Silver Alert CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the recent Carpenter case from the US Supreme Court, they do generally need a warrant for those records of locations now. {{meta.pageTitle}}

5 to 4 decision. I see it even differently.
Courts are to interpret law. Not make new law. (Latest trends, used to be courts would make all kinds of new laws.)
So here, 5 justices chose to ignore a law on the books and carve out an exception to the communications exception by ignoring the Communications law cited that was relied on in getting cell records. That gives government the authority to get info. in certain circumstances. Active criminal investigation being one of the exceptions.
Cell numbers were voluntarily disclosed. So not fruit of poison tree.
I’m sure there’s more to this case than what was written in the opinions. They effectively removed a tool LE needs to expedite info gathering in criminal activity. Why?

I would have to go back to the Pattis patter on the Greece call but perhaps it was done over Skype or internet phone and not the cell phone?

I agree with you that Pattis even in his current mode of inconsistent and flat out wrong statements wouldn't ask for the phone to be excluded if it contained FD 'alibi' call IMO.

MOO
If he gave the phone willingly to the police when he went and planned it that way, I’m thinking it’s not likely it contained incriminating info.

Agree with you but I don't think JD wanted anything from FD other than custody BUT she also didn't want to be in the position of supporting him for the remainder of his life either, so she fought hard for what she wanted IMO.

Effectively FD was a kept man/gigolo with a sham job building houses supported by FIL money.

Sure he built houses and sold them for some profit but his income wasn't anywhere near being able to maintain the lifestyle they maintained on JD income and allow him to be on the road doing his thing 10 days out of the month for any period of time during the year.

MOO
Unfortunately if the divorce went to trial, she may have head to pay him to keep him that standard of living.

My bet is that this 'alibi' was sitting directly behind FD on camera this week in court and to whom the State referred in their comments about family members being used to contact children in contravention of FD no contact order. Purely speculation on my part.

The other 'Greek Connection' that we have talked about on here before was the FORE website webmaster that is from Greece. Would make total sense that you might be on a phone call asking your webmaster to make changes to the site etc. Does anyone recall what we know about this webmaster and connection to FD? Is this company any relation to FD?

Huge MOO!
Was that also a relative? I seem to remember a cousin? that was into computer/internet stuff

I think this is another million dollar question!

Initially I thought the CCTV cameras from the neighbors might have proven that FD was home or not. Then we got the info that MAYBE FD was aware of the cameras and so slipped out the rear of 4Jx to perhaps a car waiting for him at 80MS or 585 Deerfield. This opens up many possibilities I think for any trip down to NC from Farmington.

IDK if its connected but LE returned the Jeep Cherokee and Chevy Suburban to FD this past Friday in court, so I'm not sure if either of these are involved but I don't think we can rule these vehicles out either. LE kept the Ford 150 Raptor and didn't return it to FD so my guess is that it played a primary role somehow as all we know about so far is Rapton on Albany Ave with MT and the black contractor bags event.

I've always wondered about the FD Chevy Suburban being used to drive to NC as it blends in perfectly to the many other Suburbans but is also quite close in looks I think to JD Suburban. Suburban in NC is like hiding in plain sight in my mind. We will see I guess if it was used.

We don't know the entire net of security cameras in around Farmington to see if perhaps Doofus was captured somewhere/somehow on the morning of the 24th or possibly evening of 23th?

MOO
Gosh I wish there was a way to know where he stopped for gas. They may have a camera. Of course there are many gas stations from Farmington to NC so we’ll never likely know but he does have to get gas

Agree with you.

I do wonder though if in order to avoid footing the bill for FD to hit the beaches full time in Miami or Mykonos or Argentina for the rest of his life with a non-working MT, whether JD and her atty had to prove that FD had the ability to support himself and the children at some basic level. Could this have been why she was fighting so hard for FD financial disclosure? IDK.

