DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM ... I hope I'm wrong, but (IMO) the hooded person in the video appears built like a woman. The jacket looks like a woman's down jacket and the legs look more female to me than male.

Holding the family hostage (in theory), blunt force trauma, torching the house, driving to PG County, torching the Porsche, leaving on foot...my hunch is a male.

The only thing I can determine from the video of the person of interest is that the person seems to have a very long stride, is thin, and is likely tall.

Agreed on the thin part, not sure about the height. The lengthy stride might be because he was haulin' *advertiser censored*?

That's been my assumption from the beginning. Why engage in blunt force trauma when one has a knife that can inflict lethal wounds?

This is one of the reasons I am starting to think this is more of a prolonged home invasion. Someone that enters a home for the purpose of robbery (not necessarily for the intention of murder) might bring a knife for personal protection and intimidation. They might not really know how hard it is to kill someone with a 4 inch blade but if you use it in the right spot it can be very efficient. It reminds me of the Harvey family murder in Richmond. The perps repeated stabbed the father and mother in the neck but stated they switched to bashing their heads in with a claw hammer when the Harvey's kept getting up and "scaring" them. The 2 perps brutally murdered a family including 2 young children for some home electronics and music CDs.

As far as questions about how a single perp could control 3 adults with only a knife - imagine when he entered the home there was only the maid and child. He probably is not even aware of the child at first because the child is upstairs in his bedroom convalescing from injuries he got in the go-cart crash. He ties the maid up while questioning her about where valuables are kept and is told and/or discovers the child. Mom comes home and will do whatever the perp wants because he's threatening the child with a knife. The same for Dad. How terrifying this must've been for the family considering they were alive 15-18 hours or more after this all began.

Holding the family hostage (in theory), blunt force trauma, torching the house, driving to PG County, torching the Porsche, leaving on foot...my hunch is a male.

I think I missed the "blunt force trauma" comment. Just wondering, were all four people killed this way?

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I just went back and read that "Three of the four (they didn't release which three) were stabbed and/or bludgeoned to death." I'm wondering how the forth was killed. Does anyone think this could be a murder/suicide?

Thinking this through a bit further, the police should count their blessings -- to get to New Carrolton, MD from Northwest Washington DC would require driving across the District during rush hour. Slow traffic, good weather, plenty of surveillance/security cameras. Fingers crossed!

Exactly. And I am guessing (hoping) that the perp left the car in that location due to its proximity to the New Carrollton Metro station to take him the rest of the way home. There should be tons of cameras there but I have a sinking fear that WMATA will tell us that many of the cameras were not working.

The only thing I can determine from the video of the person of interest is that the person seems to have a very long stride, is thin, and is likely tall.

The video is very blurry, but the it looks like perp may have a ponytail (@ 00:16 sec mark I think). It could just be the blur though, difficult to see. Stabbing is very personal and since there are 4 victims my guess is there is more than one perp. Eta- if perp has hood (@ 00:09 mark) it looks two-toned gray hood and black shirt, and that could narrow down person (quick search found tone-toned sweatshirts at Teague Custom Marine, but other clothing lines may sell such types). Again, it could be blur/shadows, so hopefully LE has a way to zero in on some unique characteristics. Jmo/

I think I missed the "blunt force trauma" comment. Just wondering, were all four people killed this way?

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I just went back and read that "Three of the four (they didn't release which three) were stabbed and/or bludgeoned to death." I'm wondering how the forth was killed. Does anyone think this could be a murder/suicide?

While crews worked to tame the fire in that area, firefighters searched the house and found four victims on the second floor of the home, fire officials said.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/dc/2015/05/14/dc-fire-ems-woodland-drive/27312461/

“On at least three of the four victims, injuries were discovered that appear to be blunt force or sharp object injuries,” Chief Lanier said, adding that the injuries were discovered through the autopsy process which is not yet complete.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/14/dc-police-suspicious-house-fire-in-northwest-leave/

For someone that felt the need to torch the car presumably because of print/dna evidence they didn't seem to mind have the car out and about for about 4 hours before the torching. jmo idk

What happened to the report that the husband's sister talked to him Thursday morning? Haven't seen that reported since the first few articles

I don't think it could be murder/suicide if the Porche was found miles away, burned.

Oh this does not sound good or right at all does it .. I wonder what made him take on that project .. Personal interest? Trying to help set up a friend of associate in business? What's up with no work having been done inside yet? Could SS have been promised work was being done, and paying for it only to about to discover that all the money had disappeared and no work even started?

I don't think this probably has much to do with the crime but a couple of people have wondered about the marital art studio. It does seem to have been a long time personal interest of his. At this link it says Mr. Savapolous is a licensed instructor in 3 Japanese martial arts:

http://www.universityclubdc.com/default.aspx?p=ViewEventFlyer&ssid=94272&eventid=1734177

Some of the kids seem to have also been involved but I won't link things about them.

I'm thinking he's heading to get gasoline to torch the car. Instead of going to the adjacent Shell Station (which would require walking in front of a very busy CVS and a TD Bank), he could slide behind the strip mall and hit the Sunoco.

I'm 99.9% sure that gas stations won't allow you to fill a bucket with gasoline, you need to have a container designed for holding gas (generally with a spout and cap).

I'm 99.9% sure that gas stations won't allow you to fill a bucket with gasoline, you need to have a container designed for holding gas (generally with a spout and cap).

Maybe the container holds the weapons and gloves. :(

JMO

I'm wondering if Mr. Savopoulos was at work at American Iron Works on Wednesday or Thursday. If not, did he contact coworkers? I would think, as CEO, it would be highly unusual for him to unexpectedly not show up to work.
Also, since the little boy was not at school on Thursday, I'm wondering if either parent contacted the school to let them know he would be absent. And was he at school on Wednesday?

Exactly. And I am guessing (hoping) that the perp left the car in that location due to its proximity to the New Carrollton Metro station to take him the rest of the way home. There should be tons of cameras there but I have a sinking fear that WMATA will tell us that many of the cameras were not working.

If your roads and train stations are anything like ours he will have been captured on hundreds of cameras over the entire journey, police will be well busy putting together his entire trip as captured on CCTV.

That is interesting. since they have two housekeepers for the inside cleaning, I wonder if this guy was part of the outdoor crew the neighbor saw, maybe clean-up in the yard, etc.

Maybe they were doing some major cleaning in preparation for a graduation party, since one of the daughters is about to graduate from prep school.

Not with the burned up Porsche in Prince George's County.

MPD cameras are not much better. A friend of mine was a victim of a pedestrian hit and run -- MPD couldn't produce footage despite the camera being 10 feet from the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1