DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When firefighters arrived, the dogs were in the yard.

so killer(s) wanted dogs to live............must be electric fence to keep dogs in yard and not chase someone running from house to get in a car
my dog loves to jump in cars

I've lost 2 posts so far...let's see if I can post this without accidentally deleting it ;)
re: the shoes: There would've been a lot of blood from murdering 4 people...it would've splattered everywhere...

Also, how did Jordan get into the garage? Through the house? Did he have a key to the house? I find it hard to believe he wasn't involved...but then I think Wint was alone, as he couldn't take SS to the bank to get more $$$ (because if Wint were alone, he couldn't leave the other 3 at the house to drive SS to the bank)...

I often drive by the house (it's a shortcut through Rock Creek/ off Mass Ave Heights) ... there's not really 'neighbors' there...just a mansion across the street by the garage, with a tennis court on the side...and then, the house across the street ... is large...unfortunately, in DC, many 'hoods are cold and don't look out for neighbors...it'd be easy for the S's to be 'overlooked' by neighbors.

That said, the house is DARK at night...and that was noticeable...should've alerted people. Now, a man is in a truck watching the garage...it's just so damn sad.

I think it's possible that SS requested JW call 10 minutes before arriving so that DW could open the garage door in preparation.

That is correct. And I am not a fan of unattributed quotes. But, it is mainstream media, and I'm just entering it as information available to the public. Others have noted that LE was looking for Wint to be wearing tennis shoes or sneakers, so I concur that is what he most likely was wearing during/following the crime. I also recall reading/hearing that LE had determined that the shoes Wint was caught wearing did not match the boot print.

There hasn't been anything reported on whether Wint's shoes matched the boot print.

Think i'll take a break from posting for awhile. While I think Wint is a disgusting creature, I don't see how he looks like he doesn't belong. A person doesn't have to have a certain look to live somewhere guys.

Of course they don't have to, but they generally do.

Not everything has to do with race if that's what's being implied.

Not to intentionally be macabre but given the brutal manner in which the three adults were slain, there would be pools of blood all over the floor of that room. Wint would have walked through this and left foot prints as well as picked up the blood that was later found in the treads of his shoes which DC police identified as tennis shoes.

http://pix11.com/2015/05/21/suspect-in-d-c-familys-murder-may-be-in-new-york-area/

Do you know the specifics of how they were murdered? I haven't seen any details that would indicate how much blood was present at the crime scene. I may have missed that, as I've had to not read so much about it in the last few days. Trying to maintain some distance. :(

I would love to think that DW had a redeeming quality such as not wanting to harm the dogs. Unfortunately, I believe he was scared of dogs and instructed either AS or VF put them outside. I'm guessing, but if he didn't have a gun to shoot them, he would have had to get close to them in order to kill them and I think he was too scared.

Too bad because I would have loved the dogs to have torn him apart as long as they didn't get hurt.

LOL, I had to come back and post what DH reminded me.

Years ago, he had his own business and he would work until very late at night. He'd get home at 1am, eat dinner, watch Star Trek and take the dogs for a walk between 2:30 and 3 am. He's 6'4", 275lbs and at the time he had long hair and mountain man beard. The Sheriffs got to know him because many times, people called to report a suspicious person "casing the neighborhood". Our area has streets that are about half a mile long, with no cul-de-sacs, so even after living his entire life here, there are probably hundreds of "neighbors" that don't know each other. He started wearing his ID on a lanyard around his neck so he wouldn't alarm anyone by reaching into his coat for it.

On a side note: the week before we met, he had cut his hair and shaved his beard for the first time in 20 years. If I had met him before that, we would never have gotten past "hello, let's be friends". While we know we shouldn't judge people by their looks, most human beings do to some extent. It's a form of survival and self preservation to be able to recognize someone who might do you harm. My DG is a sweetheart, but beards have always creeped me out, I'm sorry to those who have them, it's just a weirdness of mine. No mustaches or beards ever on my guys.

Long hair on men on the other hand, I lovelovelove it, but he won't let it grow again. wah. :(

People are visual creatures and most can tell when something doesn't quite fit.

When I first moved here, I would go for walks and occasionally have to sit my fat asssthmatic self down on a curb for a break. I once had someone come out on his lawn and stare at me from across the street, giving me the stink eye and went and closed his garage door, turned around again and just stared until I got up and left. I felt like crying, but I understood why he did it - he didn't know me, I was doing something unusual and frankly, I'd probably be suspicious of myself.

Why would the perp(s) take the time to get doggy downers, so as not to harm the dogs, but torture, mutilate and murder the humans? Sounds like a lot of effort to spare the dogs, and my general opinion about DW is that he likes to exert as little effort as possible. My personal opinion is that someone was involved who was known to the dogs.

rkf -
Your point about person(s) having been known to dogs is a good one. Ditto about DDW being work-shy.

Thanks for responding to my post which should have bn more clearly worded. No, I don't think perp(s) heartless enough to commit those crimes wd spend 5 seconds thinking about dogs, at least not someone else's dogs. My post responded to (paraphrased) - perp(s) could have gotten tranq for dogs, if they had easy access to the drug world. I pointed out perp(s) did not need to hook up w a mysterious, illegal drug connection: Just see a vet.Or as someone else (popsicle?) said: Benadryl. JM2cts, could be all wrong.

Well it took me almost all day to find anything re: the sales manager, Brian Albert Armstrong, at Bethesda Auto being arrested in connection with luxury car theft and fraud.
http://arrestlistings.com/maryland/...ors/brian-armstrong/public-record-false-entry
In my research, I found that most people looking to buy a Land or Range Rover, in the DC area, tend to go here or to Tyson's Corner, VA.

It will be very interesting to know if SS bought any of his luxury vehicles from Manhattan's Bethesda Auto group in Rockville.

There hasn't been anything reported on whether Wint's shoes matched the boot print.

The search warrant dated May 22, the day after Wint was arrested, states they are looking for "shoes that contain a tread pattern similar to the picture depicted in Attachment 8." in the Ford truck and Chevy Cruze. Why would they look for a matching shoe if they already have Wint and his shoes in custody. I would think they'd check those shoes against the print immediately. Just a preponderance of caution?
https://www.scribd.com/doc/267779255/Return-After-Search-of-Ford

I'm not sure entry was made through the door with the boot print. I've read that the lock was damaged, but I haven't seen that the door was actually kicked open. I still think the boot print is a red herring.

JMO

rkf -
Your point about person(s) having been known to dogs is a good one. Ditto about DDW being work-shy.

Thanks for responding to my post which should have bn more clearly worded. No, I don't think perp(s) heartless enough to commit those crimes wd spend 5 seconds thinking about dogs, at least not someone else's dogs. My post responded to (paraphrased) - perp(s) could have gotten tranq for dogs, if they had easy access to the drug world. I pointed out perp(s) did not need to hook up w a mysterious, illegal drug connection: Just see a vet.Or as someone else (popsicle?) said: Benadryl. JM2cts, could be all wrong.

I agree, if someone cared, they could drug dogs pretty easily. I'm of two minds - I find it hard to believe someone would care enough to gently "disarm" the dogs, but torture the humans. However, one of the first things that stuck out to me (and made me briefly suspect a family member - first suspect always!) was that the dogs were let out in the yard, while the humans were left to burn up. The "work" involved in drugging the dogs make me think it unlikely, but there is no understanding the mind of this/these perp(s).

Well it took me almost all day to find anything re: the sales manager, Brian Albert Armstrong, at Bethesda Auto being arrested in connection with luxury car theft and fraud.
http://arrestlistings.com/maryland/...ors/brian-armstrong/public-record-false-entry
In my research, I found that most people looking to buy a Land or Range Rover, in the DC area, tend to go here or to Tyson's Corner, VA.

It will be very interesting to know if SS bought any of his luxury vehicles from Manhattan's Bethesda Auto group in Rockville.

I noticed the place SS bought his Mosler also sells Land Rovers and other luxury vehicles. I wonder if there's an incentive to buying in Florida vs. Maryland.

http://www.prestigeimports.com/

Time to catch up on a few things:

-Someone asked about the new looking curbs and pristine sidewalks. Several years back, I'm guessing during the Williams administration since he was derisively called "The Bean Counter", granite curbs were installed in DC for their near indestructibility and long term cost savings. Also, sidewalks in Upper Northwest tend to be tidy as many helpers sweep outdoors as part of their housekeeping routine.

-Someone asked about the sheet metal used by Mosler. Interestingly, Mosler's coolest engineering feat was constructing the very first super car with a body that was 100% composites. Pretty groovy. (I've developed a crush on this man reading about him. He's primarily a wildly accomplished economist, amazingly! He also runs and has boyish good looks.)

-The mention that this neighborhood is "cold" is so far off base, I am stumped.

-I wonder if the FL tags are because the SS family tries to minimize their DC tax liability. I haven't noticed are other cars registered in DC? FL doesn't have state income tax, and so there may be incentive to keep DC residency ties minimal. Also, there is specific track insurance for cars, so maybe the whole racing registration discussion is unnecessary.

Finally, while I am doing housekeeping, it seems that people who enjoy deductive reasoning are drawn to this website, and some conclusions are being drawn from my words that are mistaken. I stated that somebody like Wint, pictured with "prison muscles", dreads, on social media in a wifebeater shirt, would be noticed loitering in the SS' neighborhood. Never did I say the area is sacrosanct. The neighborhood is, actually, quite warm and inviting, as well as somewhat ethnically diverse. There are diplomats from all over the world. A 5k out and back run from their house could take you to a mosque, synagogue, Orthodox Church, or nearly to a Quaker meeting hall. Primarily, the folks are limousine liberals and affluent urbanites. People do tend to know who their neighbors are, through kids, dogs and/or flower gardening. Many people choose the neighborhood precisely because it has a sense of community; certainly nobody is there there for the top public schools, new and low maintenance homes, and big yards. I lived about seven city blocks from their home for most of my adult life. I just love the area and know it well. People notice changes and talk about them.

Also, it seems someone gathered that because I'm trying to make sense of JW's possible criminal involvement, and whether he might at some point be charged with murder, that I believe that he participated, hands on, in the killing and then sped away in a stolen Porsche. I, in no way, am inclined to think it possible that he was in two places at once. Unless Mosler was as good as DeLorean and Doc Brown, and the car is also a time machine.

Peace.

Time to catch up on a few things:

-Someone asked about the new looking curbs and pristine sidewalks. Several years back, I'm guessing during the Williams administration since he was derisively called "The Bean Counter", granite curbs were installed in DC for their near indestructibility and long term cost savings. Also, sidewalks in Upper Northwest tend to be tidy as many helpers sweep outdoors as part of their housekeeping routine.

-Someone asked about the sheet metal used by Mosler. Interestingly, Mosler's coolest engineering feat was constructing the very first super car with a body that was 100% composites. Pretty groovy. (I've developed a crush on this man reading about him. He's primarily a wildly accomplished economist, amazingly! He also runs and has boyish good looks.)

-The mention that this neighborhood is "cold" is so far off base, I am stumped.

-I wonder if the FL tags are because the SS family tries to minimize their DC tax liability. I haven't noticed are other cars registered in DC? FL doesn't have state income tax, and so there may be incentive to keep DC residency ties minimal. Also, there is specific track insurance for cars, so maybe the whole racing registration discussion is unnecessary.

Finally, while I am doing housekeeping, it seems that people who enjoy deductive reasoning are drawn to this website, and some conclusions are being drawn from my words that are mistaken. I stated that somebody like Wint, pictured with "prison muscles", dreads, on social media in a wifebeater shirt, would be noticed loitering in the SS' neighborhood. Never did I say the area is sacrosanct. The neighborhood is, actually, quite warm and inviting, as well as somewhat ethnically diverse. There are diplomats from all over the world. A 5k out and back run from their house could take you to a mosque, synagogue, Orthodox Church, or nearly to a Quaker meeting hall. Primarily, the folks are limousine liberals and affluent urbanites. People do tend to know who their neighbors are, through kids, dogs and/or flower gardening. Many people choose the neighborhood precisely because it has a sense of community; certainly nobody is there there for the top public schools, new and low maintenance homes, and big yards. I lived about seven city blocks from their home for most of my adult life. I just love the area and know it well. People notice changes and talk about them.

Also, it seems someone gathered that because I'm trying to make sense of JW's possible criminal involvement, and whether he might at some point be charged with murder, that I believe that he participated, hands on, in the killing and then sped away in a stolen Porsche. I, in no way, am inclined to think it possible that he was in two places at once. Unless Mosler was as good as DeLorean and Doc Brown, and the car is also a time machine.

Peace.

I tried to message you because I'm over-posting. :)

DC has had granite curbs since at least the 1940s, and I think much longer. There was some kind of legislation passed not too long ago that makes them standard near monuments and other places. I don't know how much influence this local legislation has made, since using granite was standard practice before and after the vote.

The Mosler was definitely registered in Maryland when SS bought it (after it was registered in Florida by Premiere Imports, where SS bought it.) I'm attaching the Carfax.1CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this vehicle  1M94136B24C682017 (1).jpg I haven't been able to figure out if the registration lapsed or if Maryland is one of the states that doesn't report registration renewals to Carfax.

We know very little about Wint beyond his criminal record and his work history with AIW. We know he stayed at his Dad's for a day or two after the murders and that he went to Brooklyn, stayed with a GF and swapped phones with her upon hailing the $1000 livery cab to transport him back to DC. We know he was arrested with cash money, money orders, knives and cellphones. We do not know if he pumped up at a gym or in a home or if he used steroids or other drugs.

We do not know if he was the only intruder but we know that the three adult victims were found in chairs in one upstairs bedroom and the ten year old son, PS, was found burned alive in his bedroom (separated from the adults) and specifically in his bed.

The part where he (DW) took a cab back to DC. I'm wondering if the crew he was with when arrested lived in DC. The females had a car (which he was in when arrested) and his brother had a truck. Neither vehicle picked him up in NY. So they met in DC it would appear. Interesting. He left NY that same day, a Thursday, right? Because he spent Wednesday with his gf in NY. If I remember reading correctly, he spent Sunday - Wed night with GF. So he purchased money orders on Thursday? And he had to make plans to meet up with all these people. Or someone else set it up and DW was told to meet up with them in DC.

I would love to think that DW had a redeeming quality such as not wanting to harm the dogs. Unfortunately, I believe he was scared of dogs and instructed either AS or VF put them outside. I'm guessing, but if he didn't have a gun to shoot them, he would have had to get close to them in order to kill them and I think he was too scared.

Too bad because I would have loved the dogs to have torn him apart as long as they didn't get hurt.

Yup! That's exactly what I think, DW was probably afraid of the dogs and didn't want to risk getting up close & personal with them!

SS, AS and VF were bludgeoned and stabbed to death, and PS was stabbed and burned alive. I think it's safe to assume there was a bloodbath in that home. And they had been tortured too ...

ETA: I forgot to include the post I was replying to. This is in reply to the poster, I think rkf, who questioned if the crime scene would have been bloody.

The search warrant dated May 22, the day after Wint was arrested, states they are looking for "shoes that contain a tread pattern similar to the picture depicted in Attachment 8." in the Ford truck and Chevy Cruze. Why would they look for a matching shoe if they already have Wint and his shoes in custody. I would think they'd check those shoes against the print immediately. Just a preponderance of caution?
https://www.scribd.com/doc/267779255/Return-After-Search-of-Ford

I'm not sure entry was made through the door with the boot print. I've read that the lock was damaged, but I haven't seen that the door was actually kicked open. I still think the boot print is a red herring.

JMO

If they look for shoes without a search warrant, the shoes might end up not being admitted at trial.
So they can't just go and check the shoes without the search warrant, if they want the evidence admitted at trial.

The part where he (DW) took a cab back to DC. I'm wondering if the crew he was with when arrested lived in DC. The females had a car (which he was in when arrested) and his brother had a truck. Neither vehicle picked him up in NY. So they met in DC it would appear. Interesting. He left NY that same day, a Thursday, right? Because he spent Wednesday with his gf in NY. If I remember reading correctly, he spent Sunday - Wed night with GF. So he purchased money orders on Thursday? And he had to make plans to meet up with all these people. Or someone else set it up and DW was told to meet up with them in DC.

Yes, that jaunt to NYC and back to DC is so interesting. It is surprising that he came back to DC. He had enough cash to get out of Dodge before they knew who they were looking for. He could have been long gone. And yet he was sitting on his family's front stoop for awhile. Very odd, imo.

Do you know the specifics of how they were murdered? I haven't seen any details that would indicate how much blood was present at the crime scene. I may have missed that, as I've had to not read so much about it in the last few days. Trying to maintain some distance. :(

I saw an article a while ago with some details on what was done to the boy. Yes, there would have been large amounts of blood. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee