DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snip
Nelitza Gutierrez, the housekeeper who received the messages and has worked for the family for 20 years,

snip
She said Savvas Savopoulos told her in person Wednesday that his wife had plans to go out,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...bf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html?hpid=z3

So before she left there wednesday he told her this about amy then thursday morning she hears the questionable message about amy being sick and don't come in. jmo idk

The home is in Charlotte Amalie, in the US Virgin Islands (that was in one of the local papers or news casts)

Wait, is that a tax haven? His business dealings do not exactly sound like they are completely on the up and up to me.

snip
Nelitza Gutierrez, the housekeeper who received the messages and has worked for the family for 20 years,

snip
She said Savvas Savopoulos told her in person Wednesday that his wife had plans to go out,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...bf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html?hpid=z3

So before she left there wednesday he told her this about amy then thursday morning she hears the questionable message about amy being sick and don't come in. jmo idk

Nelitza was working at the martial arts studio during the week, not at the home. She had a regular gig to work at the home on Thursdays. SS hired her to help at the studio, in preparation for its opening.

"The Savopoulos family has lived in the sprawling property on the 3200 block of Woodland Drive since 2002. They also have a $240,000 two-bedroom condo in St Croix in the Virgin Islands.

Savopoulos had reportedly accepted a job in Puerto Rico. Alongside American Iron Works, he is the chairman of the board of Sigma Enterprises Ltd, an international trading firm."

- See more at: http://www.bostonnewstime.com/regio...in-d-c-arson-murder.html#sthash.YXGHXL3A.dpuf

I mostly lurk, rarely post but have to say that it is bizarre that his hedge fund is located in the same place the martial arts studio was purportedly being built, Chantilly, VA, which is a remote suburb of DC IMO. This is local to me, and Chantilly VA is an odd place to locate a hedge fund. JMHO.

Puerto Rico Creates Tax Shelters in Appeal to the Rich
By LYNNLEY BROWNING and JULIE CRESWELL MARCH 25, 2013 8:09 PM March 25, 2013

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/puerto-rico-creates-tax-shelters-in-appeal-to-the-rich/

"Known for its white-sand beaches and killer rums, Puerto Rico hopes to stake a new claim: tax haven for the wealthy.

Since the beginning of the year, the island has gone on a campaign to promote tax incentives that took effect last year, marketing its beautiful beaches, private schools and bargain costs in an effort to lure well-heeled hedge fund managers and business executives to its shores.

So far, Puerto Rico’s pitch has attracted a handful of under-the-radar millionaires. Several American executives of mostly smaller financial firms say they have already relocated to the island, and Puerto Rican officials say another 40 persons, mostly from the United States, have applied.

A must read article, imo.

I mostly lurk, rarely post but have to say that it is bizarre that his hedge fund is located in the same place the martial arts studio was purportedly being built, Chantilly, VA, which is a remote suburb of DC IMO. This is local to me, and Chantilly VA is an odd place to locate a hedge fund. JMHO.

Yep, agree, especially since this martial arts studio had not even been started inside even though one of the housekeepers was spending most of her time over there according to posts above .. there is something dodge about this martial arts studio, I have a feeling the crime will be closely connected to it.

Yep, agree, especially since this martial arts studio had not even been started inside even though one of the housekeepers was spending most of her time over there according to posts above .. there is something dodge about this martial arts studio, I have a feeling the crime will be closely connected to it.

"Gutierrez said in the interview that Savvas Savopoulos had asked her to help at the studio on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, instead of at the couple’s home on Thursday."

"Gutierrez said in the interview that Savvas Savopoulos had asked her to help at the studio on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, instead of at the couple’s home on Thursday."

Who has their housekeeper help out at a construction site? Studio and the hedge fund are both off - maybe he was signing up investors and someone learned all was not as it seemed. Don't know, but my first thought when hearing about this crime and the family's life was that they were "hemoraging money," Bonfire of the Vanities style. It takes a lot of income to sustain that sort of lifestyle. Then again, one or both of them could have had family money.

Anyone familiar with firefighter protocol? Is it standard for firefighters to do CPR on fire victims regardless of their condition? A neighbor said she saw them performing CPR on a woman. Wondering if all got CPR or whether the woman was the last to be attacked and did they think there was still hope for her?

Who has their housekeeper help out at a construction site? Studio and the hedge fund are both off - maybe he was signing up investors and someone learned all was not as it seemed. Don't know, but my first thought when hearing about this crime and the family's life was that they were "hemoraging money," Bonfire of the Vanities style. It takes a lot of income to sustain that sort of lifestyle. Then again, one or both of them could have had family money.

In Washington DC lots of folks have "housekeepers" that more closely resemble personal assistants. And this sounds more like a "build out" of a commercial space than a construction site.

This is more common than you would think. The strip malls and industrial parks from Fairfax past Chantilly are riddled with all kinds of arbitrary small businesses. Lots of them are importers, due to the proximity to Dulles. If I had to guess, Savopoulous owned the property.

This looks more like a bucket than a bag to me...View attachment 74860

Sure looks like a bucket. Wouldn't it be easier to use a handle to carry it? Is it that heavy that he can't use the handle? Do SS have a pool? Did it have chlorine tablets in it initially? My first impression of this person is that he is young, perhaps because he ran so well. (Don't ask me how I know but as you age your running ability seems to dwindle.) So this person to me either was hired by a disgruntled business associate, use to work for SS and wanted to get even for some reason, or it was random.

In Washington DC lots of folks have "housekeepers" that more closely resemble personal assistants. And this sounds more like a "build out" of a commercial space than a construction site

Maybe, but I have had lots of housekeepers and other domestic assistance over the years, and I'm in DC. I have certainly had people working for my family function like an assistant at times, but I would absolutely hesitate to have any of them at a site where a build-out (which sounds like another term for construction, though perhaps less heavy duty than his iron works business) was going on, if only because of concern over potential injury. I am a lawyer, though, but IIRC, so was Mr. S.. JMHO.

Or there could have been another, say, illegitimate, source of income?

You could be right about the property ownership, that occurred to me as well. I see what you are saying about that area, but still, it was a hedge fund, not some sort of importer, so not sure why proximity to Dulles would be more advantageous than setting things up in DC.

Sure looks like a bucket. Wouldn't it be easier to use a handle to carry it? Is it that heavy that he can't use the handle? Do SS have a pool? Did it have chlorine tablets in it initially? My first impression of this person is that he is young, perhaps because he ran so well. (Don't ask me how I know but as you age your running ability seems to dwindle.) So this person to me either was hired by a disgruntled business associate, use to work for SS and wanted to get even for some reason, or it was random.

Yes, looks like a white bucket. I also think the person looks to be a young male. Slight bild. Very agile.

arts:

I have a question for those of you in the D.C. Area. What was the weather like on Thursday? It's very warm here in the South..someone wearing that hoodie would look very conspicuous.

Was it warm in D.C. On Thursday or would the perp have just blended in?

New Carrolton is an urban area. Someone wearing all black with a hood drawn would have been conspicuous but not suspicious. I saw a guy wearing a skull cap in that area yesterday. It was 85F.

Yes. Warm but a lot of people probably wore hoodies around DC that day. I do think it might have been suspicious in the neighborhood where the crime took place unless it was some sort of "uniform" hoody (landscaping crew, for instance) and in one of the reports it certainly sounded like people living around there paid a lot of attention to who was out and about in the neighborhood.

Well for all practical and tax purposes, the Sigma Fund was in St. Thomas. And, the building on Willard Road houses an American Ironworks office as well, so, I AM GUESSING that it was to be the site of the martial arts studio. I am also of the opinion that Savropoulos owns the building though I haven't verified that yet.

If the martial arts studio is in that building, I don't think it would require a lot of 'build'. The housekeeper could have been there acting as an agent for Savvas to oversee the final touches and the tidying up and final preprations for the opening. I doubt she was installing wallboard, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1