DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild stab in the dark here, but if this is part of a gang (with a gang member somehow connected to the household staff who would have familiarity with the family, home, and schedule), would the murder give the perps some sort of respect within the gang? It's one thing to score big financially in a robbery, but is it an even bigger accomplishment to kill some rich people in the process? (I think the murder of the housekeeper was not planned or intended, but became necessary on the spot in the perp's mind.)

I have no idea, just trying to figure out why the perps would kill this family who seems to have no enemies and would likely comply with any robbery demands in order to save their lives.

JMO.

Nah, not in my world. Gangland murders are about territoriality, rivalries. Even initiation murders are against random victims, not a family with hostages.

I haven't ruled out a Latin criminal element though. New Carrolton is heavily Latino. I've seen gang graffiti around the Metro.

Back to the landscaping crew...remember the guy who said his brother was on the crew and he hadn't been able to get in touch with him so he sat outside SS's house all day? It would be helpful to have a description of his brother.

I'm thinking give some people enough rope and they will hang themselves, she is saying a lot imo. Not hearing a lot from anyone else.

I was pondering on how different the two housekeepers look and wondered how close the 2nd housekeeper was to the 1st housekeeper's husband..........

Let's fill in the timeline. Please make corrections and add to this:

Wednesday Day:
SS and NG at martial arts studio.
SS told NG verbally in person that Amy was going out for the evening.
Porsche was driven

Wednesday Night:
SS left voicemail for NG that household was sick - don't come to home on Thurs (she wasn't planning to, as previously arranged).
SS left voicemail for NG that housekeeper #1 was spending the night and to call housekeeper #1's husband because her phone was dead.
Housekeeper #1 spent the night

Thursday Morning
SS's phone call with sister - sounded fine
AG receives text from Amy's phone not to come to work
AG calls Amy with no reply
Lawn crew working in yard
Dogs in yard
Boy didn't go to school
Housekeeper's husband knocks on door, no answer
SS's assistant drops off package at door

Thursday afternoon
Flames seen at house
Firefighters arrive at 1:15
Car is found 17 miles away on fire at (what time?)
POI is on camera running with bucket

Friday
Scheduled opening for martial arts studio

Thanks for the timeline. The one piece that stands out for me is the text to AG from Amy's phone. It makes no sense. If it were from SS or AS being held hostage, it would have been a clearer request for help similar to what Jennifer Hawke-Petit conveyed to the bank teller. If the killer was a stranger, he wouldn't have known AG's work schedule or if he did know it, he would make sure he was finished before her arrival. For that reason, I think the possibility this was a murder/suicide remains open. The POI may have been hired to move the car and give the appearance of a homicide in order to facilitate payment of life insurance to the surviving daughters.

I don't know why SS would accept a new position in Puerto Rico and still open a new martial arts studio in D.C. That piece also makes no sense.

JMO

I live a few blocks away so have been following closely and wanted to share something I saw on the local news early that day but have not seen anywhere else online. At least one of the local stations talked to who a guy who said his brother was with a cleaning crew that was scheduled to be there that day, but that he hadn't been able to get in touch with his brother all day. I thought this was particularly interesting.

I'm wondering if the cleaning crew was scheduled to be at the martial arts studio on Thursday as opposed to the family home.

In regards to the lawn crew, most wealthy people use established firms with workers on staff, like whenever I've seen 'lawn crew' at wealthy people's homes they're like middle class guys doing lawn duties, usually in uniform or company t shirts. It's not like just casual workers come in and do lawn work in wealthy suburbs ..

I have heard that random murder (of strangers) is a rite of passage with the MS-13 gang. There have been court cases and some have been convicted for such acts, but I can't verify that it is, indeed, a rite of passage.

Im not sure about that particular gang but we have gangs in a big city close to where I live and I can almost guarantee that the members of the gang shoot people at random for clout in the gang.

The reason I know this is I hear it on the news all the time how there is a random drive by shooting and some victims guaranteed had no affiliation with other gangs. Some victims are older people and just driving through and were random targets.

We can only conclude the gang members are doing it to gain clout in their gang.
Which is horrible and incredible to me. Its gotten so bad that I avoid driving after dark to that city and especially in the area where the drive by shootings are more frequent.

It really is like they are shooting and killing for "points". Its insanity and really upsets me because it limits peoples freedom to move about their own city.

They usually are shooting from 1 vehicle into another random vehicle but we have had numerous incidents where elerly person was just sitting on their front porch and got shot from a passing car.

I wish more could be done in LE gang units but I know it must be a tough job to infiltrate the gangs and try to stop some of the senseless murders.
Its bad enough when they shoot each other but when they shoot innocent random victims it really is upsetting.

For this particular case, I do think it was a perp who knew someone working for that couple. The Perp(s) may not have involved the worker directly but they developed their target family through the worker IMO.

They may have even forced or demanded information from the worker about the couple.

Killing the other maid and the child shows the perp(s) had no remorse or value on human life.
I do agree its possible MS-13 was involved as they are known to be ruthless like that.

Thanks for the timeline. The one piece that stands out for me is the text to AG from Amy's phone. It makes no sense. If it were from SS or AS being held hostage, it would have been a clearer request for help similar to what Jennifer Hawke-Petit conveyed to the bank teller. If the killer was a stranger, he wouldn't have known AG's work schedule or if he did know it, he would make sure he was finished before her arrival. For that reason, I think the possibility this was a murder/suicide remains open. The POI may have been hired to move the car and give the appearance of a homicide in order to facilitate payment of life insurance to the surviving daughters.

I don't know why SS would accept a new position in Puerto Rico and still open a new martial arts studio in D.C. That piece also makes no sense.

JMO

Murder suicide is completely off the table. Father was killed with blunt force trauma, I really doubt he beat himself up to death.

In regards to the lawn crew, most wealthy people use established firms with workers on staff, like whenever I've seen 'lawn crew' at wealthy people's homes they're like middle class guys doing lawn duties, usually in uniform or company t shirts. It's not like just casual workers come in and do lawn work in wealthy suburbs ..

Yes, but... In the DC area, I'd say that upwards of 90% of landscaping employees are from El Salvador, many of whom are illegal aliens.

Again, I don't say that to cast aspersions on anyone. It's just a fact around here.

And yes, they do usually wear t-shirts or some other apparel which identifies the company for which they work.

Remember, they weren't really cancelling her. She wasn't NOT supposed to work for them that day. SS had reworked her schedule for the week. She was off cleaning another house on Thursday. SS's calls to her were more him trying to save his family and cause her to be alarmed. He was canceling work that she wasn't even scheduled for.

Two strong possibilities:
a) SS lied to the perps saying "My maid is going to show up tomorrow. I need to call and cancel or she'll show up."
b) Perps KNEW the regular maid schedule and did not know that SS had reworked her schedule for the week so they demanded him to call and cancel her. SS saw this as an opportunity to make an outside phone call and took advantage.

I am not convinced maid wasn't scheduled to show up on Thursday. In interview with her, she thanks God she got the message to not show up. Seems kind of strange if she already was scheduled to not show up.

Back to the landscaping crew...remember the guy who said his brother was on the crew and he hadn't been able to get in touch with him so he sat outside SS's house all day? It would be helpful to have a description of his brother.

BINGO. This could very well be one of the POI. I was suspicious of the lawn crew right in the beginning. We had a lawn crew once. They were all Hispanic and aside from the older guy who ran it, the other ones could have been different every week as far a I know.

Murder suicide is completely off the table. Father was killed with blunt force trauma, I really doubt he beat himself up to death.

So a father is the only parent capable of murder/suicide? Not the housekeeper who would soon be out of a job because the father took a job in Puerto Rico? Not the mother who may have not wanted to go to Puerto Rico?

JMO

Housekeeper? Seriously? An elderly woman you think would be capable of beating up a healthy adult male?

I am not convinced maid wasn't scheduled to show up on Thursday. In interview with her, she thanks God she got the message to not show up. Seems kind of strange if she already was scheduled to not show up.

She was scheduled that week to work 3 days at the martial arts studio in preparation of an opening. That was a schedule change and part of the change was that she was not working for the family on Thursday. This is posted in news article links up-thread.

How do you know that the dad was one of the three with visible injuries?

Yes, but... In the DC area, I'd say that upwards of 90% of landscaping employees ares from El Salvador, many of whom are illegal aliens.

Again, I don't say that to cast aspersions on anyone. It's just a fact around here.

And yes, they do usually wear t-shirts or some other apparel which identifies the company for which they work.

Would they be unsupervised? Would it be possible for one to break away from the group?

I'm actually in shock at this .. I assumed the illegal alien type lawn crews over there were only for lower class clients, seems like a major security risk to me, especially in Washington DC!!

Im not sure about that particular gang but we have gangs in a big city close to where I live and I can almost guarantee that the members of the gang shoot people at random for clout in the gang.

The reason I know this is I hear it on the news all the time how there is a random drive by shooting and some victims guaranteed had no affiliation with other gangs. Some victims are older people and just driving through and were random targets.

We can only conclude the gang members are doing it to gain clout in their gang.
Which is horrible and incredible to me. Its gotten so bad that I avoid driving after dark to that city and especially in the area where the drive by shootings are more frequent.

It really is like they are shooting and killing for "points". Its insanity and really upsets me because it limits peoples freedom to move about their own city.

They usually are shooting from 1 vehicle into another random vehicle but we have had numerous incidents where elerly person was just sitting on their front porch and got shot from a passing car.

I wish more could be done in LE gang units but I know it must be a tough job to infiltrate the gangs and try to stop some of the senseless murders.
Its bad enough when they shoot each other but when they shoot innocent random victims it really is upsetting.

For this particular case, I do think it was a perp who knew someone working for that couple. The Perp(s) may not have involved the worker directly but they developed their target family through the worker IMO.

They may have even forced or demanded information from the worker about the couple.

Killing the other maid and the child shows the perp(s) had no remorse or value on human life.
I do agree its possible MS-13 was involved as they are known to be ruthless like that.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions. It's just that I was struck by the El Salvador connection, and the fact that MS-13 is not only prevalent in the area where the car was found, but also notorious for violent--and often senseless--acts of aggression.

So a father is the only parent capable of murder/suicide? Not the housekeeper who would soon be out of a job because the father took a job in Puerto Rico? Not the mother who may have not wanted to go to Puerto Rico?

JMO

I think it's safe to say the mother is not a suspect, since it's very unlikely she drove the car to a car park and torched it then got herself home only to die in a firey inferno .. Also there is video of the housekeeper and she is not the physical shape of the person seen in CCTV footage running with the bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jameshoots