The other thing that is hard here is that FD had an excellent education in Greece and US and that on the surface at least should be able to provide for himself and children without assistance from JD, just probably not at the level they were living with JD income etc. FD worked for a major consulting operation in NY so even though he is 50 might have been able to return to that life and work for a salary. IDK.

The question of what support FD might have rec'd in a divorce trial is one I'm not qualified to answer. If @gitana1 returns maybe she can explain possible outcomes with regard to FD getting support from JD in the trial.

MOO
I’m not an Atty and CT is not a community property state but I will say that after myself and several friends went through divorce, if the wife was making more $$$ than husband, even if he could go back and get a job- and the court could take into consideration that he’s 50 and lost career years- and they were married for a significant time, the court could make the wife pay to keep him at or near that standard of living. I have seen divorce CT cases- mine included- where wife had to pay husband- either in a lump sum, alimony, or both.

AFITZY POSTED:
I think I get what you are trying to say on the JD lawyering so correct me if I'm wrong in how I interpret your prior statements. Its a super interesting debate I think!

In terms of JD atty strategy in the divorce is your view that JD atty was working hard legally to 'score' as many points as he could on behalf of JD. So, the atty hit hard on as many points as he could in a very aggressive and unrelenting way to effectively 'beat down' FD legally? It seems like its the strategy that is seen used by JD atty that you are saying isn't 'efficient' or 'productive', if I'm reading you correctly? Right?

YES! You have stated so eloquently what I was trying to convey. I do think JD lawyer was being a zealous advocate, technically. You know the saying....work smarter, not harder...

I guess that is why the convo's here are so interesting and thought provoking IMO. We can all generally see the similar/same facts/event or patterns and interpret them slightly differently or entirely differently. Sometimes seeing other POV generates change in our views and sometimes not. But we keep rolling as eventually things come together most times.

Actually I don't disagree with your view of the atty's strategy at all and sure there are many ways to get from A to B in any legal situation -- JD atty was playing hardball and never quit so he was a total pitbull. Its so incredibly hard to understand the family court case with the documents not all out publicly, the entire file is so large and its impossible to see how the parties were working together (or not) in the beginning of the case and if this situation changed over time.

HA! I know someone who hired a pit bull. The ad in the yellow pages proclaimed: We fight for men and we fight to win! The opposing lawyer was very soft spoken and advised his client thus: We want him to think he is winning. He talked softly but carried a big stick.

We just know that many many documents were filed, parties rarely agreed on much, FD didn't comply with financial disclosure, FD didn't contribute financially to his childrens care/well being etc., and JD was singlemindedly focused on custody while at the same time, with her mother, footing the bills for virtually everything including FD legal bills, housing etc. We also have FD moving his mistress and her daughter into 4Jx which didn't probably do much for working morale in the case either IMO.

Was JD name on all that property? It wouldn't matter anyway as anything acquired during the marriage would be included in equitable distribution. The situation was horrendous. Why was she paying legal bills for him? Just asking....did you see that in documents? As for financial disclosure, did he submit some and they were asking for more? There was never going to be a fully accurate disclosure. That is one of the points I feel the lawyer should have just let go. Move on. IMO.

From just looking at the nearly 500 documents/motions/orders etc. filed in the case (this is public info on the state of ct website), to me at least it looked like FD atty fought back every single time to a motion from JD atty. Judge Heller in the recent custody decision order I think actually said FD filed 30+ more motions than JD. What is so sad though in looking at the public info, it doesn't seem like the divorce action was ever going to settle and that it was heading to trial. It just seemed that the 2 parties were at total loggerheads and simply could not agree on anything ever. You combine this inability to agree with FD non compliance with financial disclosure and inability to follow basic rules with the custody arrangements and its seems inevitable that you end up with a totally toxic and combustible situation.

Agreed. Never going to settle.

The FD situation was unwinnable IMO against the vast resources of the Farber family and logic might say that it was in his best interest to settle early and move on with his life. With settlement FD would have gotten some kind of support arrangement, might have gotten 4Jx and been able to keep on at some level with the FORE business sham, if that is what he wanted to do. BUT, he didn't settle and so fought on and on, even with minimal resources vs the Farbers. To me at least it looks like FD was willing to throw a match and pour gasoline on not just his life but his business in order to 'win' against the Farbers and his decision making was not logic based on any level IMO. I can't wrap my head around setting your life on fire at aged 50 but who knows, perhaps FD is an optimist and was going to regroup and rebuild his life. IDK.

I should look at the available documents. Did any docs ever state what each party was asking for? Usually that would be stated by now.

How do you deal with an opponent in a litigation that is willing to burn down everything in their life in order to win? This person won't stop and the legal action will simply never end? To me, one legal option is to simply crush the opponent and I think this is what JD atty might have been trying to do. Just a guess on my part!

You may be right and probably are right about the intent of JD attorney.

I am curious with your insight into the legal process where you think JD atty could have operated differently and possibly averted a nearly 2 year period in court with little accomplished other than the custody? Your question of strategy is a super interesting one and I'm curious what you think!

IMO, no matter how much he held FD feet to the fire, I don't think it would have affected the financial outcome. Because it's equitable distribution and impossible to know what FD has really done with money and even if you know, you're not getting it back. You can maybe get a judgment for it, but good luck trying to collect. Since JD was paying for everything, when that happens in divorce, that money is figured into the equation at the divorce trial and the final settlement takes that into account. I don't think there is much traceable money left to draw from. There are the properties, but what is the true value/equity? The financial value of anything related to FD diminishes by the day and has been for some time.

To your point about the JD lawyering, could different tactics and strategy possibly ended up in a different result or settlement? I guess anything is possible, but if the person you are engaging with in your legal action has zero interest in settling and simply wants to fight on the death, I'm not sure what other options were available from a strategy standpoint from JD attys. but I'm open to hearing options!

I think my point all along is that all the motions and court dates by both sides were a waste. I don't think the result would be much different without all the motions. I feel like JD lawyer couldn't see the forest for the trees. In fact, things were getting worse and worse in the finance area. I think JD was given poor advice. Was there ever a contempt motion for failure to comply? If not, why not? Why not send FD to jail for 10 days and let him think about complying? If you are serious about getting info, that's what should have happened. Otherwise, let it go and move toward trial. They can't win if you don't play. Some have been critical of my criticism of JD attorney and taken that as a criticism of her as well. It is NOT. She was just following legal advice. I am 100% for Jennifer. Any maybe I am 100% wrong about the advice she received. IMO.

MOO, MOO, MOO!
Agree with you. I knew a man who was going through a bitter CT divorce and the wife also had a character disorder. The Atty wisely told him you’re never going to win by trying to fight this “crazy” person so the best thing to do was to give her a bunch of money- which is what she wanted - and be done with it. You’ll be there for years trying to get what’s just and fair but you’ll never get it so best to cut losses and be done with it. And this is MOO MOO MOO MOO, I probably would have given up money in exchange for custody - we know he likes money. He was EVER going to pay insurance for children, alimony, or child support. I don’t think that was ever his intention. He calculated that too. I do think he would have taken a lump sum to keep his lifestyle and went back to Greece. MOO MOO MOO MOO. Back to my friends case, the wife eventually took $$$$$$$ and a property in another state.

Agree with you. I knew a man who was going through a bitter CT divorce and the wife also had a character disorder. The Atty wisely told him you’re never going to win by trying to fight this “crazy” person so the best thing to do was to give her a bunch of money- which is what she wanted - and be done with it. You’ll be there for years trying to get what’s just and fair but you’ll never get it so best to cut losses and be done with it. And this is MOO MOO MOO MOO, I probably would have given up money in exchange for custody - we know he likes money. He was EVER going to pay insurance for children, alimony, or child support. I don’t think that was ever his intention. He calculated that too. I do think he would have taken a lump sum to keep his lifestyle and went back to Greece. MOO MOO MOO MOO. Back to my friends case, the wife eventually took $$$$$$$ and a property in another state.
Should have said NEVER not EVER. sorry for that.

WOW!.. @Fitzy The picture you found is the woman who was at the hearing....I'm shocked.

This, however, is the picture I found that was on the linked-in resume for Rena Kyrimi:

Big difference...eh? This seems more in line with a 65-66 year-old-woman, IMO.

Maybe the photo you found is her daughter???? Perhaps Greeks name their children after themselves???? Or, some her fortune went to extensive plastic surgery. Beats me...

Gosh I wish there was a way to know where he stopped for gas. They may have a camera. Of course there are many gas stations from Farmington to NC so we’ll never likely know but he does have to get gas
Interesting question.

If FD were driving EE Toyota Tacoma here is the info on fuel tank size 21.1 g and 20 mpg.

Used 2016 Toyota Tacoma Features & Specs | Edmunds

So it doesn't look like he would need to fill up to go RT from NC to Farmington which is rought 131 miles RT if he started with a full tank. But maybe he did need fuel so did stop along the way and was captured on CCTV.

A good friend of mine is currently embroiled in a lawsuit brought by her brother over their mother's property. Brother is greedy and feels entitled. (He says "I'm the oldest son!")
My friend is not affluent and in her case, this is about property not custody. However, her attorney advised her to settle, otherwise he would drag this out in the courts and it would cost her more in attorney fees. I told her to take her attorney's advice, even though morally, she is in the right. (The brother already has three acres in a desirable area of O'ahu). So I agree with you. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses. I always say, you can make more money.

Courts are to interpret law. Not make new law. (Latest trends, used to be courts would make all kinds of new laws.)
So here, 5 justices chose to ignore a law on the books and carve out an exception to the communications exception by ignoring the Communications law cited that was relied on in getting cell records. That gives government the authority to get info. in certain circumstances. Active criminal investigation being one of the exceptions.
I’m sure there’s more to this case than what was written in the opinions. They effectively removed a tool LE needs to expedite info gathering in criminal activity. Why?
Yeah I don’t really agree with the outcome but that’s the law of the land now. 4th amendment took precedence according to the majority. And it’s the highest court in the country so is what it is. Privacy advocates applauded the decision. In my own opinion, I don’t think one necessarily has a reasonable expectation of privacy as to one’s whereabouts in public, but the court disagreed.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a catastrophic decision though. LE just needs to have probable cause (which in this case would be easy to get) to get a warrant for the records. Also I think it would require them to set a time period for the records (in this case, say going back to January 2019 or maybe earlier). In theory, one could construct your entire location history for years or decades if you have access to someone’s cell records, and I think the court was concerned with that sort of blanket surveillance going back to whenever. LE agencies will still have cell location data as a powerful tool, but they’ll have to take That warrant step to safeguard due process. It’s pretty consistent with the courts ruling in the Riley v California case a few years ago on searches of cell phones incident to arrest, also requiring a warrant. Riley v. California - Wikipedia Sorry I’m a law geek (lawyer) and have taught constitutional law in past lol. I have a pretty conservative view of the law as well. Bottom line is LE will still have powerful new tools but just have to safeguard privacy with warrant procedure. Even tho I don’t plan to commit any crimes I always try to look at the flip side and think about whether I or anyone I love were ever truly accused of a crime falsely by some rogue totalitarian government and our bill of rights does protect us (for the time being) against some bad stuff that routinely happens in other places (ie Russia).

Interesting question.

If FD were driving EE Toyota Tacoma here is the info on fuel tank size 21.1 g and 20 mpg.

Used 2016 Toyota Tacoma Features & Specs | Edmunds

So it doesn't look like he would need to fill up to go RT from NC to Farmington which is rought 131 miles RT if he started with a full tank. But maybe he did need fuel so did stop along the way and was captured on CCTV.

Or he carried gas cans like another criminal we know...(felon arias)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd