DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What you need to know: DC Mansion Murders trial set to begin 3 years after crime
Author: Michael Quander
Updated: 6:59 PM EDT September 3, 2018

WASHINGTON -- The trial for the infamous Mansion Murders is expected to start on Tuesday.

Wint's defense team plans to argue the crime could not have been carried out by one person.

Darron Wint is accused of torturing and killing a family and their housekeeper at a home in Northwest Washington.

The court case is expected to last several months and begins with jury selection.

It was a crime that dominated headlines three years ago on May 13, 2015.
What you need to know: DC Mansion Murders trial set to begin 3 years after crime

LATE EDIT: With Trial expected to last several months, a **MEDIA LINKS ONLY** NO DISCUSSION** thread has just been created.

Opening statements in trial of Daron Wint, man accused in Savopoulos DC Mansion Murders case
UPDATED: SEP 11 2018 12:48PM EDT

WASHINGTON - Opening statements were made Tuesday in the trial of Daron Wint, the man accused of killing three members of the wealthy Savopoulos family and their housekeeper more than three years ago in their D.C. home.

According to FOX 5's Melanie Alnwick, four jurors notified the court of possible issues before the trial began. Alnwick said several remaining "qualified" jurors were being questioned.

Alnwick also said that Wint's defense team alleges his brothers, Stefon and Darrell, tricked him into going to the house on the day of the crime. She said the defense team also stated that Jordan Wallace, a Savopoulos personal assistant who delivered the ransom to house the day of the murders, may have been involved.
Opening statements in trial of Daron Wint, man accused in Savopoulos DC Mansion Murders case
So how do you get tricked into going over to your ex-Employer's mansion. Was it, "Yeah, go over there, order pizza, and we'll come over and pick you up -- and make it 2 large pizzas."

So how do you get tricked into going over to your ex-Employer's mansion. Was it, "Yeah, go over there, order pizza, and we'll come over and pick you up -- and make it 2 large pizzas."
I can see the defense's strategy of putting the idea out there that one person alone couldn't have done this crime. And if there were more than one, the defense can say to the prosecution: prove it that Wint was the person who actually murdered, robbed, and set fire.

I hope the prosecution has more than a pizza crust. It's not a crime to eat pizza.

jmo

I can see the defense's strategy of putting the idea out there that one person alone couldn't have done this crime. And if there were more than one, the defense can say to the prosecution: prove it that Wint was the person who actually murdered, robbed, and set fire.

I hope the prosecution has more than a pizza crust. It's not a crime to eat pizza.

jmo
It was widely reported by MSM that there was dna evidence on the pizza crust.

Author: Michael Quander
Updated: 6:59 PM EDT September 3, 2018

WASHINGTON -- The trial for the infamous Mansion Murders is expected to start on Tuesday.

Wint's defense team plans to argue the crime could not have been carried out by one person.

Darron Wint is accused of torturing and killing a family and their housekeeper at a home in Northwest Washington.

The court case is expected to last several months and begins with jury selection.

It was a crime that dominated headlines three years ago on May 13, 2015.

LATE EDIT: With Trial expected to last several months, a **MEDIA LINKS ONLY** NO DISCUSSION** thread has just been created.
Hey Seattle, thanks for the outstanding heavy lifting here. Appreciate it.

Yes, I know. That's why I mention it. But I hope they have more than that. Otherwise all it proves is that he was there.

jmo

DC quadruple murder suspect appears in court for DNA evidence hearing | WTOP

......Authorities had also said Wint’s DNA was found on a neon green construction vest that had been left inside Amy Savopoulos’ stolen Porsche. An overview of forensic evidence prepared by prosecutors mentioned a possible DNA link between Wint and a knife found in the basement of the burned house. Investigators also said their evidence included a piece of duct tape recovered from the driveway and a hair sample found in a piece of bedding.......

DC quadruple murder suspect appears in court for DNA evidence hearing | WTOP

......Authorities had also said Wint’s DNA was found on a neon green construction vest that had been left inside Amy Savopoulos’ stolen Porsche. An overview of forensic evidence prepared by prosecutors mentioned a possible DNA link between Wint and a knife found in the basement of the burned house. Investigators also said their evidence included a piece of duct tape recovered from the driveway and a hair sample found in a piece of bedding.......
Good. They are going to need every piece of evidence. jmo

Bombshell claim: Defense attorney says Daron Wint’s 2 brothers killed DC family, housekeeper

In a bombshell opening statement on the first day of Wint’s trial, defense attorney Jeffery Stein said Wint’s two brothers wore gloves to avoid leaving DNA inside the Savopoulos family’s Woodley Park mansion when the family was taken hostage, held for a $40,000 ransom and then stabbed and beaten to death before the house was set on fire.

Stein said Wint, 37, of Lanham, Maryland, didn’t know what was going on and was deceived into taking part in the crimes, which spanned two days in May 2015.

In its opening statement, the prosecution said Wint’s DNA was found on multiple pieces of evidence inside the Savopoulos home — including on the crust of pizzas that had been delivered to the house while the family was being held hostage inside.

The defense disputed some of the DNA evidence. Stein, the defense attorney, conceded Wint was at the Savopoulos home and ate a piece of leftover pizza there, but did not go upstairs where the family was being held hostage and “had no idea what his brothers had done upstairs,” he said.

Regarding the hair evidence, Stein said the defense planned to call experts during the trial who would explain that hair DNA between siblings with the same mother and who are the same sex, is basically identical.

“DNA does not lie, but it doesn’t tell the whole story,” Stein said.
Bombshell claim: Defense attorney says Daron Wint’s 2 brothers killed DC family, housekeeper | WTOP
===========================================================

I think this is going to be a losing strategy by the defense. They are conceding that DW was THERE, in the home, eating pizza, and was there for 2 days.

But the jury is supposed to accept that his 2 brothers were upstairs torturing and murdering these 4 people, and poor DW had no idea what was going on.

Legally, DW was at the least , 'part' of this crime. He was there in the house so he KNEW what this was all about. .....GUILTY !

This has probably already been discussed......
Does D.C. have the felony murder law?

I certainly hope so and would love an attorney’s thoughts.

I hope they have that law too. He obviously took part in the robbery. He admitted as much by saying he hung out there and ate pizza while his two brothers were 'upstairs with the family.'

I think this is going to be a losing strategy by the defense. They are conceding that DW was THERE, in the home, eating pizza, and was there for 2 days.

But the jury is supposed to accept that his 2 brothers were upstairs torturing and murdering these 4 people, and poor DW had no idea what was going on.

Legally, DW was at the least , 'part' of this crime. He was there in the house so he KNEW what this was all about. .....GUILTY !
Snipped

But the defense doesn't need to prove innocence, just reasonable doubt. The prosecution has the job of proving guilt beyond reasonable doubt. I know you know this...I'm not schooling anyone here! I'm just worried that "reasonable doubt" is going to work.

Yes, I'm worried.

I can't wait to hear the prosecution side. Let it be strong!

jmo

I am so deeply thankful that they have DNA evidence. I realize that this doesn't mean everything but it, to me, removes reasonable doubt, at least in D.W.'s part.

As this trial proceeds, I am greatly interested in hearing more of the details expanded upon.

For instance, the following article states that an alert about a door with broken glass was sent to the security company at 5:56 p.m. (page 154)

I found this article (Spring 2016) quite informative. There are details here that I haven't been able to find in other articles.

Pages 152-157 reveals the story "Murders on Woodland Drive".

To access this magazine article:

(click on Spring 2016)

then "fastforward" to page 152.

You can zoom in and move around all of the pages.

Spring 2016

Last edited:

jmo

I have never quite understood that defense strategy. I have seen it used but I can't remember a case at the moment where the defendant was found NG because the defense tried to pin it on someone else who they claimed was there too.

It places him inside of the home and if his Dna is also on the green vest that will hurt him also.

I doubt the jury is going to believe he just stopped by for pizza.

Even if someone was there with him (which I don't believe there any evidence to support that) he would still be equally guilty under the law.

I think the prosecutor will layout the case well.

Imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads