Day 12 The Ransom Note/The 12 Days of JonBenet

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Aside from the handwriting and language of the RN, it's also important to note the timeline of its release. This timeline helps to understand Boulder politics as they are so important.

Posters, please correct me if I'm wrong on something.

Dec 27 in the morning paper we Denverites see an article in our morning papers about a kidnapping, ransom note, and dead child. It was horrifying to think a murderer was on the loose. Yet the most important indicator of a nutter out there wanting to sneak into our houses and steal/murder our children was this ransom note which we couldn't see.

Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr. May, Jun, Jul, Aug 1997 go by and all we get are a few little letters and phrases of what may have appeared in the ransom note. Release of it may compromise a real or fake confession, sure, but there was a murderer on the loose. There was a dead child in her home and yet no arrests, so of course we Denverites are concerned. There is a murderer on the loose and we should keep our babies close. Maybe if we saw the note we could help.

Early Sep 1997: someone released the text to Vanity Fair. (Who this someone was we still don't know - was it BPD out of frustration?). Boulder/Denver media publish text. Holy cow the text sounded like a smarmy psycho drama-queen entitled southern belle all pissed at her husband.

Sep 8: DA Alex Hunter releases photo copy of hand-printed RN.

I still can't figure out when the Ramseys and their high-powered Hal Haddon firm got their own photocopy. That could also explain the months and months frustrating delay in getting the note out to the public.

Hi Razz,

It is my understanding that a document examiner will rarely say anything is 100 percent certain. I could be wrong but I was told that a long time ago

Just like fibers & hair - they always say "consistent with" and I hear "Bingo! It's a match!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sometime during my primary (elementary) schooling (late 1980's) I remember being taught that we were no longer required to put the horizontal bars on our I's. Up to that point we had been taught to use the bars. I would imagine anyone schooled prior to the 1980's was taught to use the bars.

I just want to bump this observation because it is so important.

Patsy was born in 1956. I do not believe she could've ever switched from using the barred letter I to one without the bars. She was a perfectionist, schooled in handwriting in the 1960s and schooled in journalism in the mid 1970s before computers. She spent so much time handwriting. Those bars on the capital I's were instinctive and innate to a person born in 1956.

A sadist would want to see someone in pain. JBR wouldn't have been able to exhibit signs of pain being unconscious or brain dead. Ligature strangulation is typical of sex crimes, but not all sex crimes are sadistic.

Dr Spitz said the garrote was make believe and it was applied after JBR was unconscious or brain dead. I agree with him.

Well, it certainly is difficult to disagree with a world renowned expert on such matters. However; there are plenty of people who do and I'm one of them. Not completely but in part. That's the beauty of this forum I guess.

A sadist would want to see someone in pain. JBR wouldn't have been able to exhibit signs of pain being unconscious or brain dead. Ligature strangulation is typical of sex crimes, but not all sex crimes are sadistic.

Dr Spitz said the garrote was make believe and it was applied after JBR was unconscious or brain dead. I agree with him.

Sincerely I do apologize to ask this but is there a remote chance you have a link where Dr. Spitz said the garrote was, 'make believe'? There is just so much information to go through I'll never find it. Thank you in advance.

SNIPPED by me for brevity.

Patsy's sample note says the date is 1987. I assume the note was written in 1997 and it's to Burke in Atlanta. She must've been in such a fog she got the decade wrong. But she still uses her descriptive journalistic flair.

Anyway, the RN is so over the top it's hard to believe JR would've approved it. I don't think he had a clue what was going on until the morning of dec 26 after the cops came, while he and Patsy just sat there and he thought of the note.

That is one thing that really jumped out, the over the top nature of it. It mentions SBTC, calls will be made by tomorrow night, and "Victory!" at the end.

Maybe I am in a minority but to me the ransom note never seemed like something hastily put together. It seems like it would take at least a three or so hours to think the scenario out and write it down. If it was hastily done , it could've easily been one page or even a couple of sentences. But whoever wrote it thought out a lot of detail.

Ransom Note
ransom-note-jonbenet-ramsey.gif

Posting this again because I need space to work.

That is one thing that really jumped out, the over the top nature of it. It mentions SBTC, calls will be made by tomorrow night, and "Victory!" at the end.
Has anyone tried to figure out what she may have meant by
SBTC? Maybe just random letters? but I somehow think Patsy would
have the S for Satan and the C might be for cult?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried to figure out what she may have meant by
SBTC? Maybe just random letters? but I somehow think Patsy would
have the S for Satan and the C might be for cult?

It's been theorized that the initials came from a memento from John's time at the Subic Bay Training Center that was in the Ramsey home.

It's been theorized that the initials came from a memento from John's time at the Subic Bay Training Center that was in the Ramsey home.
Oh my gosh! Then the Victory fits too! Thank you!

Sincerely I do apologize to ask this but is there a remote chance you have a link where Dr. Spitz said the garrote was, 'make believe'? There is just so much information to go through I'll never find it. Thank you in advance.
He said it last night in the CBS documentary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oh my gosh! Then the Victory fits too! Thank you!

Also could stand for Signed by the captain. Also a naval reference. In yacht racing they call a win a victory.
Wasn't there a crown near her body? I wonder if it was in reference to the crown. Sounds stupid I know but we are talking about Patsy Miss West Virginia.

I just had an awful thought. Spitz said JBR was brain dead from the blow to her skull and that she continued breathing. If the parents saw the body and JBR was still breathing how did they know she was brain dead as the Dr. said there was no bleeding from the wound because the skin wasn't split but the skull was and there was internal bleeding only. So...if she was still breathing and no outward sign of injury, why didn't they call for an ambulance ASAP. Or...did BR put the garrot around her neck and finish the job before the parents got to her?!! I'm not sure I understand why one of the parents would garrot her and strangle her if she was STILL breathing.

I just had an awful thought. Spitz said JBR was brain dead from the blow to her skull and that she continued breathing. If the parents saw the body and JBR was still breathing how did they know she was brain dead as the Dr. said there was no bleeding from the wound because the skin wasn't split but the skull was and there was internal bleeding only. So...if she was still breathing and no outward sign of injury, why didn't they call for an ambulance ASAP. Or...did BR put the garrot around her neck and finish the job before the parents got to her?!! I'm not sure I understand why one of the parents would garrot her and strangle her if she was STILL breathing.

You have to be careful with this stuff, Razz. She was still breathing, but there's no guarantee they would have picked up on it. It likely would have been so shallow as to be unnoticeable by two panicked parents.

You have to be careful with this stuff, Razz. She was still breathing, but there's no guarantee they would have picked up on it. It likely would have been so shallow as to be unnoticeable by two panicked parents.
That's why I'm thinking BR garroted her and finished the job.
Why would the parents be panicked if there's no obvious sign of injury and she was breathing albeit in a shallow manner?!

Well if they knew he hit her on the head, I can imagine that wound was palpable and one feel of the area would've told them there was no way to save BR's butt this time. She may have been gurgling too. I read in the autopsy I believe that she had mucous on her cheek. Possibly it was from the head wound causing her to drown in her own fluid. The ONE thing that bothers me is it was noted that she had crescent shaped wounds around the cord around her neck. Either she did it... which would confuse the timeline of death or BR tried to get it off maybe so his parents couldn't see it. Maybe he knew they would recognize the garrote as something he made at another time? Maybe for a totally different reason.
Maybe it was way too tight and he got scared and ran to bed. Leading to the question heard in the 911 call. "What did you find?"
Or if he is truly sadistic, maybe he got pleasure from his crime and seeing his mother "go psycho" when she realized her beauty queen was brutally killed. A sociopath would enjoy seeing the effects caused to others. Just like many perps come back to the scene to watch the chaos. Remember, even Ted Bundy was 10 yrs old at one point.
Eta: MOO

I always thought that most likely the writer of the note was Patsy. Although if I'm being totally honest there were times early on I thought Burke could have written it, although I never voiced that opinion for fear of being ridiculed. The idea seemed too out there. I remember early in the case I kept reading the ransom note and realized that the note almost had a pep talk feel to it...which was really bizarre....like it was trying to convince John that he could do this and it would all work out. After seeing Patsy talk on TV and getting a better feel for her personality it made me even more convinced. So many parts of the note felt like classic Patsy. I would love to know what their friends thought about the note. Even trying to disguise the writing style I think her close friends would be able to see Patsy in the note. I've always been fascinated by people's handwriting and how it's almost like a fingerprint. Sometimes with someone you're close to you can look at their handwriting and almost see them in it....at least I've had that happen quite a few times.

Maybe I am in a minority but to me the ransom note never seemed like something hastily put together. It seems like it would take at least a three or so hours to think the scenario out and write it down. If it was hastily done , it could've easily been one page or even a couple of sentences. But whoever wrote it thought out a lot of detail.

I agree. That's why for 19 years I thought it was just Patsy. And maybe premeditated.

But after learning of how highly intelligent and dramatic she was, as well as what was presented in the CBS and Dr Phil shows, I see how she could've been in protective overdrive trying to stage the horror of what her son did.

Well if they knew he hit her on the head, I can imagine that wound was palpable and one feel of the area would've told them there was no way to save BR's butt this time. She may have been gurgling too. I read in the autopsy I believe that she had mucous on her cheek. Possibly it was from the head wound causing her to drown in her own fluid. The ONE thing that bothers me is it was noted that she had crescent shaped wounds around the cord around her neck. Either she did it... which would confuse the timeline of death or BR tried to get it off maybe so his parents couldn't see it. Maybe he knew they would recognize the garrote as something he made at another time? Maybe for a totally different reason.
Maybe it was way too tight and he got scared and ran to bed. Leading to the question heard in the 911 call. "What did you find?"
Or if he is truly sadistic, maybe he got pleasure from his crime and seeing his mother "go psycho" when she realized her beauty queen was brutally killed. A sociopath would enjoy seeing the effects caused to others. Just like many perps come back to the scene to watch the chaos. Remember, even Ted Bundy was 10 yrs old at one point.
Eta: MOO

Agonal gasps can be loud and disturbing. A garrote would silence them. Perhaps the weird knot was from a prior Cub Scout "lashing" exercise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buck_317
Back