DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped

But the defense doesn't need to prove innocence, just reasonable doubt. The prosecution has the job of proving guilt beyond reasonable doubt. I know you know this...I'm not schooling anyone here! I'm just worried that "reasonable doubt" is going to work.

Yes, I'm worried.

I can't wait to hear the prosecution side. Let it be strong!

jmo

But what is the 'reasonable doubt' here ? If DW was THERE, while the tortures and murders were happening, what was he doing downstairs for that 2 days ? I don't think there will be any doubt about him being part of the crime.

Were his brothers involved too? Maybe. But that doesn't mean DW will go free.

I do wish they would stop referring to that house as the "mansion" murders. Maybe by home prices there that may be a "mansion" but square footage wise it is not that big. The idea that people are being tortured and murdered upstairs and someone downstairs doesn't hear it or know it just stupid.

JMO

OT/ Ocean good to see you...long time no see!

Here are some new details:

“... prosecutor Christopher Bruckman told the jury that Wallace [JW] was not involved and suggested he would testify in the case....

“Bruckman said as [DW] held Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, son Phillip and their housekeeper Vera Figueroa, hostage, he took the computer connected to the surveillance system ...

“In addition to the pizza crust, Daron Wint's DNA was also found on a knife used to prop open a window, according to officials.

“Investigators also said they found searches on Daron Wint’s phone for best hiding places for fugitives and countries with no extradition treaties with the United States...”

DC Mansion Murders: Prosecutors paint horrific blood-soaked crime scene in opening statements

Also-

“As for the defense's claim that Daron Wint's brothers were involved, officials reminded that Daron Wint was arrested a few days after the murder when he was with one of his brothers, who was questioned and released. He was never charged.”

I wonder if one or both of the guys offered up by DW’s defense, “Darrell and Stefon Wint,” were among those present at the arrest. Looking back I don’t see a name in the reports, just that he was with people including “his brother.”

Also wonder where Darrell and Stefon Wint are now. Out of the country? Somewhere without an extradition treaty with the US perhaps? MOO

DC Mansion Murders: Prosecutors paint horrific blood-soaked crime scene in opening statements

Thank you Harmony 2!
Some good info there, including this new bit (BBM):

“Bruckman also said Jordan was seen on a surveillance camera at Lowe’s at the same time that Daron Wint was seen going back under the mansion’s garage door.”

which sure seems to undermine this claim from the defense (BBM):

“Stein said that Darrell & Stefon planned the whole thing, then tricked Daron, taking his prized minivan, and bringing him to the mansion on 5/14. Stein claims Daron walked out in horror at what his brothers had done, then they abandoned him and left him to take the fall.”

Thank you Harmony 2!
Some good info there, including this new bit (BBM):

“Bruckman also said Jordan was seen on a surveillance camera at Lowe’s at the same time that Daron Wint was seen going back under the mansion’s garage door.”

which sure seems to undermine this claim from the defense (BBM):

“Stein said that Darrell & Stefon planned the whole thing, then tricked Daron, taking his prized minivan, and bringing him to the mansion on 5/14. Stein claims Daron walked out in horror at what his brothers had done, then they abandoned him and left him to take the fall.”

They why were they all together at the hotel, days later, partying with some ladies, in a mobile work van?

In addition to the pizza crusts, prosecutors said Wint’s DNA was also found on the handle of a knife propping up a basement window and on a reflective vest found inside Savvas Savopoulos’ blue Porsche, which was found burning in Prince George’s County, Maryland. In addition, investigators said they found two hairs belonging to Wint that linked him to the crime scene, including one found in the room where the adult victims were found dead.

“You cannot silence DNA by suffocating it or stabbing it,” Bruckman said during his statement.

Bombshell claim: Defense attorney says Daron Wint’s 2 brothers killed DC family, housekeeper | WTOP

I see some familiar names here — this is the tragedy that brought me to Websleuths. I can’t believe that it has been three years that this poor family has had to wait for justice. The start to this trial has already thrown out some new info. I need to catch up.
Yes, I remember you! :) It is nice to see some WSers names from when we all followed this case. I was obsessed with the case for quite awhile.

I don't always follow WS cases through to the trial stage, but this one has so many unanswered questions that I want to see how the case is presented by the prosecutors. I am hopeful, but worried.

jmo

But what is the 'reasonable doubt' here ? If DW was THERE, while the tortures and murders were happening, what was he doing downstairs for that 2 days ? I don't think there will be any doubt about him being part of the crime.

Were his brothers involved too? Maybe. But that doesn't mean DW will go free.
I don't feel like playing devil's advocate and defending the defense (I think the guy is guilty after all!). I just don't know if prosecutors will convince a jury that this guy did everything.

Anyone have the list of charges handy?

jmo

Anyone have the list of charges handy?
Superior Court Online Case Search | District of Columbia Courts
2015 CF1 007047 United States Vs. WINT, DARON D JML
File Date: 05/22/2015

02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #2: Kidnapping
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #1: Burglary One
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #5: Kidnapping Against A Minor
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #6: Extortion
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #7: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #15: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #9: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #10: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident Victim Was Especially Vulnerable due to Age or Physical Infirmity
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #11: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #12: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #13: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #14: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident Victim Was Especially Vulnerable due to Age or Physical Infirmity
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #4: Kidnapping
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #3: Kidnapping
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #8: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #16: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #20: Theft First Degree
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #19: Arson
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #18: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident Victim Was Especially Vulnerable due to Age or Physical Infirmity
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #17: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident

Superior Court Online Case Search | District of Columbia Courts
2015 CF1 007047 United States Vs. WINT, DARON D JML
File Date: 05/22/2015

02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #2: Kidnapping
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #1: Burglary One
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #5: Kidnapping Against A Minor
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #6: Extortion
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #7: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #15: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #9: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #10: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident Victim Was Especially Vulnerable due to Age or Physical Infirmity
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #11: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #12: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #13: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #14: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident Victim Was Especially Vulnerable due to Age or Physical Infirmity
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #4: Kidnapping
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #3: Kidnapping
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #8: Felony Murder While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #16: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #20: Theft First Degree
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #19: Arson
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #18: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident Victim Was Especially Vulnerable due to Age or Physical Infirmity
02/17/2016 Charge Filed Charge #17: Murder I While Armed While Committing or Attempting to Commit a Kidnapping or Abduction Murder was Especially Heinous, Atrocious or Cruel More than 1 Offense of Murder in First Degree Arose from Incident
You are the best!

Thanks.

“Regarding the hair evidence, Stein said the defense planned to call experts during the trial who would explain that hair DNA between siblings with the same mother and who are the same sex, is basically identical.”

What about this? I was reading about DNA in National Geographic. I don’t know anything about DNA but this explains why you and your siblings can have different DNA when you have the same parents.
Anyone a DNA expert?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....t-siblings-different-results-genetics-science

Wash DC statutes:
Felony-murder is defined as the killing of another person during the commission of a dangerous felony, such as rape, arson, kidnapping or robbery. In order to secure a conviction under the felony-murder rule, the prosecution does not need to prove that the defendant actually intended to kill the victim, only that the death was the foreseeable result of the commission of a dangerous felony. In a sense, the prosecution is able to “piggyback” on the “malice aforethought” demonstrated by the defendant in committing the dangerous felony to prove the malicious state of mind needed to secure a murder conviction.
https://koehlerlaw.net/assault-theft/homicidemurdermanslaughter/

So the prosecutors don't even need to prove that DW did all of the violence himself. Even if there is some reasonable doubt about his brothers possibly being the actual killers, DW was there, during the commission of the felony crimes. That can secure a murder conviction in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist