GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an earlier post someone theorized that the hook-up, who I believe departed shortly before DM's text to his wife, passed a keycard to the POI. I don't think this works. That would presume that the assailant & hook-up both knew ahead of time that access to the rooms was tricky. POI didn't know this because he/she tried the elevator and maybe the stairs.
A hook-up wouldn't have a key to the room anyway. Guy gets a room. Prostitute or mistress shows up. They spend an hour or two together. Prostitute or mistress leaves. She and POI couldn't have planned for her to swipe one off table since there was no guarantee the card would be readily available to pickup.

The POI could have been waiting in the hallway for when he opened the door to leave. The POI could have even knocked on the door.

I just saw that there is a parking garage next to the Donovan. I now believe that the 7:40 video was the POI in the garage not between floors in the hotel.

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/video/mystery-surrounds-lawyers-hotel-murder/
This video is from 2/13/15 and it shows the parking garage entrance.
I noticed the time of the stairwell was earlier than the time in front of the elevators. I assumed it was because the cameras times weren't programmed accurately. Now it seems the stairs are earlier because they are in the parking garage.

Does the POI being in the parking garage indicate he arrived by car? Why was he going UP the stairs? Is there access to the hotel on an upper floor?

A hook-up wouldn't have a key to the room anyway. Guy gets a room. Prostitute or mistress shows up. They spend an hour or two together. Prostitute or mistress leaves. She and POI couldn't have planned for her to swipe one off table since there was no guarantee the card would be readily available to pickup.

The POI could have been waiting in the hallway for when he opened the door to leave. The POI could have even knocked on the door.

That was me :D I was throwing stuff out - some sticks, some doesn't lol! I was thinking the date could take DM's key - because you're right that a date wouldn't have their own key (unless they booked the room), but we know DM booked the room.

Man, I still don't get paying $125 for a room to use for a couple of hours in addition to what the date would charge. I saw some people saying it was $300 for the room, but that's even worse! If this had been going on for some time, 1) wife would surely know something's up because what a freaking financial drain, I know they make good salaries, but it's still a large amount to see randomly on CC records. Assuming she looked at statements. 2) the hotel staff would recognize him or his name unless he bounced around to different places.

Ah! I just went to the Donovan site to see their cheapest room again and viola! those pages are "service unavailable at this time" crashed?
Hotels dot com has $140. That price doesn't scream luxury despite what the pictures of the room look like.

And yessiree...a 24 hour gym.

One of the links in this thread to MSM article quotes his wife as saying he left the house Sunday night. Why? Where did he stay? We know it wasn't where he was found because supposedly he didn't check into the Donovan until 5:30ish the following day.

Not enough information of the right kind being put forth.

If a hotel has enough forethought to require a keycard to access the elevator, then surely a keycard would be needed to get out of the stairwell on any floor.

New thought for me probably already mentioned by someone else - his date was there for the quick one and saw the amount of cash he had at that time. Date came back covered up with that half-assed disguise to rob him. Quick to cover up, quick to discard. Yes, I believe that other person standing by the door was connected to the POI.

Just rewatched the video in slow motion for the first time.

When the POI is at the elevators, he looks over at the second elevator, then gets on the first elevator only to get back off. He walks over and pushes the elevator call button on the wall. It appears he would prefer to ride the second elevator. Why? The spokesperson who said that the elevators were not working, may not have wanted to comment about needing a room key to operate the elevator. Personally I doubt both elevators were out of order. Had both elevators actually not been working, there would have been either a hotel person standing their to advise guests on alternate options, or a storyboard with directions.

Also, as POI climbs the steps and puts his hand on the wall, this is a GUY movement. A young guy. Females do not do this and particularly when they are dressed in extra layers, shoes that don't fit, and trying to balance themselves.

This person seems to have achieved their purpose of confusing LE as to man or woman. Or maybe the police are just following the POI's lead in letting him/her think they are confused. It wouldn't be the first time! I imagine a good FBI profiler could nail this gender quickly.

Just rewatched the video in slow motion for the first time.

