DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He wouldn't have been watching the news with his NY GF when he found out he was a suspect. He learned that when he was still in MD (maybe sitting on his dad's porch) and then took off for NY. I am still flabbergasted that he was just chilling, thinking LE would never suspect him...
He didn't leave for New York until May 20 according to his girlfriend. May 20 Wednesday - W
Police looked into whether Wint spent the night at this girlfriend's home in Brooklyn, a law enforcement official said. She told police he arrived by bus Wednesday night. http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/dc-house-fire-money-motive/

Why would you have a doorbell or intercom on the garage, since those are usually used at pedestrian doors? What would be the purpose? I mean, if he's talking about how you enter the house? And even if that wasn't weird to have on a garage door, wouldn't he mention that as a means to get in instead of a keypad? I think he did some other project for them (not the garage), or a subcontractor did the garage work, or he has a terrible memory, or was misquoted, or asked the question in a strange way or that there is some other explanation.

I thought it odd at first. Guests who park on that street or in the driveway (assuming there was room)? or delivery people. Honest to gosh, there still exist those houses that have a "delivery doorbell". That's not a reflection of the inhabitants, just the era of the house.

I'm so glad that others find this bizarre, like I do. I have a remote in my car, but I also have a keypad. I agree with you, on this being a keypad. Where I live, most people have them, because they are such a convenience. I don't have to worry about locking myself out of my house, Lol. I can tell that you do not like that parking situation, Lol I agree...it seems like I'm always just barely running on time or a little behind time. I would not have the time nor the patience to have someone move a vehicle for me to get out. I have a circle drive, and that's where I have my guests park, so they will not be in my way, if I need to get out.
Sigh, I'm going to have to put "contractor did not remember an electronic keypad and did not have code" on my list of bizarreness surrounding this case. I'm pretty sure there is one, though. It would be so insanely inconvenient to have to have a remote in hand at all times if you wanted to get into the garage from outside. Of course, I'm a woman who also would take one look at that parking mess and conclude we needed to get rid of four of our cars.

Was driving today and saw this and wondered "what's TEXMEX having for dinner?"
d722ae611bf809625541141d573c873f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. IIRC, on the 20/20 episode... the man they were interviewing (he was a federal marshal), stated that they were about to surround the gf's apt/home, when DW apparently saw his face on tv. At that point, he fled the gf's. He said that they barely missed him.
He didn't leave for New York until May 20 according to his girlfriend. May 20 Wednesday - W
Police looked into whether Wint spent the night at this girlfriend's home in Brooklyn, a law enforcement official said. She told police he arrived by bus Wednesday night. http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/dc-house-fire-money-motive/

Was driving today and saw this and wondered "what's TEXMEX having for dinner?"
d722ae611bf809625541141d573c873f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tonight was some redfish I caught Sunday.
Then dessert is

image.jpg
Apple dumplings

A doorbell on a garage? Amazing how opinions take legs on this forum. :laughing: :tantrum:

A doorbell to announce a delivery. It's not unheard of. The homeowner can open the garage door and delivery made through the garage into the house. Lido Isle, California, old homes in Pasadena and Beverly Hills have doorbells located either on the side of the sill like shown (it may be a keypad, not according to the contractor) or on the wall outside of the garage.

Go ahead and laugh, they exist. :)

A doorbell on a garage? Amazing how opinions take legs on this forum. :laughing: :tantrum:

Yes because they didn't have a door. Door bell/intercom. I see these a lot in Georgetown and other nice homes in DC.

SS exterior garage door opener.png

Something like these:

922450.jpgnutone_90_2.jpg

Yes because they didn't have a door. Door bell/intercom. I see these a lot in Georgetown and other nice homes in DC.

I believe you, but it's just so weird (for a West Coaster). Garages in DC even have doorbells when the front door (likely with doorbell) is located so near to the garage? I have seen intercoms with doorbells on the exterior of houses/apts in San Francisco when there is a gate preventing people from walking up stairs to the door. (Because of how narrow and close together the residences tend to be, that doorbell would inevitably be near the garage, but it really wouldn't be a doorbell for the garage.) It seems like such a wealthy family with advanced things like a safe room would have the latest technology and not rely on a doorbell for entrance to the garage. But, of course, all speculation and I don't know the area or homes.

View attachment 78202
Something like these:

View attachment 78203View attachment 78204

Savvas was an engineer/ lawyer who loved cars enough to trade in his original Porsche with low mileage to purchase one with automatic transmission. I can not imagine that he would not invest in an automatic garage door opener. Door bell intercoms make sense on an entry door, not on a lower level garage. It would be impractical and technologically 40 years out of date.

A doorbell to announce a delivery. It's not unheard of. The homeowner can open the garage door and delivery made through the garage into the house. Lido Isle, California, old homes in Pasadena and Beverly Hills have doorbells located either on the side of the sill like shown (it may be a keypad, not according to the contractor) or on the wall outside of the garage.

Go ahead and laugh, they exist. :)

It's a small detail and it seems there is no way for us to know unless we could walk up and take a close look to determine whether it's a keypad or doorbell, but it seems so weird that a delivery person couldn't take what looks like the walk of, what, 20 feet? to ring the front doorbell. It would make more sense if the garage was on the opposite side of the house or if it was needed to gain entry to the driveway. Was it a status symbol at some time? Like a "servants entrance"?

Savvas was an engineer/ lawyer who loved cars enough to trade in his original Porsche with low mileage to purchase one with automatic transmission. I can not imagine that he would not invest in an automatic garage door opener. Door bell intercoms make sense on an entry door, not on a lower level garage. It would be impractical and technologically 40 years out of date.

True. Plus I doubt he'd want looky loo delivery guys wandering around his beautiful, expensive red Mosler.

BTW, and hopefully this won't get snipped for being off-subject, but just to show that ANYTHING can happen, I had mentioned awhile ago that there was a case where a seemingly nice woman and her boyfriend faked her kidnapping in CA to scandal her dad out of, I believe, an amount of ransom money that was very specific and small, like $8200. (It was a done deal. Like "Gone Girl" she faked her own trauma.) It turns out that now, months and months later, the FBI have apprehended a psychopathic Harvard-educated lawyer using the exact same ludicrous kidnapping tactics that the woman reported--involving swimming goggles and weird stuff. The police still believe it was a farce. The FBI now believe it was a real kidnapping. You just never know.

True. Plus I doubt he'd want looky loo delivery guys wandering around his beautiful, expensive red Mosler.

I would think not! You don't want the riff raff checking out a $700k car!

I would think not! You don't want the riff raff checking out a $700k car!

Hell, if I wandered into the garage I'd most likely go over and walk around it, look inside...run my hand longingly down...well you get the idea..it's a very rare car and people would want to check it out.

I believe you, but it's just so weird (for a West Coaster). Garages in DC even have doorbells when the front door (likely with doorbell) is located so near to the garage? I have seen intercoms with doorbells on the exterior of houses/apts in San Francisco when there is a gate preventing people from walking up stairs to the door. (Because of how narrow and close together the residences tend to be, that doorbell would inevitably be near the garage, but it really wouldn't be a doorbell for the garage.) It seems like such a wealthy family with advanced things like a safe room would have the latest technology and not rely on a doorbell for entrance to the garage. But, of course, all speculation and I don't know the area or homes.

The garage isn't close to the front door to me. This was like their back door.

I think you might be wrong. There were remotes but maybe this infamous contractor was so slow that he never got it like he wanted it. This in my opinion is why the garage door was left unopen most of the time. I think it's also why construction was being done - to add proper back /side /more casual entry. I believe it was in the contractor's construction permit filings.

Do we know when the safe room was added to the home? If it was fairly recent could there have been a threat made against the family?

I think you might be wrong. There were remotes but maybe this infamous contractor was so slow that he never got it like he wanted it. This in my opinion is why the garage door was left unopen most of the time. I think it's also why construction was being done - to add proper back /side /more casual entry. I believe it was in the contractor's construction permit filings.

It doesn't require a contractor to install a remote control garage opener, one screw in the wall to hang it and ten minutes to program it, bingo. Even a millionaire could do it and wouldn't have to tell the world that it was there, not even his infamous contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz