DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Four deaths in D.C. house fire considered homicides

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36d0aa-fb24-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

"When Debra Masser spoke to her brother Savvas Savopoulos by phone Thursday morning, the chief executive and father of a prominent local family seemed to be untroubled and in good spirits.

But hours later, Savopoulos, his wife and a boy authorities believe is their young son were found dead by firefighters who battled a blaze at their Northwest D.C. home."

"Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the fire at their stately home on Woodland Drive was intentionally set, three of the four victims inside had wounds, and the family’s Porsche 911 was found torched in a church parking lot in Hyattsville."

"Lanier renewed a call she originally made Thursday for information about the movements of the family’s blue 2008 Porsche 911, which disappeared from the home Thursday morning.

She asked the public to contact authorities if anyone had seen it between Wednesday and Thursday at 5 p.m. — a larger time frame than authorities had initially requested. Lanier declined to explain why investigators now wanted to know the car’s movements a day earlier.

The Porsche was found burning in Prince George’s County on Thursday evening, Lanier said. Prince George’s County Fire spokesman Mark Brady said firefighters extinguished the fire around 5:30 p.m. behind a church at 8201 Annapolis Rd. in Lanham. Lanier said it was unclear who had been driving the vehicle.​

More...

I'm trying to put a timeline together. The 10 year old would have had school yesterday, right? So I am wondering if Savvas's sister called before he would have been taken to school or picked up by a bus. If everything was ok at that point then did something go wrong just after the phone call and before the boy would have left for school? But if the car was stolen earlier then I am at a loss.

With the car and the business both in Hyattsville MD, it could be related to the business.....or someone wants it to look that way. I'm wondering if there is any evidence of theft or s/a on the Mrs? With the text that was sent, I almost wonder if the perp had everyone restrained, perhaps to coerce info, and they pleaded to keep the 2nd housekeeper away?

So all 4 are homicides and whoever it was needed a car to leave with? As well as knowing to text the housekeeper? If Amy had used the phone herself she could have easily found a way to also alert so I don't think it was her.

Four deaths in D.C. house fire considered homicides

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36d0aa-fb24-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html
"When Debra Masser spoke to her brother Savvas Savopoulos by phone Thursday morning, the chief executive and father of a prominent local family seemed to be untroubled and in good spirits.

But hours later, Savopoulos, his wife and a boy authorities believe is their young son were found dead by firefighters who battled a blaze at their Northwest D.C. home."

"Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the fire at their stately home on Woodland Drive was intentionally set, three of the four victims inside had wounds, and the family’s Porsche 911 was found torched in a church parking lot in Hyattsville."

"Lanier renewed a call she originally made Thursday for information about the movements of the family’s blue 2008 Porsche 911, which disappeared from the home Thursday morning.

She asked the public to contact authorities if anyone had seen it between Wednesday and Thursday at 5 p.m. — a larger time frame than authorities had initially requested. Lanier declined to explain why investigators now wanted to know the car’s movements a day earlier.

The Porsche was found burning in Prince George’s County on Thursday evening, Lanier said. Prince George’s County Fire spokesman Mark Brady said firefighters extinguished the fire around 5:30 p.m. behind a church at 8201 Annapolis Rd. in Lanham. Lanier said it was unclear who had been driving the vehicle.​

More...
I had been thinking that the fact one victim died in a different manner than the other 3 does open up the possibility of a murder-suicide, a place a hate to go but it's just speculation. The one drawback with that hypothesis is why abandon the vehicle if the perp needed to get back to the house to set the fire. There are ways one of the adults could have returned home -- train, taxi, business colleague. Still, it doesn't make sense to abandon the vehicle. And now, we learn that it was not only abandoned, it was torched. Sounds like someone was very angry at this family, Amy in particular if the Porsche in fact was her vehicle. Was any of their domestic help discharged that morning, I wonder?

Could be that the killer was inside the house while the gardeners were working in the yard and asked the family if anyone else had plans to be at the house and so "he" had one of the family text the second housekeeper. This is a very disturbing case. That poor family!

I think home and car torched to destroy evidence, whoever it is is either very close or their fingerprints are on file .. Or both.

Maybe perp arrived by train / bus and drove car to public transport far away so as not to be obvious. CCTV will surely give them up unless they were collected by a 'friend'.

So all 4 are homicides and whoever it was needed a car to leave with? As well as knowing to text the housekeeper? If Amy had used the phone herself she could have easily found a way to also alert so I don't think it was her.
I had thought of that -- Amy having opportunity to alert for help if she had access to her phone. But, maybe the situation, whatever it was, hadn't reached that intensity yet; maybe she just didn't want any more staff there witnessing a heated dispute.

JMO

Did you read the comments in that article?

Mention of a text from the mothers phone to a second housekeeper telling her not to come to the house the morning of the tragedy as the family was sick, assume that was the perpetrator using her phone, so I assume whatever occurred happened overnight or in the early hours of the morning before the house was set alight, do we know what time the car was driven away and abandoned?

This could either be a robbery, but more likely personal. If the car was driven off and abandoned before the fire the perpetrator could have returned to the house and be amongst the dead, if it was around the same time or afterwards then it's not a murder-suicide but something even more sinister. Very sad.

I'm thinking one of these ...

• Housekeeper who was found dead at the scene had a disgruntled lover
  • Murder / Suicide by one of the occupants
  • Robbery with fire lit to hide evidence like fingerprints etc.

It reminds me somewhat of the Petit murders.

Home invasions have gone way up in recent years and even very wealthy homeowners are being targeted.

IMO

Home invasions have gone way up in recent years and even very wealthy homeowners are being targeted.

IMO

That's where my head is at right now too. Perp likely asked if anyone was due at the house and made Amy send the text while under duress.

IMO

I've been wondering about that. The call to the housekeeper is the main thing that has me thinking it's somebody closer to the family. That and the fact that home invasions are rare in this area. There was a well-to-do couple found murdered in their home last weekend in Rockville which isn't too far away that is sounding like it was a robbery scenario.

Something interesting I noticed from your link, Plume: At the bottom of the article there is a link that reads, "Three Dead, One Critical at Home in Woodley Park | NBC4 Washington".

When I click on the link to that article, though, the headline reads, "Four Found Dead in Woodley Park Home After 'Suspicious' Fire" and the URL is http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Woodley-Park-Bodies-Fire-Death-303794761.html

I wonder if one of the victims survived for a short time after rescue teams arrived. A neighbor did say he saw 3 people taken from the house on stretchers. Maybe one person was still alive and taken separately, to a hospital. I this is the case, I hope the person was able to relate some info on who did this before succumbing to his/her injuries.

What time was the call made to the second housekeeper? I'd like to know more about that.

Something interesting I noticed from your link, Plume: At the bottom of the article there is a link that reads, "Three Dead, One Critical at Home in Woodley Park | NBC4 Washington".

When I click on the link to that article, though, the headline reads, "Four Found Dead in Woodley Park Home After 'Suspicious' Fire" and the URL is http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Woodley-Park-Bodies-Fire-Death-303794761.html

I wonder if one of the victims survived for a short time after rescue teams arrived. A neighbor did say he saw 3 people taken from the house on stretchers. Maybe one person was still alive and taken separately, to a hospital. I this is the case, I hope the person was able to relate some info on who did this before succumbing to his/her injuries.

Wow! Good catch! I didn't even notice that!

New link.
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...-were-homicide-victims-police-say-114003.html

Video shows picture of the cute little boy. :( Looks just like his dad.
They talk to the housekeeper that got the text. There is a screenshot of the text but since I don't know how to put it here I will quote it.

Yesterday, 9:56am

"I am making sure you do not come today. If you could come from or Monday that would be great.

"Hi, Amy. I don't have any plans to go over there today. Monday...." (and that is all I can see)

So it appears the surviving housekeeper was not scheduled to work on Thursday which makes me think Amy was reaching out for help and hoping the text would raise red flags with the housekeeper. The text was at 9:56am so if Amy sent the text then they were most likely killed before the car left at 10:30am.

http://www.bostonnewstime.com/regio...murdered-before-the-house-was-set-alight.html

Pictures of the girls. So sad!

Comment chatter under Post article I linked above suggests Porsche found not far
from iron works business the deceased man ran -- both locations in Hyattsville MD.

Maybe something, maybe not.

That text to the maid: "I am making sure you do not come...."

Hm.

Waiting for news on family members living away from home.

Home invasions are usually simpler than this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz