DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly certain he joined the military before his criminal record started. That came later.

Another thought: how does one get Honorably Discharged if one was never a Marine?

Can you get HD'd from boot camp? It doesn't make sense to me.

My husband, a former military officer and service academy grad, says someone can wash out for not being physically or psychologically fit, e.g., under pressure they evidence psychological issues. He concurs that it's too late if someone just thinks, "oh, don't like this, I quit." He says it's more unpleasant to quit than to be kicked out. According to someone he knows who is involved in recruiting, something like 2/3 are excluded during the initial work-up before they ever enlist, so he's sort of surprised that this guy made it through. He says that the characteristics of someone with his criminal record would be a poor predictor of success in the military and so would be a poor prospect during the recruiting process...

I know they look at criminal and medical records to see if there are any issues in the past but I wonder if Wint had any records because he was an immigrant?

I am not sure how to quote yet but Oceanblueeyes makes a good point on the dogs. I just watched a news special where dog owners were on telling about their dogs ability to protect the family. The news station then put hidden cameras in the home and had a fake "prowler" break in. The dogs, all various breeds, all acted either scared, curious,or oblivious. To the shock of one home owner his German Shepard even brought his ball to the "prowler" to play. But none reacted violently.

Welcome Kitterly!

to quote, you go to the bottom of the post you are responding to and hit the middle button, "reply with quote." If you want to quote multiple posts...well, that has eluded me for years.

I don't think he dropped out on his own. It isn't uncommon for many recruits to fail to pass muster in the grueling 13 weeks of training at Marine Corps boot camp. It is the toughest to complete of all armed services. Many recruits who want to be Marines never become one because they never make it at boot camp.

Its much more than being just physically fit and even though he seems muscular now doesn't mean he was back then. I honestly don't think he was tough enough to be a Marine. Either that or he would not adhere to the rules and discipline which is another thing that will get a recruit tossed to the curb and sent home.
IMO

Hello blueeyes,

Former Marine here and I know some things have changed. Back in my time with the draft lottery and sometimes a felon entering about the only way out would be for a medical injury or psychiatric diag. I sure it happens on rare occasion but they'll also set people back for retraining or ship them off to motivation platoon to move mounds of sand. (an attitude check) If someone is having trouble on a force march they expect others in the platoon to get them through it.

My gut feeling is he had a personality flaw and was just not compatible in getting along with others. The Marines will get a person in shape, many hundreds and thousands of bends and thrust with pushups can be done in 13 weeks. I saw two dropouts due to medical reasons (a drill instructor injured a recruit by putting a boot in his back doing push-ups.

Times have changed though but I don't think too much.

Semper Fi

I know they look at criminal and medical records to see if there are any issues in the past but I wonder if Wint had any records because he was an immigrant?

I don't know about his past records, but my husband was saying that if someone subsequently developed the criminal record that Wint has, that usually they would show character/personality traits (dishonesty, impulsivity, lack of self control, etc.) even before committing any crimes that would come out during initial evaluation and make that person a poor prospect. Of course, no screening process works with 100% certainty.

Hello blueeyes,

Former Marine here and I know some things have changed. Back in my time with the draft lottery and sometimes a felon entering about the only way out would be for a medical injury or psychiatric diag. I sure it happens on rare occasion but they'll also set people back for retraining or ship them off to motivation platoon to move mounds of sand. (an attitude check) If someone is having trouble on a force march they expect others in the platoon to get them through it.

My gut feeling is he had a personality flaw and was just not compatible in getting along with others. The Marines will get a person in shape, many hundreds and thousands of bends and thrust with pushups can be done in 13 weeks. I saw two dropouts due to medical reasons (a drill instructor injured a recruit by putting a boot in his back doing push-ups.

Semper Fi

Thank you for your service!

BBM. I think the cultural differences would have drawn immediate scrutiny for further psych evaluation and could explain why he was booted with honor so swiftly. My brother tells me that when a Marine recruit fails boot camp because of the physical demands, they send him back through until he gets it right.

JMO

I don't know about his past records, but my husband was saying that if someone subsequently developed the criminal record that Wint has, that usually they would show character/personality traits (dishonesty, impulsivity, lack of self control, etc.) even before committing any crimes that would come out during initial evaluation and make that person a poor prospect. Of course, no screening process works with 100% certainty.

I'm not sure what screening process is done prior to Marine boot camp. With the recent military base murders in the past few years, I think the debate had to do with the fact that if there is screening, it is very minimal.

I've long held the opinion that our escalating crime rates, prison populations and cases of domestic violence are tied to the elimination of the mandatory draft. Too many teenagers are not being required to learn to follow the rules or to engage in self-discipline but that is another topic altogether.

JMO

Another thought: how does one get Honorably Discharged if one was never a Marine?

Well, I'd ask my husband, but he's getting pretty upset by my intense interest in this case. :silenced:

I won't let that stop me from guessing that you have to get "discharged" (honorably or dishonorably) after you've signed on the dotted line, which would be prior to bootcamp.

I'm not sure what screening process is done prior to Marine boot camp. With the recent military base murders in the past few years, I think the debate had to do with the fact that if there is screening, it is very minimal.

I've long held the opinion that our escalating crime rates, prison populations and cases of domestic violence are tied to the elimination of the mandatory draft. Too many teenagers are not being required to learn to follow the rules or to engage in self-discipline but that is another topic altogether.
JMO

Bag of worms, Bag of worms, Bag of worms but I do agree.

Well, I'd ask my husband, but he's getting pretty upset by my intense interest in this case. :silenced:

I won't let that stop me from guessing that you have to get "discharged" (honorably or dishonorably) after you've signed on the dotted line, which would be prior to bootcamp.

I've heard of Honorable under medical conditions, it's a bit different than just dropping out but we'd need to see the record.

Hello blueeyes,

Semper Fi

Right. You don't quit the Marines. I had 3 girls in my platoon that wanted out... all 3 attempted suicide in order to get that discharge. They can d/c you but you can't quit.

I've heard of Honorable under medical conditions, it's a bit different than just dropping out but we'd need to see the record.

Oh, yes. I was just addressing a question that implied that you can't be discharged if you were only in boot camp and not really "in" the Marines. I think you're "in" for the purpose discharge once you enlist. Is that correct? That if you left bootcamp because you were booted out, you'd have to be "discharged"? Isn't the only question whether or not it was "honorable"? It would be great to know from someone who actually served.

JMO It depends, I know someone that got hooked/addicted to heroin in germany while serving in the army and they got an honorable discharge. Like some places oif employment, they let you quit instead of being fired. jmo idk

I think the bigger debate is the fact that he doesn't hold American citizenship or a job so how is it that he was able to renew his green card?

It appears that Wint self-identified as African American.

JMO

I came across this long thread of a debate that SS was having with others. It's just interesting to see how passionate he was about martial arts and incredibly intelligent.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/fa.iaido/68-lA-Kt5q4/DBwPd6QWWHgJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes and probably skilled, well-trained. Underscores two things: a) perps' cowardice (I know we knew that already) in disabling SS through leveraging his family and probably ambushing him as he entered house, perhaps injuring him immediately b) possibility that perp/s knew of his abilities and so prepared an offensive against them c) possibility that weapons used were not the knives, but from a sword collection in the house though these would be unwieldy i would think for a novice, though apparently alleged perp DW could handle a machete.
SS was a collector--of fine art and cars anyway. I'd guess he also (and maybe I read this somewhere) collected authentic and antique Japanese swords used in his particular MA. Perhaps these housed at the Dojo.
Would think LE will be checking any ads for these or with collectors who might have unwittingly bought them or know they are available.

MOD ALERT

Stay on topic please. Thank you!

Hopefully his prison mates will assure that he gets capitol punishment when they find out how he tortured a 10-y.o. kid. Despite the bulked up photos of DW from his facebook, he is a small person, 5'7" 150#. He won't be Mr. tough guy for long in prison.

Unfortunately due to his numerous times in prison ; I think he will adapt.

In the video posted by TexMex (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...olice-say.html), as noted by TexMex (sorry don't know gender, I guess I could use LE convention and call TexMex "IT") at around 58s you get a view of the shoes. They actually look like Timberlands to me!

In the Porsche-fire video, on the other hand, the shoes look like dark-colored running shoes with white soles to me.

But that is not him at 58 secs in that video. at the time of his arrest, he did not have on a dark hoodie.

Darron+Wint+Arrest.jpg

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/images/Darron+Wint+Arrest.jpg

But that is not him at 58 secs in that video. at the time of his arrest, he did not have on a dark hoodie.

Darron+Wint+Arrest.jpg

Right! The blue hoodie guy is his brother.

And just to point out the obvious, but you could easily think that guy is a black "clean cut" guy. You do not see dreads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1