DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh gross he looks so deformed and we know his personality is disgusting. What kind of woman would be charmed by this?
Takes all kinds. Based on his selfie, he thought he was the bomb. Drugs, booze can make people look good to some. Bet he could turn on the charm. Wouldn't charm you or me, but she might not have been so "particular" if he was fun, flashed some money, and had a "high" to offer. Sorry, but I can't think she was the most discriminating person in the world to take up with him. IDK Jeckel and Hyde? His own family got a restraining order, but then let him hang for a few days. JMO he's dumb, but manipulative.

I think it's possible that SS requested JW call 10 minutes before arriving so that DW could open the garage door in preparation.
JMO these calls were about JW and DW, not JW and "boss." The Wed. nt. call JW made, a msg. to DW about "package," and same with the Th. 10 minute out call and the post-drop call.

I was hoping not to get into the DP debate but this case IMO is good reason it shouldn't be taken off the table. I believe this crime was so heinous it cries out for the DP for those responsible in the deaths of the family.

It would be one more tool in negotiations if a plea deal were considered. Not that I think Wint would cooperate but just maybe. Yes it would be years away if ever but from my view it's about the punishment that fits the crime.

I could deal with life with no possibility of parole if wint proffered to testify about others, if there are others. I'd also make a lousy juror because I'd convict him for the DNA and Blood on his shoe along with the cash found at his arrest. (if proven true) JMO & MOO

If he did it, death is too good for him. Anyway, it wouldn't be for another twenty years. JMO I like to think of him taking selfies and going the "lonely hearts" route for that twenty and meantime, having to watch his back. Finally,this guy is off the streets. There is no punishment that can fit this crime. Things gotta change, 39 "brushes" with law, serious charges, ticking time bomb. This guy should not have been walking among us. JMO

They are not common, but do exist - at least Kirby still does this. My Dad bought one when he was 90 yrs old. He gave it to my sister eventually because it was totally unpractical for him. I was not happy!! This was only 3 years ago. I was surprised they still do this.

I was listening to something on NPR not that long ago and they were saying, "who buys an insanely expensive vacuum cleaner from a door-to-door salesperson?" and the answer was that lonely elderly people will and often like having a friendly salesperson spend some time with them. I personally have only had two door-to-door salespeople that I can think of in the last 5-10 years -- one security and another a bug eradication service and both of those have been in my current neighborhood. Salespeople from large organizations are very targeted in where they go (the salesperson from the security company had a list of all the residences and names of the people and knew things like whether each house had a current monitoring contract and when their systems were installed - I know because he said with great confidence that mine was 24 years old, which was astonishingly accurate except that I had had a new one installed just a month previously) which is why (probably) few of us has ever seen a vacuum cleaner salesperson. And it seems weird for the SS neighborhood where the demographic isn't overwhelmingly elderly and where it seems most people have help who are the ones doing the vacuuming anyway. A vacuum cleaner salesperson there seems out of place to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f13d07f350a7f55161ed9e6c97fe9ce7.jpg

First time I've tried to post a picture....

I think the door with the boot print that was described in the SW was in this type of door (not a French door). My house was built in the 20s. I don't think the door is original; my guess it was installed in the 1940s, but in older houses these types of doors are common. We had one in our kitchen in the house in which I grew up. This one goes out to our porch. The keyhole cover is not functional and was added by some previous owner. There is not one on the exterior side. Lest you are getting any ideas we have a large golden retriever.

ETA: It had never occurred to me that anyone would try to kick in this type of door. I always thought that the security weakness is that someone could break a pane of glass and unlock the door. But my security company says that people would rather kick than risk cutting themselves, which is why we have a contact instead of relying on the glass break detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally, while I am doing housekeeping, it seems that people who enjoy deductive reasoning are drawn to this website, and some conclusions are being drawn from my words that are mistaken. I stated that somebody like Wint, pictured with "prison muscles", dreads, on social media in a wifebeater shirt, would be noticed loitering in the SS' neighborhood. Never did I say the area is sacrosanct. The neighborhood is, actually, quite warm and inviting, as well as somewhat ethnically diverse. There are diplomats from all over the world. A 5k out and back run from their house could take you to a mosque, synagogue, Orthodox Church, or nearly to a Quaker meeting hall. Primarily, the folks are limousine liberals and affluent urbanites. People do tend to know who their neighbors are, through kids, dogs and/or flower gardening. Many people choose the neighborhood precisely because it has a sense of community; certainly nobody is there there for the top public schools, new and low maintenance homes, and big yards. I lived about seven city blocks from their home for most of my adult life. I just love the area and know it well. People notice changes and talk about them..

I live closer and I suspect I am more familiar with this neighborhood. Seven blocks in any direction will take you into a very different neighborhood. The mosque, the Quaker meeting house . . . these are in different neighborhoods. Yes, the surrounding neighborhoods are diverse and I would like to believe warm and inviting since I live in one of them. But Mass Ave. Heights, the specific area of this terrible crime, is not like the surrounding neighborhoods or anywhere else in DC for that matter. It is not particularly diverse. There are Black residents but not many and they are either uber wealthy (Vernon Jorden lived there back in the day) or diplomatic families from other countries. The neighborhood is very isolated. There is very little foot traffic. It is eerily quiet and empty. Even after the fire when you would expect a lot of looky-loos, I was there and there was no one standing around except for media and police. No one.

You are referring to Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Cathedral Heights, Dupont Circle. Totally different even though they are nearby.

The part where he (DW) took a cab back to DC. I'm wondering if the crew he was with when arrested lived in DC. The females had a car (which he was in when arrested) and his brother had a truck. Neither vehicle picked him up in NY. So they met in DC it would appear. Interesting. He left NY that same day, a Thursday, right? Because he spent Wednesday with his gf in NY. If I remember reading correctly, he spent Sunday - Wed night with GF. So he purchased money orders on Thursday? And he had to make plans to meet up with all these people. Or someone else set it up and DW was told to meet up with them in DC.

The money order purchase was attributed to one of the women. DW provided the money and the women "innocently" purchased the money orders. Receipts were in the car. He likely phoned his brother to arrange to meet him on arrival in the taxi. US Marshals had been tracking him by his cell phone which apparently had been turned off during the taxi ride. The ping signal apparently renewed somewhere near his arrival in DC and that is how the US Marshals located him at the Hojo hotel.

I suspect the blood spots were not obvious enough for DW or his girlfriend to notice them. Otherwise, even an idiot would know to ditch them. The spots could be minute or caught in creases or ridges that wouldn't be seen if you weren't looking for it. JMO
Blood was in the crevasses of his tennis shoe treads. If it was on the top, even DW would have noticed and tried to clean it off.

The search warrant dated May 22, the day after Wint was arrested, states they are looking for "shoes that contain a tread pattern similar to the picture depicted in Attachment 8." in the Ford truck and Chevy Cruze. Why would they look for a matching shoe if they already have Wint and his shoes in custody. I would think they'd check those shoes against the print immediately. Just a preponderance of caution?
https://www.scribd.com/doc/267779255/Return-After-Search-of-Ford

I'm not sure entry was made through the door with the boot print. I've read that the lock was damaged, but I haven't seen that the door was actually kicked open. I still think the boot print is a red herring.

JMO
They were looking to match the boot print to a second person, not DW. The boot print has not been publicly eliminated as evidence yet and as you say may be a red herring, possibly it is from a first responder and not an accomplice.

Why would the perp(s) take the time to get doggy downers, so as not to harm the dogs, but torture, mutilate and murder the humans? Sounds like a lot of effort to spare the dogs, and my general opinion about DW is that he likes to exert as little effort as possible. My personal opinion is that someone was involved who was known to the dogs.

The dog subject comes up every time in cases like this. For some reason a lot of people think dogs will protect their owners at all cost including attacking and barking loudly. Imo, that is a false sense of security that a lot of people have.

But past murders and even kidnappings has shown us here at WS that dogs are as unpredictable as human beings.

A small dog even seems to bark even more loudly. Maybe its because they are small and have little dog syndrome. lol A dog was sleeping right in the same bed as Jessica Lunsford when she was kidnapped out of her home to be raped and murdered. The dog never made a sound. No one in the home heard a thing and didn't know Jessica was gone until they got up the next morning.

When Joseph Duncan, serial pedophile and murderer came into the Greone home (ALONE) he already knew there were two large aggressive pit-bulls inside the home. He had cased the place out using night vision goggles before going in. He told Shasta Greone during the time he had her kidnapped he expected he would have to kill the two dogs first. But he said when he entered through the sliding glass door the big pits whimpered and ran up under the dining room table and stayed there the entire time he tied up Slade, Mark, and Brenda subsequently bludgeoning all of them to death with a hammer. They never even barked as he was kidnapping Shasta and Dylan. When the case first began/unsolved Shasta's older brother gave an interview and he said he knew a stranger would never be able to get by his aggressive pit bulls however he was totally wrong. That is exactly what a stranger did do.

I have said before dogs have a keen sense to know and feel evil themselves and are as scared of the home invader as much as the victims were.

There have been many cases over the years where there were dogs in the home yet the dogs did not bark or attack and in those cases the perpetrator was a complete stranger to the victims. Children have been kidnapped out of their homes when they had inside dogs and not one person who was in the home with them heard one thing. The dogs they had did not bark.

So the dogs not barking nor attacking doesn't convince me at all that there was someone involved that knew these dogs.

IMO

I noticed the place SS bought his Mosler also sells Land Rovers and other luxury vehicles. I wonder if there's an incentive to buying in Florida vs. Maryland.

http://www.prestigeimports.com/

I believe that Warren Mosler has a presence in Florida, and the Virgin Islands. They were probably friends, and the car was purchased from Mosler in Florida...not many of the cars are made, apparently.
Just google Warren Mosler.

They were looking to match the boot print to a second person, not DW. The boot print has not been publicly eliminated as evidence yet and as you say may be a red herring, possibly it is from a first responder and not an accomplice.

Per the search warrant the first responder footwear HAS been eliminated.
What isn't clear is what shoes he had on when arrested. His gf says he left her home wearing white tennis shoes. He left NYC sometime Wednesday evening and was captured at 11pm Thursday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ders-matches-one-four-victims-police-say.html

The link has video of the arrest. Around :58 seconds you can see his shoes briefly. IMO they don't look like white tennis shoes.

Ditto, Raise my taxes to keep in in jail where he should have been in the first place or deported long before he committed the is crime .

Time to catch up on a few things:

-Someone asked about the new looking curbs and pristine sidewalks. Several years back, I'm guessing during the Williams administration since he was derisively called "The Bean Counter", granite curbs were installed in DC for their near indestructibility and long term cost savings. Also, sidewalks in Upper Northwest tend to be tidy as many helpers sweep outdoors as part of their housekeeping routine.

-Someone asked about the sheet metal used by Mosler. Interestingly, Mosler's coolest engineering feat was constructing the very first super car with a body that was 100% composites. Pretty groovy. (I've developed a crush on this man reading about him. He's primarily a wildly accomplished economist, amazingly! He also runs and has boyish good looks.)

-The mention that this neighborhood is "cold" is so far off base, I am stumped.

-I wonder if the FL tags are because the SS family tries to minimize their DC tax liability. I haven't noticed are other cars registered in DC? FL doesn't have state income tax, and so there may be incentive to keep DC residency ties minimal. Also, there is specific track insurance for cars, so maybe the whole racing registration discussion is unnecessary.

Finally, while I am doing housekeeping, it seems that people who enjoy deductive reasoning are drawn to this website, and some conclusions are being drawn from my words that are mistaken. I stated that somebody like Wint, pictured with "prison muscles", dreads, on social media in a wifebeater shirt, would be noticed loitering in the SS' neighborhood. Never did I say the area is sacrosanct. The neighborhood is, actually, quite warm and inviting, as well as somewhat ethnically diverse. There are diplomats from all over the world. A 5k out and back run from their house could take you to a mosque, synagogue, Orthodox Church, or nearly to a Quaker meeting hall. Primarily, the folks are limousine liberals and affluent urbanites. People do tend to know who their neighbors are, through kids, dogs and/or flower gardening. Many people choose the neighborhood precisely because it has a sense of community; certainly nobody is there there for the top public schools, new and low maintenance homes, and big yards. I lived about seven city blocks from their home for most of my adult life. I just love the area and know it well. People notice changes and talk about them.

Also, it seems someone gathered that because I'm trying to make sense of JW's possible criminal involvement, and whether he might at some point be charged with murder, that I believe that he participated, hands on, in the killing and then sped away in a stolen Porsche. I, in no way, am inclined to think it possible that he was in two places at once. Unless Mosler was as good as DeLorean and Doc Brown, and the car is also a time machine.

Peace.

FWIW, just anecdotal, it's been a few years so things could have changed IDK and I didn't look this up to confirm it is still the case, but when I moved to DC from Florida, my car insurance rates went down considerably. Also, the fee to have the car registered and titled was higher in Florida than in DC. So for me, anyway, it was more expensive to have my car in Florida than it is in DC.

I am not sure how to quote yet but Oceanblueeyes makes a good point on the dogs. I just watched a news special where dog owners were on telling about their dogs ability to protect the family. The news station then put hidden cameras in the home and had a fake "prowler" break in. The dogs, all various breeds, all acted either scared, curious,or oblivious. To the shock of one home owner his German Shepard even brought his ball to the "prowler" to play. But none reacted violently.

What isn't clear is what shoes he had on when arrested. His gf says he left her home wearing white tennis shoes. He left NYC sometime Wednesday evening and was captured at 11pm Thursday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ders-matches-one-four-victims-police-say.html

The link has video of the arrest. Around :58 seconds you can see his shoes briefly. IMO they don't look like white tennis shoes.

I agree. They don't look like white tennis shoes, though it's hard to tell. One thing I thought of was that his gf could have given a false description of him/what he was wearing. So when they were searching for him, they could have said they were looking for a suspect with white tennis shoes/hoodie, etc. but he could have actually been wearing something else and gf lied about it to protect him. Of course, he also could have changed clothes/shoes after leaving NY. However, as someone else pointed out before, it doesn't make sense that he would have changed back into the shoes he wore during the crime (the ones he was arrested in w/ blood on them). I know he has proven himself not to be that bright but come on...why on earth would he a) come back to DC, b) wear the same shoes he wore during the crime c) have knives (that I'm presuming, although I know it hasn't been reported so it's just speculation) that were possibly tied to the crime in the car w/ him??? Why would he not discard the clothes/shoes/weapons after the crime? So weird.

Just thinking about the shoe/boot print on the door. I know this is out there, but I wonder if there was a second person involved inside the home at any time, if that person came later and had to kick the door to gain entry, because DW couldn't leave the victims to let him/her in? Maybe that person was unable to enter via a way he/she thought would be accessible?? Just a thought, IDK.

I agree. They don't look like white tennis shoes, though it's hard to tell. One thing I thought of was that his gf could have given a false description of him/what he was wearing. So when they were searching for him, they could have said they were looking for a suspect with white tennis shoes/hoodie, etc. but he could have actually been wearing something else and gf lied about it to protect him. Of course, he also could have changed clothes/shoes after leaving NY. However, as someone else pointed out before, it doesn't make sense that he would have changed back into the shoes he wore during the crime (the ones he was arrested in w/ blood on them). I know he has proven himself not to be that bright but come on...why on earth would he a) come back to DC, b) wear the same shoes he wore during the crime c) have knives (that I'm presuming, although I know it hasn't been reported so it's just speculation) that were possibly tied to the crime in the car w/ him??? Why would he not discard the clothes/shoes/weapons after the crime? So weird.

It's all strange. You have tens of thousands of dollars yet won't spring for some new shoes? Yet, they found blood from the SS home on his shoes. It will be interesting to see if the knives he had on him are also connected to the crime.
Great point about the gf. She could have given a false/protective description.

I don't think the one being arrested in the video is DW. The arrested person seems too tall. It could be one of the men who was with DW.

I don't think the one being arrested in the video is DW. The arrested person seems too tall. It could be one of the men who was with DW.

It could be. The only videos I can find seem to all have this person though. He's identified as the suspect but not sure how that was confirmed or if the cameraman just focused on who police paid the most attention to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1