DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don't think their lot slopes like that. First floor would open to backyard imo.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak, but they could have an exterior basement door with a concrete staircase up to ground level. We had one in a previous old house because the basement was also used as a storm shelter.

I will wait for the real legal eagles to give a more professional response. But I can say that my Dad fished for as much info about the state's case as he possibly could during the prelims. The sooner you have an idea of where they are going, the sooner you can begin digging for defensive counter arguments.

They were going hard at JW to see if he was vulnerable and would make a good 'plan B' during the trial. I think they might be giving up on that for now. They are going for the unreliability of the forensics, incompetence of the techs and detectives, and looking for a new 'plan B.' Maybe a brother or cousin?

True. Also just throwing stuff out there for potential jurors to hear.
By closing, after learning LE has W1 covered/verified, Ago was already spinning sloppy evidence collection, contamination of the crime scene by firefighters, ATF, LE personnel as well as the brother. His unlucky client was taken advantage of while trying to turn himself in surrounded by in excess of $30K

image.jpg

- Ago (defense) said that there was no surveillance video from the neighborhood showing someone consistent with Wint, Detective Owens answered that he had not viewed any....

p 110* - preceding the above.
When Ago asked ^ Bach objected (no grounds stated); J. sustained.
Ago rephrased slightly, same obxn, J. overruled. Owens answered. " I have not viewed any, no."

Det. saying " I have not viewed any" is not same as 'There are none." JMO.

p. 111
After Ago's next Q. about anyone in neighborhood seeing someone like Wint on May 13, 14, Bach objected said
~ Defense was seeking discovery and J sustained.
JMO, that's why Bach objected to other Q ^.

*https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7PrkCLpJ4cSa2NSZElGcDRfOXc/view?pli=1

p 110* - preceding the above.
When Ago asked ^ Bach objected (no grounds stated); J. sustained.
Ago rephrased slightly, same obxn, J. overruled. Owens answered. " I have not viewed any, no."

Det. saying " I have not viewed any" is not same as 'There are none." JMO.

BBM. I totally agree! I hope there is some for him to view.

YAY. So I was right about the auction. And it was an equipment auction, just like my brother in law suggested. Like I said, he takes cash when he goes so he can get the mini-dozer and go.

You're right that it's not an impossible scenario, but in this case, it was just the cover that SS gave to the AIW employee so that the employee would go along with cutting a check for cash. Detective Owen said it was considered an unusual request.

What I am trying to reconcile is a discussion wherein a victim that has a knife at his throat and the kidnapper is listening says "oh, give me a check made out to cash for something between 35 and 50" It's just a weird request. I can't imagine saying that while my brute captor is listening. I can understand asking "how much can I get with such late notice?" "I need a check for X amount" "I'm in a bind, need it first thing in the morning for an auction and I forgot to go to the bank today. How much liquid do we have that you can write me a check for cash?" Maybe the answer was "between 35 and 50" I guess it doesn't matter now, it is what it is and it's done. It just struck me as a weird thing to say in court, so it must be true, so I oh nevermind.

In my opinion.

I am guessing he probably wanted $50k and there was discussion with the controller as to how much SS thought he could get the equipment for as well as how much cash could could be taken out on short notice.
If PS was being threatened, I am sure SS came up with the auction story on the fly and convinced the controller it was kosher, if not unusual. (I'm not reading anything that says SS really did have plans to go to an auction, unless I am missing something.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am guessing he probably wanted $50k and there was discussion with the controller as to how much SS thought he could get the equipment for as well as how much cash could could be taken out on short notice.
If PS was being threatened, I am sure SS came up with the auction story on the fly and convinced the controller it was kosher, if not unusual. (I'm not reading anything that says SS really did have plans to go to an auction, unless I am missing something.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think SS planned to go to any auctions. He was held hostage at the time he asked for this money. He had to come up with a plausible story why he needed the money.

What I am trying to reconcile is a discussion wherein a victim that has a knife at his throat and the kidnapper is listening says "oh, give me a check made out to cash for something between 35 and 50" It's just a weird request. I can't imagine saying that while my brute captor is listening. I can understand asking "how much can I get with such late notice?" "I need a check for X amount" "I'm in a bind, need it first thing in the morning for an auction and I forgot to go to the bank today. How much liquid do we have that you can write me a check for cash?" Maybe the answer was "between 35 and 50" I guess it doesn't matter now, it is what it is and it's done. It just struck me as a weird thing to say in court, so it must be true, so I oh nevermind.

In my opinion.

My guess is that the call went something like this:

SS: I just found out about an auction tomorrow in Baltimore, they have some good equipment for sale. I need cash. I want to buy as much as possible, how much can we get tomorrow morning?
Controller: I'm not sure how much the branch keeps on hand, how much do you need?
SS: Oh, I'd like $50K if you can get it, definitely need more than $35K if that's possible.
Controller: Ok, I'll see if I can reach the branch manager and find out what they can do, I'll take a check down to the branch in the morning. Are you coming into the office?
SS: Oh, no, not before the auction. I'll ask my assistant to pick it up. He'll meet you at the office in the morning.

JMO, dialog all imagined.

p 109 = Bench conf re source of photos & whether they can be admitted.
p 110, line 1= Judge: "What is this, Jif peanut butter? ...."
Then b/conf closes.

I googled, got no relevant result.

Then b/conf closes.

Honestly, I think the judge was looking at actual photos of the trash and there was literally a jar of Jif peanut butter in the trash can.

The head of my practice group used to use the expression "it is like swimming through peanut butter" when we tried to untangle a corporate transaction and things were a big mess. Maybe she meant something similar in that defense was showing these convoluted photos with convoluted information and convoluted arguments. :facepalm:

:facepalm:

Not to go too far O/T, but seeing this from 1st link makes me wonder if the same was true w the S home.
"The victim stated two gunmen entered their home from an unlocked door,” Atlanta police spokeswoman Kim Jones said.“

Thanks BlessedLife, that was a special thing for you to do.

I have a question directed for anyone who can point my way. From reporting I heard there was an unknown DNA but reading the transcript it looked like one was SS, another was DW and another was a mix of the two. Do I have that right? Is this another case of poor reporting?

Not sure if I really read there was an unknown DNA.

Since I'm on DNA a sec. I'd like to ask if anyone knows if a familial type DNA swab which hit in CODIS can be grown to test for monoclonal DNA?

Ok. You guys are going to have to be patient and bear with me as I breathe and let go of JW being a suspect.......Letting go.......

Wait! Don't let go quite yet...

I'm on record saying how inaccurate online address records are, but...
[modsnip]

Now all this Wall*** stuff is probably nothing, but I would like to know if DW has any friends who live in this apartment complex that would be willing to receive some mail for him. Who would have access to the S family car title numbers, registrations and DMV accounts? Maybe the person who was handling renewals for this family? There is something very fishy about JW taking the Audi for an emissions test in Annapolis 6-18 months before the registration needed to be renewed. Possibly a test run to see how much attention SS was paying to what JW was doing with the cars and their documents?

For those out of the area, Beltsville is near Lanham, where DW has primarily lived (or at least listed his address) since 2005, including when he was arrested with the beer, bb gun and machete behind the Shell station dumpster.

Wait! Don't let go quite yet...

I'm on record saying how inaccurate online address records are, but...
[modsnip]

Now all this Wall*** stuff is probably nothing, but I would like to know if DW has any friends who live in this apartment complex that would be willing to receive some mail for him. Who would have access to the S family car title numbers, registrations and DMV accounts? Maybe the person who was handling renewals for this family? There is something very fishy about JW taking the Audi for an emissions test in Annapolis 6-18 months before the registration needed to be renewed. Possibly a test run to see how much attention SS was paying to what JW was doing with the cars and their documents?

For those out of the area, Beltsville is near Lanham, where DW has primarily lived (or at least listed his address) since 2005, including when he was arrested with the beer, bb gun and machete behind the Shell station dumpster.

Do the phone numbers on the site match any of the numbers on the SWs?

At the bench, after Bach objected to Ago's questioning Owens about recovering cell phones stolen from the S house:

MS. BACH: And I'm afraid that he's going to end up -- I don't want him to be in a position where he has to testify -- I'm worried that he's going to have to -- he's going to not be able to testify without revealing that search warrant is what my concern is.
THE COURT: Have the search warrants been executed?
MS. BACH: No, that's the problem.
THE COURT: Okay, so the question is whether or not the cell phones have been recovered. The cell phones that were used in communications in this case, those were not recovered from Mr. Wint, his belongings or -- I can't find it.
MR. AGO: Homes associated.
THE COURT: And so, okay, I guess -- I guess you think the answer that he might reveal that he doesn't know?

p. 94

Is the judge making a joke because the detective said he "didn't know" so much during questioning? :clap:

Then b/conf closes.

"Choosy mothers choose JIF"? Maybe she's telling Ago he doesn't just get to pick and choose whatever he wants and call it evidence? Just a guess.

Thanks BlessedLife, that was a special thing for you to do.

I have a question directed for anyone who can point my way. From reporting I heard there was an unknown DNA but reading the transcript it looked like one was SS, another was DW and another was a mix of the two. Do I have that right? Is this another case of poor reporting?

Not sure if I really read there was an unknown DNA.

Since I'm on DNA a sec. I'd like to ask if anyone knows if a familial type DNA swab which hit in CODIS can be grown to test for monoclonal DNA?

I believe the third "match" was not a mixture of the other two, but another person. From the transcript, and Owen's explanation, it seems like the third was a "partial contributor".

Found this:
1.3.3.1 For a mixture profile which demonstrates a lower level partial contributor whose contribution
cannot be detected at most loci, deconvolution of loci at which only the higher level contributors
are detected can be accomplished and the corresponding statistics reported. The loci at which the
additional lower level contributor was detected will be considered inconclusive for this approach.

http://www.dfs.virginia.gov/wp-cont...-Manual-Modified-Random-Match-Probability.pdf

That's apparently what happened. Bach said it was pizza ordered by ATF while they were working at the scene. Photos were not taken by mobile crime, but possibly by the ME on May 15th or 16th. Not crime scene photos.

What ME? How do you know they didn't accidentally photograph the ATF pizza as crime scene accidentally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member