DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou:

I believe the judge used to be a defense attorney, so that might be why she gave Ago such leeway. JMO

:welcome: SO glad you are here.

Thank you, rkf. That's very kind of you.

The judge's background certainly gives her a broader perspective but she is not a pushover for either side. Not that you implied that. :innocent: She can be tough but she is always fair and smart and will make sure Ago is able to present a complete defense.

Kammie, yes. That's the general idea. It's not newer information that would be irrelevant to negating PC but rather charges not yet brought or lines of inquiry that wouldn't negate PC for DW. That can be tricky if they all sort of meld together into one crime. But since we haven't been privy to the bench conferences it may be that Ago convinced the court to let him probe a bit into other areas.

Thanks! Does this include any additional charges against DW and any charges against anyone else? (From what I understand it is impossible that anyone else would be have charges against them without it being made public at this point, specifically in the PH--just hoping for confirmation.) thx again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which he did with the pizza! Who knows maybe that was SS's plan to get DNA.

Absolutely ... that crust is key evidence. I would like to believe Savvas FOUGHT to the end even if he couldn't physically.

I also like to imagine if given a chance over all that time to use the restroom that they could somehow lhave left notes or words to one another in soap or gel under a cabinet or something. Wishful thinking on my part that they somehow could have tried to comfort one another even during all the EVILNESS.

The judge's background ceetainly gives her a broader perspective but she is not a pushover for either side. Not that you implied that. :innocent: She can be tough but she is always fair and smart and will make sure Ago is able to present a complete defense.

What's your impression of Laura Bach of USAO?

Since he hadn't been flagged, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know his immigration status could be in peril. Maybe he was trying to bring someone here from Guyana.

He was supposed to have been flagged. They made a mistake by not flagging him.
So he could have easily believed he could be deported.

He was supposed to have been flagged. They made a mistake by not flagging him.
So he could have easily believed he could be deported.

I still feel like he'd wait to be served notice. He could've gotten legal counsel then.

Not sure if anyone has answered you yet but, yes, there would be an attorney client privilege. If it can be established the money came from the ransom proceeds then I'm sure the lawyer will have to return the money if he hasn't already done so - though I doubt he would have billed much against the retainer in any event.

Thanks JayMac, as I figured consideration was exchanged to form the attorney client privilege. I suppose I'm curious what DW was seeking? His family also hired an immigration attorney Hanover. I can't tell if he was trying to get out of country or stay in. Which really wont matter now, it's a curiosity. TY

Katy, you're correct in that if there had been other arrests they would be known - if people are paying attention. I'm sure Ago knows the names of the convoy members from his client.

All arrestees who have been held have to be presented before a judicial officer in court within 48 hours. The case is papered by the USAO and the charges start through the system or no papered (dismissed). There are some arrested on misdemeanors and/or traffic charges released at the precinct to return to court from anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks later. At this date I don't see this applying to the convoy.

If a co-defendant had been arested then it would be public. We don't have secret arrests. Of course, I don't know all their names but others must know.

If a member of Wint's convoy had been arrested or charged then we'd also know that. For them, I suspect either they convinced the USAO they were assisting in Wint's surrender or they are cooperating enough that no charges are being considered or any charges will be dealt with at a later time. If any of them were subpoened to the grand jury then they would have been appointed attorneys for 5th Amendment purposes even if no charges are contemplated. If charges are contemplated then the 5th Am. atty would be working on that in conjunction with their testimony - if they do testify. The USAO is not going to reveal its witnesses until it has to.

Is there a strategic reason why they might hold off on charging any convoy members until DW's trial is complete?

So if he hadn't been flagged why would he feel such an urgent need to hire an immigration attorney....... So dire that he'd commit the worst crime he's ever committed (that we know of)---torture, kill four people, burn a house, steal a car and burn it right by his residence? This is not making sense to me! He doesn't seem like a guy who would worry about an attorney until the 11th hour when ICE came calling on him. Was he that much of a planner to be pre-emptively working just in case he got flagged....yet not plan this crime better?

I think he hired an immigration attorney to bring someone into the country - gf, child, partner in crime, other relative...
JMO

So if he hadn't been flagged why would he feel such an urgent need to hire an immigration attorney....... So dire that he'd commit the worst crime he's ever committed (that we know of)---torture, kill four people, burn a house, steal a car and burn it right by his residence? This is not making sense to me! He doesn't seem like a guy who would worry about an attorney until the 11th hour when ICE came calling on him. Was he that much of a planner to be pre-emptively working just in case he got flagged....yet not plan this crime better?

DW may have jumped to the wrong conclusion he was being deported. He may have acted as though it was true because he believed it. Am I making sense?

I still feel like he'd wait to be served notice. He could've gotten legal counsel then.

He and his family are clearly concerned about deportation. To the point that they hired an immigration lawyer to represent him in his murder trial.

The judge's background certainly gives her a broader perspective but she is not a pushover for either side. Not that you implied that. :innocent: She can be tough but she is always fair and smart and will make sure Ago is able to present a complete defense.

I think she sounds like an excellent judge - would be wonderful if every trial had someone like her at the helm.

Will the indictment(s) be made public after DW's grand jury appearance?

Thanks! Does this include any additional charges against DW and any charges against anyone else? (From what I understand it is impossible that anyone else would be have charges against them without it being made public at this point, specifically in the PH--just hoping for confirmation.) thx again.

If an attorney can convince the judge that a question or line of questioning somehow can negate the charges that exist at the time then the judge can allow it. It is really a case by case situation so it's hard to answer. Depends on questions, on judge, on if the prosecutor is objecting (sometimes they are constantly objecting), etc.

It will be interesting to read the transcript if I have time. Hard to comment otherwise. Similarly with the interviews of JW, without seeing the interviewsand the questions asked, how they were asked and how they were answered I'm unwilling to call him a liar. I hope they had the presence of mind to videotape them - though I can just hear the excuses now.

DW may have jumped to the wrong conclusion he was being deported. He may have acted as though it was true because he believed it. Am I making sense?

And he should have been flagged for deportation. They made a mistake. Somebody could have told him he was going to be flagged.

So he's thinking about his future logically on the one hand......yet committing the most heinous crime in his personal history? These conflicting perceptions of DW don't jive.

^ Absolutely right, they don't jive. Not saying DDW consistently uses logic of a law abiding person.

I think she sounds like an excellent judge - would be wonderful if every trial had someone like her at the helm.

Will the indictment(s) be made public after DW's grand jury appearance?

Indictments are filed with the court. So as soon as it's filed everyone will have access to it. Then they will set an arraignment date (formal charges are read to defendant - his attorney enters not guilty pleas). If the indictment is ready close to the Status Hearing set for late September then they'll probably just convert that date to arraignment.

DW isn't going to the GJ. It's civilian witnesses, police witnesses, the ME, maybe documents, etc. When the AUSA has completed presenting its evidence to the grand jurors they vote out a bill of indictment or don't vote out a bill. The USAO still has about 7-8 months left to indict.

I think he hired an immigration attorney to bring someone into the country - gf, child, partner in crime, other relative...
JMO

If one is going to sponsor an immigrant, sponsor needs to show that he/she can support that person. Maybe the money he was going to put into a bank account to use as an asset.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo...ents-sponsor-immigrant-affidavit-support.html

The sponsoring relative must be able to show a specific level of financial capacity: namely that he or she has income or assets that reach at least 125% of the federal Poverty Guidelines levels for a family of the appropriate size. This includes everyone living in the sponsor's household as as well as the primary immigrant and his or her spouse or children if they are immigrating at the same time.

He and his family are clearly concerned about deportation. To the point that they hired an immigration lawyer to represent him in his murder trial.

After being in the U.S. 14 years it seemed he wanted to stay. His immediate family is here. His gf in NYC. He could also IMO have legal issues he'd face if he was sent back. Who knows...maybe he'd attacked people there and if sent back be charged or face retribution from their families. Guyana has high unemployment and the economy is primarily farming/mining and that doesn't seem to fit DW's style. The whole country is less than 1,00,000 population
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member