DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not sure you will be able to read this old article (1996) from the Wall Street Journal which states that Nixon was tortured by Watergate and had shame about it. I do believe that. I do not equate him with Trump: Nixon was a real politician, an intelligent man, who really did some good things while he was president. Unfortunately he was also corrupt - but I don't believe he was a sociopath: he was not violent and he did not encourage violence.

I can't read it, but I believe you.

The defense lawyer on this case is making the rounds on Sunday morning news shows. I tried watching a segment but bailed as he is intolerable to listen to, imo. But I'm not his audience.

If he has time to be interviewed all morning today, I guess that means the defense team will be ready for its Monday deadline with the court without problem, proving there was no need to delay until Thursday.

jmo

I feel certain this is one reason the judge denied the extension. If he has time to go on the news shows then he has time to prepare his response.

AUG 6, 2023
John Lauro, one of Donald Trump’s attorneys in the federal case over his attempts to overturn the 2020 election, vehemently defended the former president against allegations Trump knowingly spread false claims of election fraud to remain in power and claimed Trump's efforts were merely "aspirational," not criminal.

“The defense is quite simple,” Lauro said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “President Trump believed in his heart of hearts that he had won that election.”

[...]

Referring to Trump’s now-infamous phone call in 2021 with Georgia's Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger where Trump appeared to threaten him with a criminal charge and asked him to “just find 11,780 votes,” Lauro argued it was just an "ask" from Trump.

[...]

“The defendant had a right, like every American to speak publicly about the election and even to claim, falsely, that there had been outcome-determinative fraud during the election and that he had won,” read the indictment.

[...]

Referring to Trump’s now-infamous phone call in 2021 with Georgia's Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger where Trump appeared to threaten him with a criminal charge and asked him to “just find 11,780 votes,” Lauro argued it was just an "ask" from Trump.

Yeah, like going into a bank with a gun and “asking” for all the money.

Particularly as Trump stated that both Raffensperger and his lawyer were doing something illegal by refusing him. That was a threat as well as a lie, not quite a polite request lol.

I am not sure you will be able to read this old article (1996) from the Wall Street Journal which states that Nixon was tortured by Watergate and had shame about it. I do believe that. I do not equate him with Trump: Nixon was a real politician, an intelligent man, who really did some good things while he was president. Unfortunately he was also corrupt - but I don't believe he was a sociopath: he was not violent and he did not encourage violence.
And, in the end, Nixon proved capable of putting country first. Thus far, and as demonstrated throughout his entire life, Trump is a purely "me first and only" individual. He's vile.

And, in the end, Nixon proved capable of putting country first. Thus far, and as demonstrated throughout his entire life, Trump is a purely "me first and only" individual. He's vile.
exactly right. Despite Nixon's corrupt actions, he has little in common with Trump, until this point, has never had to pay for any of his crooked/corrupt activity. Even the New York case (to me it is a nothingburger) and the documents case could be a problem for him, but this case involving attempts to overthrow an election is a huge deal and has the real potential to put him in prison for years and he knows it, which is why he is going ballistic and threatening. He knows these judges in Washington are not going to fall for his usual BS- his usual tactics are not going to fly (delay delay delay)----This case worries me the most because I am afraid of the violence he may incite against the government.

AUG 6, 2023
John Lauro, one of Donald Trump’s attorneys in the federal case over his attempts to overturn the 2020 election, vehemently defended the former president against allegations Trump knowingly spread false claims of election fraud to remain in power and claimed Trump's efforts were merely "aspirational," not criminal.

“The defense is quite simple,” Lauro said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “President Trump believed in his heart of hearts that he had won that election.”

[...]

[...]

“The defendant had a right, like every American to speak publicly about the election and even to claim, falsely, that there had been outcome-determinative fraud during the election and that he had won,” read the indictment.

[...]
BBM. At trial, Smith will put on witness after witness who will destroy that "simple defense." I think Trump's once loyal pals will prefer to stay out of jail.

JMO

"Former Attorney General Bill Barr said he is willing to testify against former President Trump at his Jan. 6 trial."

"'...on three occasions at least, I told him in no uncertain terms, that there was no evidence of fraud that would have changed the outcome,' he said."

The defense team wants a change of venue to West Virginia, stating it's more "diverse."

WV is 92.08% white.

WV is also the least educated state in America.

Sources

The defense team wants a change of venue to West Virginia, stating it's more "diverse."

WV is 92.08% white.

WV is also the least educated state in America.

Sources

It shouldn't make any difference where the trial is held. The judge should be able to honour the law wherever they sit in the US and the jury is expected to base their decision on the evidence, not on who they voted for in the last election. I believe T is trying to undermine the validity of the judicial system.

It shouldn't make any difference where the trial is held. The judge should be able to honour the law wherever they sit in the US and the jury is expected to base their decision on the evidence, not on who they voted for in the last election. I believe T is trying to undermine the validity of the judicial system.
100% agree on all points.

Plus, he's giving his fans something to scream about (even though it holds no validity and doesn't even make sense).

jmo

snipped

2020 Presidential results:

West Virginia for Trump: 68.63%
Washington DC for Trump: 5.40%

To be fair I do wish the trial were moved to a court that is not in DC. Reading those stats just assures more claims of unfairness with the results. If the goal is to get Trump it needs to be by a court that is unbiased and a jury of his peers - these are not his peers if there's only 5.40% that voted for him in DC. I am not saying move it to WV, is there a state that doesn't lean one way or the other? I want this to be a fair trial and the truth to come out and no political agenda. We all should want that.

To be fair I do wish the trial were moved to a court that is not in DC. Reading those stats just assures more claims of unfairness with the results. If the goal is to get Trump it needs to be by a court that is unbiased and a jury of his peers - these are not his peers if there's only 5.40% that voted for him in DC. I am not saying move it to WV, is there a state that doesn't lean one way or the other? I want this to be a fair trial and the truth to come out and no political agenda. We all should want that.
IMO, not being popular is not a compelling reason to change venue, imo. Most criminals are not popular.

jmo

IMO, not being popular is not a compelling reason to change venue, imo. Most criminals are not popular.

jmo
IMO this isn't about being popular, it's about a fair trial with a jury of his peers. DC is too political regardless of the party.

Commenting on Trump’s court appearance, where he was visibly concerned, Pelosi told MSNBC, “I saw a scared puppy.”

“He looked very, very, very concerned about the fate. I didn't see any bravado or confidence or anything like that. He knows the truth that he lost the election and now he's got to face the music.”

On Sunday, Trump took to Truth Social to hit back against Pelosi's MSNBC comments.

"I purposely didn't comment on Nancy Pelosi's very weird story concerning her husband, but now I can because she said something about me, with glee, that was really quite vicious," the former president's post read. "'I saw a scared puppy,' she said, as she watched me on television, like millions of others, that didn't see that. I wasn't 'scared.' Nevertheless, how mean a thing to say! She is a Wicked Witch whose husbands journey from hell starts and finishes with her. She is a sick & demented psycho who will someday live in HELL!"

IMO this isn't about being popular, it's about a fair trial with a jury of his peers. DC is too political regardless of the party.
The voter turnout in D.C. was around 60% iirc from the link above, so I don't think it entirely accurate that he couldn't find a fair jury pool simply based on him losing the election.

But I agree to disagree. :)

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members