GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Tracfone, which I buy minutes for as needed. But since I do not get a bill, unless you know I have it, I can't think how it could traced. Now if LE knew I had one and knew someone I had called on it, they would be able to figure out the number I guess. Also if DM had paid for minutes by credit card at some point. LE should be able to see that and backtrack to phone number, and then numbers dialed, etc...I think.

If DM called a burner phone from his everyday mobile, could LE trace that call to a person with the burner phone?
I understand that the number would be in his call log, but could it be tracked to a person

If DM called a burner phone from his everyday mobile, could LE trace that call to a person with the burner phone?
I understand that the number would be in his call log, but could it be tracked to a person

No. The burner number called from his phone could not be traced back to the person with the burner.

No. The burner number called from his phone could not be traced back to the person with the burner.

Thank you

I guess the point I was trying (poorly) to make is that David may have used his legitimate, regular phone. He may never have seen a need to hide his communication.

A burner phones number will show up on a regular cell phone, but there's no way to trace it to the caller if the caller was smart about how he/she paid for it. A burner phone is a prepaid phone, and it's easy to hide the identity via how it is bought and paid. They're called burner phones because criminals throw them away regularly to change phone numbers so LE can't trace their calls. For example, a drug dealer can switch phones each week making it next to impossible for LE to wiretap. No sooner than LE gets a warrant for a wiretap of a specific phone number, the drug dealer has switched phone numbers by dumping one prepaid phone for another.

Only if the owner of the burner phone paid for minutes using a credit card in his/her name.

Only if the owner of the burner phone paid for minutes using a credit card in his/her name.

Right. You can buy the phones and minutes at places like Walmart. If you use cash, there would not be a trail except by the purchase on video at the store.

I want to focus on the "why" this happened. I am honing in on the word "revenge". It took a very sinister mind to leave an enema laying near the body (if in fact it was planted). The humiliation, the disgrace. Revenge.

Someone close to him must know what might have prompted this. He would have confided in one of his close male friends if he had a "friend" on the side. And he certainly would have consulted with his close male friend if the "friend on the side" had become demanding and nutso.

We figure out the "why", we'll figure out the "who". I think someone at his law firm knows. JMO

In some ways this case reminds me of Dr Cornbleet's murder. He was killed by a person with revenge on his mind. The killer made a fake appointment with the doctor, flew to Chicago and was seen on video going up to the Dr's office to stab him to death.

Someone obviously wanted him dead, that is clear IMO, because I do believe it was planned.
I do not know if things were planted. It is a possibility but it is not a certainty

Revenge , that works for me.
If disgrace and humiliation were factors, then I am leaning to someone very close to him
Why would anyone bother to humiliate him if they were just trying to get rid of what they saw as a threat

I don't agree that DM would have necessarily confided in anyone if he was having an extramarital affair, female or male

Dushi - if the "friend" was getting out of hand, they would have consulted a male friend. Men talk about their conquests to each other all the time. Low brow behavior, but it true.

Dushi - if the "friend" was getting out of hand, they would have consulted a male friend. Men talk about their conquests to each other all the time. Low brow behavior, but it true.

I respectfully disagree
This man had a lot at stake, wife, job, reputation etc.
I thankfully have no experience in these matters, but I don't think he would necessarily confide in another man.
And to be honest, at this point, I don't know what gender DM may have had an affair with, if in fact he ever did
All MHO

Many big swingeroo business men consider it their entitlement to enjoy a little "physical therapy" from time to time. It would not be shocking or irregular for him to "wink wink nudge nudge" with some/one of the good ol' boys at work. On this point we respectfully agree to have a differing viewpoint.

Regardless, I think we'll hear an arrest soon. I speculate LE is getting all the forensics lined up.

Many big swingeroo business men consider it their entitlement to enjoy a little "physical therapy" from time to time. It would not be shocking or irregular for him to "wink wink nudge nudge" with some/one of the good ol' boys at work. On this point we respectfully agree to have a differing viewpoint.

Regardless, I think we'll hear an arrest soon. I speculate LE is getting all the forensics lined up.

I truly hope so

My mind is racing....

Is it at all possible that the murderer had booked into a room at the hotel, left, came back dressed as we see, committed the crime, walked back to their room.
Changed and packed up the heavy clothing and then left the next morning

LONG SHOT

Are there cameras in the hallways?

Yeah well..no
LE would have realized that
I expect they have video of the POI leaving

A Few Things:

* There is no evidence that DM owned and/or had possession of a burner phone.

* DLA Piper's Employee Assistance Program (Benefits package) includes covering complete cost for massage therapy sessions (as well as: Hybrid vehicle reimbursement program, Discounted gym memberships, Concierge services, Counseling services)

* For a covert private meeting (whether personal or professional), the Donovan makes sense because it has a very trendy/popular bar area so if DM was spotted at the Donovan it wouldn't raise eyebrows like it would if he were at the less expensive Courtyard, Doubletree or the Westin [all within feet of the Donovan but none with a decent bar]

DUSHI: Are there cameras in the hallways?
YES. Concierge is on the same level as DM's room and the security camera would show DM's room (per WTTG channel 5 DC; I think)

DUSHI: Is it at all possible that the murderer had booked into a room at the hotel, left, came back dressed as we see, committed the crime, walked back to their room.
Changed and packed up the heavy clothing and then left the next morning
NO. Why give the hotel computer your name (or alias) if the purpose of your visit is to murder someone?

* RE The Elevator:
I think the report that the elevator was out of service is inaccurate (the news, not WS, may have got it wrong)...
Why?
- The Donovan is 14 floors tall (Guest rooms on 13th floor, bar/lounge on 14th)
- There was no bellhop by the elevator, no signage; nothing or no one to let the guest know that he or she would be walking up 13 flights of stairs (potentially with luggage)
- I'm guessing that guest floors require a guest room key to activate the elevator after 6 or 7pm.

I don't think men necessarily tell friends about affairs, either. It is more embarrassing than macho, these days, Imo. Especially if they got in over their head.

But I do think he MUST have had another phone, if not a "secret" one, or else how was this assignation arranged and why can't LE seem to pinpoint the calls or texts made to arrange it, which would lead to a person? I don't believe it was all done in person, to include providing room number, etc...jmo

A Few Things:

* DLA Piper's Employee Assistance Program (Benefits package) includes covering complete cost for massage therapy sessions (as well as: Hybrid vehicle reimbursement program, Discounted gym memberships, Concierge services, Counseling services)

* For a covert private meeting (whether personal or professional), the Donovan makes sense because it has a very trendy/popular bar area so if DM was spotted at the Donovan it wouldn't raise eyebrows like it would if he were at the less expensive Courtyard, Doubletree or the Westin [all within feet of the Donovan but none with a decent bar]

YES. Concierge is on the same level as DM's room and the security camera would show DM's room (per WTTG channel 5 DC; I think)

NO. Why give the hotel computer your name (or alias) if the purpose of your visit is to murder someone?

Well there you go
LE must have a very clear picture of the comings and goings in DM's room

A Few Things:

My question wasn't whether he owned one
It was could a call he MADE to one be traced

There is very little evidence of anything
Mostly speculation

My question wasn't whether he owned one
It was could a call he MADE to one be traced
My apologies. As I was catching up on the thread, the way the discussion was flowing I thought that they had found/announced new evidence of a burner... had to go back 2 more pages to learn it was a theory.

There is very little evidence of anything
Mostly speculation

Well it's not as bad as the media coverage of Germanwings which is complete speculation....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1