DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm baffled by what you mean here. I don't think undocumented workers are a higher risk for anything other than having their labor exploited.

Yes agree that would be the main issue .. A reputable firm would surely use legal workers so all taxes and insurance was paid for the workers, and from the clients perspective you would hope everyone had paperwork etc .. Otherwise it seems to be a security risk for everybody.

Perp's face isn't pixeled. His back is to the camera and he is wearing a hoodie.

It seemed to have been blurred purposefully from what I saw.

I think others here have mentioned that as well.

JMO

If honest labor were the requirement for citizenship, undocumented workers would be proud citizens immediately.

Well, how can I put this politely...

It seems to be something that people turn a blind eye to. Reputable landscaping companies do have supervisors who are onsite, but mostly just initially. After that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the crews that show up to homes of wealthy clients were 100% illegal aliens (mostly from El Salvador). I have seen so many instances of this that there must be some huge loopholes that allow them to get away with it.

That said, and although their grasp of English is minimal, the vast majority of those workers are good people! They are nice, honest, friendly, indefatigable, hardworking folks. I respect them as people.

I can't imagine as a homeowner being happy with that, if I'm paying good money I want to know that things are above board including workers rights being taken care of, any company using illegals is probably underpaying them and probably not fully insured.

Fox5 said he has a hoodie on and when they try to slow down the video to get a better shot it pixelates.

Thank you. I knew it was pixelated when I saw it.

Hopefully the video footage has been sent to the FBI who is great at this sort of thing.

It seemed to have been blurred purposefully from what I saw.

I think others here have mentioned that as well.

JMO

His face is never to the camera. The only thing blurred is the back of his hoodie.

I don't understand the references in this thread to Hispanic and Latin lawn maintenance workers. Of what relevance is national origin?

Or why MS-13 is considered to be involved, simply b/c the housekeeper is from El Salvador? If she was American, would be speculate that the Aryan Brotherhood was involved?

Good question! And, actually I have no idea! I read it many pages back... earlier in the thread. Anyone else have a link??

I FOUND IT!!

"Also Thursday morning, one of Savopoulos’s assistants apparently left a package outside the Woodland Drive house, according to the police records. That person then drove to Chantilly and was there through the day"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

Wow. Thanks. I had not read all that detail till now.

This article give the info about the vacuum cleaner salesman. That kind of sounds like a ruse for a burglar to me. This could have been a random perp IMO.

"an aggressive vacuum cleaner salesman at another house,"

ETA...someone kindly pointed out that vacuum salesman do still exist these days which surprised me.

The messages he left make no sense so I am surprised the perp let him say some of the things he said. Its possible the perp realized he was saying wrong things to try to give hints to the other maid. The other maid says she did realize things didnt sound right.
What is not clear is when she realized it. It may not have been till after news of the fire.

Here are things that stand out that dont make sense in his message. These could be him trying to give a sign to NG. I agree that could be the case. Especially about being sick all day.

-Even if the victim maid's phone had no battery left, then why didn't he just let her use his phone to call home. He was leaving a voice mail to the NG maid so he could have easily let the victim maid use his phone to call her home to let them know she was spending night.

-How did he know that NG maid would know the number to contact the other maid? Were they that close that he knew she knew the other maid's home phone number?

-The part about being sick all day when he knew NG would know she wasnt sick that day becuse she was there on wed.

"Savvas Savopoulos also let her know in a Wednesday night voicemail that the housekeeper who was later found dead had planned to stay overnight at the family’s home and asked that she inform the woman’s family because her cellphone battery had died. "

"She said Savvas Savopoulos told her in person Wednesday that his wife had plans to go out, but said in the voice mail left that night that Amy Savopoulos had been sick in bed all day."

Strange things seem to be happening in that neighborhood. A man banging on a door and a prowler in the neighborhood is scary. I feel it may have been the POI sizing up their home.:( I wish the police had captured the prowler. One thing about it the neighbors were mindful of those who didn't seem to belong in their neighborhood. Hopefully they have more neighbors that saw things. They do have one that spotted their car right? I wonder if they described what the person was wearing and it lines up with the POI? Sometimes only half of what a witness saw or heard will be released. LE will keep the rest of it a secret.

I think the reason they are not releasing which victims specifically died from what is because that is something only the killer would know.

IMO

Same thing was happening in our neighborhood which is primarily older historical homes with many elderly owners. We were getting an influx of door to door salesmen who wanted to come in the house to show off their miracle cleaning spray or vacuums, etc. In a couple of cases they asked to use the bathroom and then helped themselves to a few items. Others were robbed a day or so later. In our case when they came to the door our 3 dogs barked like crazy and that seems to be a very good deterrent. I am thinking something like that may have been happening in their neighborhood.

Investigators believe it's likely that the killers gained access to the home Wednesday and kept the victims bound and threatened through Thursday afternoon, when Savvas Savopoulos gave them what they were looking for, sources said.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html

I wonder what that was?

I would think it had to be cash/jewelry in the home hidden away in a safe perhaps? It was reported that money is missing, iirc.

ATM or credit card information?

Now it sure sounds more and more like the Petit murders to me. So LE seems to know for sure that Savvas was alive Thursday afternoon when he gave them what they wanted. Did they make him drive to the bank himself?

I think there is so much we don't know about this case but LE does and they just aren't releasing it.

IMO

This is not directed at anyone in particular, and maybe the heat is getting to me today, but I tend to read the thread before I comment or ask a question. I definately read media links before commenting.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I find it annoying trying to stay on top of a topic when the same questions are raised again and again. When they've already been answered and commented on.

Wow. Thanks. I had not read all that detail till now.

This article give the info about the vacuum cleaner salesman. Nobody goes door-to-door selling vacuum cleaners anymore. That sounds like a ruse for a burglar to me. This could have been a random perp IMO.

"an aggressive vacuum cleaner salesman at another house,"

The messages he left make no sense so I am surprised the perp let him say some of the things he said. Its possible the perp realized he was saying wrong things to try to give hints to the other maid. The other maid says she did realize things didnt sound right.
What is not clear is when she realized it. It may not have been till after news of the fire.

Here are things that stand out that dont make sense in his message. These could be him trying to give a sign to NG. I agree that could be the case. Especially about being sick all day.

-Even if the victim maid's phone had no battery left, then why didn't he just let her use his phone to call home. He was leaving a voice mail to the NG maid so he could have easily let the victim maid use his phone to call her home to let them know she was spending night.

-How did he know that NG maid would know the number to contact the other maid? Were they that close that he knew she knew the other maid's home phone number?

-The part about being sick all day when he knew NG would know she wasnt sick that day becuse she was there on wed.

"Savvas Savopoulos also let her know in a Wednesday night voicemail that the housekeeper who was later found dead had planned to stay overnight at the family’s home and asked that she inform the woman’s family because her cellphone battery had died. "

"She said Savvas Savopoulos told her in person Wednesday that his wife had plans to go out, but said in the voice mail left that night that Amy Savopoulos had been sick in bed all day."

And if the Savopoulos had a landline she could have easily called to let her husband know she was spending the night. I think the housekeeper was killed first to let the family know they/he meant business and she was dead at the time SS left the voice mail.

Actually, there still are door to door vacuum cleaner salesmen. I bought my Kirby from one in 2008, and in a different city a few years later, maybe 2011?, I had another Kirby salesman come to the door.

And, yes, they are pretty aggressive.

Wow again. LOL

I stand corrected. I had no idea. Thanks.

And if the Savopoulos had a landline she could have easily called to let her husband know she was spending the night. I think the housekeeper was killed first to let the family know they/he meant business and she was dead at the time SS left the voice mail.

Or the perp couldn't let her talk to her husband because he wouldn't know what she was going to say (language barrier).
So apparently husband didn't do anything when she didn't show up?
Except coming to the house the next morning?
Where did he think his wife was?

I would think it had to be cash/jewelry in the home hidden away in a safe perhaps? It was reported that money is missing, iirc.

ATM or credit card information?

Now it sure sounds more and more like the Petit murders to me. So LE seems to know for sure that Savvas was alive Thursday afternoon when he gave them what they wanted. Did they make him drive to the bank himself?

I think there is so much we don't know about this case but LE does and they just aren't releasing it.

IMO

Must have been the morning as the fire brigade arrived about 1.30pm and he was in there then.

Or why MS-13 is considered to be involved, simply b/c the housekeeper is from El Salvador? If she was American, would be speculate that the Aryan Brotherhood was involved?

Because that's what you do when looking at crimes with limited information. You consider all angles. Particularly when the region has a long-standing notoriety for MS-13 entrenchment.

Strange things seem to be happening in that neighborhood. A man banging on a door and a prowler in the neighborhood is scary. I feel it may have been the POI sizing up their home.:( I wish the police had captured the prowler. One thing about it the neighbors were mindful of those who didn't seem to belong in their neighborhood. Hopefully they have more neighbors that saw things. They do have one that spotted their car right? I wonder if they described what the person was wearing and it lines up with the POI? Sometimes only half of what a witness saw or heard will be released. LE will keep the rest of it a secret.

I think the reason they are not releasing which victims specifically died from what is because that is something only the killer would know.

IMO

I also live in a fairly affluent area of NW WDC. I have called in and reported what I thought was suspicious behavior by people whom I knew did not to belong in my neighborhood.

The response has always been a polite brush-off: "Okay, we'll look into that...". I have never had any confidence that they did anything in response to my concerns. I never saw a police cruiser come through the neighborhood, nor have they ever come to my door or called me back despite having my address, phone & other info. I think that since the rest of the city has so much "real" crime, they are dismissive of people from "safe" neighborhoods who call in just to alert them that something seems off...

Must have been the morning as the fire brigade arrived about 1.30pm and he was in there then.

Or at least between noon time and before the fire was spotted since LE is saying "afternoon".

LE sure seems to know for sure that he gave them what they wanted. They have to be basing that on something they have uncovered in the ongoing investigation.

Unfortunately, I think once he did give them what they wanted.. they immediately killed him and his family plus the maid so as to leave no witnesses behind. They may have killed the other three right in front of him and then doused him with gasoline and set him afire and then burned the home. All of them had to be so terrified.(

I can't imagine as a homeowner being happy with that, if I'm paying good money I want to know that things are above board including workers rights being taken care of, any company using illegals is probably underpaying them and probably not fully insured.

Agreed. But it does seem to be the norm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiprocker