DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The address of the hedge fund is the same address as the AIW Virginia plant so that explains that.

I would also like to point out that he was not an employee of AIW - he fully owned the company.

He seems to be the sole owner of both the PR and BVI companies. I am assuming they were set up as a sort of wealth management strategy.
Interesting. I was not aware that there were any AIW manufacturing facilities other than in PG county, MD. As I said above, I have found it difficult to find much online about the company. It was my impression that the Chantilly address was a mailing address of sorts (possibly necessary for licensing in VA, since I see that the company worked on a big project in Arlington, VA) rather than a manufacturing facility. Also, where did you see that he owned AIW? Not doubting it, just, as I said, unable to find much about the company. I see that it was founded in 1948 (so it's been around longer than he's been alive), but no indication that he purchased the company at any point. I have only seen that he is President and CEO. It does not appear to be publicly traded, so he certainly could own it.

His company played a major role in building the Verizon Center and CityCenter (on the site of the old Convention Center). He might not have been a developer in the conventional sense along the lines of Herb Miller, Jim Abdo, Chip Akridge, etc. But his company was very much in the mix. And these companies tend to be very malleable as to what they do.
I get the impression AIW was more a subcontractor working with the larger contractors hired by the developers.

This looks more like a bucket than a bag to me...View attachment 74860

In this frame of the video it does look like a bucket. I think there is a piece of trash in area of his hand that makes the shape look like that. If you look at the full video, It looks more like a bag.

Anyone familiar with firefighter protocol? Is it standard for firefighters to do CPR on fire victims regardless of their condition? A neighbor said she saw them performing CPR on a woman. Wondering if all got CPR or whether the woman was the last to be attacked and did they think there was still hope for her?

It would be normal protocol for the firefighters to perform life-saving measures to victims of a fire.

If one ranked this from one to ten with 10 being, "Inside job involving family members" and 1 representing a mere "Random home invasion," where would you rank this one?

I'm probably around an 8. I don't think it was completely random (meaning I think the perp had had some sort of interaction with the family before the crime) but I do not think other family members or the maids had anything to do with it.

"Minutes before 10 a.m., Gutierrez got a text message from Amy Savopoulos: “I am making sure you do not come today.” Gutierrez, who was then cleaning another home in McLean, replied that she would not be coming, per Savvas Savopoulos’s earlier orders, according to the police documents."

(Same article)

This is kind of late to be warning her off. Considering a commute, did she start work at 10:30-11AM?

Really?

That makes no sense either. If the perp was worrying about her showing up, that's really late to be trying to stop her.

Even the article points out, she was ALREADY at work at another job. If she had been going to the house, one assumes she would already have been at work there by 10:AM.

And, she sure got a replacement job quickly...since she only learned she wasn't working the night before? If she regularly worked there on Thursday, that's a bit surprising too.

(Same article)[/QUOTE]

Go back two pages, you'll see this posted by someone:

Puerto Rico Creates Tax Shelters in Appeal to the Rich
By LYNNLEY BROWNING and JULIE CRESWELL MARCH 25, 2013 8:09 PM March 25, 2013

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/03/...l-to-the-rich/
"Known for its white-sand beaches and killer rums, Puerto Rico hopes to stake a new claim: tax haven for the wealthy.

There are LOTS of tax havens for the wealthy (read up on what Mitt Romney did with his money), not just Puerto Rico. I don't think Savopoulos's business interests in Puerto Rico necessarily mean he was using it as a tax haven.

And even if he was, it's not criminal. Nor does it point to some sort of a conspiracy. It just means he's being savvy with his money

I see the strong possibility of an 'inside job'----but not necessarily family members involved. Maybe employees or business associates?
That is what I also believe, along with the possibility of the perp holding the family hostage for financial gain.

MOO

If one ranked this from one to ten with 10 being, "Inside job involving family members" and 1 representing a mere "Random home invasion," where would you rank this one?
I don't think it is either. I think it has to do with his business dealings. It could be a paid for professional 'hit' or it could have been by the person who felt wronged. I would therefore give it a 5.

At this point, I'll go with 8, awaiting more information on the identity and COD of the 4th victim (the one who did not have apparent blunt force trauma/stab wounds).

MOO

Exactly. The phone was dead? As in battery was dead? I'm sure that house had chargers. It's very strange, imo, that SS made the call rather than the housekeeper "whose phone was dead."

IMO
I think the housekeeper was dead at that time, not her phone.

I'm giving it a 6...that is is NOT random.

But I don't think it's "business" or a "hit." I think it's someone who knew the family or knew one of the maids.

I suggest you move on from that early NBC video and read some of the Washington Post articles. Here is a good one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

Edit to add:

Oh, I get it, you are accusing the other housekeeper? Good Lord!

I may just be having a moment but it seems that all the stories are basically repeating what the second housekeeper has said, apart from the neighbour saying he saw the smoke from an upstairs window and a man banging on the door (though no idea of who that was), the facts as we know them have come from her.

I don't know why she would say one thing on the record, as it were, and then say something completely different later and when did the '...come Monday, come any day but don't come today' ever get mentioned afterwards? I understand that different publications can omit/embellish but this is her actually speaking. Idk.

Curiouser and curiouser indeed!

BBM

This is the part of the story which I cannot comprehend at all...assuming everything was fine that night. WHY would he not loan his phone to the housekeeper to make the call directly to her family? Why call Gutierrez asking her to relay a message? In other words, WHY did the housekeeper who was staying the night not call her family herself? Had something already happened to Figueroa?

My guess is either 1) she was already dead or 2) the perp was afraid she would speak in Spanish and he didn't understand it (recall one article said she was planning to retire soon and return to her native El Salvador).

Tweet NBC12

@BruceLeshan: NEW: Law enforcement source tells me fire started in kid's room. Money missing from house. #savopoulos @wusa9

I think the housekeeper was dead at that time, not her phone.
Agree and *IF* that is the case, it seems more logical that the relay-message-call was made rather than having anyone on the other end of the phone who would want to speak to her directly.

MOO

Interesting. I was not aware that there were any AIW manufacturing facilities other than in PG county, MD. As I said above, I have found it difficult to find much online about the company. It was my impression that the Chantilly address was a mailing address of sorts (possibly necessary for licensing in VA, since I see that the company worked on a big project in Arlington, VA) rather than a manufacturing facility. Also, where did you see that he owned AIW? Not doubting it, just, as I said, unable to find much about the company. I see that it was founded in 1948 (so it's been around longer than he's been alive), but no indication that he purchased the company at any point. I have only seen that he is President and CEO. It does not appear to be publicly traded, so he certainly could own it.

I found this which is a list of candidates for election to the IFA Board of Appeals. It reads in part:

Mr. Savopoulos is the Chairman of the Board of Sigma Enterprises, Inc., and the CEO of AIW, Inc. (American Iron Works). Mr. Savopoulos wholly owns these, and other, entities.

This was probably written by him or condensed from a formal bid made by him to be considered for election to the position, but I don't think it would be something he would lie about. It would be too easy to disprove and cause a real loss of credibility for himself.

It appears he was subsequently elected to this position. Just as an FYI FIA appears to be the governing body for Formula 1 racing and other motor sports. They also appear to support Go-karting which is only interesting in the sense that his son had supposedly received some injuries from that sport.

ETA - the AIW website lists the Chantilly facility: http://www.americanironworks.com/Contact.aspx

Here is a partial description of the role AIW played in a building project:

"Soaring 390 feet, 1812 North Moore Street will be the tallest building in Metropolitan Washington, DC with unparalleled 360 degree monumental views of the metropolitan the Washington, DC cityscape and the surrounding Arlington community."

"AIW was selected to play a major role in the structural steel framing as well as the installation of custom ornamental steel, metal grating, custom fabricated metal hand rails, and steel decking. The selection of AIW by this General Contractor was based on our design and development expertise in the areas of specialty metals fabrication and installation. Each component of the AIW scope of work called for close tolerance engineering plans that were produced in our own Engineering Department by a team of highly qualified international Engineers. The roof structure is an engineered, custom built ornamental steel structure that was fabricated in our shop over the course of over seven months. A team of over 15 professional ironworkers assembled this structure in only four nights.

Our reputation as highly-quality constructors, fabricators, and installers of custom, hand-crafted specialty metals is only one of the reasons you should look to AIW for your project needs."

http://www.americanironworks.com/Project-Portfolio/1812-N002E-Moore-Street.aspx

I found this which is a list of candidates for election to the IFA Board of Appeals. It reads in part:

This was probably written by him or condensed from a formal bid made by him to be considered for election to the position, but I don't think it would be something he would lie about. It would be too easy to disprove and cause a real loss of credibility for himself.

It appears he was subsequently elected to this position. Just as an FYI FIA appears to be the governing body for Formula 1 racing and other motor sports. They also appear to support Go-karting which is only interesting in the sense that his son had supposedly received some injuries from that sport.
You're right, too easy disprove ownership so I would imagine this was correct. Good find. The go kart/racing connection is also interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay