DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, locals are posting the scanner BOLO as saying the POI is a Black Male.

Of course, with David M., a DC lawyer, earlier murdered, the gender was questionable from the video, and many people questioned whether the perp was a male or a female.

Turns out, it was a she. She also stabbed DM multiple times before stealing some $$ from him. All of this, however, was via Craigslist and happened in a hotel, so YMMV.

When I first saw the video I thought it was a black man. I didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong. So was this a killing and a robbery? I guess they will need to figure out what was stolen before they can say that. What a sad sad tragedy.

It appears that the fire at the house was reported at 1:15. The car was discovered in MD at 5pm.

ETA:

Watching local news now:

Bloodhounds have been employed. They are reporting it was a man. Police believe more there is more than one suspect. They had knowledge of family. Tied them up, held them hostage before killing. No sign of forced entry. They likely they knew the comings & goings of family. The crime likely started Wednesday afternoon.

from live report by Pat Collins, Channel 4 NBC/WRC Washington.

Wonder what they are using to tip the bloodhounds. Something must have been left behind in the fire?

The rest largely comforms to what the group has been thinking. Tied up, held hostage, had knowledge of the family.

I'm thinking SS work associates or friends of the housekeepers.

Omg I just listened to the voicemail that kid scream will haunt me seriously that sounds like a terrorized child, fwiw I don't think the kid is saying something it sounds like a scream. Also I don't think SS sounds natural, it's like he's reading from a script. Maybe the perp asked if someone was supposed to come to the house and SS or Amy had the quick thought to say yes the other housekeeper, hoping that the voice mail or text would ring her alarm bells. That being said after watching her saying she was saved by God, she doesn't sounds hinky she just sounds like someone who was put in the spotlight suddenly.
I think that perp is also not the brightest bulb, allowing himself to be caught on camera, seriously?! As someone mentioned the possibility that the perp went into the metro, well if he /her did, LE is surely having a field trip with a lot of surveillance footage. OT but I work at a surveillance facility with cameras from 80 different places in my little European country, I can't imagine someone in America being able to go somewhere and not being caught on tape especially in the metro. I think this perp will be found really soon, just MOO as always.

It appears that the fire at the house was reported at 1:15. The car was discovered in MD at 5pm.

ETA:

Watching local news now:

Bloodhounds have been employed. They are reporting it was a man. Police believe more there is more than one suspect. They had knowledge of family. Tied them up, held them hostage before killing. No sign of forced entry. They likely they knew the comings & goings of family. The crime likely started Wednesday afternoon.

from live report by Pat Collins, Channel 4 NBC/WRC Washington.

Yeah, we figured out that much on WS already. ;)

This tragedy makes me sick. The thing is they probably would have given these POI everything to spare their lives and then to kill a 10 year old child. Unbelievable.............

This tragedy makes me sick. The thing is they probably would have given these POI everything to spare their lives and then to kill a 10 year old child. Unbelievable.............

So true! Completely senseless violence.

I'm still stuck on why it's so important to cancel HER, but it's okay to allow a group of able-bodied men (lawn crew) to be outside the house for a lengthy period while the perp is holding hostages inside?????

Remember, they weren't really cancelling her. She wasn't NOT supposed to work for them that day. SS had reworked her schedule for the week. She was off cleaning another house on Thursday. SS's calls to her were more him trying to save his family and cause her to be alarmed. He was canceling work that she wasn't even scheduled for.

Two strong possibilities:
a) SS lied to the perps saying "My maid is going to show up tomorrow. I need to call and cancel or she'll show up."
b) Perps KNEW the regular maid schedule and did not know that SS had reworked her schedule for the week so they demanded him to call and cancel her. SS saw this as an opportunity to make an outside phone call and took advantage.

Yeah, we figured out that much on WS already. ;)
I thank gigi for posting this from the live news. Even if we think we had something figured out, it is nice to hear what the local news has the scoop on.

They will catch this/these and he/they will spend eternity in solitary.

Let's fill in the timeline. Please make corrections and add to this:

Wednesday Day:
SS and NG at martial arts studio.
SS told NG verbally in person that Amy was going out for the evening.
Porsche was driven

Wednesday Night:
SS left voicemail for NG that household was sick - don't come to home on Thurs (she wasn't planning to, as previously arranged).
SS left voicemail for NG that housekeeper #1 was spending the night and to call housekeeper #1's husband because her phone was dead.
Housekeeper #1 spent the night

Thursday Morning
SS's phone call with sister - sounded fine
AG receives text from Amy's phone not to come to work
AG calls Amy with no reply
Lawn crew working in yard
Dogs in yard
Boy didn't go to school
Housekeeper's husband knocks on door, no answer
SS's assistant drops off package at door

Thursday afternoon
Flames seen at house
Firefighters arrive at 1:15
Car is found 17 miles away on fire at (what time?)
POI is on camera running with bucket

Friday
Scheduled opening for martial arts studio

BBM: This is the proverbial turning point. Everything after this is jumbled, stressed and catastrophic.

Live in NW DC and pass that area several times a week. Much of that neighborhood is filled of speed cameras and traffic enforcement cameras that have very high resolutions and are able to detect quite a bit of information. I would imagine the DC MPD is already onto this, but I would be very surprised if they didn't have more information than they are letting on about the timing of this crime and the perpetrator himself. This neighborhood is surrounded by the VP's residence and other embassies so it's not exactly easy to go unnoticed.

Are they...just...beeping out the name or beeping out what the child is saying?

The second maid could have information and be afraid, but not "involved." I would certainly be terrified for myself and my family after three people I knew and a child were murdered.

I am curious and suspicious about details of her story but certainly not convinced of her involvement.

I'm still stuck on why it's so important to cancel HER, but it's okay to allow a group of able-bodied men (lawn crew) to be outside the house for a lengthy period while the perp is holding hostages inside?????

BBM: Maybe it wasn't 'OK' but they showed up and since they were outdoors making a lot of noise (mowers, trimmers and the like) they weren't interfered with. SHE would have entered the house - and so was told to stay away. And for the previous post about the dogs- the dogs were exactly where the perps wanted them- OUTSIDE.

They most likely complied fully with the perps orders and still got killed over it. It is outrageous and upsetting.

I really think this sort of thing is happening more frequently these days. Many years ago it was understood for the most part that if you just did what a robber told you to do, then you most likely at least come out with your life minus purse or wallet.

In today's world, that is no longer true. We have seen multiple horrible examples of this sort of thing.

Same is true for burglars robbing homes while you are at home. They dont even care anymore if you are home and will break into your house while you are present or sleeping. That sort of thing seems to be much more common than years ago.

I seem to recall when I grew up that it was very rare a burglar would break in and rob unless they first knew you were not home. Not anymore. It is scary times and sad times.
JMO of course

They most likely complied fully with the perps orders and still got killed over it. It is outrageous and upsetting.

I really think this sort of thing is happening more frequently these days. Many years ago it was understood for the most part that if you just did what a robber told you to do, then you most likely at least come out with your life minus purse or wallet.

In today's world, that is no longer true. We have seen multiple horrible examples of this sort of thing.

Same is true for burglars robbing homes while you are at home. They dont even care anymore if you are home and will break into your house while you are present or sleeping. That sort of thing seems to be much more common than years ago.

I seem to recall when I grew up that it was very rare a burglar would break in and rob unless they first knew you were not home. Not anymore. It is scary times and sad times.
JMO of course

I don't think anyone believes this was an arbitrary home invasion. This had a personal dimension to it.

Wild stab in the dark here, but if this is part of a gang (with a gang member somehow connected to the household staff who would have familiarity with the family, home, and schedule), would the murder give the perps some sort of respect within the gang? It's one thing to score big financially in a robbery, but is it an even bigger accomplishment to kill some rich people in the process? (I think the murder of the housekeeper was not planned or intended, but became necessary on the spot in the perp's mind.)

I have no idea, just trying to figure out why the perps would kill this family who seems to have no enemies and would likely comply with any robbery demands in order to save their lives.

JMO.

i
Do you have a MSM link for this bolded information? Or - where did you hear it or see this former detective?
The report I have seen regarding where the deceased housekeeper lived, says she lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Which is not particularly close to New Carollton on my Google map.

My sleuthing revealed that VF is registered as living with two other men and another woman in Silver Spring.

I don't think that sounds "defensive" at all and is one of the most common responses people have when they are surrounded by others who have died while they themselves have not. It's called survivors guilt. I feel sorry for this poor woman I am sure she was quite attached to them having worked for them for so long.

I agree, I feel sorry for her too, and feel like we are likely picking apart her statements because she's all we got, if his co-workers or people from the martial arts studio were speaking people would probably find suspicious phrases in their statements too. I very much doubt this maid was involved, this was a not a planned crime IMO.

Plus, if the maid wanted to steal a whole lot of stuff she'd have been able to do it on the sly, not send someone in, kill everybody, escape in the husbands car because there was no other option (not even a bike) just steal a bit of money, then escape using mass transit (most likely) after being picked up on about 100 CCTV cameras.

Live in NW DC and pass that area several times a week. Much of that neighborhood is filled of speed cameras and traffic enforcement cameras that have very high resolutions and are able to detect quite a bit of information. I would imagine the DC MPD is already onto this, but I would be very surprised if they didn't have more information than they are letting on about the timing of this crime and the perpetrator himself. This neighborhood is surrounded by the VP's residence and other embassies so it's not exactly easy to go unnoticed.

I absolutely agree. There are very few places with as many cameras in use. I would be very surprised if this crime isn't solved in the next few days.

Wild stab in the dark here, but if this is part of a gang (with a gang member somehow connected to the household staff who would have familiarity with the family, home, and schedule), would the murder give the perps some sort of respect within the gang? It's one thing to score big financially in a robbery, but is it an even bigger accomplishment to kill some rich people in the process? (I think the murder of the housekeeper was not planned or intended, but became necessary on the spot in the perp's mind.)

I have no idea, just trying to figure out why the perps would kill this family who seems to have no enemies and would likely comply with any robbery demands in order to save their lives.

JMO.

I have heard that random murder (of strangers) is a rite of passage with the MS-13 gang. There have been court cases and some have been convicted for such acts, but I can't verify that it is, indeed, a rite of passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jameshoots