Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes-Suburbans are 3-seaters, with plenty of room for a Thule. Thanks for the reminder about the Thule-I’d forgotten about that.
There it is then.

Binds her. Body goes in Thule inside the Suburban. Meets second Suburban. Trades one Thule for a second Thule. Second Thule goes atop Jennifer's Suburban.

Jmo

IMO, there's not one journalist tagged by team MT who isn't aware the Tweets are noting more than collateral attacks on Orders by the Court-- or decisions not favorable to the defendant. Besides --they all know you get what you pay for in CT. And it's long known Fd paid Herman $8K to testify (albeit he walked out of the hearing), and another $20K for the evaluation! MOO

After the state appellate Court recently upheld the ruling that child custody records between JFd and Fd would remain sealed, the high Court added that trying to produce the transcripts “constituted an impermissible collateral attack on a sealing order.”

In response, shameless Shoenhorn offered the following:

“I brought this civil action on my own behalf as a matter of principle. I guess the court is not as concerned as I remain about the secret proceedings held behind closed doors without a good cause finding.

Ruling Upheld by Appellate Court

Fotis Dulos paid Herman $28,000

Refresher on Pattis leaking from the sealed custody report but not before adding his own spin

6/26/2019

[..]

Pattis said Fotis Dulos is ready to cooperate with prosecutors — if he’s allowed to discuss with them the confidential psychological report about the family filed in the divorce case.

The report — how a copy ended up at Fotis Dulos’ house, and whether Pattis could use it in his defense — was the main subject of a contentious half-hour hearing before Judge Donna Heller, who is overseeing the divorce case.

A lawyer representing Jennifer Dulos, Reuben Midler, said Pattis was “attempting to use something inadmissible to create a defense.”

Pattis said the report would be admissible. “She acted in reliance on that report. She told Mr. Dulos based on that report, ‘You will never see your children, I will see to it.’”

[..]

Michael Meehan, a Bridgeport attorney and a court-appointed guardian ad litem for the five Dulos children, requested Wednesday’s hearing.

Meehan accused Pattis of violating a court order that sealed a recent custody and psychological evaluation done on the family by speaking to the media about Jennifer Dulos’ psychological status. Those comments could be seen by her children, Meehan said.

“I am concerned on behalf of my wards,” Meehan told the judge.

He also said Fotis Dulos’ previous divorce lawyer [Rich Rochlin] gave him an affidavit refuting some of the claims Pattis made in a court filing.

[..]

Pattis said he “glanced” at the psychological report and did not read closely before returning it — but that he did so after making statements about it. Then, a reporter called him preparing what he described as a “hit piece” asking him to confirm earlier statements.

[..]

“This is a family case,” Midler said. “This is not an opportunity for the defendant to establish a criminal defense, which is I think what is going on.”

Heller said she was “concerned the report was not protected” the way she envisioned when the order was issued.

She said the report will remain sealed and will be available for lawyers to review and reiterated the rules concerning the document.

[..]

In the latest motions filed on Tuesday, Midler wants Fotis Dulos and his counsel held in contempt and for the court to impose sanctions for violating the judge’s order sealing the evaluation.

Midler is also asking for Meehan to be removed as the court-appointed guardian ad litem for the Dulos children. The motion accuses Meehan of wrongly releasing the evaluation to Fotis Dulos and his attorneys.

9/20/2019

[..]

Fotis and Jennifer Dulos were in the midst of an acrimonious divorce and custody battle when she disappeared on May 24 — just days after a hearing regarding an emergency custody order that could have granted Fotis Dulos more access to their five children.

Emergency custody hearings were held at the request of Fotis Dulos before Judge Donna N. Heller on May 10 and May 17. The hearings included testimony from court-appointed psychiatrist Dr. Stephen Herman who met with Fotis Dulos 14 times as part of an evaluation of the Dulos family to help determine suitable custody of the children.
Herman’s conclusions were summarized in a sealed report dated April 24, according to a motion filed by attorney Rich Rochlin, who is representing Fotis Dulos in the divorce.

[..]

Heller has ordered Herman’s testimony stricken from the record, ruled the hearings as a mistrial, since they were never completed, and required that his report remained sealed. Heller also noted in the order that anyone who reveals or releases the report could face sanctions or contempt of court.

Rochlin said Fotis Dulos has also met with Dr. Stephen Humphrey, a court-appointed Hartford psychiatrist, 20 times in the last two years.

Humphrey concluded that Fotis Dulos was a “gregarious and confident person” who had no psychopathic tendencies, Rochlin wrote in court documents seeking a mental health evaluation for Jennifer Dulos’ mother, Gloria Farber, who now has temporary custody of the children.

July 10, 2022

The Supreme Court took the case directly, bypassing the intermediate Appellate Court, after Hartford lawyer Jon Schoenhorn appealed a decision by a Superior Court judge, which he argues improperly denied him the transcript of a two-day divorce hearing concerning custody of the Dulos children.

The hearing was called to take testimony from Dr. Stephen Herman, a child psychologist who attracted attention when, in another high profile custody case, he testified that the experts at Yale New Haven Hospital were wrong when they concluded Woody Allen had not molested his 7-year-old daughter, Dylan.

In written arguments filed with the Supreme Court, Schoenhorn argues the public was barred from the Dulos hearing and the transcript was sealed based on a secret — and, as a result, impermissible — court order. What’s more, he said, after getting a copy of the so-called order it is illegal and invalid because it doesn’t comply with stringent requirements judges must follow before closing courts to the public and sealing transcripts.

[..]

Attorney General William Tong’s office opposed release of the transcript. The office told Schoenhorn a year ago, by email attached to a Supreme Court filing, that there was a sealing order and it was public. Schoenhorn was told he couldn’t find it because, due to a clerical error, the public order sealing the transcript had been inadvertently sealed.

“It has come to our attention that there was a clerical error that led to the entire May 14, 2019, transcript being marked as sealed,” the email said. “Only Dr. Herman’s testimony was sealed. The remainder of the May 14, 2019, transcript, including the court’s order sealing the courtroom, was not subject to the sealing order. The clerical issue has been resolved. Please find attached the transcript of the portion of the May 14, 2019, hearing that is not subject to the sealing order.”

Schoenhorn said he has been unable to learn how Tong’s office obtained the mistakenly sealed order and why he could not. Tong’s office declined to discuss the case.

Refresher on Pattis leaking from the sealed custody report but not before adding his own spin

6/26/2019

[..]

Pattis said Fotis Dulos is ready to cooperate with prosecutors — if he’s allowed to discuss with them the confidential psychological report about the family filed in the divorce case.

The report — how a copy ended up at Fotis Dulos’ house, and whether Pattis could use it in his defense — was the main subject of a contentious half-hour hearing before Judge Donna Heller, who is overseeing the divorce case.

A lawyer representing Jennifer Dulos, Reuben Midler, said Pattis was “attempting to use something inadmissible to create a defense.”

Pattis said the report would be admissible. “She acted in reliance on that report. She told Mr. Dulos based on that report, ‘You will never see your children, I will see to it.’”

[..]

Michael Meehan, a Bridgeport attorney and a court-appointed guardian ad litem for the five Dulos children, requested Wednesday’s hearing.

Meehan accused Pattis of violating a court order that sealed a recent custody and psychological evaluation done on the family by speaking to the media about Jennifer Dulos’ psychological status. Those comments could be seen by her children, Meehan said.

“I am concerned on behalf of my wards,” Meehan told the judge.

He also said Fotis Dulos’ previous divorce lawyer [Rich Rochlin] gave him an affidavit refuting some of the claims Pattis made in a court filing.

[..]

Pattis said he “glanced” at the psychological report and did not read closely before returning it — but that he did so after making statements about it. Then, a reporter called him preparing what he described as a “hit piece” asking him to confirm earlier statements.

[..]

“This is a family case,” Midler said. “This is not an opportunity for the defendant to establish a criminal defense, which is I think what is going on.”

Heller said she was “concerned the report was not protected” the way she envisioned when the order was issued.

She said the report will remain sealed and will be available for lawyers to review and reiterated the rules concerning the document.

[..]

In the latest motions filed on Tuesday, Midler wants Fotis Dulos and his counsel held in contempt and for the court to impose sanctions for violating the judge’s order sealing the evaluation.

Midler is also asking for Meehan to be removed as the court-appointed guardian ad litem for the Dulos children. The motion accuses Meehan of wrongly releasing the evaluation to Fotis Dulos and his attorneys.
I think Midler was right-Meehan was responsible for fD getting that sealed evaluation, and subsequently, giving it to NP, MT, and JS. I’m sure it categorized Jennifer as a bad parent because of suicidal ideation, and points to the “Gone Girl” defense. Except they all know she didn’t kill herself. FD did it, with the help of MT and KM. Meehan had no business giving that report to fD, and he should be barred from the work he was engaged in at the time. Why would he do it? Did fD pay him with Jennifer’s money, or was it just a “bro” thing…”we all know women are crazy and stupid”?

I think he only intended for an abduction to take place at her house. Zip ties.

I think the plan was to deliver her to the second vehicle, drive clean to Waveny, leave the Suburban, drive the Tacoma to the next point of rendezvous.

So my question is, where was her body while he was swapping cars?

There was a 40 plus minute gap between when the suburban was seen leaving JD's house and the Tacoma being picked up again on the freeway out of New Canaan.

Something happened during that time...someone certainly could have helped FD discard the body.

I wonder what the likelihood is that MT is doing this with the knowledge and encouragement of her attorney? It doesn’t seem possible that he doesn’t know, so he must be on board, right? What could the goal be? I mean, it doesn’t make her look like a sympathetic character, and certainly does not make her appear to be appalled by what clearly happened to JF. If you suppose for a moment that FD did it all on his own, without any hint of knowledge or assistance by MT, you wouldn’t expect her to be so full of venom for JF, would you? And with one of her latest tweets, it appears that she is still attempting to say that JF harmed herself. She’s trying to get FD off the hook, posthumously, too. Now, why would that be? Maybe because if he was involved, then so was she, based on what the police have found.

I was thinking about why she wants to get rid of the phone records. I remembered a couple of things:
1. FD and MT seemed to have been in phone contact just before JFD returned from dropping off the children.(There were a plethora of phones confiscated from the Dulos home.)
2. MT claims she was talking on the phone during the Albany Avenue run, but if my memory serves me correctly, she stopped using the phone after talking with her mother around 6:30 or 7:00 that evening.

Time to dig through the transcripts again??

There was a 40 plus minute gap between when the suburban was seen leaving JD's house and the Tacoma being picked up again on the freeway out of New Canaan.

Something happened during that time...someone certainly could have helped FD discard the body.
I don't think that person discarded the body though. I think they transported it to MS while FD offloaded the Suburban at Waveny.

I think a trio met up at MS with one packed Thule.

The delivery accomplice left. MT was lookout and assistant. FD did the supremely dirty work.

Jmo

9/20/2019

[..]

Fotis and Jennifer Dulos were in the midst of an acrimonious divorce and custody battle when she disappeared on May 24 — just days after a hearing regarding an emergency custody order that could have granted Fotis Dulos more access to their five children.

Emergency custody hearings were held at the request of Fotis Dulos before Judge Donna N. Heller on May 10 and May 17. The hearings included testimony from court-appointed psychiatrist Dr. Stephen Herman who met with Fotis Dulos 14 times as part of an evaluation of the Dulos family to help determine suitable custody of the children.
Herman’s conclusions were summarized in a sealed report dated April 24, according to a motion filed by attorney Rich Rochlin, who is representing Fotis Dulos in the divorce.

[..]

Heller has ordered Herman’s testimony stricken from the record, ruled the hearings as a mistrial, since they were never completed, and required that his report remained sealed. Heller also noted in the order that anyone who reveals or releases the report could face sanctions or contempt of court.

Rochlin said Fotis Dulos has also met with Dr. Stephen Humphrey, a court-appointed Hartford psychiatrist, 20 times in the last two years.

Humphrey concluded that Fotis Dulos was a “gregarious and confident person” who had no psychopathic tendencies, Rochlin wrote in court documents seeking a mental health evaluation for Jennifer Dulos’ mother, Gloria Farber, who now has temporary custody of the children.
Couldn’t get the article about NP’s impressions—not a subscriber to Hearst. Here’re my impressions, though, based on my memory. NP was infatuated with the GG book before the Dulos case—he wrote about it on his blog and suggested he’d welcome a case like that. FD’s first lawyer was Eugene Riccio, who got him out on bail, then withdrew from representation for whatever reason. Then FD got NP—who wrote, on his blog or elsewhere, that when FD contacted his office, he first spoke with P’s partner, Smith, bc P was out of town. When he got back he went over and met with FD and firm was retained. Did FD know of NP’s infatuation with the GG book? Did FD maybe read the book, too, and was it his inspiration for staging JD’s disappearance—to make it look like an abduction? Did KM maybe read the book too (a best-seller) and come up with the idea? You’ll remember the theory that the two of them contemplated that they’d kill each other’s wives? FD tried to lure KM’s wife to FD’s house to meet with KM for a reconciliation. FD met with KM’s wife once in a restaurant, but she cut it short bc he made her uncomfortable. Her own divorce lawyer speculated she was another intended victim. So I strongly suspect too that KM was involved in the transfer of JD from one vehicle to another in NC that day. I also suspect that FD (and KM) didn’t anticipate that JD would put up a fight that would result in that much bloodshed.

As to the transcript of Dr. H's testimony--and the family court's sealing order--there's a CT state law that says info exchanged between psychological provider and patient shall be privileged. A few yrs ago a case went before the CT SC re an author who was trying to get the medical and psych records about Amy Archer Gilligan from a state mental institution where she had been incarcerated (until her death decades ago) after her convictions for the murders of her boarders. SC said records still privileged. Gilligan was the inspiration for "Arsenic and Old Lace."

Couldn’t get the article about NP’s impressions—not a subscriber to Hearst. Here’re my impressions, though, based on my memory. NP was infatuated with the GG book before the Dulos case—he wrote about it on his blog and suggested he’d welcome a case like that. FD’s first lawyer was Eugene Riccio, who got him out on bail, then withdrew from representation for whatever reason. Then FD got NP—who wrote, on his blog or elsewhere, that when FD contacted his office, he first spoke with P’s partner, Smith, bc P was out of town. When he got back he went over and met with FD and firm was retained. Did FD know of NP’s infatuation with the GG book? Did FD maybe read the book, too, and was it his inspiration for staging JD’s disappearance—to make it look like an abduction? Did KM maybe read the book too (a best-seller) and come up with the idea? You’ll remember the theory that the two of them contemplated that they’d kill each other’s wives? FD tried to lure KM’s wife to FD’s house to meet with KM for a reconciliation. FD met with KM’s wife once in a restaurant, but she cut it short bc he made her uncomfortable. Her own divorce lawyer speculated she was another intended victim. So I strongly suspect too that KM was involved in the transfer of JD from one vehicle to another in NC that day. I also suspect that FD (and KM) didn’t anticipate that JD would put up a fight that would result in that much bloodshed.

As to the transcript of Dr. H's testimony--and the family court's sealing order--there's a CT state law that says info exchanged between psychological provider and patient shall be privileged. A few yrs ago a case went before the CT SC re an author who was trying to get the medical and psych records about Amy Archer Gilligan from a state mental institution where she had been incarcerated (until her death decades ago) after her convictions for the murders of her boarders. SC said records still privileged. Gilligan was the inspiration for "Arsenic and Old Lace."

The spin by Pattis I was referring to was from the 6/26/19 article where Pattis implied that Herman's psychological report (bought and paid for by Fotis) was so detrimental to Jennifer retaining custody that she went for a "revenge suicide" -- i.e., acted in reliance of the report.

I agree that after more thought, Pattis preferred the GG theory best of all. In all his arrogance, he really believed he could sell this to a jury. JMO

6/26/2019

[..]

^^rsbm

The spin by Pattis I was referring to was from the 6/26/19 article where Pattis implied that Herman's psychological report (bought and paid for by Fotis) was so detrimental to Jennifer retaining custody that she went for a "revenge suicide" -- i.e., acted in reliance of the report.

I agree that after more thought, Pattis preferred the GG theory best of all. In all his arrogance, he really believed he could sell this to a jury. JMO

^^rsbm
I had forgotten about the “revenge suicide” theory. I guess when there is so much evidence against your client, you have to cobble together something, even if it is ridiculous. Now we, and NP, know who was really capable of revenge suicide-revenge against the State of CT, for daring to try and hold him responsible for what he did. Funny-I really never thought fD would do it, but my husband, how really didn’t follow this case, was sure he would kill himself.

I had forgotten about the “revenge suicide” theory. I guess when there is so much evidence against your client, you have to cobble together something, even if it is ridiculous. Now we, and NP, know who was really capable of revenge suicide-revenge against the State of CT, for daring to try and hold him responsible for what he did. Funny-I really never thought fD would do it, but my husband, how really didn’t follow this case, was sure he would kill himself.
And we can't forget Dr. Humphrey, a psychiatrist who met with Fd more than 20 times, and detected nothing about him that would suggest suicide. Of course not -- he was too busy fawning over Mr. Gregarious (and his man crush with Fd). JMO

And we can't forget Dr. Humphrey, a psychiatrist who met with Fd more than 20 times, and detected nothing about him that would suggest suicide. Of course not -- he was too busy fawning over Mr. Gregarious (and his man crush with Fd). JMO
Yes, ma’am-does it remind you of the psychologist who took Jodi Arias’s side in the trial after she murdered Travis? Humphreys had a big ol’ man crush on fD-and probably thought he was the one with the money, too. I wonder what he thinks now?

Last edited:
Did KM ever get his GPS monitor removed, like MT did? I could have sworn that he did, even after he tried to remove it. But can’t find confirmation. So maybe it didn’t happen?

Did KM ever get his GPS monitor removed, like MT did? I could have sworn that he did, even after he tried to remove it. But can’t find confirmation. So maybe it didn’t happen?
Found an article dated May of this year stating KM was released from house arrest, but he is still required to wear the ankle monitor.;)

Thanks, Tink…I wonder why I thought they’d removed his, too? That was rather ridiculous!
From OP's 5/15/23 link:

Supervisory State’s Attorney Michelle Manning did not object to house arrest being lifted. The state’s main concern, she said, is that GPS monitoring continue for Mawhinney, “particularly in light of events last fall.”

Yes, you had to be thinking of a different case!

IMO, KM will never have his GPS lifted because his bond is so minimal (currently only $246K).

When KM was first arrested Jan 2020 (conspiracy to commit murder), he sat in jail for more than a year pending $2M bail release which he could never meet.

A year later-- and after allegedly cooperating with the prosecutor, he was finally released when his bail was substantially reduced to a couple hundred thousand versus millions!

But after evidence presented that he tampered with his GPS monitor, his bond was again raised to $1.5M and he was returned to jail-- unable to post the significantly higher bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot