CT CT - Janice Pockett, 7, Tolland, 26 July 1973

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have always thought these cases were connected, based on the time frame and such small communities. Lisa Joy White and Patricia Luce were friends. What are the odds that they were both abducted by different people. Slim to none in my book. They did find Luce body in nearby Marlborough years after her abduction. I still wonder how well that area was searched? Is it possible that the other missing girls are close by. Just a thought. Bumping...

Any information, no matter how trivial it seems, could be important!!
Please post any thoughts, memories, theories, etc.. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD LEAD TO NEW INFORMATION!!
Please visit Janice's page on facebook

Saw this today not sure if Janice is one of the cold cases mentioned.
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampden/Announcement-Wed-on-'95-Tolland-killing If not I will research further to post it on the proper threads.

the article is talking about a case in tolland ma ( not tolland ct) and how it could be related to some bodies that were found in new britain ct ( which is central part of ct) the bodies found in new britain are near major highways route 9 and 84 its also a major shopping strip. target a mall. and other various stores and resturants

Janice is our featured Cold Case on the front page from 5/1 - 5/7/2011

:rose:

Sister-

I don't believe it is possible for those of us who look into your life from the outside to remotely imagine what it has been like for you since the day Janice disappeared. No one should have to live with that level of pain and uncertainty day after day, year after year.

It is insufferable that so many others stand with you, ever searching for the missing piece of their hearts. I pray that someday you will finally know what happened to your sister. Your loyalty to her and to finding out the truth is something any sister would be proud of, and grateful for.

Bumping for Janice

This case is one that continues to nag at me. All missing persons and UID cases bother me but this is one that stick with me. These handful of missing children cases from MA & CT during the 70s, especially the ones involving Bar-Jonah, really bug me. And there's a couple reasons for that...

I dated Andy Amato's (missing from Webster, MA 1978) younger brother in high school. The family moved up here to NH many years after Andy disappeared. From the minute I heard about what had happened to Andy, the case has intrigued me. A few years back, when I started going to school for criminal justice, I began researching the case and came across Janice and the other cases. As I began to read about Bar-Jonah and Pierce I was reminded of something. The details are fuzzy so bear with me.

I live in Thornton, NH. Back when I was younger (I'm gonna say early to mid 90s but maybe later) there was a big to-do about a man (I believe from MA) who had been arrested for molesting and killing children. There was a lot of talk about a diary or notebook of some sort with references to victims and where/how he disposed of them. And there was speculation that he had victims from all over the country.

Well turns out his parents owned a vacation home just a few houses down the road from where I grew up and they were talking about possibly searching there for bodies (in the basement, digging up the yard, etc.). It was a very tiny house (like the size of a one room utility apartment) and nobody was ever there in all the years I had lived here. Nobody in town even seemed to know who owned the house. For some reason it always creeped me out. I think it was because I live in a small town on a road where everybody knows everybody and has been in everyone else's house at one point or another. Everyone is always outside in their yard and stuff...and then there was this one house that just seemed lifeless. Not long after this happened the property was sold and the new owners tore down the house and built a new one (of a more average size).

I'm pretty sure his first name was David and I remember thinking that his last name was not ordinary and reminded me of a vampire...like Von something. I'm wondering though if it was Bar-Jonah (as his birth name was David Brown), and I just meshed the two names together in my mind. As I said, things are foggy. But it does seem from what I remember that some of the stuff is strikingly similar to what I've read about Bar-Jonah. I've tried endlessly to find news reports about it (to confirm my suspicions of the connection) but I'm not sure it ever made the papers. I know it was on the local news station, but I don't think it ever made print.

Anyway, if your still following me, my point is this: I wonder if this was Bar-Jonah and I wonder if the house or property was ever searched? And if not, maybe it should be. I mean it's a long way to drive a body (or bodies) but you never know. And I'm sure it would have been noticed if anybody was ever there, since it seemed no one ever was, but again you never know. I can't seem to find anything in his background information about his parents or if they/he had any ties to NH. And, as I said, I can't find any news articles that it even happened, let alone to confirm the names or if any searching was done. It seemed like no sooner did we here a news report or two on it and then nothing ever again and everyone has pretty much forgotten about it. A few people say they vaguely remember when it happened but they don't remember the names or if there was any searching done either.

Anybody know how I could go about finding this out? Would my local PD have this info? The man that was chief then retired about 2 years ago but still lives across town (and has his whole life). Should I pick his brain about it maybe? Does anyone else think it's worth looking into? Even if it didn't have a connection with Bar-Jonah or Janice's case (and even though he's dead and can't be prosecuted), maybe it could help in other cases...even if it's just to bring victims' remains home to their families and answer some basic questions...like are they still alive, if not who killed them, and where were they hidden all this time?

Sorry for the really long post...but is anybody else following my thoughts on this?

P.S. I wanted to say hi to Sister and let you know that I think about Janice often and am so sorry your family has gone through so many years without any answers. I hope that you get those answers soon and are able to find peace and comfort in finally knowing. I'm also sorry about your mother. It's saddens me that she died without ever knowing what happened to Janice. However, I'm not sure if you believe in an afterlife (I don't mean to offend anyone's religion or beliefs), but I do, and if Janice was killed then I believe your mother is with her and now has all the answers that we don't. I greatly admire your commitment to your finding out what happened to your sister and that you are able to get on here and talk about something that is so devastating and personal with all of us strangers.

NH girl, Bar-Jonah's alias is David Brown. I just looked it up. It looks like his victims were boys. I wonder if he was the guy you remember?

NH girl, Bar-Jonah's alias is David Brown. I just looked it up. It looks like his victims were boys. I wonder if he was the guy you remember?

That's what I suspect but I can't find anything to confirm that. I'm wondering how I would find out more about it...I feel like I've completely exhausted my internet resources trying to find out and don't know where else to look. I want to know if the house/property was ever searched and how thoroughly...and if not, then why? What information or evidence would lead them to think it wasn't worth searching? It seems like it was wrapped up and forgotten about rather quickly...but I was so young and it was so long ago that I just don't remember enough.

Again, it may not help Janice's case (especially if it was Bar-Jonah, since his victims were boys), but it may help in other cases. It has been speculated that Andrew Amato may have been one of Bar-Jonah's victims and that is a case very close to my heart, as I explained.

Sorry for straying a little off topic on Janice's thread. Just trying to connect all the dots between these few recurring suspects (Bar-Jonah, the other guy he was associated with whose name escapes me right now, and Pierce) that keep popping up amongst these handful of missing children cases in MA & CT in the 70s...and the possibility that what I remember happening here in NH may be connected somehow. Something about it just keep s nagging at me...

ETA: Think I will try and pick the former Chief's brain about it afterall. Surely being in LE and having lived here his whole life he must remember it and have some advice on how to find what I'm looking for.

Nathaniel Bar-Jonah once known as David Brown pled guilty at the very young age of 17 of impersonating a police officer as well as choking and beating an eight year-old child. Once the child got away from Brown, he
realized that he had seen him at a local fast food restaurant and Brown was apprehended immediately. For this incident, Brown received one year probation.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/714349/convicted_kidnapper_accused_cannibal.html?cat=17

more from this article:

After being in prison for less then a year, Brown decided he would turn the tables. He started telling his psychiatrist that he was having lucrative fantasies about murder, dissection, and cannibalism. It was not long after that, that Brown would be transferred to the Bridgewater State Hospital for Sexual Predators in 1979. After only 12 years, Brown would be released on the notion that he was not dangerous anymore. Once released in 1991, Brown changes his name to Nathanial Benjamin Levi Bar-Jonah.

While Bar-Jonah is being released his entire family is picking up their Massachusetts life and moving to the ever so somber Montana life. Three weeks after, Bar-Jonah is arrested for assault on another young teenage boy. This time, he is not thrown back in jail, but given a deal to move with his family in Montana, as well as a slap on the wrist with a two year probation sentence..

Once settled inside of Montana, Bar-Jonah complies with Massachusetts and set up his appointments to see his probation officer. The probation officer is obviously puzzled by the stories Bar-Jonah has disclosed to him. Previous incidents, as well as Bar-Jonah's psychiatric history is requested, however no records were ever processed or sent.

Dressed as a police officer by an elementary school in Great Falls, Montana, Bar-Jonah is arrested again in 1999. A search warrant is issued, police officers find hundreds, and thousands of pictures of little boys and
names of little boys from the Massachusetts area as well as Montana.

This article is also interesting
http://servv89pn0aj.sn.sourcedns.com/~gbpprorg/judicial-inc/a_Na.than_bar_jonah_supplement.htm

Thank you NHGirl for posting all this info here!! I haven't been on Websleuths for a while.
I strongly recommend that you talk with LE about what you remember. I don't recall Bar Jonah (aka David Brown) being connected to NH, but it may not have been in the news. I know his house in Montana was searched, but I don't even know if his old house in Webster, MA was ever searched. I would be very interested in hearing anything you learn about this!!
And although Bar Jonah/David Brown preferred boys, that doesn't mean he always preferred boys. A few months after my sister Janice disappeared, it is suspected that Bar Jonah attempted to kidnap a 9 year old girl in CT. He was probably 16 - 17 years old at the time.
Please keep me posted if you find anything out. I need all the help I can get!!

keeping this in the front page!

hello sister, have you had any hints from the psychic or police?
I always thought your sister was abducted by a person of that area,althought I´m from Germany,,,,
my son was abducted at 3 and still missing after 33 years
I´m praying you will get some info about what happened to your sister

July 26, 2011 was the 38th anniversary of Janice's disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back