DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It strikes me the same way when I heard about the Billings, Petit murders, and when the Husted parents were murdered. It also reminds me of the New Years Day massacre some years back when ex-felons invaded a home and killed everyone inside including children. A family of four iirc. That family was also tortured before the perps finally killed them and they were in the home for quite awhile. The motives in all the mentioned cases was to rob and leave no living witnesses behind.

Most people with security systems do not activate them during the day. They are activated when it is time for everyone to retire for the night. I do wonder if the prowler in the neighborhood was the POI who was casing the place.

Plus no forced entry doesn't really mean anything either, imo. People do still continue to open their doors to strangers and they also will do so in a safe upper class neighborhood. Many of the murder cases we have discussed through the years on WS were cases where there was no forced entry yet in many of them the murderer turnout to be a stranger to the families.

In fact in my own area several years ago a man was murdered in the middle of the day and he lived in the wealthiest neighborhood in the city. A man came to his door asking to do yard work. When he opened the door and was talking with the guy he was pushed back inside and beaten to death by a complete stranger. This suspect was also an ex-felon who had convictions for robbery. His motive in that case was also robbery.

This just seem to have a robbery motive to me rather than a personal vendetta against any of the family members.

I think LE has a lot more evidence including video footage than they have released. The POI seems to be a young male, tall, and thin. The only thing I don't understand is why they pixeled out his face. Maybe LE is wanting to see if anyone can ID him by his walk, size, and clothing. That way if he is caught the defense lawyer cant say the eye witness wrongly IDd the person since they never saw his face in the media.

IMO

Respectfully, the very reason many people today activate security systems while at home is precisely because of high-profile murders and home invasions in the past. Especially in areas known for crime. My Sister-IL's parents live in a row house in Georgetown and they have had a security system for decades ever since SIL was mugged on their front porch.

Random robbers wouldn't allow them to contact their household staff. This case isn't random, it is personal. The only reason to kill the child is if the child could identify the perp or out of revenge toward the parent(s).

JMO

I also live in a fairly affluent area of NW WDC. I have called in and reported what I thought was suspicious behavior by people whom I knew did not to belong to my neighborhood.

The response has always been a polite brush-off: "Okay, we'll look into that...". I have never had any confidence that they did anything in response to my concerns. I never saw a police cruiser come through the neighborhood. I think that since the rest of the city has so much "real" crime, they are dismissive of people from "safe" neighborhoods who call in just to alert them that something is off...

Being vigilant is very imporant. Its good to know you at least tried.

Here is kind of a funny story because no real harm and I learned a lesson.

I stupidly allowed myself to be victimized by the same kids twice in the same incident. LOL

I actually saw them snooping around my garage and I am sure they were going to steal something if they could so I hustled out there to confront them. I did pretty good at first and asked them what they were doing there when I really knew they were up to no good.

They replied by telling me they were selling candy bars and I then stupidly believed them and even gave them a few dollars with their promise that they would return with the candy later that day as they made their rounds.

What an idiot I was believing them and handing over money when I should have known better because I had already guessed correctly they werent there for that reason.

Anyway lesson learned by me. I should have just told them I was not interested and told them to leave like I had planned.

It taught me how easy one can fall into a trap even when you think you know better.

And if the Savopoulos had a landline she could have easily called to let her husband know she was spending the night. I think the housekeeper was killed first to let the family know they/he meant business and she was dead at the time SS left the voice mail.

The housekeeper may have surprised the intruder...or recognized him/her. For the police to say that SS finally gave the intruder "what they wanted" tells me that the intruder not only knew what the family owned but also that it was contained in a place the intruder couldn't access, such as a safe.

JMO

The housekeeper may have surprised the intruder...or recognized him/her. For the police to say that SS finally gave the intruder "what they wanted" tells me that the intruder not only knew what the family owned but also that it was contained in a place the intruder couldn't access, such as a safe.

JMO

I'm guessing that this means that the police ALSO know what that "something" is. I believe this case will be solved shortly.

....profile of someone who was able to gain unforced entry to the home. I think most homes in that price range have security systems....
sbm

MyBelle,
Good angle there.

IIRC, several posters here said some/many/most homes in immediate vicinity of
S fam home probably have surv cam's. Not that LE w/necessarily be disclosing vid.

If MSM or posts here discussed presence or absence of electronic/digital surv alarm sys in S fam home, and connection to LE & FD, I missed it. Anyone?

Don't most of those systems have silent panic buttons so homeowners can summon LE?
But then again as ppl noted, if perp(s) had weapon to victim's throat, well, diff story.

Interesting.

<snip>

"...that you have to go around challenging other
people to a fight just because you do not agree with what they have to
say. Why do you have to resort to threats of physical violence just
because you cannot deal with opinions that run contrary to your's in
peaceful manner? "

It's unclear to me if this is Internet martial arts BS or bona fide malice.

I am trying to find the link to the entire voice mail SS sent including the part about the housekeeper's phone. Does anyone know where it is? In listening to the first part about Amy being sick, I wonder if they bleeped out because SS said the housekeeper's name or whether it was because Philip was crying or screaming in the background. It seems like too much of a coincidence that at that instance we are missing the most important background noise.

Does anyone else think it's strange that the maid NG says, "I don't know why God chose to save me." ? I mean, it seems like she's being defensive when no one said anything about it. You'd think she'd be more upset/concerned and focused on the murdered family, but she goes straight to herself being saved.

Yes, I noticed!
I thought it was odd as well.
A lot of the focus was on herself instead of the family tragedy, unless it was just snippets of a full interview?

The family home had a surv cam in the front and back of the house per GVS on Fox.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, and maybe the heat is getting to me today, but I tend to read the thread before I comment or ask a question. I definately read media links before commenting.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I find it annoying trying to stay on top of a topic when the same questions are raised again and again. When they've already been answered and commented on.

It's a pet peeve of mine, too. But, lo and behold... I did it myself just a short while ago!

I swear I don't remember reading about the lawn care guy's brother :shame:

(and I still can't find any links/reports on this)

And---total speculation with no evidence here--if someone you knew was at the home committing a crime that you had helped that person set up, what better way to clear you in the minds of all by having said person text you from the wife's phone, "saving your life" and clearing you of any suspicion in one fell swoop. Just an idea.

Where did you see that?

Someone else may already have provided it to you but here is the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36d0aa-fb24-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

It starts "When Debra Masser spoke to her brother Savvas Savopoulos by phone Thursday morning, the chief executive and father of a prominent local family seemed to be untroubled and in good spirits."

The family home had a surv cam in the front and back of the house per GVS on Fox.

I don't have a link but it was reported in MSM that neither camera had anything of value. How can that be? Weren't on, were covered??

Respectfully, the very reason many people today activate security systems while at home is precisely because of high-profile murders and home invasions in the past. Especially in areas known for crime. My Sister-IL's parents live in a row house in Georgetown and they have had a security system for decades ever since SIL was mugged on their front porch.

Random robbers wouldn't allow them to contact their household staff. This case isn't random, it is personal. The only reason to kill the child is if the child could identify the perp or out of revenge toward the parent(s).

JMO

I didn't know this area was known to be a crime area. We have the latest security system including cameras and we live in a very safe neighborhood with no crime. We do activate it fully at night but don't during the day. I do keep the outside security doors locked but my entry doors are open.

I don't think any of us can say with any certainty what the robbers would do or not do.

Children have been murdered in home invasion robberies before when they did not know the stranger murderer who killed them. They aren't only murdered because they know the perp. They have been murdered because the murderer knows they could give a description of them to LE and help ID them.

While this may be someone the family knew such as a employee or past employee it seems the motive was robbery. LE has said that Savvas finally gave them (the murderer or murderers) what they wanted on Thursday afternoon. I don't think there is any indication this was personal or a vendetta. Imo, they came there to rob this family and Savvas held out as long as he could because he knew once he gave them what they came for they would murder them all and that is exactly what they did. They probably killed the maid first and told him the next one would be his wife or child. They probably tortured this poor man until he couldn't take it anymore.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members