DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UP in smoke with the Porsche.

I agree burned in the Porsche. If we determined the backpack is NOT the red bag, then the bag could have been placed inside the envelope before it was placed inside the Mosler.

An envelope seems more inconspicuous than a red bag IMHO.

I was totally speculating that there mght have been some confusion. In the affidavit, the bag was referred to as red-lined, and the black Herschel backpack likely had some form of red lining. But in the PH, Owens did say JW referred to his bag a red bag. He also said LE didn't ask JW about the bag, which is kind of weird since they were searching for it. My guess is, if the black backpack isn't the red-lined (or, red) bag, then JW must have dropped it somewhere that day--maybe even the Mosler (even though I think he said he put the $$ in an envelope from his car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For whatever reason, IMO, LE believed that the "red bag" was extremely significant to this crime.
It was included in the search warrants for JW and DW. Like facundo I think that red bag burned with the Porsche. Jmo
In JW first account, he said the money was delivered in a red bag. Ok....he admitted he lied and then said the money was delivered in an envelope from his car. Ok...

I want to know why JW tried to distance himself away from the red bag. It almost seem like sticking to his first account would've been perceived more as the truth than him having a spare manila envelope in his car to put the money in.

I personally think that JW first account is the most accuarate..not the second.

When and how did LE come to know about the red bag???
And did they know about the red bag before they interviewed JW??

I agree burned in the Porsche. If we determined the backpack is NOT the red bag, then the bag could have been placed inside the envelope before it was placed inside the Mosler.

Good point to consider - "If we determined the backpack is NOT the red bag, then the bag could have been placed inside the envelope before it was placed inside the Mosler."

About the bag "UP in smoke with the Porsche." - I think much of the Porsche did not go up in smoke, especially since it was reported that the neon green construction vest was found inside the burned Porsche and Wint's DNA was found on that vest.

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/07/dc-quadruple-murder-suspect-due-court/
Investigators testified that they found a second sample of Wint’s DNA from a vest inside Amy Savopoulos’ stolen car. Her burned Porsche was left in New Carrollton with a neon green construction vest inside.

This is true. If his last story was correct, he should have it. If was a lie/mistake, he could have dropped the bag somewhere with the money and it ended up in the Porsche or otherwise with DW (and/or co). My apologies for spec that the Herschel could have been the red-lined bag. Owens stated in the PH that no red-lined bag was found in the BMW!

ITA.

That's why I don't believe the last story. Like you said, if the last story was correct...he should've still had the bag. LE didn't't find one in his car. Soooo where did it go? If it was burned up in the Porsche, how did it get in the Porsche? If it never left JW possession during the drop off?
That's why I feel JW first story including the red bag would've been more plausible. But he backed away from it. Why??

Why would one tell a lie to cover up the truth?

It would have to be a pretty small bag for it to fit into a manila envelope. Since it was JW's red bag, I'm sorta thinking it wasn't a little money/bank bag, but a bigger one normally used to carry things other than cash. (Since I don't think he had a heads up he was getting cash--just a package.)

ITA.
That's why I don't believe the last story. Like you said, if the last story was correct...he should've still had the bag. LE didn't't find one in his car. Soooo where did it go? If it was burned up in the Porsche, how did it get in the Porsche? If it never left JW possession during the drop off?
That's why I feel JW first story including the red bag would've been more plausible. But he backed away from it. Why??
Why would one tell a lie to cover up the truth?

JW might not have lied. LE might have gotten confused about the details he told them.

Has anyone been able to determine what is shown in the back of the truck during the news video after the arrest? I see the red mechanic box of tools but there almost looks like a small safe (likely my imagination) and some boxes and cords thrown against it. What are your thoughts on this and thanks so much!

Has anyone been able to determine what is shown in the back of the truck during the news video after the arrest? I see the red mechanic box of tools but there almost looks like a small safe (likely my imagination) and some boxes and cords thrown against it. What are your thoughts on this and thanks so much!

This picture may help examination of the truck. I see five boxes, a tool chest, electric cord, and some blue clothing, possibly mechanic's coveralls. I don't see a safe. Wint Arrest Truck13.jpg

Thank you so much! I now see a box which in a smaller screen shot looked to me like a small safe. I couldn't enlarge the photo and my imagination got the best of me so thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it!

I'm relatively new to WebSleuths (started when Hannah Graham was missing--RIP). I especially enjoy reading threads where there are people with much higher levels of computer skills than I have sleuthing the real lives and virtual lives of arrested alleged perpetrators. What has puzzled me about this thread is that I've seen so little sleuthing of the actual arrested person in this case. I know I don't have the skills to this and maybe no one else does either but -- can no one find out about DDW's life in Guyana before the age of 20 when he moved to the U.S.? I have seen some very helpful information about his various arrests and the restraining orders etc here in the U.S. and thank you to the people who have uncovered that info. But if sleuthing his Guyana life is allowable and anyone can do that that would be awesome. Because frankly I'm really sick of reading about the red bag.

Good point to consider - "If we determined the backpack is NOT the red bag, then the bag could have been placed inside the envelope before it was placed inside the Mosler."

About the bag "UP in smoke with the Porsche." - I think much of the Porsche did not go up in smoke, especially since it was reported that the neon green construction vest was found inside the burned Porsche and Wint's DNA was found on that vest.

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/07/dc-quadruple-murder-suspect-due-court/
Investigators testified that they found a second sample of Wint’s DNA from a vest inside Amy Savopoulos’ stolen car. Her burned Porsche was left in New Carrollton with a neon green construction vest inside.

I don't know about that! I saw images of the Porsche and that fire was strong! Not sure how in the world they got DNA from vest in the Porsche!
fcc3b5e8aa7031e691f5b01e95dba58b.jpg

I don't know about that! I saw images of the Porsche and that fire was strong! Not sure how in the world they got DNA from vest in the Porsche!
fcc3b5e8aa7031e691f5b01e95dba58b.jpg

If he splashed gasoline all around the outside of the car, imo, it might look from a picture that the entire vehicle was in flame. But maybe it was just burning hot where all of the accelerant was dropped. And the inside might be somewhat intact?

If he splashed gasoline all around the outside of the car, imo, it might look from a picture that the entire vehicle was in flame. But maybe it was just burning hot where all of the accelerant was dropped. And the inside might be somewhat intact?

I imagine it wasn't flaming for very long, and if "investigators found a sample of Wint's DNA from a vest inside the car", then inside of the car would have not been completely incinerated. They may have found more intact items than just the vest.

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/07/dc-quadru...ect-due-court/
Investigators testified that they found a second sample of Wint’s DNA from a vest inside Amy Savopoulos’ stolen car. Her burned Porsche was left in New Carrollton with a neon green construction vest inside

Apparently they did get DNA from the vest in the Porsche, per testimony at the Preliminary Hearing:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/272950986/D-Wint-Savopoulos-Preliminary-Hearing
Page 11
Q Was that Porsche later recovered?
A Yes, it was.
Q And where was that Porsche or what condition was that Porsche recovered?
A The Porsche had been set on fire and burned.
Q Were any items of clothing recovered from the Porsche?
A Yes, it was a neon green construction visibility vest.

Q I'm sorry?
A Recovered from the vehicle.
Q And was DNA testing done on that vest?
A Yes.

Q And is -- did you speak with the analyst about that testing?
A Yes, I did.
Q And did she determine that there was a partial DNA profile from that vest that consisted of a mixture of at least three people?
A Yes, three people, two major contributors, one to decedent Savvas Savopoulos, and the other two to the defendant Daron Wint.
Q So the defendant Daron Wint and Savvas Savopoulos, their profiles are consistent with the DNA that was recovered from the vest?
A Yes, that's correct.

UP in smoke with the Porsche.

JW didn't say he left the red bag in the Mosler - just the manila envelope full of money. As I understand it, the bag should still be in JW's possession.

This is true. If his last story was correct, he should have it. If was a lie/mistake, he could have dropped the bag somewhere with the money and it ended up in the Porsche or otherwise with DW (and/or co). My apologies for spec that the Herschel could have been the red-lined bag. Owens stated in the PH that no red-lined bag was found in the BMW!

No apology necessary. I still think the backpack could be the red lined bag, although unlikely if the red bag and the red lined bag are one and the same. Impossible for us to know without seeing the photo texted. Makes sense that if LE retrieved the correct red lined bag from JW's BMW, they wouldn't still be looking for it in the Chevy Cruze and Amerit truck SWs. The BMW SW was issued on May 15th but not executed until May 21st. The Ford/Chevy SW was issued on May 22nd and executed on May 26th. Is it possible the results of the BMW SW, requested by Detective Richmond, weren't known by the time Detective Fulton asked for the Ford/Chevy SW?

I still can't imagine what type of red bag belonged to JW that could fit all $40,000 and would also fit in a manila envelope. I understand 4 stacks of 100s isn't that big, but a manila envelope isn't that big either. I wouldn't expect JW to have his own "bank bag" and how useful is a small red bag to a young man in general? Why would he bring this particular bag to the package pick up, if he didn't know the package would be money until he arrived at AIW? I have a hard time believing neither Detective Owens nor other detectives asked JW about the red bag at any time since their first interview with him. The only reason I can think of to not ask about it is if they already have the red bag. If they were asking for it in the SWs, it would seem they didn't know where the bag was on the 21st or 22nd of May.

For whatever reason, IMO, LE believed that the "red bag" was extremely significant to this crime.
It was included in the search warrants for JW and DW. Like facundo I think that red bag burned with the Porsche. Jmo
In JW first account, he said the money was delivered in a red bag. Ok....he admitted he lied and then said the money was delivered in an envelope from his car. Ok...

I want to know why JW tried to distance himself away from the red bag. It almost seem like sticking to his first account would've been perceived more as the truth than him having a spare manila envelope in his car to put the money in.

I personally think that JW first account is the most accuarate..not the second.

When and how did LE come to know about the red bag???
And did they know about the red bag before they interviewed JW??

LE could have know about the red bag from W2 or the AIW accountant. I think LE must have talked with the accountant before interviewing JW at homicide. Seems possible they also spoke with W2 before or concurrently with JW's interview(s).

I still can't imagine what type of red bag belonged to JW that could fit all $40,000 and would also fit in a manila envelope. I understand 4 stacks of 100s isn't that big, but a manila envelope isn't that big either. I wouldn't expect JW to have his own "bank bag" and how useful is a small red bag to a young man in general? Why would he bring this particular bag to the package pick up, if he didn't know the package would be money until he arrived at AIW? I have a hard time believing neither Detective Owens nor other detectives asked JW about the red bag at any time since their first interview with him. The only reason I can think of to not ask about it is if they already have the red bag. If they were asking for it in the SWs, it would seem they didn't know where the bag was on the 21st or 22nd of May.

When I worked as an assistant I had a tint zippered bank bag for all of my receipts and cash and paperwork that I accrued doing errands. I think it would be a necessary thing for him to have. You cannot commingle cash and receipts with your own or it gets very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1