Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading on bail forfeiture. If FD dies, I assume the case will be dismissed.
Suicide is not illegal in CT so no additional crime was committed while FD was out on bail.
It is probably up to the judge.

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad a few years ago and I miss him every day.

I don’t understand how or why FD was out on bond either. Unfortunately, he chose his own selfish cowardice over his children. :(
Thank you for your condolences. It was a long, hard road and another one ahead.

Luckily those children have an amazing grandmother and aunt who will help see them through. The sooner all of this drama ends, the better for those poor kids.

My mind keeps coming back to the same thing: Why was FD out on bond? LE has been so on point during this investigation. How could they underestimate this possibility?! I don't want to blame LE but it is very difficult for me to understand why he was not in custody and on suicide watch. Even if only for his children's sakes. Even behind bars, these little kids would still have a father. Now with the way things are going, they are not likely to have any parent at all. It breaks my heart. My father passed away on Sunday and I was so fortunate to have a wonderful dad who would never, ever hurt his family. We only get two parents and no matter what, they are precious to us. MOO
@isabella88, condolences on your father as he sounded like a wonderful man and dad; you were lucky to have had him!

I hope that some kind of investigation into the situation of Fd at 4Jx yesterday does take place. If his friend left at 10:30 am, we assume he entered the car shortly thereafter, and he was pulled out of the car at a little after noontime, then he potentially had exposure for maybe 1 hr and 15-20 min or so? We don't know if he set the car up and had it running in advance of entering the car after his friend left 4Jx.

I'm not sure suicide risk can really be fully assessed by any of the professionals involved here whether its Atty Colangelo, Atty. P. or others. But, systems were in place to track Fd and they didn't seem to be functioning yesterday and so I think that can be looked at, as what we have learned about CO2 is that minutes and seconds matter. Yesterday, we have bracelet monitors from Parole calling Fd cellphone multiple times and simply waiting for him to pick up.That doesn't sound like a 'best or effective practice' to me. I just hope the State looks at it all.

MOO

My mind keeps coming back to the same thing: Why was FD out on bond? LE has been so on point during this investigation. How could they underestimate this possibility?! I don't want to blame LE but it is very difficult for me to understand why he was not in custody and on suicide watch. Even if only for his children's sakes. Even behind bars, these little kids would still have a father. Now with the way things are going, they are not likely to have any parent at all. It breaks my heart. My father passed away on Sunday and I was so fortunate to have a wonderful dad who would never, ever hurt his family. We only get two parents and no matter what, they are precious to us. MOO
This had nothing to do with law enforcement. If they had their way, FD would be behind bars right now.

Connecticut allows bond for people charged with murder. That’s the law.

@isabella88, condolences on your father as he sounded like a wonderful man and dad; you were lucky to have had him!

I hope that some kind of investigation into the situation of Fd at 4Jx yesterday does take place. If his friend left at 10:30 am, we assume he entered the car shortly thereafter, and he was pulled out of the car at a little after noontime, then he potentially had exposure for maybe 1 hr and 15-20 min or so? We don't know if he set the car up and had it running in advance of entering the car after his friend left 4Jx.

I'm not sure suicide risk can really be fully assessed by any of the professionals involved here whether its Atty Colangelo, Atty. P. or others. But, systems were in place to track Fd and they didn't seem to be functioning yesterday and so I think that can be looked at, as what we have learned about CO2 is that minutes and seconds matter. Yesterday, we have bracelet monitors from Parole calling Fd cellphone multiple times and simply waiting for him to pick up.That doesn't sound like a 'best or effective practice' to me. I just hope the State looks at it all.

MOO
Thank you, I sure was lucky! You're right about suicide risk, it's a tough call. Especially with someone like FD, I'd imagine. Not exactly wearing his heart on his sleeve! It will be interesting to learn (hopefully) exactly how this played out, IMO.

Many hospitals, if not most, spend millions on uncompensated care each year, meaning they pick up the tab for patients with no insurance etc. I would think there would be massive lawsuits daily if any hospital or insurance company would effectively end a life by refusing further care. Just in my experience ...
Thanks, I was trying to figure out how it could all play out.

Its just that end of life type of decisions can be tricky and maintaining someone on life support can be expensive. I just wondered if insurers could deny this coverage while a patient was in the hospital and without an advocate?

MOO

Thanks, I was trying to figure out how it could all play out.

Its just that end of life type of decisions can be tricky and maintaining someone on life support can be expensive. I just wondered if insurers could deny this coverage while a patient was in the hospital and without an advocate?

MOO
As far as an advocate, when a patient does not already have papers in place like an advance directive or power of attorney in the event they are incapacitated and cannot make decisions for themselves ... In most cases, a guardian is established. The guardian can then make decisions on the patient's care and sometimes even finances.

Does the insurer have to approve all care decisions and can the insurer decline to pay for certain treatment? Can the insurer effective evaluation an end of life client who might be on life support and say that they will no longer provide coverage?

If Fd doesn't have a living will or healthcare proxy and he isn't able to speak for himself and his next of kin isn't here, then how is treatment being administered? Who has been responsible for directly Fd healthcare during the present crisis?

I've been reading a bit about the oxygen therapy and the opinions on the value of the treatment are all over the map IMO. Is it possible that Fd insurance company might deny that treatment and that without the financial ability to pay for it himself then he won't have access to that service?

MOO

SBM. In our insurance case, we have to have prior approval for major items like surgery and expensive testing but our doctors file a plan and we have never had it rejected-- including a move from one hospital to another for emergency surgery b/c the initial hospital had no intensive care unit, which was needed ultimately. I would surmise that in the case of airlifting to a higher level trauma hospital that had standard care of CO poisoning would be something that was approved as soon as possible, even though costs would be incredibly high. If the insurance company stalled and he died as a result then there could be some issues of refusal of treatment causing a death. I have seen articles that discuss insurers pulling the plug, in a CA case the insurer was told they needed to pay after a protracted battle (In a coma, with the plug pulled on health insurance – Center for Public Integrity). It is a great question.

From what I have seen if there is not an advanced directive and the person is unable to state their wishes, the state/hospital decides (My legal next of kin | Novant Health | Choices and Champions) in many cases. For Fd, unless he has a directive, it is usually spouse first, children, then parent or sibling. I can't imagine having to step into this role on behalf of my sibling but as a last surviving member of a family it must be terrible. Until next of kin is there to make decisions the hospital/state makes the decision and it is usually a conservative decision making tree.

Fotis Dulos, Charged With Killing His Wife, Jennifer, Attempts Suicide

Quotes from article:
As of Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Dulos was being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and was in critical condition, said Lt. Timothy McKenzie, a spokesman for the Farmington police.

Though Mr. Dulos was initially taken to UConn Health in Farmington, Conn., he was later taken by helicopter to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx for further treatment, officials in New York said.

The Bronx hospital has a hyperbaric chamber, a high-pressure machine that can be used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr. Dulos was found in a vehicle in the garage of his home in Farmington, a suburb of Hartford, at around noon, Lieutenant McKenzie said. Officers were sent there after Mr. Dulos had not shown up for a scheduled court appearance.

Through a window, officers could see that Mr. Dulos was in “medical distress,” Lieutenant McKenzie said. They forced their way into the garage and immediately began to perform “lifesaving measures,” he said.

Footage from local television stations showed emergency responders performing CPR on a person lying in the home’s driveway.Mr. Dulos’s lawyer, Norm Pattis, said in a statement that he had been told that Mr. Dulos was taken to the hospital with a pulse. A spokeswoman for UConn Health declined to comment, referring questions to the Farmington police.

Lieutenant McKenzie declined to comment on whether or not Mr. Dulos had attempted suicide, saying that detectives were continuing to investigate the scene.

I am sorry for your loss. I wish you peace and gentleness as you go through this painful process.

Police Execute Search Warrant at Fotis Dulos’ Farmington Home

Quotes from article:
On Tuesday, Pattis said he was in Washington, DC on Tuesday for another case when he received word that there would be an emergency bond hearing and they were ordered to appear in court at noon Tuesday.

"When Mr. Dulos did not arrive in court at noon, his GPS device was tracked and it determined he was in his home," Pattis said. "Officers arrived and found him non-responsive in his garage."

"Obviously, the potential for a bond revocation was devastating news to him, but throughout, he has been a fighter and resolute. In our review of the discovery, we very much liked our options for trial and we very much liked our possibility of success, so this development comes as stunning news to me," Pattis said.

Pattis said he has represented people for more than 30 years and "not once did it ever occur to me that he might be a risk of suicide."

Not once did it ever occur to me that he might be a risk of suicide.

Attorney Norm Pattis
Fotis Dulos' civil attorney, Rich Rochlin, also said he was shocked by his client attempting to take his own life.

"It's sad to see that somebody you spend so much time with who is always fighting for his kids and someone who maintained his innocence decided that the pain was too great and that's a hard thing to process, frankly,” Rochlin said.

Carrie Luft, a spokesperson for Jennifer Dulos' family and friends, declined to comment on the situation.

SUICIDE PREVENTION HELP: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Officers remain at Dulos' Farmington home on Wednesday, a crime scene van was parked in front and police cruisers are in the back.

MOO
Although if she left at 11:15, which I thought was initially reported yesterday, he would have been in the car for about 45 minutes or less, depending on how much time it took him to hook up the hose and whatever else he had to do.

Imo

Although if she left at 11:15, which I thought was initially reported yesterday, he would have been in the car for about 45 minutes or less, depending on how much time it took him to hook up the hose and whatever else he had to do.

Imo
The timing of the Fd friend yesterday I think got various reporting. There was one reporter from WFSB that was positioned outside of 4Jx that reported seeing the woman leave and return. The reporter gave the information to LE as she didn't know who the woman was and so was understandably concerned. I don't recall whether this reporter said on the live feed what time they saw the woman leave 4Jx. The woman returning to 4Jx was a captured by the WSFB drone footage as I believe she was driving Fd white BMW sedan and when she returned I believe Fd had been removed from the garage and was receiving CPR from first responders. The woman is visible on the live feed video clips but as of yesterday I don't believe she had been identified in the press. Today the woman was identified although little about her is known.

In this article the bondsman ( Mark Motuxzick ) states that Fd said he was on his way to his attorney's office. And, this bondsman did not back the first 6 million dollar bond and Fd was going back to him to ask. If there is no other communication between Fd and bonds people or legal team, this may have been the final straw. If he couldn't get a bondsman before court, he was staying in jail.

Somewhere (on Tuesday) I read or heard that Fd was really uncomfortable on house arrest. So, jail would have been a deal breaker for him.

Last edited:
Why would the bondsman go to his home between 11 and noon if Fd was supposed to be in Stamford at noon?

11 a.m. to noon: In the hour before the expected court hearing, officials become concerned that Dulos had not arrived in Stamford yet.
McGuigan said he and a private bondsman arrived at the Dulos home in Farmington to serve notice that they would be formally moving in court to pull the bond. McGuigan said he encountered a state of confusion.

Farmington police were on the scene, joined by emergency medical personnel.

TIMELINE: Fotis Dulos in critical condition, suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning after attempted suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces