DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think i'll take a break from posting for awhile. While I think Wint is a disgusting creature, I don't see how he looks like he doesn't belong. A person doesn't have to have a certain look to live somewhere guys.

I meant that he looked like he didn't belong in that neighborhood. of course a person doesn't have to look a certain way to live somewhere -- but a person does generally look a certain way to live in that neighborhood. I'm a white woman and I feel out of place there (I don't live in Mass Ave heights, I live nearby) if I'm wearing the kinds of clothes I usually wear. Wint does not look like a wealthy man or a diplomat. He would stand out.

When the 3 cars were towed, it was indicated that the police thought the cars had been tampered with (perps attempted theft) and brought them in for evidence collection. Maybe there was a tracking device on the cars either from the SS or insurance company that deterred the perps?

I live nearby and as I posted before I do not think it would be easy to case the joint. This neighborhood is fairly deserted. People don't just walk around there and someone like Wint would absolutely stand out. He would have to be disguised at some kind of worker but then if he was on the Savopouloses property they would know he didn't belong.

I do wonder about that vacuum cleaner salesman.

Has anyone on this thread EVER seen a door-to-door vacuum salesman? I mean, since the 1950s? That is such a weird detail. Is there someplace where vacuum cleaner salesmen are still common?

I meant that he looked like he didn't belong in that neighborhood. of course a person doesn't have to look a certain way to live somewhere -- but a person does generally look a certain way to live in that neighborhood. I'm a white woman and I feel out of place there (I don't live in Mass Ave heights, I live nearby) if I'm wearing the kinds of clothes I usually wear. Wint does not look like a wealthy man or a diplomat. He would stand out.

DW would stand out definitely. If he was in my neighborhood, I would be concerned.

I live closer to the house next door than they did and I don't know if I would hear a window breaking next door, especially if I was on the other side of the house or watching TV. And wouldn't the dogs be barking at the same time?

My take on the neighborhood is that the emptiness of the place (and trust me on this, it is eerily quiet there) would allow someone to "do something" quickly and get away with it. But if someone was outside for any period of time, casing the place, they would be very noticeable.

Just an observation from North Carolina. I don't know if it was warm enough in DC that AC was running -- here it was because people almost always air condition instead of opening the windows even when they could just do with natural ventilation -- but when my AC is on, I hear almost nothing from next door between the white noise created by the compressor and the blowing through the vents. I'm always surprised when I step out onto my porch at how loud the birds and general ambient noise is.

That article just says shoes. Nothing in there about tennis shoes. That if you believe something attributed to some anonymous sources to begin with.

That is correct. And I am not a fan of unattributed quotes. But, it is mainstream media, and I'm just entering it as information available to the public. Others have noted that LE was looking for Wint to be wearing tennis shoes or sneakers, so I concur that is what he most likely was wearing during/following the crime. I also recall reading/hearing that LE had determined that the shoes Wint was caught wearing did not match the boot print.

Think i'll take a break from posting for awhile. While I think Wint is a disgusting creature, I don't see how he looks like he doesn't belong. A person doesn't have to have a certain look to live somewhere guys.

I think a blond, blue-eyed kid with a golf club would stick out if he was standing around the neighborhood, without an apparent reason for being there. JMO

Has anyone on this thread EVER seen a door-to-door vacuum salesman? I mean, since the 1950s? That is such a weird detail. Is there someplace where vacuum cleaner salesmen are still common?

Maybe back in the day, but no, very odd! Especially in this neighborhood! I think
a lot of people would call the police if someone was going door to door. At least
in th San Francisco area.

Just an observation from North Carolina. I don't know if it was warm enough in DC that AC was running -- here it was because people almost always air condition instead of opening the windows even when they could just do with natural ventilation -- but when my AC is on, I hear almost nothing from next door between the white noise created by the compressor and the blowing through the vents. I'm always surprised when I step out onto my porch at how loud the birds and general ambient noise is.

None of my neighbors ever open their windows, ever.... ever.

Interesting article about dogs and whether or not they are a deterrent for burglaries. It was conducted with inmates.......

"II. Dogs and Home/Office/Neighborhood Security

Improving home security is relatively easy. Increasing your security outside the home imposes additional constraints. Let's consider home security first. (Much of the information in this section applies, with obvious modifications, to the workplace, and you may want to keep it in mind if you work outside the home at times when most others do not.)

A. Ask the experts about home security. Jack MacLean (Secrets of a Superthief) reports the results of a survey of over 300 prison inmates who'd been convicted of burglary or other residential crimes. Three of the questions were about dogs and home security:

Would dogs scare you away?
65% said that dogs of good size and unfriendly persuasion would scare them away
35% said no dog would scare them away.

Based on reassessment of responses, MacLean concludes that over 95% would indeed be scared away.[5]

What kinds of dogs scare you away the most?
35% Dobermans
30% "pit bull dogs"[6]
25% all dogs
10% German Shepherd Dogs

What would scare you away from a residence more than anything?
59% people in the house
32% almost any dog[7]
9% replies from night-time only burglars, who'd be deterred by spot or flood lights lighting up a yard

In another study, the following question was asked of 589 convicted property offenders:

How effective is each of the following likely to be in preventing burglary, breaking and entering and grand theft?

0 - not effective 1 - somewhat effective 2 - very effective

Monitored burglar alarms[8] 1.51
Electronic sensors in windows 1.35
Closed circuit TV cameras in stores 1.31
Private security patrols 1.14
DOG IN HOUSE 1.11
Weapons in home 1.10
Guardhouses protecting homes 1.07
Random police foot patrols 1.05
Better exterior lighting 1.02
"Neighborhood Watch" programs 0.98
Safes/strong boxes 0.83
Local burglar alarms 0.83
Deadbolt lock 0.79
Timed interior lights 0.78[9]

And a police officer wrote:

...you are concerned for your family's safety, and you want a nice pet, too. Fortunately..., you can have the best of both worlds. I speak as a dog enthusiast, and as a police officer who specializes in Crime Prevention. ...Professional criminals dislike: 1. time 2. noise 3. light. [TIME:] Most thieves like to be into a house in less than 15 seconds; if a criminal needs more than that he probably won't break into your house. This tells us that good quality, re-enforced doors [and windows] with heavy duty locks are an answer. LIGHT: if you keep the area around your house lighted (sensor lights are good and inexpensive, too) this will help greatly. NOISE: ... [a small, alert dog], while not intimidating to most people, is a problem to a burglar - he does not want to hear that barking! So, you can improve your home security without adding a... [larger] dog.... BUT, like a lot of things, sometimes more is better, and in this case, having more physical security, more light or more noise is going to be in your favor.... Also, having a big dog on the property lets the pros know when they are looking for an easy mark that perhaps your house is not an easy mark.

But, there are still the matters of neighborhood and car safety, and not just any barking dog will help with these."

Kind of long

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is all good info as a deterrent if a criminal is looking for an easy mark. But, it won't do much good if you are targeted by a criminal, who can then figure out how to undermine the deterrents you have put in place.

Maybe back in the day, but no, very odd! Especially in this neighborhood! I think
a lot of people would call the police if someone was going door to door. At least
in th San Francisco area.

And apparently people did call the police.

They are not common, but do exist - at least Kirby still does this. My Dad bought one when he was 90 yrs old. He gave it to my sister eventually because it was totally unpractical for him. I was not happy!! This was only 3 years ago. I was surprised they still do this.

IMOO the perp(s) did know the sweet dogs.............and the routine of care.
Kept them far away from owners so the dogs would not be a problem, feeling the fear, hearing the scream etc.
The mansion is huge............dogs in the basement? back room 1st floor?
Victims were on the second floor............doors closed?
Interesting to see where dogs were found in the house since they were not over come with smoke or fire.

Yeah, and it makes you wonder why LE would release information about "forced entry" after initially saying "no forced entry". I can't believe they hadn't done a thorough dusting of all exterior doors before the press conference where they announce "inside job" (paraphrasing). So is this old evidence being released with a new spin. Is it possible they're trying to give POIs the opportunity to incur lesser charge if they come forward? Would the fact that it was a forced entry imply less premeditation regarding the ensuing events?

I haven't gone back to compare the timing of the statements made by the Chief and also NG. At first, the Chief said no sign of forced entry. NG said at one point the family never used the security system and said at another point, they did. I've lost track of NG's inconsistent public statements but the Chief seems to have a strategy.

JMO

we do. about once a year they come by.

Kept them far away from owners so the dogs would not be a problem, feeling the fear, hearing the scream etc.
Interesting to see where dogs were found in the house since they were not over come with smoke or fire.

IMO, DW did just as you say. Closed the dogs in one room and was done with them. IIRC when VF husband was there banging on the door he didn't report any barking. Same with pizza delivery

My Yorkie is 5 lbs and raises hell when my husband and I hug. I guess he thinks he's hurting me. He will yap until I tell him "Mommy's ok". If I leave him outside too long, he will yelp. He's a noisy boy packed in a little body.

Their dogs may have been very laid back. Maybe DW occupied them with treats? It may sound crazy but he could have packed a bag of pupperoni. Or someone familiar was around. TBH I don't think they did much screaming. DW probably told him, "scream and ill cut your sons throat" I mean just think about it, this guy made several calls and sounded extremely calm.

Yes, I think the dogs were oblivious to what was going on. They may have been trained not to go upstairs. Whether inside or out, the dogs were on familiar turf. The houses are very large, well insulated and even if they did bark, neighbors may not have heard any barking at all.

JMO

That is correct. And I am not a fan of unattributed quotes. But, it is mainstream media, and I'm just entering it as information available to the public. Others have noted that LE was looking for Wint to be wearing tennis shoes or sneakers, so I concur that is what he most likely was wearing during/following the crime. I also recall reading/hearing that LE had determined that the shoes Wint was caught wearing did not match the boot print.
Not to intentionally be macabre but given the brutal manner in which the three adults were slain, there would be pools of blood all over the floor of that room. Wint would have walked through this and left foot prints as well as picked up the blood that was later found in the treads of his shoes which DC police identified as tennis shoes.

http://pix11.com/2015/05/21/suspect-in-d-c-familys-murder-may-be-in-new-york-area/

When firefighters arrived, the dogs were in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1