GUILTY CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, deceased/not found, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #68

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so many questions about how this was allowed to happen. Where was the bondsman who was supposed to make sure FD made it to court, why did Anna curry never call 911 and why did Atty Kevin smith from Pattis office not drive FD to Court as he had done previously to insure his client showed up which was his obligation? Little makes sense imo when reading the statements from Curry and Smith.
IIRC, FD was on the phone to a bondsman shortly before his suicide attempt. That was not Ira Judelman, the high-profile bondsman NP contacted for FD, but only when FD was on his deathbed in a NY hospital. Smith IMO was keeping clear of FD on the court date because of the then-anonymous threats he and NP had been getting. NP probably got out of town for the same reason (having pocketed the hefty retainer). (It appears from NP's website that he and Smith are no longer together.)

Worth a read…

She wasn't convicted on the basis that she had motive or no motive. She was convicted because she participated in the murder. She was not present at the time of the murder, but she was instrumental in providing a false alibi for Dulos, and participated in clean-up of the Tacoma (used during the murder), and disposal of evidence.

We heard that roughly 8-10 paper towel rolls were missing from Jennifer's garage, and we heard that Michelle was burning something on more than one occasion in her home fireplace that afternoon. It's reasonable to believe that she was burning paper evidence. Then she participated in disposing of other types of evidence such as sponges, bloody clothing and licence plates - evidence that could not be burned without leaving trace evidence.

As for motive, that seems obvious. Dulos was broke, and he very likely expected that Jennifer's death would leave him in control of her estate through the children. He wanted the children's wealth, not the children. The only way to achieve that was to murder Jennifer. Michelle benefitted from Dulos wealth.

"One likely ground for appeal will be Randolph's exclusion of a custody report from the Dulos divorce case. The defense believes that report was favorable to Fotis Dulos, bolstering Troconis's claim that she had no motive for helping her boyfriend murder his wife."

from your link: CBS News

There was a comment a few pages back questioning why Jennifer's bloody clothing was cut from her body. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Dulos wants to be sure that if her body is found, there is no way for it to be identified. Since her clothing could be recognized, that was separated from her body. There was so much blood at the crime scene (enough to declare her deceased) that I wonder whether her teeth were also damaged to prevent identification.

Regarding where her body might be, the pond and other undeveloped land near his home are often referenced. Given Dulos' history with water sports, water skiing, water in general, I think water is a good possibility for where he put her body.

I don't think that Dulos drove the 70 miles from Jennifer's home to his home with her body in the Tacoma. Although we know there was some trace of Jennifer's blood in the Tacoma, I think it is a result of transporting the garbage bags of evidence to his home (or nearby his home).

This 40 minute gap in time interests me. I'm sure it has been discussed in earlier discussion, but I only started reading here after the verdict. I'm curious about where Jennifer's body may be. Was this area searched?

1709750139581.png
Warrants

Missing 40 minutes
1709751069195.png
Map

Dulos might know of unofficial boat ramps or access to water in the area.
1709750724891.png
Map

About her previous bonds….

First arrest…. Troconis was released on a surety bond through Aces Bail Bonds in Bridgeport on June 3, 2019, court records show.

The second arrest occurred on Sept. 5, 2019. Troconis turned herself in to state police and was charged with tampering with evidence. She was released on a $100,000 surety bond that same day, also through Aces Bail Bonds in Bridgeport, according to court records.

Third arrest Jan 7, 2020…. Troconis' bail was set at $1.5 million. She was bonded out on Jan. 9, 2020, by Angel Khan of Ali Baba Bail Bonds, court records show.

Danny Baba, owner of Ali Baba Bail Bonds, said Troconis' family put money down and also made payments to go toward the 7 percent down payment, totaling $105,150. The family also put down more than one property as collateral if the bond itself had to be paid, Baba said.

About her previous bonds….

First arrest…. Troconis was released on a surety bond through Aces Bail Bonds in Bridgeport on June 3, 2019, court records show.

The second arrest occurred on Sept. 5, 2019. Troconis turned herself in to state police and was charged with tampering with evidence. She was released on a $100,000 surety bond that same day, also through Aces Bail Bonds in Bridgeport, according to court records.

Third arrest Jan 7, 2020…. Troconis' bail was set at $1.5 million. She was bonded out on Jan. 9, 2020, by Angel Khan of Ali Baba Bail Bonds, court records show.

Danny Baba, owner of Ali Baba Bail Bonds, said Troconis' family put money down and also made payments to go toward the 7 percent down payment, totaling $105,150. The family also put down more than one property as collateral if the bond itself had to be paid, Baba said.

What's that saying? -- throwing bad money after bad money.

She's forty-flipping-nine. What were they thinking? And honestly, what's with showcasing a defense she herself doesn't claim?

Her mouth never once said meeting FD was a mistake, getting involved with a married father was a mistake, moving into a home he wasn't paying for was a mistake, interfering with the divorce was a mistake, interfering with visitation was a mistake, covering for FD was a mistake, wishing JFd dead was a mistake, answering the call, providing an alibi, providing cleaning supplies, cleaning whatever she cleaned, setting fires, washing cars -- none of that.

Why are other people working harder than she is?

She seems to be standing firm with her 'I did nothing wrong'.

I wouldn't drop another dollar on her.

JMO

What's that saying? -- throwing bad money after bad money.

She's forty-flipping-nine. What were they thinking? And honestly, what's with showcasing a defense she herself doesn't claim?

Her mouth never once said meeting FD was a mistake, getting involved with a married father was a mistake, moving into a home he wasn't paying for was a mistake, interfering with the divorce was a mistake, interfering with visitation was a mistake, covering for FD was a mistake, wishing JFd dead was a mistake, answering the call, providing an alibi, providing cleaning supplies, cleaning whatever she cleaned, setting fires, washing cars -- none of that.

Why are other people working harder than she is?

She seems to be standing firm with her 'I did nothing wrong'.

I wouldn't drop another dollar on her.

JMO
Yeah, I wouldn’t drop another dollar on her either.

Looks like her family had a tough time putting up that $105,000 on her 1.5 mil bond, also putting up multiple properties as collateral. IMO, there is no way they could put up the money, etc for that current 6 mil bond.

Last edited:
Regarding a potential appeal, discussed above, based on Judge R’s exclusion of the custody report (I can’t even bear to type that phrase with out hearing a blaring horn in my ear); here are just some quick, high level points on appeals to keep in mind.

The defendant has to prove reversible error to get a new trial. Generally, as I have not done a deep dive into CT appellate law, reversible error is found where the Judge abused his very broad discretion with respect to an evidentiary or procedural element of the trial. Appeals are based on a matter of law and not a rehashing of the facts.

The appellate court will review the trial court record to decide if a legal mistake was made that caused substantial harm to the appellant (defendant/felon/inmate) such that it can only be remedied with a new trial.

They have to prove the trial court made a mistake of law. These mistakes are called prejudicial harm and/or reversible error. The burden is on the appellant. It is a high burden. The trial court does not have to prove it was right. The court is presumptively right.

Put a different way, was the Judge’s evidentiary ruling, to exclude the report, an abuse of discretion? If it was - that is the prejudice - that certain evidence was improperly excluded under the rules of evidence such that a new trial is the only remedy. The prejudice is not that the contents of the report might have been helpful.

An appeal is not a new trial; the appellate court will not consider new evidence; you cannot appeal a trial court’s decision just because you don’t like it.

Appeals based on evidentiary rulings of the trial court are usually not successful because the trial court has broad discretion here. The appellant has to show “abuse of discretion” by the trial court when it applied the law to the evidentiary matter in issue. This amounts to showing the court’s ruling was arbitrary or absurd.

If we start with the basic fact that the report was under seal, I can’t imagine any room for argument that the Judge abused his discretion to exclude it.

Hi all! Ive been on a cleaning break and
Am behind. Tonight after watching Super Tuesday , I was looking for a show. Here comes Jennifer’s Story. But, has anyone noticed this is NOT the show from last Fri? Have I lost my mind ? No, they re-did their story! What do y’all think?
Given the network behind that production it’s simply not on the watch list!

Enjoy and let us know if they find the body of JF.

Moo

IIRC, FD was on the phone to a bondsman shortly before his suicide attempt. That was not Ira Judelman, the high-profile bondsman NP contacted for FD, but only when FD was on his deathbed in a NY hospital. Smith IMO was keeping clear of FD on the court date because of the then-anonymous threats he and NP had been getting. NP probably got out of town for the same reason (having pocketed the hefty retainer). (It appears from NP's website that he and Smith are no longer together.)
Yes, everyone seems to have abandoned Pattis that was there at time of FD representation .

Wonder why(;
Moo

It's hard to understand why she didn't want to make a deal. Let's suppose she were innocent - okay you don't want to admit to something you did not do - but wouldn't she try for a deal saying everything she knew after the fact, really try to understand things, stop bashing JFd as someone she was afraid of and speak to the horror at FD being a murderer? And if guilty - which we all think she is including now the jury and the law - why not try to make a plea bargain? Did she REALLY think she could avoid any jail time at all? Was she just unable to admit the truth to her family and herself? Couldn't she have tried to pin it all on FD and paint herself another kind of victim? Does she not see the irony in CONTINUING to paint a picture of JFd (through the report she is obsessed with) as the "unhealthy" one of whom she was somehow afraid when she is the one who obviously JFd should have been afraid of, and you cannot call yourself the "healthy" one if even you turned a blind idea to you boyfriend murdering his wife, the mom of his kids? Do you think she has any self-awareness whatsoever or does she just continue to feel she is some kind of victim? It is so strange.

Unbelievable. He reminds me of Dr. Bombay!
@MollyDDD, per usual you are “on it”!

Found this wonderful quote about Dr Bombay:

Quotes​

From Bewitched:

Samantha : Then I thought of the most brilliant scientific mind of the age.
Dr. Bombay : Thank you.
Samantha : But he died a year ago, so I decided to call you.

Moo );

Jon Schoenhorn, who represented Troconis throughout the two-month trial, said he will be filing two motions by Friday: a post-trial motion for acquittal and a motion for a new trial.

“I don’t believe that this is a just verdict,” he said when reached by phone Tuesday. “And I intend to use the legal process to get as far as we can to right that wrong, in my opinion.”

Is he still talking?

Hubris and an unbelievable thought process linked to privilege. I feel that her thinking was from her background and her time with FD. After FD committed suicide, he left her holding a bag of garbage with no where to dump it.
It's hard to understand why she didn't want to make a deal. Let's suppose she were innocent - okay you don't want to admit to something you did not do - but wouldn't she try for a deal saying everything she knew after the fact, really try to understand things, stop bashing JFd as someone she was afraid of and speak to the horror at FD being a murderer? And if guilty - which we all think she is including now the jury and the law - why not try to make a plea bargain? Did she REALLY think she could avoid any jail time at all? Was she just unable to admit the truth to her family and herself? Couldn't she have tried to pin it all on FD and paint herself another kind of victim? Does she not see the irony in CONTINUING to paint a picture of JFd (through the report she is obsessed with) as the "unhealthy" one of whom she was somehow afraid when she is the one who obviously JFd should have been afraid of, and you cannot call yourself the "healthy" one if even you turned a blind idea to you boyfriend murdering his wife, the mom of his kids? Do you think she has any self-awareness whatsoever or does she just continue to feel she is some kind of victim? It is so strange.

There was a time I worried that JS was working so hard to get the custody report admitted so he could turn around and seek a mistrial/acquittal on the grounds it was entered at all. Like he was baiting the State to speak of it too.

It continues to worry me that a report which was deemed incomplete and ordered sealed has had so much air time. We should never have even heard of it.

The Defense shouldn't have been referencing it, the then-defendant (now Inmate #433612) shouldn't have had access to it nor been able to disseminate it, within the courtroom no less, but that was all the Defense's doing. IMO they can pound sand. And wait on steep sanctions if I had my way.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member