CT - Kent Mawhinney, 54, South Windsor, 21 Jan 2019 *Charged in connection to the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If Kent answered the call, and MT just alibied herself, she could easily have turned on them both. MT HAD to have at least one provable criminal job.

Fotis wasn't as smart as he thought he was, but he wasn't dumb enough to let MT turn State's witness, either.

MOO
I agree that he set it up so nobody could credibly rat on anyone else, while keeping themselves out of trouble.

So what is the State's strategy by choosing not to put KM on the stand in MT's trial? At the very least, I would think his testimony would aid in keeping the Troconis Clan from claiming/shouting about her innocence and how she was "set up" by FD. Maybe they had enough evidence without him and need to keep his testimony fresh for his (eventual) trial? IDK.

So what is the State's strategy by choosing not to put KM on the stand in MT's trial? At the very least, I would think his testimony would aid in keeping the Troconis Clan from claiming/shouting about her innocence and how she was "set up" by FD. Maybe they had enough evidence without him and need to keep his testimony fresh for his (eventual) trial? IDK.
They couldn't ask him to testify to anything that could be self-incrimination.

If the States position is that Kent was visiting to provide an alibi, it would be self-incrimination to admit he was there.

MOO

Wasn’t he the one who opted not to testify? Early on, I think he was said to be testifying-but they can’t make him testify to anything that would incriminate himself. I think KM was toying with the state of CT.

JM(uneducated)O, if they did have him testify it could have given MT's defense a chance to attack his credibility as a witness... whatever limited credibility he may have had after getting rid of his phone, pretending to have memory issues after a fall down the stairs, and then ultimately trying to flee to evade arrest, stopping only at gunpoint. Maybe they kept him on the list of possible witnesses just in case, then decided their case was stronger without him or didn't want to risk revealing more before his trial?

Edited to add: The legal records of his acts of violence against his ex-wife also paint him as a very volatile person with serious substance abuse issues as well, so they may have seen him as unpredictable.

Last edited:
Wasn’t he the one who opted not to testify? Early on, I think he was said to be testifying-but they can’t make him testify to anything that would incriminate himself. I think KM was toying with the state of CT.
I think you may be right. KM had been jailed for a year and was never going to make bond and when he agreed to cooperate and serve as a witness for the State, viola, his bond was reduced to the penny of his dad's home for collateral, and he's been out ever since. He did have that near miss with his ankle bracelet that almost sent him back to jail. I think he'd be a fool to go to trial so hope he comes to the table sooner than later. JMO

Maybe he has made some kind of deal with them.

Maybe he has made some kind of deal with them.
For me, it’s 50/50 that he has a deal of some kind, or he is rolling the dice that they have nothing and can’t convict him. Although he did attempt to evade being arrested, and apparently did try to remove his ankle monitor. So, maybe it is more like 60/40

For me, it’s 50/50 that he has a deal of some kind, or he is rolling the dice that they have nothing and can’t convict him. Although he did attempt to evade being arrested, and apparently did try to remove his ankle monitor. So, maybe it is more like 60/40
As admissible evidence at trial, the State does not have three days of interviews full of conflicting statements which was the strength of its case against MT. I'm not sure if what they do have i.e., evading police, ankle monitor, would be admitted. I do think it's in the States interest to negotiate something with KM.

As admissible evidence at trial, the State does not have three days of interviews full of conflicting statements which was the strength of its case against MT. I'm not sure if what they do have i.e., evading police, ankle monitor, would be admitted. I do think it's in the States interest to negotiate something with KM.
I agree that it certainly is in the state’s interest to do so. I believe they don’t have the multitude of evidence against him, though, that they had against MT-and KM may feel that he can roll the dice. I wonder how long we’ll have to wait to see which way it’ll go.

I agree that it certainly is in the state’s interest to do so. I believe they don’t have the multitude of evidence against him, though, that they had against MT-and KM may feel that he can roll the dice. I wonder how long we’ll have to wait to see which way it’ll go.

