DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, IIRC, DW has some other very bad information that will hopefully make it into the trial.

We heard about earlier problems he had, with Domestic Violence, where he threatened to stab young children.

IIRC, he threatened his gf's young child, and another time he threatened to stab his little sister, when he was angry at his father.

I hope that is introduced as evidence because it will show that it would not be out of character for him to stab a child. JMO

Apparently the brother at DW’s side at the time of arrest was indeed Darrell -

“One of those arrested with Mr. Wint was his younger brother, Darrell...”

More Than One Attacker Is Suspected in Killings of 4 in Washington

I have no prob believing his brother(s) committed the crime with him, an accomplice one can trust is best when perpetuating a heinous and insane atrocity.

Far harder to believe DW was “set up” & horrified by this brother but then continued to cruise around with him & their ill-gotten gains a week later. Then went on to sit in jail for three years without telling authorities about the “set up” and his innocence.

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP
More detail from opening statements in Daron Wint trial to follow: Prosecution says DC firefighter crawling on hands & knees tried to push chair out of the way in burning #Savopoulos home. It wouldn’t move. Felt the face of a person sitting in the chair & a body behind it. 1/5

12:51 PM - 11 Sep 2018 from Washington, DC

Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander
In opening of quadruple murder trial Tuesday, judge surprises audience and announces trial will end for the day after opening statements by defense and prosecution. No witness testimony today. Parents of Savvas and Amy Savopoulos in crowded courtroom. #mansionmurders.

7:53 AM - 11 Sep 2018

Wash DC statutes:
Felony-murder is defined as the killing of another person during the commission of a dangerous felony, such as rape, arson, kidnapping or robbery. In order to secure a conviction under the felony-murder rule, the prosecution does not need to prove that the defendant actually intended to kill the victim, only that the death was the foreseeable result of the commission of a dangerous felony. In a sense, the prosecution is able to “piggyback” on the “malice aforethought” demonstrated by the defendant in committing the dangerous felony to prove the malicious state of mind needed to secure a murder conviction.
https://koehlerlaw.net/assault-theft/homicidemurdermanslaughter/

So the prosecutors don't even need to prove that DW did all of the violence himself. Even if there is some reasonable doubt about his brothers possibly being the actual killers, DW was there, during the commission of the felony crimes. That can secure a murder conviction in itself.
Excellent info to know. Thanks for posting this.

jmo

AThen went on to sit in jail for three years without telling authorities about the “set up” and his innocence.
Snipped.

I can buy not telling on your brothers for years while sitting in jail....but then why tell on them at trial? If you're going to be silent about your brothers, you'd stay silent forever. If you're going to tell on them, you'd do it earlier, I would think.

So, yes, that is going to be hard for the jury to understand. Unless he learned the brothers are going to testify against him! Sounds like that is going to happen.

Remember when we all found it strange that the people in the van and car were released after caught? That still strikes me as strange.

jmo

Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie 54m54 minutes ago
Just saw court services wheel in 3 cartloads of exhibits for #MansionMurders trial. Testimony begins at 9:45. Will Witness #1 (aka Jordan Wallace) testify? @fox5dc

Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander 11m11 minutes ago
In day 2 of quadruple murder trial, father of Amy Savopoulos takes the stand as the government’s first witness. #mansionmurders. “My daughter is still present in my life,” he said

Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander 16h16 hours ago
Keith L. Alexander Retweeted Keith L. Alexander

The full story. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/savopoulos-slayings-trial-in-2015-quadruple-killing-opens-in-dc/2018/09/10/3c7e2dc2-b515-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.94cb406f7d7c …

It sounds like the typical someone else did it defense coupled with the demonstrable fact he hates his family, has no problem using their names when he gets in trouble or threatening them.

I have no idea when the defense came up with this theory but they have fought hard NOT to be forced to reveal the names of their proposed alternate suspects. If the government had a heads up they'd be more prepared to rebut the allegations with evidence of the brothers' noninvolvement. Maybe they already had some idea he'd blame his brothers and have already done some work on it.

As I'm sure everyone knows, opening and closing statements are not evidence. They're going to have to present some evidence of the involvement of others or they can't argue it in closing. So apart from Wint testifying I'm not sure what they have to link his brothers to the crime (his one brother's presence with him at the time of his arrest may not be enough).

I never doubted that he could have pulled this off by himself. It wasn't exactly some complicated crime. He could have easily subdued the victims with threats of a knife, gun or harm to their loved ones. He has a violent, vicious history. He didn't need any accomplices to kidnap and kill those people.

I don't know whether to admire the audacity of the defense or just laugh.

Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie
Testimony in #MansionMurders trial this am includes Jim Martin, Amy Savopoulos’ father, Amy’s dermatology that she visited with Phillip on 5/13, + a DC crime scene scientist. DC detective on ATF task force on stand. @fox5dc

8:19 AM - 12 Sep 2018

Amy’s father Jim said something that made my stomach sink. He had given Philip a special birthday gift - a Louisville Slugger baseball bat with Philip’s name engraved on it. @fox5dc #MansionMurders

8:16 AM - 12 Sep 2018

Father of Amy Savopoulos first to testify. Said she is “still present in my life”. Discussed family’s 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Bear & Ginger. Says they mostly stayed in kitchen bc of trouble w stairs. #MansionMurders @fox5dc

8:14 AM - 12 Sep 2018

Just saw court services wheel in 3 cartloads of exhibits for #MansionMurders trial. Testimony begins at 9:45. Will Witness #1 (aka Jordan Wallace) testify? @fox5dc

6:19 AM - 12 Sep 2018

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

20 hrs ·
#MansionMurders Trial, Day 1:

Before the trial got underway one juror who had an issue with being able to complete jury service, was replaced. That means there are now 8 men and 8 women on the jury - eight of them are white, eight are minorities. There are 12 jurors, alternates. Alternates are chosen at random and they will not know who they are until time for deliberations.

The defense also wanted to bring up an issue with chain of custody and possible mishandling of evidence. The prosecution said they had given the defense all the information they needed more than two years ago.

Prosecutor Christopher Bruckman first addressed the jury, saying “This is what nightmares are made of.” The victims “kidnapped, beaten, asphyxiated, stabbed, tortured and killed by this man - Daron Dylon Wint.” Then Bruckman got close to Wint and pointed directly at him - calling him a coward who got $40,000 in cash then fled, dousing the victims with gasoline and setting them on fire.

Bruckman says there is powerful DNA evidence, plus evidence of guilt with Wint’s words and actions in the days after the murders - including internet searches for things like “10 hideout cities for fugitives” and “5 countries with no US extradition treaty”

He told the jury DNA is a powerful witness that can’t be silenced by stabbing it, by strangling it or burning it. “DNA will speak for the dead”, said Bruckman in a raised voice.

He then re-counted five separate pieces of evidence with Daron Wint’s DNA signature:
- a pizza crust
- the handle of a knife found propping open a window in the basement of the mansion.
- a construction vest found in Amy’s burned out Porsche,
- a hair inside construction hat in the garage,
- and a second hair found in betting of the bedroom where Savvas, Amy and Vera were found.

New information included communications during the 19 hours that the family was held hostage, about an in-home security system. When & where does it record? How are the recordings kept? It was all recorded on a computer in a 3rd floor bedroom. Bruckman said a metal case for the computer was found in the bedroom where Savvas, Amy and Vera were killed - but the computer itself was never found.

The motive? Money, greed and revenge.
Bruckman also brought up Jordan Wallace, who he said will testify as Witness #1. He admits Jordan was “stupid”, and will say so.. when he sent, then deleted texts with pictures of the $40k he’d been asked to retrieve and bring to the house on Woodland Drive. Says Jordan loved Savvas, adored Philip, and willingly turned over his phone and DNA samples. Bruckman also said Jordan was seen on a surveillance camera at Lowe’s at the same time that Daron Wint was seen going back under the mansion’s garage door.

There will be graphic testimony and evidence photos, and some jurors looked a little shell-shocked when they realized what they were going to have to deal with.

DC public defender Jeff Stein told the jury that “we all share the urge to punish” someone for those terrible murders, but Daron Wint is innocent and wrongfully accused. Then Stein dropped the bombshell we weren’t sure we’d hear: the names of the alleged “other suspects”: Darrell and Stefon Wint - Daron’s brothers.

Stein said that Darrell & Stefon planned the whole thing, then tricked Daron, taking his prized minivan, and bringing him to the mansion on 5/14. Stein claims Daron walked out in horror at what his brothers had done, then they abandoned him and left him to take the fall.

Stein said Wint was terrified of what his brothers had done, so he panicked and fled - and that his brother Darrell was with him when he came home to turn himself in. He also pointed a finger at Jordan Wallace, saying he was an insider who had the information the brothers would need to commit the crime, and said there were positive hits on Wallace’s car mats and backpack for ignitable fluid.

Stein noted that Stefon lived just across the street from where Amy Savopoulos’s Porsche was torched, and showed phone records that the 2 brothers communicated frequently up until the 13th, the day of the break-in... then silence until after the Porsche was burned on the 14th.

As for the DNA, Stein said, “DNA doesn’t lie, but it doesn’t tell the whole story”. He confirmed that Daron ate the pizza and put on the construction vest, but again contended that his client had no idea what was happening upstairs in the house. He also wondered aloud why Wint’s DNA was not found on the duct tape, the matches, the matchbox, or the blood covered samurai sword and baseball bats.

Stein closed telling the jury that parts of this trial will be painful and bring us to tears.. but that “convicting Daron Wint of crimes he did not commit will not right these wrongs.”

Court recessed for the day, and will get started at 9:45 Wednesday morning.

Fox 5 DC

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

20 hrs ·
#MansionMurders Trial, Day 1:

Before the trial got underway one juror who had an issue with being able to complete jury service, was replaced. That means there are now 8 men and 8 women on the jury - eight of them are white, eight are minorities. There are 12 jurors, alternates. Alternates are chosen at random and they will not know who they are until time for deliberations.

The defense also wanted to bring up an issue with chain of custody and possible mishandling of evidence. The prosecution said they had given the defense all the information they needed more than two years ago.

Prosecutor Christopher Bruckman first addressed the jury, saying “This is what nightmares are made of.” The victims “kidnapped, beaten, asphyxiated, stabbed, tortured and killed by this man - Daron Dylon Wint.” Then Bruckman got close to Wint and pointed directly at him - calling him a coward who got $40,000 in cash then fled, dousing the victims with gasoline and setting them on fire.

Bruckman says there is powerful DNA evidence, plus evidence of guilt with Wint’s words and actions in the days after the murders - including internet searches for things like “10 hideout cities for fugitives” and “5 countries with no US extradition treaty”

He told the jury DNA is a powerful witness that can’t be silenced by stabbing it, by strangling it or burning it. “DNA will speak for the dead”, said Bruckman in a raised voice.

He then re-counted five separate pieces of evidence with Daron Wint’s DNA signature:
- a pizza crust
- the handle of a knife found propping open a window in the basement of the mansion.
- a construction vest found in Amy’s burned out Porsche,
- a hair inside construction hat in the garage,
- and a second hair found in betting of the bedroom where Savvas, Amy and Vera were found.

New information included communications during the 19 hours that the family was held hostage, about an in-home security system. When & where does it record? How are the recordings kept? It was all recorded on a computer in a 3rd floor bedroom. Bruckman said a metal case for the computer was found in the bedroom where Savvas, Amy and Vera were killed - but the computer itself was never found.

The motive? Money, greed and revenge.
Bruckman also brought up Jordan Wallace, who he said will testify as Witness #1. He admits Jordan was “stupid”, and will say so.. when he sent, then deleted texts with pictures of the $40k he’d been asked to retrieve and bring to the house on Woodland Drive. Says Jordan loved Savvas, adored Philip, and willingly turned over his phone and DNA samples. Bruckman also said Jordan was seen on a surveillance camera at Lowe’s at the same time that Daron Wint was seen going back under the mansion’s garage door.

There will be graphic testimony and evidence photos, and some jurors looked a little shell-shocked when they realized what they were going to have to deal with.

DC public defender Jeff Stein told the jury that “we all share the urge to punish” someone for those terrible murders, but Daron Wint is innocent and wrongfully accused. Then Stein dropped the bombshell we weren’t sure we’d hear: the names of the alleged “other suspects”: Darrell and Stefon Wint - Daron’s brothers.

Stein said that Darrell & Stefon planned the whole thing, then tricked Daron, taking his prized minivan, and bringing him to the mansion on 5/14. Stein claims Daron walked out in horror at what his brothers had done, then they abandoned him and left him to take the fall.

Stein said Wint was terrified of what his brothers had done, so he panicked and fled - and that his brother Darrell was with him when he came home to turn himself in. He also pointed a finger at Jordan Wallace, saying he was an insider who had the information the brothers would need to commit the crime, and said there were positive hits on Wallace’s car mats and backpack for ignitable fluid.

Stein noted that Stefon lived just across the street from where Amy Savopoulos’s Porsche was torched, and showed phone records that the 2 brothers communicated frequently up until the 13th, the day of the break-in... then silence until after the Porsche was burned on the 14th.

As for the DNA, Stein said, “DNA doesn’t lie, but it doesn’t tell the whole story”. He confirmed that Daron ate the pizza and put on the construction vest, but again contended that his client had no idea what was happening upstairs in the house. He also wondered aloud why Wint’s DNA was not found on the duct tape, the matches, the matchbox, or the blood covered samurai sword and baseball bats.

Stein closed telling the jury that parts of this trial will be painful and bring us to tears.. but that “convicting Daron Wint of crimes he did not commit will not right these wrongs.”

Court recessed for the day, and will get started at 9:45 Wednesday morning.

Fox 5 DC
Whew. I'm exhausted reading this.

I'm looking forward to JW's testimony and I wonder if the perp will take the stand.

I think that second hair found in the bedroom is going to take center stage.

jmo

It sounds like the typical someone else did it defense coupled with the demonstrable fact he hates his family, has no problem using their names when he gets in trouble or threatening them.

I have no idea when the defense came up with this theory but they have fought hard NOT to be forced to reveal the names of their proposed alternate suspects. If the government had a heads up they'd be more prepared to rebut the allegations with evidence of the brothers' noninvolvement. Maybe they already had some idea he'd blame his brothers and have already done some work on it.

As I'm sure everyone knows, opening and closing statements are not evidence. They're going to have to present some evidence of the involvement of others or they can't argue it in closing. So apart from Wint testifying I'm not sure what they have to link his brothers to the crime (his one brother's presence with him at the time of his arrest may not be enough).

I never doubted that he could have pulled this off by himself. It wasn't exactly some complicated crime. He could have easily subdued the victims with threats of a knife, gun or harm to their loved ones. He has a violent, vicious history. He didn't need any accomplices to kidnap and kill those people.

I don't know whether to admire the audacity of the defense or just laugh.

It's the Jose Baez type defense. Knowing that anything said in court cannot be used against them. Throwing the family under the bus.

Whew. I'm exhausted reading this.

I'm looking forward to JW's testimony and I wonder if the perp will take the stand.

I think that second hair found in the bedroom is going to take center stage.

jmo

Yeah, perhaps having only mitochondrial DNA LED them to this defense option. If you'll recall, mitochondrial is from the mother, and is passed down from her. so both brothers would have such.

DW was there, and was involved. So he will be convicted as taking part in the felony, which resulted in multiple murders. He cannot wiggle out of it, pretending he had 'no idea' what they were there for.

I hope he takes the stand. But he is a coward and a liar, so I am sure he won't.

"As for the DNA, Stein said, “DNA doesn’t lie, but it doesn’t tell the whole story”. He confirmed that Daron ate the pizza and put on the construction vest, but again contended that his client had no idea what was happening upstairs in the house. He also wondered aloud why Wint’s DNA was not found on the duct tape, the matches, the matchbox, or the blood covered samurai sword and baseball bats."

Maybe he wore gloves when he was using the murder weapons and the duct tape?

I'd like to hear the defense explain more fully, why DW had 'no idea' what was going on upstairs? What did he think they were all doing there in that nice big house?

All the state needs to prove is that DW knew it was a robbery. That's all he needed to know, for him to now be convicted of MURDER.

DW was there, and was involved. So he will be convicted as taking part in the felony, which resulted in multiple murders. He cannot wiggle out of it, pretending he had 'no idea' what they were there for.

I hope he takes the stand. But he is a coward and a liar, so I am sure he won't.
Yes, the conversations here recently about the charges have calmed my worries. He'll get convicted of "something" on the long list of charges. May Patience, Wisdom, and Discernment be with the jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member