DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just kill them that night and take the cars and loot? Cars were worth more than $40K!

He might have thought about that, and I bet he became angry he couldn't have it ALL! He settled for whatever he gathered from the home and the $40K and was angry he didn't come away with more.

Same reason he torched the Porsche - too big of a liability. Plus, I don't think Wint was a very good driver from the description of the how erratically the Porsche was being driven. I don't think he had had a driver license. I think it would have been a huge risk to leave during the night in that neighborhood with security and risk of being pulled over. Wint wanted cash, easy money, not multiple vehicles.

Yea. Way too much trouble to sell the car of the people you just beat to death, have no title for and want cash for

OT...whereabouts in the Piney Woods? My MIL lives on a farm btwn Nacogdoches and Henderson..

Grr. I think of the 39 missed opportunities to report a violent to ICE. Not all of those arrests were for violence, I know, but you'd think after a few traffic crimes, there's be a red flag somewhere that someone got fed up and thought to put a bug in someone's ear. And those 39 were just the legal, there were so many personal reasons to anonymously report him.

Can I just get an AMEN to this post?? I think he gave off enough 'RED FLAGS" that someone should have had the common sense to say to themselves "This guy is not right in the head. He is a danger to himself and society!" :facepalm:

I do remember that the original defense team (PDs) were requesting that information from LE and that was several weeks ago. I wonder why they didn't ask his brother who was reported by name to have been picked up with him that night. If he was the one in the truck who was giving the orders to the women, he should know their names. It was posted that because criminal types are so fond of street names, DW may not have known the others' real names. He also may not have known them if hired by the person in the truck. I reallllly don't believe you wouldn't know the names of people who have their paws on "your" enormous cash wads without knowing how to get them if they steal some.

Nicknames are so convenient, lol. I like watching police interviews where the criminal says he doesn't know their real names, only their street/nicknames only to later give up the real names they've known all along.

I do know LE keeps track of street names so they can input those to see what comes up.

It's hard to imagine DW not talking to lawyers at all unless he's going to plead guilty without implicating anyone else. Otherwise, how could he possibly expect to be defended if he doesn't cooperate with his lawyers at least. He knew he didn't want Ficker, his family seemed to have forced Hanover on him and now he wants the PDs again.

I just wondered if there's been actual report, article or statement from anybody his lawyers, LE, MSM's super secret sources that declare he's not talking. :)

I have some ideas of how to make him talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. Way too much trouble to sell the car of the people you just beat to death, have no title for and want cash for

OT...whereabouts in the Piney Woods? My MIL lives on a farm btwn Nacogdoches and Henderson..

I don't live too far from Nacogdoches - only 50 miles or so - beautiful country. And Lufkin about the same distance - remember Israel Keyes? I freaked when they caught him Lufkin. I followed Samantha Koenig's case and when this guy disappeared from Alaska and was suddenly on the mainland in EAST TEXAS - I was sooo thankful he was stopped in Lufkin. If he had made it to Mexico or even into the Davy Crockett National Forest he would have had it made. I wonder if he had been there before and had a stash in the forest. I PM'd you too!

Caught Jesse Matthews here in Texas too! I can't remember how one law man described his capture... something it being a place these types come when they have no where else to run.... Scary!

Let's pray Wint doesn't go anywhere. He scares the beejeebers out of me too!

Off to eat a bite. Hubby was a sweetheart tonight and made some beer-battered Gulf Coast shrimp...

Here's to the 20th being a good day for us to learn some more about Wint! Crossing my fingers and toes!

Grr. I think of the 39 missed opportunities to report a violent to ICE. Not all of those arrests were for violence, I know, but you'd think after a few traffic crimes, there's be a red flag somewhere that someone got fed up and thought to put a bug in someone's ear. And those 39 were just the legal, there were so many personal reasons to anonymously report him.

CNN reported that when DW's was arrested in March 2015, his fingerprints were not in the FBI database and thus he was not reported to ICE.

03/23/15 Receiving Stolen Property http://wtop.com/dc/2015/06/report-d-c-murder-suspect-wints-cousin-worked-victims-company/
Fingerprints not in FBI database
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/politics/daron-wint-dc-mansion-murder-cnn-documentary/
The Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said it ran Wint's fingerprints in March in the FBI database, which was supposed to automatically flag ICE, but the immigration officials were never notified, officials said.
"If Daron Wint was arrested in March and (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) never received those fingerprints until he's arrested for quadruple homicide, it's an indicator there's a breakdown in system to me," said John Torres, former ICE special agent in charge. "Had ICE been notified they would have looked at Daron Wint's history and undertook a legal review to determine whether or not he was eligible for removal."

CNN reported that when DW's was arrested in March 2015, his fingerprints were not in the FBI database and thus he was not reported to ICE.

03/23/15 Receiving Stolen Property http://wtop.com/dc/2015/06/report-d-c-murder-suspect-wints-cousin-worked-victims-company/
Fingerprints not in FBI database
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/politics/daron-wint-dc-mansion-murder-cnn-documentary/
The Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said it ran Wint's fingerprints in March in the FBI database, which was supposed to automatically flag ICE, but the immigration officials were never notified, officials said.
"If Daron Wint was arrested in March and (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) never received those fingerprints until he's arrested for quadruple homicide, it's an indicator there's a breakdown in system to me," said John Torres, former ICE special agent in charge. "Had ICE been notified they would have looked at Daron Wint's history and undertook a legal review to determine whether or not he was eligible for removal."

Yes, I read that before. I'm referring to any of the previous 38 arrests and more court appearances than that. I noticed that the article made no reference to anything other than that recent arrest.

If repeated scofflaw traffic issues weren't enough to prove that he had no regard or respect for the laws of the U.S., then certainly the first time he was arrested and convicted for actual violence and death threats should have. One would reasonably expect that.

Yes, I read that before. I'm referring to any of the previous 38 arrests and more court appearances than that. I noticed that the article made no reference to anything other than that recent arrest.

If repeated scofflaw traffic issues weren't enough to prove that he had no regard or respect for the laws of the U.S., then certainly the first time he was arrested and convicted for actual violence and death threats should have. One would reasonably expect that.

You are right we thought that was how it worked and we expected that it did. Wint could be deported for criminal convictions, not traffic offenses. ICE relies on states and local enforcement officers to report fingerprints of arrestees to FBI's AFIS data base. They then match fingerprints by computer processes to see if the person reported is a citizen, a legal resident alien, or a non-legal immigrant. When there is a match ICE is supposed to follow up on the case. They can't rely on the arrestee to self-report because people are not truthful. However, ICE has matching biometric information for all legal resident aliens. It is a system that is designed to catch illegal aliens and legal Green Card holders who have criminal convictions but it works only when everyone does their job.

Just a week ago the Obama administration and the DHS announced changes in ICE priorities to improve this process and place criminals as the top priority of ICE enforcement efforts. There are also situations like sanctuary cities that will report arrests of illegal aliens only if ICE obtains a warrant. This competition between federal and local LE agencies for authority is legend.

No mystery to me and I don't believe there was any agenda other than using the child as leverage. It is ultimately more effective than torturing the adults.
Philip was a means to an end.

This is not to say that DW did or did not enjoy it; I just believe that he didn't care one way or another. Nothing personal about their child, purely business in his mind.

I firmly believe he may have enjoyed the torture of SS especially (the psychological in addition to physical), but I don't believe he had personal issues for Philip other than as leverage.

I'm torn between DW being a monster with zero feelings for anybody else and DW being a monster that enjoyed sadism.

I'm torn between DW being a monster with zero feelings for anybody else and DW being a monster that enjoyed sadism. ---- aren't these one and the same, not mutually exclusive?

I think it's pretty straight forward. One has to sell cars and valuables. That's how a lot of criminals get caught, by trying to sell their loot.
I presume DW thought cash was much safer. Especially considering he and his group of friends were converting cash into money orders and then cashing these money orders.
So that would make this cash untraceable (and that assuming it was traceable to begin with).
I don't think he wanted to get caught.
I think he was trying to commit the perfect crime. Unfortunately for him, the whole house didn't burn down.

Well, if you want to be "safe" why spend the night?

Now, that would be quite ironic, if he thought cash was safer...nothing about this crime was safe, IMO. Breaking into a house with a security system, multiple vehicles in the driveway, and large dogs in the back yard, during daylight hours...not so safe, IMO. He held four people hostage, overnight. He had AS call for pizza to be delivered. He allowed SS to make and answer some calls, leave a voice message,and arrange for ransom money to be delivered to the house. He left DNA and other incriminating evidence at the scene of the crime, drove off in and was in possession of a stolen vehicle for several hours. He also torched the car, in a parking lot, in broad daylight. That's a whole lot of irony, for someone who was concerned about being safe...IMO. That aside, I agree with the rest of the post. You're right, IMO... He probably thought he had committed the perfect crime, until he heard that the house didn't burn down. He also probably never thought he would be caught, until he saw his face on tv.
I think it's pretty straight forward. One has to sell cars and valuables. That's how a lot of criminals get caught, by trying to sell their loot.
I presume DW thought cash was much safer. Especially considering he and his group of friends were converting cash into money orders and then cashing these money orders.
So that would make this cash untraceable (and that assuming it was traceable to begin with).
I don't think he wanted to get caught.
I think he was trying to commit the perfect crime. Unfortunately for him, the whole house didn't burn down.

I'm torn between DW being a monster with zero feelings for anybody else and DW being a monster that enjoyed sadism. ---- aren't these one and the same, not mutually exclusive?

Sadly, in my opinion they're not the same. The end result can be the same as what happened here, though. The method to get there can differ.
A sadist actually enjoys causing pain and degradation.
Someone who doesn't care what someone else feels or thinks, is a monster, too, but more psychopath in my uneducated opinion.

One cares, one doesn't.*

*Disclaimer: I'm not a mental health professional and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I am leaning more towards 'monster' because of some of his past history. He reportedly threatened to kill his entire family, including his 8 yr old lil sister. WHO does that? His father must have taken it seriously enough that he got a Restraining Order.

And he threatened to stab an infant to death, when he was angry with his girlfriend. Only a sadist would even imagine stabbing an infant, while bragging that he was good with knives.

I don't think he has zero feelings for others. I know people like that and it wouldn't occur to them to verbally threaten a tiny baby, just to watch one's ex erupt with fear. I think he LOVES the feelings he gets when he can scare someone, threaten them, and then stab them repeatedly.

I have trouble receiving or sending calls in Wal-Mart, Lowe's and the local hospital. There are certain areas in the hospital where you can receive a signal and others where no signal can be obtained. I have Verizon and a smart phone. (Can you hear me now?) It is only later when I am outside or even in the car heading home when my phone will say "DROID" and show a missed call. If all the volumes are turned down as you cannot have a cell phone ring in the hospital, then eventually I will have a flashing light to show that I missed a call.

I think JW thought Mr. Savopoulos was busy opening the dojo and he was not expecting another call from him so soon.

JW was at Lowes picking up supplies for the dojo, I believe. Whether expecting a call or not, it seems the type of job for which said employee would be ever watchful in case his employer had a new task for him, IMO.

IMO The formal search warrants were issued on 15 May. You can safely assume police got permission or else got a search warrant to look at JW's phone on the spot on 14 May. They wouldn't want him to have time to erase anything or accidently lose the phone before the following week's thorough search of the car.

Formal warrant for JW cell phone was signed on the 18th and executed on the 28th. LE requested of him on the 14th to scroll thru his phone and he gave permission for that.

Now, that would be quite ironic, if he thought cash was safer...nothing about this crime was safe, IMO. Breaking into a house with a security system, multiple vehicles in the driveway, and large dogs in the back yard, during daylight hours...not so safe, IMO. He held four people hostage, overnight. He had AS call for pizza to be delivered. He allowed SS to make and answer some calls, leave a voice message,and arrange for ransom money to be delivered to the house. He left DNA and other incriminating evidence at the scene of the crime, drove off in and was in possession of a stolen vehicle for several hours. He also torched the car, in a parking lot, in broad daylight. That's a whole lot of irony, for someone who was concerned about being safe...IMO. That aside, I agree with the rest of the post. You're right, IMO... He probably thought he had committed the perfect crime, until he heard that the house didn't burn down. He also probably never thought he would be caught, until he saw his face on tv.

I agree...nothing about this crime was safe or convenient. I also am back to wondering why this particular family. They weren't the richest. They weren't the ones with the most lax security in all of DC. The Wint connection to AIW was in the past and no doubt there were other people that angered DW in the intervening years. Is SS the only wealthy person in the world that DW disliked or had a negative interaction with in the last ten years? Maybe. But I think there was a catalyzing event that made him pick this family, this year, for this crime.

Totally could be his assumption since no more details were specified about the call! Which is, itself, an Interesting question: why wouldn't it be specified if a convo took place. That seems pretty significant since it was the last call from SS's phone. If the call was indeed answered, I wonder what the call was for! And if it was SS on behalf of DW, or just DW. Or if it was a VM, what that VM directed JW to do.

What could have either SS or DW wanted from JW an hour and a half after drop off and an hour before the fire? So many missing pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, everything you just said. Details have been a lot better in regard to other VM/texts. I really don't care that editors are trying to get "the main idea" across to the average reader. It's still bad reporting and the Washington Post writers, at least some of them, are actually assigned to a category called "Crime". If that is your assigned specialty, I think a better job could be done. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1