Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Besides the house he lived in the "lorraine", I wonder what other addresses Carmichael had?

One of the newspaper articles gives an address for him in Southie (I have to go find it). I believe that was from when he was arrested for the earlier robbery. I'm curious if he ever lived anywhere outside of Mass aside from when he was on the run. Wasn't he in Maine at some point?

I haven't thought too much about the ring because I was viewing it as a red herring, BUT: GLC's mother was a nurse and his father was in the US Navy. It's possible he got it from one of them and gave it to his girlfriend. Although they were both too young to have graduated in 1917, it's food for thought...

http://genforum.genealogy.com/carmichael/messages/676.html

Nice find....the other son that is mentioned, Lindsey, his first name is actually John from the obit. Rita just passed away last month.

Thanks--I saw her obit. I also found a very lengthy genealogy listing, but the only new info I got from it was that Gus Sr served in the USN submarine service in the Pacific theater in WWII.

I was thinking of a nursing school ring also. Maybe a name that includes (J) School of Nursing and Health Studies. Licensed Nurse or (National) League for Nursing. Illinois League for Nursing. Was this a woman's ring or man's? Is there a size for it? And is there a way to blow the picture up?

I found this newspaper article detailing the murder trial against Donald DeFreitas. DeFreitas was accused of murdering Carmichael and the Jane Doe, and the two bodies were found behind DeFreitas' home.

The murder allegedly occurred on December 31, 1970. If that's true, it would rule-out Lynn Schulze.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...esgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5049,1396095
how would that rule her out, if it was skull remains only, and they were found 4 years later?

:twocents:

If she were a captive I doubt she would worry about rollers.
She seemed to be dressed in fairly nice clothing.
I had the exact pair of boots as pictured way back in the 70's .

My impressions are that the female hooked up with this bank robber when she may have worked as a waitress?

I am so used to seeing such scenarios in movies where gangster mulls {?}
female gangster girlfriends...

do get wooed by people running from the law.
Also: perhaps she left her hometown a long time before hooking up with
this bank robber?

I saw the phone numbers are/were for
PA.
Nashville
Philly
NJ
Delaware
NY

she could be from any of those areas.

the phone bill was for a: C.M. Fox Jr. I missed who this person is/was?
anyone know?
I may need to read more about this case.
Until then, if anyone else has thoughts on the phone bill and why it is included among the evidence?
Please tell me?
I do not know why a criminal would have a phone...traced so easily right?I recall the Phone company had a lot of hoops to jump through to get a phone they knew everything about you back then. To verify you could pay them...
:seeya:

this is very interesting....:banghead:
but clues do not help so far :tantrum:

I went back to the original namus file again (https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8909) and there are some sort of interesting things I noticed that I didn't notice the first time.

1) Both composite sketches were done by the Trenton, NJ PD based on "description from an acquaintance". I had assumed that the composites were based on a description by Joanne Rainello, but now it seems more likely to me that it was based on a description of someone she knew in New Jersey or else the composites would probably have been done in CT, where she was found, not NJ, where she lived before she died. Maybe the acquaintance was CM Fox, JR? The composites were done the year she was found, on 11/21/1974. On the other hand, it's possible that the police came to Rainello or vice versa. I wonder what date Rainello first approached the police to tell her story. Anyone know if it was before or after 11/21/1974?

2) The "Wanted" poster for Carmichael mentions the bank robbery in Trenton. Interestingly, the poster or flier was dated May 14, 1971, before anyone knew that he was dead (since his body wasn't found until 1974). At that point, he was a fugitive and bank robber in the eyes of the FBI.

2) Does anyone else see what looks it might be a reverse imprint of letters on the picture of the sweater when they blow it up? It may just be my imagination, but it looks like there may be some letters about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the sweater and some other scribbles when I magnify the image. I've tried playing around with contrast and other effects and haven't been able to make them out.

3) The picture labeled, "Yellow Raincoat she was known to have worn" is different from the other photos of the clothing, which are staged for pictures on a shelf in front of a faux wood-panelled wall. The raincoat is on the floor in a jumble of other clothes, including what looks to me like the skirt (upside-down to the left of the jacket) with maybe a knife on top of it (?) and some boots (the granny boots without stuffing in them to make them stand upright?) to the right. There's also a foot belonging to a woman wearing a sandal in the top of the frame in the center. Could this photo have been taken during the seizure of the items at Iemma's?

ETA: Carmichael's and UID's bodies were found on 5/30/1974. Grand jury indictment was on November 12/1974. http://law.justia.com/cases/connecticut/supreme-court/1980/179-conn-431-2.html

I believe, though this is just from memory of Google news cache articles, that Rainello testified that she had decided to come forward after speaking to a detective from Rhode Island, who put her in mind of the possible danger to herself and her family of not testifying to put her ex-common law husband away, in May of 1974. She later testified that DeFreitas had threatened both her and her family, if she ever said anything about the murders or anything else she knew about him.

Rainello first told police in May of 1974. I have to wonder how much guilt this woman felt afterwards. If you think about it, if she had not told DeFreitas about this girl's fear of being caught, it's possible he would have thought everything was safe and wouldn't have bothered her. She might have died a violent death anyway since she was mingling with the wrong crowd though. It's just ironic that this man took away her identity and then took her life.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...L-sgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2847,668114

Skigirl:

2) Does anyone else see what looks it might be a reverse imprint of letters on the picture of the sweater when they blow it up? It may just be my imagination, but it looks like there may be some letters about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the sweater and some other scribbles when I magnify the image. I've tried playing around with contrast and other effects and haven't been able to make them out.​

What I see, when I look at that, is the tops of pockets.

Two thoughts-

The ring may be from a teacher's college. They were called normal schools then. It could be NS and not HS.

Several numbers on the phone log belonged to talent agencies. Many book exotic dancers as well as other talent. Was someone looking for work?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back