DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things that are puzzling me.

Approximately, how many hours does a non live-in housekeeper do?

Why was the voice message left that night, at we're led to believe, late enough so that Housekeeper 2 was probably asleep and didn't retrieve it until the next morning, if housekeeper 1 worked days so surely the decision would have been made early evening at the latest?

Why, if the two housekeepers were such good friends, did housekeeper 2 not seem surprised that housekeeper 1 didn't just use the husband's phone and talk to her herself?

How does the husband get round to the subject of his wife being sick in bed all day, while leaving a message on an answering machine about letting housekeeper 1's husband know she wasn't coming home that night?

When she received the message on Thursday morning the first thing she did was call Amy but got no answer. Why didn't she phone housekeeper 1's husband and let him know where his wife had been all night, that was the point of the message after all!

Why was Amy's text to housekeeper 2 so curt and why did housekeeper 2 not acknowledge it as so? Imo, it seems odd the lack of warmth to someone that's been in your employ for 20 years so I'm wondering if relations between the two were frosty, so housekeeper 2 was used to such texts. If we say that the text was different because someone else had sent it then surely that would have been obvious to housekeeper 2 and a big red flag that something wasn't right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

This almost feels like two different crimes to me. The murder/suicide and then someone arriving on the scene, realizing what's happened and making the most of the opportunity. The main reason I think this is because of the phone call with the sister on the Thursday morning

"When Debra Masser spoke to her brother Savvas Savopoulos by phone Thursday morning, the chief executive and father of a prominent local family seemed to be untroubled and in good spirits."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html?tid=trending_strip_3

I'm 99.9% sure that gas stations won't allow you to fill a bucket with gasoline, you need to have a container designed for holding gas (generally with a spout and cap).

Agreed. And I changed my mind about this after considering the time stamp on the video of the person of interest (assuming my daylight saving theory holds) and the possibility the bucket was actually a plastic bag.

I don't think this probably has much to do with the crime but a couple of people have wondered about the marital art studio. It does seem to have been a long time personal interest of his. At this link it says Mr. Savapolous is a licensed instructor in 3 Japanese martial arts:

http://www.universityclubdc.com/default.aspx?p=ViewEventFlyer&ssid=94272&eventid=1734177

Some of the kids seem to have also been involved but I won't link things about them.

I wondered about the studio, but not because I question his interest in martial arts but because I question why he seemed to be handling the tasks during the week preparing for the opening. I would think he would delegate that work, considering he had a high-level job to attend to. Did he go to his company or work on the studio? And one article said that there was little evidence that a martial arts studio was in the space. What was he working on all week?

Things that are puzzling me.

Approximately, how many hours does a non live-in housekeeper do?

Affluent families in Washington DC have "housekeepers" that more often resemble personal assistants. They often wind up doing everything from laundry to running errand. The price of the father's car, combined cost of the children's education, and cost of the house suggests to me they were on the higher end of affluent.

Why, if the two housekeepers were such good friends, did housekeeper 2 not seem surprised that housekeeper 1 didn't just use the husband's phone and talk to her herself?

She may very well have been confused but perhaps not confused enough to alert the authorities? Perhaps Mr. Savapoulos was a little bit idiosyncratic?

How does the husband get round to the subject of his wife being sick in bed all day, while leaving a message on an answering machine about letting housekeeper 1's husband know she wasn't coming home that night?

I think he was being coached.

The video is very blurry, but the it looks like perp may have a ponytail (@ 00:16 sec mark I think). It could just be the blur though, difficult to see. Stabbing is very personal and since there are 4 victims my guess is there is more than one perp. Eta- if perp has hood (@ 00:09 mark) it looks two-toned gray hood and black shirt, and that could narrow down person (quick search found tone-toned sweatshirts at Teague Custom Marine, but other clothing lines may sell such types). Again, it could be blur/shadows, so hopefully LE has a way to zero in on some unique characteristics. Jmo/
Yeh, I can't make out any detail from the video and I don't think LE expects anyone to be able to ID a POI from that image. I think they're trying to stimulate people's memories because it's likely someone saw this same person in the area late Thursday afternoon. If someone saw a person in a gray hoodie and carrying a white bag alone in that area in the late afternoon, they would hopefully have a more detailed description of the POI to give LE.

I don't think this probably has much to do with the crime but a couple of people have wondered about the marital art studio. It does seem to have been a long time personal interest of his. At this link it says Mr. Savapolous is a licensed instructor in 3 Japanese martial arts:

http://www.universityclubdc.com/default.aspx?p=ViewEventFlyer&ssid=94272&eventid=1734177

Some of the kids seem to have also been involved but I won't link things about them.

I was thinking it was going to be a gift to his daughter for graduation next week, iirc he was trying to get it done by then, iirc jmo idk

There is not any new info in this report. There is screenshot of the text from the wife to the housekeeper at 9:56 Thursday morning. The grammar in the text doesn't seem right to me but moo.

Autocorrect or maybe nervous typing...

I was thinking it was going to be a gift to his daughter for graduation next week, iirc he was trying to get it done by then, iirc jmo idk

Even so, I would think he's a very busy man with his job and would delegate the work preparing the studio to someone else.

But...maybe he wanted to do with the work with his own two hands, even though he has the means to hire it done. Need more info.

JMO.

I am having doubt's that philip was home due to injuries, or that the battery was dead in the housekeepers phone. jmo idk

On Wednesday night, Gutierrez told police, she got the voice mail from Savvas Savopoulos saying that his wife was sick and Philip was home from school with an injury.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

He told her that Figueroa was going to stay the night to help, but that her phone had died and she had no charger. He asked the housekeeper to call Figueroa’s relatives to relay the message.

Even so, I would think he's a very busy man with his job and would delegate the work preparing the studio to someone else.

But...maybe he wanted to do with the work with his own two hands, even though he has the means to hire it done. Need more info.

JMO.
IMO, he probably had delegated the work to contractors, but was inspecting the final product to ensure everything was done to specifications. Usually, CEO's work flex hours -- some weeks putting in very long hours (e.g., during audits) and then working few hours other weeks -- so I'm sure his business at American Iron Works hadn't been neglected, either.

I am having doubt's that philip was home due to injuries, or that the battery was dead in the housekeepers phone. jmo idk

On Wednesday night, Gutierrez told police, she got the voice mail from Savvas Savopoulos saying that his wife was sick and Philip was home from school with an injury.

He told her that Figueroa was going to stay the night to help, but that her phone had died and she had no charger. He asked the housekeeper to call Figueroa’s relatives to relay the message.
BBM

I've been thinking the same, but if Philip didn't go to school on Wednesday that raises the possibility that the whole horrid situation began Wednesday A.M. Who last saw any of these people? Not heard from them, but actually saw them in person???

I'm trying to imagine how one person with just a knife holds three adults hostage and under control for that long. Not saying it's not possible, just very difficult IMO.

I'm assuming since they tried to do CPR that it did not appear that they had been dead since the night before?

BBM:
This is what is so unbelievable to me. There has to be more than one person responsible here, IMO. S. Savopoulos was a very intelligent man and one who appears to be in good shape physically. I just don't think he would have obeyed someone who just had a knife or even possibly a gun as his loved ones were in danger. This appears to have started on Wednesday, so how did one person control 3 adults and a 10 year old child for that long?

As the Savopoulos family were to be moving out of the country soon (IIRC), did the husband decide to not open the martial arts place after all and someone got really mad over it? Maybe someone who was supposed to have run it for him?

Did the family offer the housekeeper who had worked for them for 20 years an opportunity to move with them and someone didn't like it? I have a feeling that these murders revolve around the long term housekeeper and the martial arts center.

I am probably very wrong and have been many times in the past. This is such a strange, strange case. I so badly want whoever did this to be caught!

MOO

BBM:
This is what is so unbelievable to me. There has to be more than one person responsible here, IMO. S. Savopoulos was a very intelligent man and one who appears to be in good shape physically. I just don't think he would have obeyed someone who just had a knife or even possibly a gun as his loved ones were in danger. This appears to have started on Wednesday, so how did one person control 3 adults and a 10 year old child for that long?

As the Savopoulos family were to be moving out of the country soon (IIRC), did the husband decide to not open the marshal arts place after all and someone got really mad over it? Maybe someone who was supposed to have run it for him?

Did the family offer the housekeeper who had worked for them for 20 years an opportunity to move with them and someone didn't like it? I have a feeling that these murders revolve around the long term housekeeper and the marshal arts center.

I am probably very wrong and have been many times in the past. This is such a strange, strange case. I so badly want whoever did this to be caught!

MOO

And now we learn that Mr.Savopoulos was experienced in martial arts!

"I don't think this probably has much to do with the crime but a couple of people have wondered about the marital art studio. It does seem to have been a long time personal interest of his. At this link it says Mr. Savapolous is a licensed instructor in 3 Japanese martial arts:

http://www.universityclubdc.com/defa...ventid=1734177"

I have a question for those of you in the D.C. Area. What was the weather like on Thursday? It's very warm here in the South..someone wearing that hoodie would look very conspicuous.

Was it warm in D.C. On Thursday or would the perp have just blended in?

I missed the information that the family was moving out of the country soon. Does anyone have a link to that information?

BBM:

As the Savopoulos family were to be moving out of the country soon (IIRC), did the husband decide to not open the marshal arts place after all and someone got really mad over it? Maybe someone who was supposed to have run it for him?

Did the family offer the housekeeper who had worked for them for 20 years an opportunity to move with them and someone didn't like it? I have a feeling that these murders revolve around the long term housekeeper and the marshal arts center.

MOO

I think the mother, father and housekeeper would've done anything the perp ordered if a gun or knife was held on the boy JMO.

I missed the information that the family was moving out of the country soon. Does anyone have a link to that information?
Sorry I don't have a link but what I remember is the husband recently got a new job in Puerto Rico. I don't recall anything about the family moving there.

And now we learn that Mr.Savopoulos was experienced in martial arts!

"I don't think this probably has much to do with the crime but a couple of people have wondered about the marital art studio. It does seem to have been a long time personal interest of his. At this link it says Mr. Savapolous is a licensed instructor in 3 Japanese martial arts:

http://www.universityclubdc.com/defa...ventid=1734177"

I have a question for those of you in the D.C. Area. What was the weather like on Thursday? It's very warm here in the South..someone wearing that hoodie would look very conspicuous.

Was it warm in D.C. On Thursday or would the perp have just blended in?
I can see one person perpetrating this crime only if he disabled and tied up each victim as they entered the house at different times. I remember that happening in at least one other case. To disable SS at all, since he was trained in martial arts, IMO the perp would have to surprise him from behind. With that in mind, I'm guessing SS was the one with blunt force trauma to his head. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1