseph Murgo. “We are honored to be able to finally bring Patricia one step closer to her final resting place with other members of her family.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back