The known facts on KM are (1) his presence at 4JX on the morning of 5/24; (2) the call from FD to KM @ 7:47 p.m. on 5/24 and (3) his cellphone pinged on the tower close of FD’s home on the evening of 5/23 @ the same time as FD’s meat run and quick 7 minute stop to 80 Mt. Spring Road. Oh, and (4) the phone evidence at the Windsor Rod & Gun Club (shallow grave).

Also, remember during the trial the forensic witness mentioned that they discovered male DNA on quite a few items? I wonder if that was KM’s DNA? They excluded Fotis, so thinking KM?

I’m sure many here can add additional facts that I’m missing, this is just my quick recall. I’m speculating that the State has much more, just not disclosed.

He certainly can't wear a GPS monitor forever, so I'm hoping this trial is set soon. It better not be dismissed!

The known facts on KM are (1) his presence at 4JX on the morning of 5/24; (2) the call from FD to KM @ 7:47 p.m. on 5/24 and (3) his cellphone pinged on the tower close of FD’s home on the evening of 5/23 @ the same time as FD’s meat run and quick 7 minute stop to 80 Mt. Spring Road. Oh, and (4) the phone evidence at the Windsor Rod & Gun Club (shallow grave).

Also, remember during the trial the forensic witness mentioned that they discovered male DNA on quite a few items? I wonder if that was KM’s DNA? They excluded Fotis, so thinking KM?

I’m sure many here can add additional facts that I’m missing, this is just my quick recall. I’m speculating that the State has much more, just not disclosed.

He certainly can't wear a GPS monitor forever, so I'm hoping this trial is set soon. It better not be dismissed!
I think it's tying in all those activities with the co-conspirators and to murder and disposal of JS that could cloud the small panel of jurors. And according to JLS, they never tested KM's DNA!

The DNA witness did say that she did not test KM’s DNA. But the way she answered was peculiar, and I don’t think it precluded the notion that someone else may have tested it.

Adding, KM’s phone pinged at 11:04pm at Windsor Rod and Gun Club on 5/31/2019, the night that FD and MT were taken to Troop G for forensics after the discovery of the license plates and bloody trash bags on Albany Avenue that afternoon- it was all over the news.
So it was like KM went to check up on something knowing that they had been found out.

The bags of lime that were initially spotted in the grave were gone by 5/22 and it was filled with water.
In early June, it was checked again and found to be filled in “neat as a pin”.
Later in August 2019 cadaver dogs searched it and found nothing.

Was this a layover/pickup spot for transfer on the 24th?
There was a key to the gate hidden in the chain that KM had been told about a few months before the murder.

KM can’t wear his ankle monitor forever.

Wasn’t the attorney also implying that LA’s then-boyfriend, who was said to be Albanian, might be involved in Jennifer’s disappearance?
My recollection is that the implication at the deposition about the boyfriend was a connection to employment in a phlebotomy lab, not the Albanian connection (IIRC that was one of the questions).
Back when they were still harping on the Gone Girl hypothesis- like involved in obtaining a supply of blood to stage her disappearance and spatter it all around the garage.
They were really pushing the limit. At the same time FD was making up and printing out fake checks to show he paid back JD father. Completely unhinged.

My recollection is that the implication at the deposition about the boyfriend was a connection to employment in a phlebotomy lab, not the Albanian connection (IIRC that was one of the questions).
Back when they were still harping on the Gone Girl hypothesis- like involved in obtaining a supply of blood to stage her disappearance and spatter it all around the garage.
They were really pushing the limit. At the same time FD was making up and printing out fake checks to show he paid back JD father. Completely unhinged.
I do think the former boyfriend was of Albanian heritage AND a phlebotomist, though

Going to go ahead & post his - even though it is not the Dulos case - that way I can shorten it up a bit.

Friday, June 28th:
*Probation Review Hearing (unrelated case-Violation of Probation) (@ am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Kent Douglas Mawhinney (54/now 58) arrested & charged (1/7/20) & arraigned (2/20/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. Bond reduced (10/7/20) to $246K. Bond posted (10/19/20). Bond set @ $1.5M (10/3/22); back in jail for removing GPS device). Bond reduced (12/15/22) to $246K & on GPS monitoring (again) & on house detention. On 5/15/23 on GPS monitoring, but can leave house. To remove GPS monitoring denied (11/3/23).
Trial was set to begin in January, 2023 was cancelled. Case is on Hold per Judge.
State's attorney Michelle Manning. Defense attorney Jeffrey Kestenband.

Court info from 1/7/20 thru 10/24/23 reference post #810 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-56.683382/page-41

11/3/23 Update: A judge denied Mawhinney’s request to have the GPS device removed on 11/3/23 Friday afternoon, according to the Stamford Superior Court clerk. The court appearance came after Mawhinney & his attorney, Jeffrey Kestenband, missed a hearing on the motion last week because they were in the wrong courtroom. In the newest motion to remove GPS monitoring, Kestenband said Mawhinney is not a flight risk. The motion stated that his immediate family lives in Connecticut, he has no passport, and he doesn’t know any foreign languages. It also said the case has garnered so much attention, Mawhinney would be recognizable anywhere if he tried to flee. The motion also pointed out that he’s traveled outside Connecticut multiple times with the court’s permission & had no violations.
3/4/24 Update: An updated version; Mawhinney has told state police that Fotis Dulos & Michelle Troconis told him the day before Jennifer Farber Dulos disappeared that they were going to kill her & that they wanted him to be part of their alibi. Per court site there is on a Trial List a hearing on 5/15/24 @ 9am to set trial date. Incorrect info given – NO hearing on 5/15/24 [I misread the year].
6/2/24 Update: The only hearing coming up for KM is on 6/28/24 for Probation Review for KM's unrelated, 2019 Violation of Protection Order. The Dulos case still shows On the Trial List, To Be Scheduled.
*Michelle C. Troconis (44/now 47) – Cases #021178T, #0167364T & #0148553T: Trial started on 1/11/24 & ended 2/29/24 with a verdict of guilty on all charges. Sentencing hearing on 5/31/24. Sentenced to 14 ½ years in prison & 5 years probation.
*Fotis Dulos (52) – Committed suicide on 1/28/20 & declared dead at 5:32pm on 1/30/20. 3/3/20: Charges dismissed. The case against Dulos will be officially dismissed in about a year, unless the state decides to reopen it. 1/17/22: After debt, no money left in Dulos estate for children. While Fotis Dulos’ estate has $395,687 in assets, it owes $548,280.75 in expenses, according to Farmington Probate Court records. Attorney Christopher Hug will be paid $189,525 for settling the estate & attorney Paul Knierim, who represented Hug, will receive $98,326, court documents show."

Why is KM’s trial not moving, yet JD’s remains have not been found? No body, no deal—time to get this thing moving.

I was under the impression that Class B Felonies were required to be tried within a year of the arrest in the state of Connecticut, yet I do realize the pandemic severely adjusted that requirement for many, but I would think by now the they would schedule all court dates, especially prioritizing Class B Felonies (and the co-conspirator to that same MURDER has been convicted & sentenced). I also think KM would want to speed things up (I’m guessing KM doesn’t want to wear a GPS monitor forever). I’m surprised his attorney hasn’t filed for a “speedy” trial and get things rolling.

These two “not guilty” a.k.a. innocent people sure don’t act innocent when it comes to their respective criminal investigations. In KM's case, if I were innocent, I’d gladly explain why my phone pinged near a Gun Club where a shallow grave was discovered and I certainly wouldn’t pretend I fell and lost my memory and phone in the process which coincidently aligned with the murder of a friends soon to be ex wife. I’d hand over my phone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02
Back