DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
jury selection about to begin, it probably will be a trial by tweets and evening news.

Do we have a list yet of people who will be tweeting? I have one to start with

@fox5wagner and he is saying they have newscast at 5 and 6 they will be updating every day. It appears this website also lets you replay newscast which is good so you don't have to watch it live at the time.

DC news, weather, radar, traffic, sports and breaking news from WTTG-TV | FOX 5 DC - WTTG | WTTG

this is the news station that did the 7 Series podcast on this case. And that podcast is also at that site.

Judge Allows Evidence of 2nd Suspect in DC Mansion Murders

Attorneys for man charged in 2015 quadruple killings prepare for September trial

Evidence found linking another suspect to 2015 quadruple killings, attorneys for man charged in case say

Wint’s trial is scheduled to begin mid-September following what attorneys expect to be a lengthy jury selection process as a result of the media attention the case has drawn. The trial is expected to last about two months, attorneys have said.

Last edited:
I think the main problem is that the house was set on fire and doesn't look that firefighters were that concerned with preserving a crime scene. But it sounds like even after that all the evidence that could have been tested was not tested, which I really don't understand.

I wish I could remember the podcast that I was listening to.

But they were talking about a specific case that the defense knew that the prosecution in that state was only allowed to submit so many things for evidence.

And they took advantage of it by saying why wasn't this piece analyzed, knowing that they were not allowed to go over the limit in that state. Perhaps that exists in the District of Columbia for the prosecution?

That was the first time I've ever heard of such a thing.

I really wish I could remember which podcast it was in the last 2 weeks that I listened to that and learned such.

Last edited:
I think the main problem is that the house was set on fire and doesn't look that firefighters were that concerned with preserving a crime scene. But it sounds like even after that all the evidence that could have been tested was not tested, which I really don't understand.

I guess as a critical thinker, one would hope that jurors would focus on what is the evidence. And not be distracted by what was not collected, but what was collected. Yes, there may have been other people, but he was there.

It is a felony murder in District of Columbia is my understanding at this time. He was there during the murder and or the rest of it, so he is a party to it. I would block out the rest of it and I would try to let the rest of the jury understand that thought.

I wish everyone could remember the podcast that I was listening to. But they were talking about a specific case that the defense knew that the prosecution in that state was only allowed to submit so many things for evidence.

And they took advantage of it by saying why wasn't this piece analyzed, knowing that they were not allowed to go over the limit in that state. Perhaps that exist in the District of Columbia for the prosecution.

That was the first time I've ever heard of such a thing.

I really wish I could remember which podcast it was in the last 2 weeks that I listen to that and learn such.

In the Crystal Rogers case, it was stated they are only allowed to submit 10 pieces of evidence.

In the Crystal Rogers case, it was stated they are only allowed to submit 10 pieces of evidence.

I don't follow that case, nor did I watch anything on that case. So I think it was another case. So perhaps that is common in many states and or the District of Columbia! That is very very interesting to me!

Iirc, I listen to a lot of podcasts from various cold cases.

So I'm thinking it was another case other than hers that is why I'm saying it was not that case I do not think. Thanks for pointing that out and helping me that this is an actual situation!

That is ridiculous! And therefore, I'm thinking it absolutely is not that case because I thought it was 30 was the limit. Again, reiterating my post above, I'm amazed that they are limited. And I bet that the prosecution is never allowed to say that. Because I've never heard of it until just these past two weeks and I have followed trials for a very long time. Has anybody else heard of this before and has any other cases where this has happened?

That is ridiculous! And therefore, I'm thinking it absolutely is not that case because I thought it was 30 was the limit. Again, reiterating my post above, I'm amazed that they are limited. And I bet that the prosecution is never allowed to say that. Because I've never heard of it until just these past two weeks and I have followed trials for a very long time. Has anybody else heard of this before and has any other cases where this has happened?

I didn't believe it at first but a WS verified attorney looked up evidence info for KY and found the document where it was stated. I was shocked.

I didn't believe it at first but a WS verified attorney looked up evidence info for KY and found the document where it was stated. I was shocked.

Thanks! I guess that was the case then, and I was mistaken. It's helpful to have you guys along to help me get up to speed as I have forgotten so many things!

I will agree that if somebody is limited to only so many pieces of evidence, that is a tragedy.

@Gitana!!! Bat call!

If that is so, I can't believe that the prosecution can't counter with we are limited to only so many pieces of evidence for testing. Is that really how the justice system works.

But then again, we know it's not always the justice system, it is the law. And the law isn't always Justice.

ETA..Is Gitana following this case?

There's physical proof, scientific evidence, and witness (Just my spewing forth of non-legal thought)

10 pieces in total? Ten per category? Or ??

holy smokes... I live in Kentucky. This info puzzles me... but lots of things in this state puzzle me.

Last edited:

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for other state trials. But the District of Columbia has its own strange rules that are more towards federal most of the time.? which reminds me, I have not seen anything as of yet as todays jury selection and I wonder how long that will take before the trial. I haven't had an opportunity to look at tweets or anything today and I won't for about another 3 hours. Was just checking in here really quick

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for other state trials. But the District of Columbia has its own strange rules that are more towards federal most of the time.? which reminds me, I have not seen anything as of yet as todays jury selection and I wonder how long that will take before the trial. I haven't had an opportunity to look at tweets or anything today and I won't for about another 3 hours. Was just checking in here really quick

The Washington Post stated that opening statements and the first day of testimony are scheduled for Sept. 11.

What you need to know: DC Mansion Murders trial set to begin 3 years after crime
Wint's defense team plans to argue the crime could not have been carried out by one person.

Author: Michael Quander
Published: 5:15 PM EDT September 3, 2018
Updated: 6:59 PM EDT September 3, 2018
WASHINGTON -- The trial for the infamous Mansion Murders is expected to start on Tuesday.

Darron Wint is accused of torturing and killing a family and their housekeeper at a home in Northwest Washington.

The court case is expected to last several months and begins with jury selection.

It was a crime that dominated headlines three years ago on May 13, 2015.
What you need to know: DC Mansion Murders trial set to begin 3 years after crime

Wint's defense team plans to argue the crime could not have been carried out by one person.

Author: Michael Quander
Published: 5:15 PM EDT September 3, 2018
Updated: 6:59 PM EDT September 3, 2018
WASHINGTON -- The trial for the infamous Mansion Murders is expected to start on Tuesday.

Darron Wint is accused of torturing and killing a family and their housekeeper at a home in Northwest Washington.

The court case is expected to last several months and begins with jury selection.

It was a crime that dominated headlines three years ago on May 13, 2015.

The case is expected the last several months? Egads!

Car Linked to DC Mansion Murders Suspect Was Torched Like Victims' Car
By Jodie Fleischer
Published 2 hours ago

In advance of Wint's trial, the I-Team combed through hundreds of court records and uncovered several pieces of evidence previously unreported:

• In addition to the Savopoulos family's mansion being set on fire in Northwest D.C. and their Porsche being found on fire hours later in Prince George's County, court records show a blue minivan known to be driven by Daron Wint was also found on fire in the days after the murders.
    • The location where the Porsche was found is adjacent to an apartment complex where Wint and several family members lived.
    • A key witness who spotted the Porsche during the hours in between when it left the mansion and was set on fire has added new details to his story to further suggest someone other than Wint drove the Porsche away from the scene.
    • Another key witness in the case has a shocking connection to the suspect.
Minivan With Connection to Suspect Also Burned

Blue-Stanton couldn't mask her sarcasm when the I-Team showed her yet another "coincidence" — never before made public — that investigators found a minivan with a connection to Wint on fire in the days after the murders.

"Well, isn't that odd that his car was also burned," said Blue-Stanton.

The blue 2002 Ford Windstar van was also found in Prince George's County, just a three-minute drive from the business where Daron Wint once worked, American Iron Works, where Savvas Savopoulos was the CEO. Prosecutors wrote in court records that police had arrested Wint while driving that same minivan less than two months before the murders.

SNIP

<modsnipped for copyright>

Car Linked to Mansion Murders Suspect Was Also Found Torched

Questioning credibility of witness -- after 3 years, 30 days ago thinks maybe it was JW driving Porsche, or maybe mind playing tricks. Come on, peoples lives are at stake! And Wow, Wint's own van found also torched 3 minutes from American Iron Works -- how odd is that! MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Car Linked to DC Mansion Murders Suspect Was Torched Like Victims' Car
By Jodie Fleischer
Published 2 hours ago

In advance of Wint's trial, the I-Team combed through hundreds of court records and uncovered several pieces of evidence previously unreported:

• In addition to the Savopoulos family's mansion being set on fire in Northwest D.C. and their Porsche being found on fire hours later in Prince George's County, court records show a blue minivan known to be driven by Daron Wint was also found on fire in the days after the murders.
    • The location where the Porsche was found is adjacent to an apartment complex where Wint and several family members lived.
    • A key witness who spotted the Porsche during the hours in between when it left the mansion and was set on fire has added new details to his story to further suggest someone other than Wint drove the Porsche away from the scene.
    • Another key witness in the case has a shocking connection to the suspect.
Minivan With Connection to Suspect Also Burned

Blue-Stanton couldn't mask her sarcasm when the I-Team showed her yet another "coincidence" — never before made public — that investigators found a minivan with a connection to Wint on fire in the days after the murders.

"Well, isn't that odd that his car was also burned," said Blue-Stanton.

The blue 2002 Ford Windstar van was also found in Prince George's County, just a three-minute drive from the business where Daron Wint once worked, American Iron Works, where Savvas Savopoulos was the CEO. Prosecutors wrote in court records that police had arrested Wint while driving that same minivan less than two months before the murders.

SNIP

<modsnipped>

Car Linked to Mansion Murders Suspect Was Also Found Torched

Questioning credibility of witness -- after 3 years, 30 days ago thinks maybe it was JW driving Porsche, or maybe mind playing tricks. Come on, peoples lives are at stake! And Wow, Wint's own van found also torched 3 minutes from American Iron Works -- how odd is that! MOO

His minivan being torched and that it was located about 3 minutes from AIW is very interesting. That’s the first time I had heard about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member