GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird because no further information has come out about the woman supposedly interveiwed. Just that one blurb in the news, then nothing.

Dushi said: Sources tell ABC 7 News a woman has been questioned by investigators, but that no arrests have been made in the case.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/02...el-111361.html

Originally posted by FindHG

Actually it was posted by me on post #43

Your post of the youtube video along with the rest of your links are what I keep going back to most of the time on this thread, colette.

Much and continuously appreciated.

Thanks, Dushi! I went looking for that statement and couldn't find it. lol I was just going to delete my comment after completely questioning both my sanity and sleuthing skills.

I do too after every single post, hmmmm

:waitasec:

I've watched the video about 50 times. The POI is definitely a guy. As a few others have stated, the POI "walks like a guy"--you can define that on your own. But what I see in that walk is the pronounced outward pointing of the toes as the POI walks. This is a much more common type of gait for a man than a woman. In fact, having worked in the entertainment business for many years, dancers and gymnasts are about the only two groups of women who tend to walk toes out. And let's just say it: If that POI is a woman, she's no dancer or gymnast. In addition, hefty-er men tend to have the toes out walk and the POI is definitely a larger individual.

Also, the POI, in the early part of the video, walks with right hand in pocket. Women don't commonly walk with a hand in their front pocket. Also, when the POI gets close to the camera, the person brings his fist to the mouth as if to blow warm air into it. Once again, that strikes me as uncommon female behavior--not saying women don't do it, but the process of doing it seems more masculine to me.

Finally, watching the POI go up the steps, that's a guy going up them, not a woman. We know how men carry themselves, we know how women carry themselves. Yes, a woman can fake acting like a man, and vice versa. But that takes time to master, so I don't think this is a woman pretending to be a man.

As for the "baby face", I think the POI is a younger Asian/Hawaiian/Fijian man between the ages of 20 and 25. Furthermore, I think this was some of kind of secret relationship Messerschmitt was involved in. I don't think there was any accomplice. I think it was a lover's quarrel that turned violent--maybe something along the lines of the POI wanting the lawyer to leave his wife, and the lawyer wasn't going to do so.

Having said all that, I'm kind of surprised they haven't caught the POI yet.

FastEddy - Agree with all your observations with the exception that I don't think this was a lovers quarrel. I think this was the (professional or otherwise), hit man. But totally agree it's a man, and that they are islander. I would be very surprised if not.
The gestures are all very masculine. You are very observant.

FastEddy - Agree with all your observations with the exception that I don't think this was a lovers quarrel. I think this was the (professional or otherwise), hit man. But totally agree it's a man, and that they are islander. I would be very surprised if not.
The gestures are all very masculine. You are very observant.

Going over it slowly, over and over again, the gestures do seem masculine, especially that look around the corner. For some reason the face looks thinner around the mouth and jaw area before the POI blows on their fingers, and has a completely different shape with the black thing over it on in the stairwell. The masculine gestures, the gait, LE would have better context to tell then we do as they would have more footage, but man or woman, the person went to some measure to disguise themselves.

I haven't read the thread. This first post is all I know about it. DC lawyer in a hotel near his office within commuting distance to his home stinks of affair or prostitute to me. There's no other reason I can imagine for his having a hotel room.

From your first link:

"Police officials initially said that Messerschmitt had been reported missing by relatives 24 hours before he was found dead, but records indicate that his body was discovered in Room 400 less than 10 hours after the missing person report was filed."

"A police inventory of the room’s contents includes a bag, gloves, an umbrella, flip-flops, earmuffs, shorts, a jacket, deodorant, keys, vitamins and shampoo. A police official said that list is not complete."
This doesn't make sense. His wife said he was expected home the night he was killed. She waits 24 hours to report him missing (understandable). He is found 10 hours after he is reported missing. That's 34 hours. My point is he should have been found MUCH SOONER by housekeeping if he had only paid for the hotel for one night, the night his wife expected him home in an hour.

This doesn't make sense. His wife said he was expected home the night he was killed. She waits 24 hours to report him missing (understandable). He is found 10 hours after he is reported missing. That's 34 hours. My point is he should have been found MUCH SOONER by housekeeping if he had only paid for the hotel for one night, the night his wife expected him home in an hour.

The 'do not disturb' 'placard' may have been placed on the door, and check-out may have been at 11 am. IIRC, management did a welfare check at 11:15 am, when David's body was discovered half-clad, face down by the bed, stabbed in the back and his wallet contents strewn around his head, other personal/financial documents about the room and blood on the walls by the door and around the room. Besides illicit probabilities, not having seen his wife Sunday night, the text and her account of the phone call, not yet backed by any public statements from her or his family, it completely leaves it open to speculation to the possibility that David had no intention to go home that night. Why would that be so?

The 'do not disturb' 'placard' may have been placed on the door, and check-out may have been at 11 am. IIRC, management did a welfare check at 11:15 am, when David's body was discovered...
Maybe my point wasn't clear. Since he told is wife he would be home on Sunday, there's no reason to believe he paid for a room past checkout on Monday morning. He wasn't found until Tuesday morning. A "do not disturb" sign wouldn't have pretended hotel management from checking sooner since he should have vacated the room on Monday morning. I'm sure people accidently leave "do not disturb signs" on the door when they checkout. If a room is supposed to be vacated on a certain day, hotels are good about harassing people to leave the rooms.

I found an article (below) that states the timeline differently than the one I previously posted. It says that he was found 24 hours after he was reported missing, not 10 hours after he was reported missing. Does anyone know the exact number of hours the wife waited before he was reported missing AND the exact number of hours before his body was found after she reported him missing? It seems there are conflicting reports in the newspapers.

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/02/new-clues-death-lawyer-found-upscale-d-c-hotel/

Besides illicit probabilities, not having seen his wife Sunday night, the text and her account of the phone call, not yet backed by any public statements from her or his family, it completely leaves it open to speculation to the possibility that David had no intention to go home that night. Why would that be so?
Exactly. It seems the wife isn't telling the truth. Since the hotel didn't look for him until Tuesday morning, it seems he didn't intend to go home on Sunday night. How many nights he paid to stay there may be evidence that could disprove his wife's claim he was coming home on Sunday.

btw, in case anyone cares about my opinion, I think the suspect looks half AA and half Asian because of the eyes.

I curse myself for opening this thread and getting sucked into another murder. I need to catch up on this story before it gets way ahead of me. It will be interesting to see how my analysis might different when looking at facts and reports as a whole instead of as they trickle out day by day.

But it's in the news that DM checked into The Donovan on Monday evening, some time after 5:00, according to Fox News:

David Messerschmitt, an associate with the international law firm DLA Piper, checked into the Donovan Hotel in downtown Washington sometime after 5 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 9, according to Paris White, a homicide detective with the Metropolitan Police Department.
Clarification in the Washington Post about DM being found 10 hours after being reported missing, not 24:
Police officials initially said that Messerschmitt had been reported missing by relatives 24 hours before he was found dead, but records indicate that his body was discovered in Room 400 less than 10 hours after the missing person report was filed.

We don't know about Sunday, other than the couple had seen each other sometime on Sunday. Why is it assumed that DM didn't return home on Sunday night? Did I miss that article? My understanding was that KV works hospital hours as an anesthesiologist, so it's very likely she was the one who didn't come home Sunday night. DM was reportedly at work at DLA Piper until around 5:00 p.m. on Monday, according to the Washington Post article linked above.

The last known communication with his wife was reportedly a text around the time that the POI was seen in the lobby of The Donovan, stating that he would be home in an hour (around 8:30 or so). When he hadn't arrived by around 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, KV called the police.

So the last known sighting of DM that we are aware of was when he checked in to The Donovan after leaving DLA Piper on Monday evening around 5:00. So . . .

* Last known sighting of DM: 5:30ish Monday, February 9, when he checked into The Donovan.
* Last known communication with friends/family: text to wife, KV, around 7:30, stating he'd be home in an hour.
* Reported missing to police: 1:00 - 2:00 in the morning of Tuesday, February 10, about 7 hours after the text.
* DM found: Tuesday, February 10, 11:15 a.m. by hotel doing a welfare check. It had been approx. 18 hours since DM was last seen leaving DLA Piper and then checking in to The Donovan the previous evening.

Exactly. Just recently I was in a hotel on a business trip with my daughter. We had paid for 3 days. On the 4th morning we had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door and we were sound asleep, past the 10 am checkout time. :angel:

We heard a knock at the door, and the phone rang at around 10:30. Front desk asking if we needed help with our luggage, and the porter was out front waiting. LOL It was good they did that cuz we had a plane to catch.

* Last known sighting of DM: 5:30ish Monday, February 9, when he checked into The Donovan.
* Last known communication with friends/family: text to wife, KV, around 7:30, stating he'd be home in an hour.
* Reported missing to police: 1:00 - 2:00 in the morning of Tuesday, February 10, about 7 hours after the text.
* DM found: Tuesday, February 10, 11:15 a.m. by hotel doing a welfare check. It had been approx. 18 hours since DM was last seen leaving DLA Piper and then checking in to The Donovan the previous evening.
Thank you for this summary! :) Obviously, the newspapers weren't accurate.

I have a few ideas, but it's impossible to start speculating without a time of death.

Any ideas on how long we have to wait before LE tells us time of death?

Thank you for this summary! :) Obviously, the newspapers weren't accurate.

I have a few ideas, but it's impossible to start speculating without a time of death.

Any ideas on how long we have to wait before LE tells us time of death?

I recall it being reported that the time of death was given as the tenth, when he was found dead, on the report, no autopsy results are yet public. The POI was reported in MSM dressed in the same manner existing the hotel, but only the time of entry has been shared in public.

I wonder if the hotel was half empty and a guest did not check out, if they would simply charge another night on his credit card. Though in many cases, it would be disputed by guests who had actually left, but just not officially checked out. But really, it is difficult to know why the room was not checked. I worked in hotels for many years and getting rooms checked and cleaned was of number one importance, basically.

I wonder if the hotel was half empty and a guest did not check out, if they would simply charge another night on his credit card. Though in many cases, it would be disputed by guests who had actually left, but just not officially checked out. But really, it is difficult to know why the room was not checked. I worked in hotels for many years and getting rooms checked and cleaned was of number one importance, basically.

He was found before the check-out time of noon, he checked in about 5:30 on Monday night and was found Tuesday morning:

"David Messerschmitt, age 30 of Northeast D.C. was found at 11 a.m. at the hotel located in the 1100 block of 14th Street in NW, D.C., police said." http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...found-at-the-donovan-hotel-in-nw-dc/23191297/

http://dcpoliceunion.com/blog/crime-update-from-the-dc-police-union-city-wide25

[David Messerschmitt, 30, was identified as the man who was stabbed and killed Tuesday, February 10th, inside of a hotel room in downtown DC. Police have released a video of a person of interest in the homicide and authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect.

so perhaps sometime after midnight?

19:44 is 7:44 PM.

That's an overweight male.

I hope LE checked the video from 5:30 to 7:30. It would be a shame if they assumed the killer only arrived after texting his wife at 7:30. The killer could have been with him at that time. But this shady person arriving shortly after he said he was leaving the hotel is too much of a coincidence. The victim might have encountered him as he was leaving his room to go home.

I feel sorry for the poor housekeeping staff that found him. Can you imagine how traumatic that must have been? I also wonder if they have cleaned the room up and are already renting it out again. Can you imagine the creeps you'd get if you found out you were sleeping in a room where someone had been murdered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89