Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW I just went over the motion filed against NP and just WOW there are some very obvious violations or Rules 1.5 & 1.6 concerning fees. Just the way the contact is written alone is a violation. A lawyer cant accept payment for services not rendered, the retainer is not meant to be a bonus for the lawyer rending services under the costs expected and they should know that tsk tsk tsk.

So when a lawyer accepts a retainer they are legally required to keep the funds in a trust account (used solely for that client's funds) and then they can pay themselves only as fees are earned or expenses are incurred that way they can keep a record of withdrawals and the charges incurring as they happen.... So I could be wrong about this next part, but because the language of the contract says the client agrees that the full payment is considered to go to completed work (a violation of the rules/she can't do that) I'm thinking maybe she didnt put the fee into a trust because the contact states it for "completed work"... these funds should have been returned immediately, and because she only represented the client for about two weeks theres no reasonable way to claim shed dont that much work. If im being really generous $20,000 for two weeks, tops and i even think thats a bit ridiculous. This is a huge violation and she could get disbarred for it ....which is why i think maybe she hasn't returned the money because she cant... because its gone.. maybe she just thought people would forget about the retainer over time? I cant really fathom why shes still holding onto this money its super shady IMO

I'm not fully caught up, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.... who is the "SHE" you are referring to?

I'm not fully caught up, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.... who is the "SHE" you are referring to?

ivegotthemic is a law student who has generously been helping us understand some of the legal details. She hasn't followed the case from the beginning.

I believe that "she" is a misunderstanding on NP's gender. It's his (NP's) actions to which her comments refer. (And, I am assuming that ivegotthemic is a she, but I could be wrong.)

ivegotthemic is a law student who has generously been helping us understand some of the legal details. She hasn't followed the case from the beginning.

I believe that "she" is a misunderstanding on NP's gender. It's his (NP's) actions to which her comments refer. (And, I am assuming that ivegotthemic is a she, but I could be wrong.)

I promise I was not being facetious. I was actually confused.

I was thinking that maybe ivegotthemic might have been writing in another language and translated, which doesn’t matter either way and the posts are very informative. That’s the most common thing I find with he/she differences using translation in a lot of languages, fwiw.

I wonder how Weinstein got the info he included in his brief--e.g., that the money Pattis got from Dulos was expended to people or for things unrelated to P&S's representation of FD in the criminal matter. Any forensic accountants on this thread?

I wonder how Weinstein got the info he included in his brief--e.g., that the money Pattis got from Dulos was expended to people or for things unrelated to P&S's representation of FD in the criminal matter. Any forensic accountants on this thread?
^^bbm

Attorney: Declaring Jennifer Dulos dead could set CT precedent

“Attorney John Williams, representing Pattis, said his client had an arrangement with Fotis Dulos that the $250,000 included payment for earlier services provided while representing him on the earlier tampering with evidence and hindering prosecution charges in the case.

The signed agreement attached to Weinstein’s objection to the settlement does not indicate any of the money was payment for previous services.”

In one of Atty Hug’s filings with Superior Court he says there was also an amount due from P& S’s first retainer with Dulos. That contract was for $50k. Then they got an additional $150k out of FD, as I recall Hug said, for which there was no contract. Plenty of grist for the Chief Disciplinary Counsel to order an investigation. IMO.
^^bbm

@pernickety - I've missed the brief you reference by Weinstein and only see Attorney Williams making claim the 2020 January payment at $250k included payment for prior services.

However, what's clear in all the agreements is that none of them include costs advanced which typically do not run in the tens or hundreds of thousands so I'd like to see NP explain that one. I'd be pleased to see the money trail deem NP complicit in FD's surety/bail fraud that I believe proved the last straw for FD to end his life.

MOO

^^bbm

^^bbm

@pernickety - I've missed the brief you reference by Weinstein and only see Attorney Williams making claim the 2020 January payment at $250k included payment for prior services.

However, what's clear in all the agreements is that none of them include costs advanced which typically do not run in the tens or hundreds of thousands so I'd like to see NP explain that one. I'd be pleased to see the money trail deem NP complicit in FD's surety/bail fraud that I believe proved the last straw for FD to end his life.

MOO

There was another payment in the fall of 2019 for which no contract was signed according to the Stamford Advocate's report of the original Hug filing. If this article is accurate NP and his firm were paid a total of $455,000 for a case that never went to trial. :

Fotis Dulos paid Pattis and Smith $50,000 after he was first arrested in June 2019, according to Hug’s lawsuit. Fotis Dulos also paid the attorneys $155,000 prior to his second arrest on a tampering with evidence charge in September 2019, Hug said.

In his lawsuit, Hug claims Pattis and Smith broke their June 2019 agreement with Fotis Dulos by failing to reimburse unused portions of the $50,000 and by spending exorbitant amounts on items that were not connected with his defense.

(Add in the January $250K payment, also)
Jennifer Dulos’ mother opposes Norm Pattis’ settlement offer in legal fees dispute.

Attorney: Declaring Jennifer Dulos dead could set CT precedent

“Attorney John Williams, representing Pattis, said his client had an arrangement with Fotis Dulos that the $250,000 included payment for earlier services provided while representing him on the earlier tampering with evidence and hindering prosecution charges in the case.

The signed agreement attached to Weinstein’s objection to the settlement does not indicate any of the money was payment for previous services.”

In one of Atty Hug’s filings with Superior Court he says there was also an amount due from P& S’s first retainer with Dulos. That contract was for $50k. Then they got an additional $150k out of FD, as I recall Hug said, for which there was no contract. Plenty of grist for the Chief Disciplinary Counsel to order an investigation. IMO.
I guess Norm wants us to believe he had already put in $170k in work and was going to handle the case through trial and appeal for only $80k? What a joke. Too bad he forgot to include payment for prior services in the contract. Oops.

I was thinking that maybe ivegotthemic might have been writing in another language and translated, which doesn’t matter either way and the posts are very informative. That’s the most common thing I find with he/she differences using translation in a lot of languages, fwiw.

I want to be clear, @ivegotthemic was not the problem. It was my processing of the information. Because I do not understand law stuff, I was actually concerned that GF was the "she" and I was worried that something she or her lawyer did was a mistake. Ivegotthemic has been and continues to be AMAZING at explaining the laws and how they work in a way that someone with no law experience can understand.

JMO

We have all been saying since the beginning that this case needed a forensic accountant... does anyone know if that ever happened or if any of the people now involved is a forensic accountant?

Speaking of forensic accountants, is there nothing in this mess that the FBI and the IRS couldn’t work on? They have such amazing experts and this case is so complicated and convoluted that the help surely would be appreciated by the side for justice for JFD, I’d think. MOO.

^^bbm

^^bbm

MOO

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=19365123

p. 3, para 15 - Dean v. P&S & NP complaint

“…including payments made by and to third parties unrelated to any criminal case for which the Law Firm was representing Fotis Dulos…

See also Hug’s case v. P&S— “paying unnecessary expenses unrelated to scope of representation, etc.” bottom pg 2

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=19411268

What does bbm mean?

Speaking of forensic accountants, is there nothing in this mess that the FBI and the IRS couldn’t work on? They have such amazing experts and this case is so complicated and convoluted that the help surely would be appreciated by the side for justice for JFD, I’d think. MOO.
I've thought that too. FBI for money laundering--particularly funds from Greece? Or even NYC? Any wire fraud there? And IRS for any income or corporate taxes due from Dulos for all those real estate deals? Then I've read that any "transfers" from an estate can be claimed by the IRS for taxes due. Wondered Hug's gift to NP waiving of around 1/2 NP's fee from FD would be considered a transfer? Don't think there'd be an estate tax due b/c estate's not worth that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gymbo