Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The NJ bank robbery, was that in Trenton?

Yes, though I've been looking and looking and can't find any old articles about a bank robbery in Trenton around that time. The FBI most wanted flyer mentions the bank robbery in Trenton. The more I think about it, the more I doubt her residence in the 609 (Trenton) area code and the robbery of the bank in Trenton are a coincidence.

Do they publish music?

McGraw Hill published all kinds of things including fiction, non-fiction, textbooks, magazines, scholarly journals... not to my knowledge music, though. They also performed market research.

Okay, just one call to McGraw-Hill. Maybe someone who worked there?

One of the Phila numbers was a news stand today, but I don't know what it was in 1970.

Nashville talent agent. Publisher. What do those things have in common; she'd need a literary agent if this was a book.

The 215-467-8200 is for Milk Maid Dairy Products, a milk delivery service that went out of business in 1981 but was in business in the 1970s:

http://articles.philly.com/1998-07-14/business/25735220_1_crowley-foods-cheese-business-dean-foods

Does anyone know a way to determine the history of a phone number, ie who these numbers belonged to in 1970?

This might be a coincidence, but that was owned by a family named Maggio.

Here is the 1970 owner's obituary: http://articles.philly.com/1992-07-11/news/26028609_1_cheese-plant-cheese-business-milk

There was a Maggio that lived in Langhorne who died in 2007. http://www.ancientfaces.com/person/dorothy-g-maggio/20406437

The 215-467-8200 is for Milk Maid Dairy Products, a milk delivery service that went out of business in 1981 but was in business in the 1970s:

http://articles.philly.com/1998-07-14/business/25735220_1_crowley-foods-cheese-business-dean-foods

Does anyone know a way to determine the history of a phone number, ie who these numbers belonged to in 1970?

I wish I knew of a good way. The way I identified the McGraw Hill number was first by determining that the company that has the number today wasn't founded until long after the 70s. Then I found who owned it previously through relentless googling, eventually through the news archives where I located an advertisement with the number that had been published in 1981. Then I googled the company with various years to establish that it was McGraw Hill's phone number in the 1970s.

FWIW, I've tried to connect CM Fox JR with McGraw Hill and I've been unable. However, I'm starting to think that the number she was calling from was not a residence, but rather a business, maybe where she was working? Perhaps her boss discovered the calls after she skipped out? Because the phone number is the type that is simplified, the type that is usually issued to a business. It's currently a business number. I've been trying to figure out what it might have been back in the 70s but no luck so far. I don't know about back in the 70s, but it would have been exceedingly unusual in the 80s and 90s for a landlord to keep a phone in his or her name for tenants, since the landlord would be left with the bill if the tenant ran up thousands in charges -- something that was easier to do back in the 1970s when non-local calls were 20-30 cents a minute.

I wish I knew of a good way. The way I identified the McGraw Hill number was first by determining that the company that has the number today wasn't founded until long after the 70s. Then I found who owned it previously through relentless googling, eventually through the news archives where I located an advertisement with the number that had been published in 1981. Then I googled the company with various years to establish that it was McGraw Hill's phone number in the 1970s.

FWIW, I've tried to connect CM Fox JR with McGraw Hill and I've been unable. However, I'm starting to think that the number she was calling from was not a residence, but rather a business, maybe where she was working? Perhaps her boss discovered the calls after she skipped out? Because the phone number is the type that is simplified, the type that is usually issued to a business. It's currently a business number. I've been trying to figure out what it might have been back in the 70s but no luck so far. I don't know about back in the 70s, but it would have been exceedingly unusual in the 80s and 90s for a landlord to keep a phone in his or her name for tenants, since the landlord would be left with the bill if the tenant ran up thousands in charges -- something that was easier to do back in the 1970s when non-local calls were 20-30 cents a minute.

Excellent point re: it being a business phone.

I finally have a hit on CM Fox Jr. in New Jersey. There is someone by that name listed in the Directory of Organization and Field Activities of the Dept. of Agriculture, in 1938 He is listed as working in the Division of Japanese Beetle Control, General headquarters, Bloomfield, NJ.. Depending on his age at the time, it's possibly the same person whose name is on the phone bill listed in the UID's NAMUS entry.

"http://books.google.com/books?id=e6coAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=%22C.+M.+Fox%22+New+Jersey&source=bl&ots=LLUf3K3R5f&sig=pBX2WfX7NXyOg8Ms7mNGT5FDgwo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yrnIUqKPGejLsQSE84LADA&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=%22C.%20M.%20Fox%22%20New%20Jersey&f=false"

Maybe I'm just a skeptic, but how do we know for sure those phone calls were made by the UID rather than Carmichael? If they were living together or ever had company over, those numbers could mean nothing to the UID. I'm not saying they might not be relevant, but it might be tunnel vision to go that route. JMHO

I thought the OP was saying the marriage records were from after 1970. I would like to know how long LC was at the "state farm" in Niantic. Was she there for all of 1970? Still need to find that out.

Considering the article saying she was also a suspect, I would, at least, think she might have known the UID if it's not her. Especially since the account of him seeming to love the UID and he wouldn't have parted with her easily and that makes me doubt it was just a prostitute he fell in love with in 3 months. MOO

Maybe I'm just a skeptic, but how do we know for sure those phone calls were made by the UID rather than Carmichael? If they were living together or ever had company over, those numbers could mean nothing to the UID. I'm not saying they might not be relevant, but it might be tunnel vision to go that route. JMHO

We could say the same thing about the ring. :(

It would still raise the question of why Carmichael was calling those numbers repeatedly. He had no known tied to south Jersey or Bucks County.

Considering the article saying she was also a suspect, I would, at least, think she might have known the UID if it's not her. Especially since the account of him seeming to love the UID and he wouldn't have parted with her easily and that makes me doubt it was just a prostitute he fell in love with in 3 months. MOO

I also had wondered if the diamond ring Rainello and DeFreitas took into the jewelers in January of 1971 might have been an engagement ring that Carmichael had given to the girl. They brought the ring in to be re-sized but never returned to pick it up. I'd also like to know if the "high school" ring was something that was found on her when they removed her body from the ground. We know that some of her cloths were given by Brant to Brant's wife, and I'm sure the girls curlers were not buried with her. If the ring was not on her body when she was found, it's possible, in trying to cooperate with authorities someone handed them this ring and it didn't even belong to the victim. Just some thoughts.

I also had wondered if the diamond ring Rainello and DeFreitas took into the jewelers in January of 1971 might have been an engagement ring that Carmichael had given to the girl. They brought the ring in to be re-sized but never returned to pick it up. I'd also like to know if the "high school" ring was something that was found on her when they removed her body from the ground. We know that some of her cloths were given by Brant to Brant's wife, and I'm sure the girls curlers were not buried with her. If the ring was not on her body when she was found, it's possible, in trying to cooperate with authorities someone handed them this ring and it didn't even belong to the victim. Just some thoughts.

The ring could have been from a crime, and so might the re-sized ring. If anything, it might have been a family heirloom. Both my HS and college rings had the date that I graduated on it; my college ring has the date the school was founded as well.

We could say the same thing about the ring. :(

It would still raise the question of why Carmichael was calling those numbers repeatedly. He had no known tied to south Jersey or Bucks County.

Oh ITA about the ring!

I'm not really focusing on the phone records, but if I were, I would only be interested in repeated calls. Then only those repeated calls I would look further.

No, I agree with you there. IMO, LC is not our UID but I do think she probably knew her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back