When the POI is at the elevators, he looks over at the second elevator, then gets on the first elevator only to get back off. He walks over and pushes the elevator call button on the wall. It appears he would prefer to ride the second elevator. Why? The spokesperson who said that the elevators were not working, may not have wanted to comment about needing a room key to operate the elevator. 1) Personally I doubt both elevators were out of order. Had both elevators actually not been working, there would have been either a hotel person standing their to advise guests on alternate options, or a storyboard with directions.

2) Also, as POI climbs the steps and puts his hand on the wall, this is a GUY movement. A young guy. Females do not do this and particularly when they are dressed in extra layers, shoes that don't fit, and trying to balance themselves.

This person seems to have achieved their purpose of confusing LE as to man or woman. Or maybe the police are just following the POI's lead in letting him/her think they are confused. It wouldn't be the first time! I imagine a good FBI profiler could nail this gender quickly.

My opinions are:

1) I agree with you. I wonder if LE checked elevators and staffers. Wouldn't be the first time staff somewhere tipped off someone about a person ripe for the taking.

2) I beg to differ! I absolutely use my hand to steady myself on the wall if that's what's there! I'm not a tinkerbell, but I'm definitely a girlygirl. And who would need to steady themselves more than someone male or female wearing shoes that are too long in addition to too big clothes that don't belong to them. I'll grab anything to steady myself if I need to balance myself.

The gloved hand over the mouth while in the lobby is good manners if you're coughing, yawning, sneezing or boipin' in addition to putting hand at mouth can be a sign of anxiety (or as previously stated by someone, blowing on your hand for warmth). Too bad, seeing the teeth would be one more identifier than we have now.

Just saying that steadying yourself on a wall isn't strictly a male action. :hand:

My opinions only, no accusations intended.

http://dcpoliceunion.com/blog/crime-update-from-the-dc-police-union-city-wide25

David Messerschmitt, 30, was identified as the man who was stabbed and killed Tuesday, February 10th, inside of a hotel room in downtown DC. Police have released a video of a person of interest in the homicide and authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect.

bbm

so perhaps sometime after midnight?
Granted DM's body wasn't found in the room until Tuesday, February 10, however, I see this as problematic if the POI in the surveillance video is ever apprehended or connected with his death. That person is clearly in the hotel on Monday, February 9, nowhere near midnight. The fact that DM allegedly texted his wife and told her he would be home in an hour (approximately 8:30pm on Monday) one could surmise his death occurred shortly after the text (assuming he is the one who texted her) and not after midnight.

Other than the body not being found until the next day, I am curious what led the ME to put that as his DOD?

MOO

So wife expects him home approx 830pish Mon. Then another hour goes by..so its 930pish.. Then another hour.... Ok, so she is probably getting madder by the hour, IMO. As midnight approaches, it it were me, I would assume he was at some bar and would not even entertain calling LE....at the very least.. a half hour after bar closing time. Logically one would think that she called, texted him alot that evening with no response, and then start calling friends, family maybe, colleagues to see if he was out with them or if they knew if he had a change of plans or his whereabouts. Calling LE after only 4ish hrs missing does not sit well with me. Yes, I might be waiting unpatiently with a frying pan :maddening: but I would wait until the next day to see what happened and if he went to work, etc. IMO.
Agree. it doesn't seem like much time had elapsed. Perhaps he always responded to her calls/texts and that is what alarmed her (assuming she indeed attempt several communications with him when he failed to arrive home). Curious if there was anything else going through her mind, however, such as past threats against him by others, or something that would lead her to call LE during the night instead of waiting to see if he went to work that morning.

:waitasec:

MOO

I'm still waiting to hear about his finances, maybe he didn't pay up on a large debt.

Granted DM's body wasn't found in the room until Tuesday, February 10, however, I see this as problematic if the POI in the surveillance video is ever apprehended or connected with his death. That person is clearly in the hotel on Monday, February 9, nowhere near midnight. The fact that DM allegedly texted his wife and told her he would be home in an hour (approximately 8:30pm on Monday) one could surmise his death occurred shortly after the text (assuming he is the one who texted her) and not after midnight.

Other than the body not being found until the next day, I am curious what led the ME to put that as his DOD?

MOO

It's standard practice to list the discovery date as the date of death, regardless of when authorities believe death actually occurred.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

The Medical Examiner should have a close approximation to the time of death. Also, he should have answers to a few questions that we struggle with - was this a hook up with a male or female, was act completed?

For his wife and family, with all the assumptions out here, I guess to hear it was a mistress would be the best resolution for them. No answer or hearing he met with a male will be devastating. IMO.

It's standard practice to list the discovery date as the date of death, regardless of when authorities believe death actually occurred.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

Just thinking ahead to possible defense strategies.

The Medical Examiner should have a close approximation to the time of death. Also, he should have answers to a few questions that we struggle with - was this a hook up with a male or female, was act completed?

For his wife and family, with all the assumptions out here, I guess to hear it was a mistress would be the best resolution for them. No answer or hearing he met with a male will be devastating. IMO.
Agree, the ME should have a lot of valuable information since DM was in a controlled environment (not outside in the elements) and was discovered only hours after death. Rigor mortis, lividity and stomach contents could also establish TOD.

MOO

I just saw that there is a parking garage next to the Donovan. I now believe that the 7:40 video was the POI in the garage not between floors in the hotel.

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/video/mystery-surrounds-lawyers-hotel-murder/
This video is from 2/13/15 and it shows the parking garage entrance.

Thank you for re-posting this link. I appreciate your consideration of the timing very much.

FelicityLemon, so, did the POI wear something like Depends? In all seriousness, waiting around to do something like that, much less doing it (the nerves it would take), visiting a horse would be a bit of pain dressed like that, you'd have to use the men's room?

Thank you for re-posting this link. I appreciate your consideration of the timing very much.

FelicityLemon, so, did the POI wear something like Depends? In all seriousness, waiting around to do something like that, much less doing it (the nerves it would take), visiting a horse would be a bit of pain dressed like that, you'd have to use the men's room?

Not if you were used to this type of "business".

LOL, it never occurred to me. I can only venture to say that most people would have to wear diapers while contemplating a such a personal, bloody and heinous act, but then we're (I assume, you, too, haha) not psychopaths. For a thankfully small percentage of the population, it'd be no sweat. BUT, I'd bet that number goes up to include people who would murder if they knew for certain they wouldn't get caught. Still, big difference between cowardly shooting someone from a car to up close and personal stabbing even if it was in the back. It would be insulting of me to call that murderer or any other, an animal. Insulting to animals.

I'd also bet that there are people who've wet themselves or thrown up at the time of murdering someone.

Just as an aside: adult diapers have gotten so much less bulky according to Lisa Rinna who wore one under a slinky dress while dancing for as an endorsement a few years ago.

LOL, it never occurred to me. I can only venture to say that most people would have to wear diapers while contemplating a such a personal, bloody and heinous act, but then we're (I assume, you, too, haha) not psychopaths. For a thankfully small percentage of the population, it'd be no sweat. BUT, I'd bet that number goes up to include people who would murder if they knew for certain they wouldn't get caught. Still, big difference between cowardly shooting someone from a car to up close and personal stabbing even if it was in the back. It would be insulting of me to call that murderer or any other, an animal. Insulting to animals.

I'd also bet that there are people who've wet themselves or thrown up at the time of murdering someone.

Just as an aside: adult diapers have gotten so much less bulky according to Lisa Rinna who wore one under a slinky dress while dancing for as an endorsement a few years ago.

Good to know. Yes, I think if anyone had it out for the promising young lawyer David Messerschmitt, it would be a very short list of people. Reminded of Andrew Cunanan, who killed Versace. Even his murders were not as brutal, based on the police reports released last week. This POI, if they acted alone, may be a very angry person whose anger may have been felt before. I think seeing the life dissipate from a person may not have been enough for the murderer, they needed to say something with this murder, to David, to the world, to themselves. A foolish person somehow not grounded completely in reality, on their own script. It's hard to make sense the combination of boldness and furtiveness, the look, all the information released so far, doesn't seem at all rational, passion, if that makes sense? Or is it all supposed to just look that way?

There has to be alot of surveillance video that LE is reviewing. Its DC. Just keeping it under wraps until perp is arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper