DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a trial where I hope that the daughters do not attend.

In my opinion, justice will be served in this case whether or not they attend. If I feel so affected by the descriptions of the aftermath in the rooms, I can't even imagine how loved ones would feel.

I believe that the suffering that the daughters have gone through would be greatly compounded by them listening to the testimony.

Melanie Alnwick's use of descriptive words is superb.

She has painted a picture of what the detective actually witnessed, through his eyes.

The shock of the description of the once cheery rooms compared to the aftermath of the horrors that occurred there is quite staggering through Ms. Alnwick's writing.

The enormousness of the evil that took place there is unfathomable. The details of the remains of the rooms tell a good deal of the horrible events.

Even the description of the rooms, as witnessed by the detective, is extremely heart-rending.
Yes, that is an interesting read. I wonder if she's planning to write a book about the case - reading her description felt more like reading a book than the usual news-type coverage. I found myself liking the description of the lovely foyer in the home, picturing how grand it must be, and then bam....she talks about the debris and fire and I'm brought back to the crime. I also got a kick out of the descriptions of what the witnesses were wearing on the stand....might not be pertinent to the crime, but certainly interesting to me. :) I could picture the scenes and people she described.

Anyway, regarding case specifics...the info about the pet spa is curious, especially the inf about Amy calling back and confirming the reservations, though sounding "sleepy" and rushed. What in the world was happening at that time?! I am assuming she was in the house and had been confronted by the perp. Why the phone call to the pet spa?

jmo

I have been following this case since 2015. Has any evidence or theories come out regarding whether Savvas , Amy or Vera tried to fight their attacker? I'm also wondering why (according to the Spring 2016 DuJour article) if motive and/or ransom was the motive, why all of their other valuables were left in the home?

Dear TFNYBRKS,

Thank you for your excellent questions! Welcome to this thread!!

I am so glad you are here.

I've often asked myself the same question about why the valuables were not taken.

The only answer I can come up with is that all of this was orchestrated through revenge and hate. Deep hatred, evil horrible hatred.

The evil torturing against these human beings is beyond words.

There were hundreds of small items that could have been taken and sold. I do not understand why except for the fact that how these beautiful humans were tortured and killed may be the key .

New info on this feed, first time I saw that home phone lines were cut. warning! some graphic: Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

AS was seen walking dog around 3:30 and there was speculation perp had entered house at her return, but per above:

“[witness] said she initially tried placing a call to the family's home phone number at 3:14 p.m. but the phone was disconnected. This could be a key detail in establishing when prosecutors say they believe Wint entered the family's home before taking them hostage. Amy Savopoulos was seen walking in the neighborhood at about 3:30 p.m. that afternoon, meaning the intruder was already in the house at that point and had cut the phone lines. ”

Dear taylorss,

Thank you for sharing this critical information.

Does the cutting of the phone lines and the fact that Amy was seen out walking during this time period make anyone feel that this was well planned?

I feel that way.

Is there a possibility that this house was being "watched" and for a long period of time? Again, I could be wrong but that's my take on it.

I physically shivered when I heard about the phone lines being cut.

Last edited:
Does the cutting of the phone lines and the fact that Amy was seen out walking during this time period make you feel that this was well planned? I feel that way.

I feel that this house was being "watched" and for a long period of time. Again, I could be wrong but that's my take on it.

I actually shivered when I heard about the phone lines being cut.
Yes - and I got shivers too. I don't know if the perps knew she would walk the dog at the time (but I wouldn't be surprised), but it definitely seems more planned than I originally thought - and I thought it was planned all along. Make sense?

Sinister plot.

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

I agree with your words that this "seems more planned than I originally thought".

Good thinking about the usual time Amy would walk the dog. I hadn't thought of that.

More details will come out in this trial.

This morning's trial update:

Melanie Alnwick (@fox5melanie) | Twitter :

"Emotional testimony from #Savopoulos housekeeper Nelly Gutierrez in #MansionMurders trial. Breaks down as jury hears voice mail from Savvas, telling her Amy is sick, Vera is staying & not to come to work. @fox5dc @Fox5Wagner"

"Nelly Gutierrez said Savvas also said in the voicemail that Vera’s phone died, she didn’t have a charger and he didn’t have one that fit her phone - so Nelly would have to tell people Vera was staying over. Vera usually leaves btwn 3/3:30pm @fox5dc #MansionMurders"

Hey @Harmony 2 ! Can you possibly explain to us why Daron would be en route to turn himself in if he didn't know the murders were happening? I'm really confused! Thank you for your Facebook posts!

I have been following this case since 2015. Has any evidence or theories come out regarding whether Savvas , Amy or Vera tried to fight their attacker? I'm also wondering why (according to the Spring 2016 DuJour article) if motive and/or ransom was the motive, why all of their other valuables were left in the home?

I think he took what he thought was the easiest. From what I have read beyond the 40K the father's wallet was empty and didn't he also have a safe inside the home? Plus I just read that the mom had sustained bruising on her middle finger which LE believes came from a ring forcibly being taken off.

We may never know how much SS had in his safe or in his wallet. The only ones who could attest to that have been murdered. The amount could easily amount to many thousands more beyond the kidnapping ransom amount.

Plus carrying out larger personal property would make him even more noticeable.

It is also obvious the DW isn't the sharpest tool in the tool shed like so many others before him. He and others have been caught because of their own arrogance and stupidity. Like him thinking he could really destroy all of the evidence including his victims by starting the fire.

My heart breaks for all of the SS family and for all of the jurors too who will have to see how these four wonderful human beings were treated by the monster who invaded their home.

There is nothing harder on a jury than to see a young child's body who had been tormented and tortured before they were murdered. It is an image they will never be able to erase from their minds. The fire he set will forever be in their minds as well.

This was a real nightmare that most only know about by seeing movies. The jurors will see what hell.. he put all of them through.

This wasn't a bad dream they could wake up from. All 4 victims where in a living nightmare DW designed and intentionally created. He wanted them all to experience unimaginable suffering and pain.

I feel PS may have been subjected to more prolonged agonizing torture more than the other 3 victims. DW controlled the other 3 by inflicting horrible pain on little PS at different times. He knew the other 3 would promise to do everything he demanded if he wouldn't torture him.

Sadly none of them knew what a cold sociopath they faced. He ruled and controlled them all because he knew they would agree to anything if he didn't harm Philip. He used that undeniable protective love against them and to his advantage.

Jmo

Dear taylorss,

Thank you for sharing this critical information.

Does the cutting of the phone lines and the fact that Amy was seen out walking during this time period make anyone feel that this was well planned?

I feel that way.

Is there a possibility that this house was being "watched" and for a long period of time? Again, I could be wrong but that's my take on it.

I physically shivered when I heard about the phone lines being cut.

That's the only possibility. No way someone could get this far without being caught.

@zencompass Thanks for the warm welcome!

I was just as disturbed when it was described how a normal afternoon turned into a nightmarish hell for that family, and so quickly.

According to the WTOP live blog, the neighbor also testified that Amy was not dressed in her normal attire during her walk. She had on "nice clothes" not the athletic wear one would put on to go walking and she was carrying a large bag. While this may have been what she wore when she took Philip to his doctor's appointment 4 hours had passed. Plenty of time to change clothes. That's odd.
Also,if she was walking a dog (although the testimony I read doesn't mention it), it would be more logical for her to have the housekeeper walk the dog, and she certainly wouldn't do it in a skirt and sweater. If they were being watched, the walk on that day may have strayed from routine.

Everything about this case is chilling.

@zencompass Thanks for the warm welcome!

I was just as disturbed when it was described how a normal afternoon turned into a nightmarish hell for that family, and so quickly.

According to the WTOP live blog, the neighbor also testified that Amy was not dressed in her normal attire during her walk. She had on "nice clothes" not the athletic wear one would put on to go walking and she was carrying a large bag. While this may have been what she wore when she took Philip to his doctor's appointment 4 hours had passed. Plenty of time to change clothes. That's odd.
Also,if she was walking a dog (although the testimony I read doesn't mention it), it would be more logical for her to have the housekeeper walk the dog, and she certainly wouldn't do it in a skirt and sweater. If they were being watched, the walk on that day may have strayed from routine.

Everything about this case is chilling.
Good catch about the clothes!

We know from the garage receipt that Amy left the garage (assuming after the doc appointment) sometime after 11am. Perhaps the mom and son went out to lunch, ran errands, etc so there really wasn't a lot of time to change clothes.

Do we know what time they arrived back home....how long was she home before she took the dog out? Maybe it was immediately??

Thinking aloud...correct my faulty thinking/memory.

jmo

I think he took what he thought was the easiest. From what I have read beyond the 40K the father's wallet was empty and didn't he also have a safe inside the home? Plus I just read that the mom had sustained bruising on her middle finger which LE believes came from a ring forcibly being taken off.

We may never know how much SS had in his safe or in his wallet. The only ones who could attest to that have been murdered. The amount could easily amount to many thousands more beyond the kidnapping ransom amount.

Plus carrying out larger personal property would make him even more noticeable.

It is also obvious the DW isn't the sharpest tool in the tool shed like so many others before him. He and others have been caught because of their own arrogance and stupidity. Like him thinking he could really destroy all of the evidence including his victims by starting the fire.

My heart breaks for all of the SS family and for all of the jurors too who will have to see how these four wonderful human beings were treated by the monster who invaded their home.

There is nothing harder on a jury than to see a young child's body who had been tormented and tortured before they were murdered. It is an image they will never be able to erase from their minds. The fire he set will forever be in their minds as well.

This was a real nightmare that most only know about by seeing movies. The jurors will see what hell.. he put all of them through.

This wasn't a bad dream they could wake up from. All 4 victims where in a living nightmare DW designed and intentionally created. He wanted them all to experience unimaginable suffering and pain.

I feel PS may have been subjected to more prolonged agonizing torture more than the other 3 victims. DW controlled the other 3 by inflicting horrible pain on little PS at different times. He knew the other 3 would promise to do everything he demanded if he wouldn't torture him.

Sadly none of them knew what a cold sociopath they faced. He ruled and controlled them all because he knew they would agree to anything if he didn't harm Philip. He used that undeniable love against them and to his advantage.

Jmo
That honestly doesn't make sense to me. The nature of this crime is obviously because of a personal matter, not a robbery gone wrong, although it was probably orchestrated to appear that way. No robber would take the risk of torturing a family, setting the house ablaze, then stealing and burning the family Porsche. Especially not in a neighborhood like theirs.

Although the prosecution legally doesn't have to provide a motive, I think it's a key detail which should be considered in the context of this crime. No way this is a robbery gone wrong. Unless they can prove Daron had some kind of motive to do this to the Savopoulous' and Figueroa, I'm not buying any of it from the prosecution.

That honestly doesn't make sense to me. The nature of this crime is obviously because of a personal matter, not a robbery gone wrong, although it was probably orchestrated to appear that way. No robber would take the risk of torturing a family, setting the house ablaze, then stealing and burning the family Porsche. Especially not in a neighborhood like theirs.

Although the prosecution legally doesn't have to provide a motive, I think it's a key detail which should be considered in the context of this crime. No way this is a robbery gone wrong. Unless they can prove Daron had some kind of motive to do this to the Savopoulous' and Figueroa, I'm not buying any of it from the prosecution.

I respect your opinion. But your statement about no one would do this for a robbery is sadly just not factual.

Other home invasions leading to multiple murders also have been tortured. Some were raped..even small children before the robber/s murdered all of them.

Other home invasion victims have also gone through their own hell..before being murdered. Most had no links to the home invaders at all and were complete strangers.

I do believe the motive was two fold. Robbery and hatred of SS...because he had been fired from his company even though he had no involvement in his firing. It was DWs supervisor.

This will not be the only case like this when it comes to vicious sadistic home invaders.

They have been known to do the most horrid things to their victims. DW is not an anomaly unfortunately. He knew the father probably by recognition since he was once employed there.

But most who have done home invasions were strangers to the victims yet they have been tortured..raped and they have even set them afire while alive.

Jmo

Last edited:
I respect your opinion. But your statement about no one would do this for a robbery is sadly just not factual.

Other home invasions leading to multiple murders also have been tortured. Some were raped..even small children before the robber murdered all of them.

Sadly others have gone through their own hell..before being murdered. Most had no links to the home invaders at all and were complete strangers.

I do believe the motive was two fold. Robbery and hatred of SS...because he had been fired from his company even though he had no involvement in his firing. It was DWs supervisor.

This will not be the only case like this when it comes to vicious sadistic home invaders.

They have been known to do the most horrid things to their victims. DW is not an anomaly unfortunately. He knew the father probably by recognition since he was once employed there.

But most who have done home invasions were strangers to the victims yet they have been tortured..raped and they have even set them afire while alive.

Jmo

Dear Oceanblueeyes and @Patrick Thomas ,

I respect and agree with both views.

It's just that I can't fathom these tortuous and evil killings without a deep and evil hatred towards the victims.

And yet, as
Oceanblueeyes stated, this type of horrific and torturous murders has occurred before, and to victims who were strangers.

Last edited:
I think the motive was a combination of personal hatred AND greed.

It was a robbery, in that one prime motivator was greed. He wanted cash.

But he also wanted revenge. He had been fired before and he was resentful.

And he had threatened violence before, in other situations. Specifically stabbing children. So another motive for him, was the opportunity to carry out his torture fantasies, imo.

IIRC in the initial press 3 years ago, victims’ neighbors said there were random strangers in their neighborhood (incl vacuum cleaner sellers ?), they’d seen people watching the house, and DW himself was seen around multiple times. (In the local news podcast, DW sister claimed that DW & SS were friends and hung out periodically to explain DW recurring presence on victims’ street.)

I agree, that does sound like they were being watched IMO.

The left-behind valuables undermine theft motive. So they were methodically stalked and brutally murdered... why? Personal revenge? Evidence shows only minimal long-past contact between DW & SS.

It still doesn’t make sense but I guess the trial will bring out info to finally answer these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member