DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be more apt to agree with you if there was evidence that Savvas frequented any auctions and paid in cash.

Otherwise, his request should have thrown up red flags to his sister.

I bolded sister because of all the people in Savvas' life, she should have been the most receptive to the normalcy to his tone of voice and requests.

Did you listen to the calls? He sounded totally normal and calm. HE HAD TO stay calm because that had a knife to his son's throat at the time.

Mansion Murders: 2 witnesses testify they saw man resembling Daron Wint go into garage
18 Sept 2018

Mark Geaghin is the gardener. He’s small and looks a little like the actor Michael Keaton with a slight five-o-clock shadow. He wore a coat and tie with his collar slightly open at the neck. Andrew Tierney is the residence manager. He’s tall with a chiseled chin and gray hair, cut tighter on the sides than the top. Tierney wore a light gray suit, silver shirt, and a gray and silver thin-striped tie. Geaghin and Tierney, in their Aussie accents, testified separately - but said basically the same thing.

Both noticed an African-American man, medium build and height, walking along the sidewalk toward the driveway. He had shoulder-length dreadlocks, wore a white T-shirt and dark jeans, possibly a skullcap, and had a string bag on his back.
Mansion Murders: 2 witnesses testify they saw man resembling Daron Wint go into garage

MORE: Day 1 of Jordan Wallace's testimony

Much of the morning was spent shoring up the testimony that Jordan Wallace gave Monday. The defense attempted to damaged Wallace’s credibility by pointing out the times Wallace changed his statements to police, as well as that deleted text.

“I was afraid my boss would see them and he’d say, ‘you’re taking pictures of my stuff and you’re gone,’” Wallace testified. He also said he did not know what time he deleted the text he sent to his girlfriend.

Interrogation video was shown to the jury again. The room is small and gray, with a small gray square table in the right corner. There is an aluminum chair nestled up to the left side of the gray table and two dark-blue upholstered desk chairs with wheels on opposite sides of the room. Wallace was in the one to the left near the door. Detective Williams was in the blue chair on the right side of the room.

Wallace was wearing coral red pants, a blue and white plaid shirt and white sunglasses - the same outfit he was wearing in the Bank of America video and the video from Lowes’ in Chantilly at noon on Thursday, May 14, 2015.

At one point when Wallace was waiting for detectives to arrive, he was bent over with elbows on his knees and his hands on his head. He appeared shaken and anxious, his voice cracking as he spoke with Williams. At another point, Wallace was in the chair next to Williams as he was showing the detective his cellphone and giving him the passcode.

RELATED: Mansion Murders Trial: Witnesses, evidence detail last encounters with Amy Savopoulos

In one clip, Williams, a broad man with white hair wearing a blue blazer and khaki pants, is heard saying to Wallace, “It causes me a lot of concern that you would omit this.”

Williams was talking about a message from Savvas Savopoulos that Wallace had overlooked on his phone. “I genuinely didn’t mean… sir, I’m not trying to hide anything, I’m not,” Wallace replies. “I was comfortable showing it (his phone) to you because I didn’t.”

Prosecutor Laura Bach read a transcript of another exchange with Williams, where Williams told Wallace he did not believe the story about getting the cash at the bank.

RELATED: Prosecutors paint horrific blood-soaked crime scene in opening statements

“The *advertiser censored*ing bank is not going to give you $40,000 and let you walk out and say, ‘Hey, you’re a loyal customer - here… but that s**t in your *advertiser censored*ing bag and walk out,’” Williams said.

Bach noted for the jury that Wallace, after a four-and-a-half-hour interview, did correct his assertions about the car being unlocked, the money being placed by Wallace into a manila envelope and the date he first got a message from Savvas Savopoulos about the package delivery job.

“I’m sorry,” he is heard telling the detective. “It’s been a long day.”

RELATED: Jury learns of $40K ransom delivery

“Were you trying to get it wrong? Were you trying to lie to them?” asked Laura Bach.

“No,” Wallace said. He stated he was still worried about what had happened and didn’t know what was going on.

“I was scared, confused,” Wallace said. “It was a lot.”

Bach also questioned Wallace about his past marijuana use. Wallace asserted it was only in college, and that he never purchased marijuana from anyone named Wint.

Finally, Bach got to the direct question: “Did you conspire with Darrell Wint to rob or murder your boss’s family?”

“No,” Wallace answered.

“Did you conspire with Stefon Wint to rob or murder your boss’s family?” Bach questioned.
“No,” Wallace answered again.

“Did you have anything to do with these murders?” Bach continued.

“No,” Wallace stated.

Yes, I believe the cause of death was thermal and sharp force injuries (indicating he was still alive when house set on fire).
3 years later, where case stands in brutal Savopoulos mansion murders | WTOP

I know some people have been able to hear what they think is Philip's voice in the background of
one of SS earliest calls. I wonder if Philip speaking up like that angered DW so much that he specifically retaliated against Philip. Brave Philip! And brave SS who tried to convey calm confidence at all times probably hoping to reassure the others who were trapped in that nightmare with him.

I would be more apt to agree with you if there was evidence that Savvas frequented any auctions and paid in cash.

Otherwise, his request should have thrown up red flags to his sister.

I bolded sister because of all the people in Savvas' life, she should have been the most receptive to the normalcy to his tone of voice and requests.

The transcripts and testimony I have read thus far indicate SS sounded normal.
The years of training in martial arts kicked in - not the sword training, but the mental training that is part of MA.

JMO

I agree! He knocked on the door to tell them about the smoke coming out and then called 911 immediately.

The carbon dioxide alarms would be going off as well as their smoke detectors. Whether there was a system hooked up to these alerts to notify outside people, I have no idea.

This too, may come out in the trial.

Yes, testimony from a couple days ago talked about alerts that were received by the alarm company. According to DC Fox affiliate, Melanie Alwick (posted on her Fox FB page on 9/13 -- Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC):

"At 1:07 pm, there was a system alarm for a glass break in the upstairs hallway.
at 1:22, an alert for gas trouble, then carbon monoxide, and at 1:35, fire."

Since Wint was seen just after lunchtime ducking into the garage by the Australian embassy residence employees, I have to wonder if what happened was something like this:

- Wint double-checked with Amy about any plans for anyone else to come by the house and forced her to call the sprinkler company to cancel their appointment (approx 1:09)
- Wint then went to get the gas from the garage (when he was seen)
- Savvas seized the opportunity to get free, or partially free and then started to try to free Amy (since his body was found on top of hers)
- Wint returned, saw what was happening, and killed both of them with some combination of weapons and/or strangulation
- Wint then doused the upper floor with gas and left in the Porsche

I have to wonder if he used the Porsche to go get the gas at some point that day, and I also would really like to know what happened between the fire at 1:35-1:40 and 5:30 PM when the Porsche was found burning.

The transcripts and testimony I have read thus far indicate SS sounded normal.
The years of training in martial arts kicked in - not the sword training, but the mental training that is part of MA.

JMO

Yeah I remember hearing a VM from SS, I think the one for Nelly, in the weeks after the crime. Even with all we knew then, I couldn’t hear any hint of what was going on in his voice. He sounded natural, relaxed, considerate and affectionate. My first reaction was it had to be the wrong link! There was just no way that VM had been left by someone in SS’s horrific situation. But it was. MOO

Yes, testimony from a couple days ago talked about alerts that were received by the alarm company. According to DC Fox affiliate, Melanie Alwick (posted on her Fox FB page on 9/13 -- Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC):

"At 1:07 pm, there was a system alarm for a glass break in the upstairs hallway.
at 1:22, an alert for gas trouble, then carbon monoxide, and at 1:35, fire."

Since Wint was seen just after lunchtime ducking into the garage by the Australian embassy residence employees, I have to wonder if what happened was something like this:

- Wint double-checked with Amy about any plans for anyone else to come by the house and forced her to call the sprinkler company to cancel their appointment (approx 1:09)
- Wint then went to get the gas from the garage (when he was seen)
- Savvas seized the opportunity to get free, or partially free and then started to try to free Amy (since his body was found on top of hers)
- Wint returned, saw what was happening, and killed both of them with some combination of weapons and/or strangulation
- Wint then doused the upper floor with gas and left in the Porsche

I have to wonder if he used the Porsche to go get the gas at some point that day, and I also would really like to know what happened between the fire at 1:35-1:40 and 5:30 PM when the Porsche was found burning.

So if the glass breakage sensor went off at 1:07, I am assuming the alarm company called the house or the number they had been given. And no one answered. That should have been big red flag!! Since we know the phone lines were cut, why didn’t the alarm company call 911?

I had glass breakage monitors in a previous house, and if one went off my home phone, then cell phone were called by the alarm company. If I didn’t answer and give the code word, not the alarm “disarm” code, the police were dispatched immediately with no sirens.

JMO and life experiences

Really? I thought that was a staple in most of the articles I've read..

I’ve seen specific references to COD for SS & VF - actually multiple and conflicting - but as far as AS I’ve only seen it lumped in with ‘the adults all died of sharp force injuries / strangulation’ or likewise.

Not necessarily meaningful or significant of anything..... I was just curious if others had noticed the same thing or else seen the info. MOO!

I’ve seen specific references to COD for SS & VF - actually multiple and conflicting - but as far as AS I’ve only seen it lumped in with ‘the adults all died of sharp force injuries / strangulation’ or likewise.

Not necessarily meaningful or significant of anything..... I was just curious if others had noticed the same thing or else seen the info. MOO!

On page 7 and 8 of Preliminary Hearing it states blunt force and sharp force trauma and strangulation for SS and VF. This is in Det. Owens testimony.

I still have 80 pages to read of PH.

JMO

So if the glass breakage sensor went off at 1:07, I am assuming the alarm company called the house or the number they had been given. And no one answered. That should have been big red flag!! Since we know the phone lines were cut, why didn’t the alarm company call 911?

I had glass breakage monitors in a previous house, and if one went off my home phone, then cell phone were called by the alarm company. If I didn’t answer and give the code word, not the alarm “disarm” code, the police were dispatched immediately with no sirens.

JMO and life experiences

Alarm system in my house has sensors that note whenever a door/window is opened or a sharp noise is picked up by the “glass break” sensor. But unless the system is activated “armed” there’s no alarm sounded. Only when alarm sounds is there a checkup call & potential police dispatch. JMO, every system could be different.

IMO Daron Wint must have traveled to CT to get that rental car. It is highly unlikely a rental car company in NY would have cars registered in CT.

My personal experience renting cars is that the big rental carplaces have cars with plates from all over. I rented a car in GA with AZ plates, I rented a car in CA with Texas plates, etc. I don't think he necessarily had to go to CT to get a car with CT plates.

Twenty posts removed. Excerpt from our rules:

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them.

Rules - Etiquette & Information

Please do not quote a post that is against TOS. Alert it and move on. If you are new to Websleuths please familiarize yourself with our terms of service. Thanks

Last edited:
On page 7 and 8 of Preliminary Hearing it states blunt force and sharp force trauma and strangulation for SS and VF. This is in Det. Owens testimony.

I still have 80 pages to read of PH.

JMO

The PH transcript has so much info & answers, it is a great resource. Thank you again to zencompass for posting it!! I can’t figure out how to link your post so I’ll repost your priceless link at the bottom of this.

On PH trans p. 123-4 the detective testifies that DW brother traveling in caravan with DW at time of arrest (elsewhere reported as Darrell) told detective he’d purchased the $23k in money orders found in caravan on intruction from DW, using 100$ bills (same denomination as the would-be ransom) given to him by DW, and also that the $7k in 100$ bills found in his vehicle had been given to him by DW. Per same, DarrellW was cuffed at the scene for officers’ safety but not arrested. He was transported to station for questioning then released without arrest. FWIW

Link courtesy of zencompass: PH Transcript

Does anyone know how DW got to the house on 5/13? He drove Amy's car from the house the next day. Did he get a ride there on 5/13? I don't remember reading/hearing this anywhere.

I have not read how DW got to the S house.

Any DC people on here —is there public transportation in Woodley Park? Bus line stop nearby?
Uber? Lyft? Friend?

And did LE ever find the “ aggressive vacuum cleaner salesperson”?

Yes, I've noticed that AS's COD and injuries haven't been specified. It's my guess that her injuries were such that the exact COD can't be determined. Perhaps any one of the injuries could have been the fatal injury. I also have a sinking feeling she might have been otherwise violated and that has been kept quiet. This is NOT a fact, just speculation on my part. I'm assuming the autopsy reports for all victims will be presented. That will be a tough day in the courtroom.

jmo

I have not read how DW got to the S house.

Any DC people on here —is there public transportation in Woodley Park? Bus line stop nearby?
Uber? Lyft? Friend?

And did LE ever find the “ aggressive vacuum cleaner salesperson”?

I'm no longer a DC local, but I was as recently as a few months ago.

Lyft, Uber, cab, etc. are all options. There is a red line WMATA train stop (Woodley Park) about 3/4 of a mile from where they lived. There are other bus routes within a few blocks, although it's very unlikely he could easily get there via bus from where he lived. If he took public transportation, the train is much more likely IMO.

I've always speculated that he got a ride from someone, partially because I still think there were others involved.

I'm honestly shocked we still don't know these kinds of details about this crime. That area of DC houses the VP, ambassadors, and many wealthy families. The fact that they lived across the street from the Ambassador of Australia and within a few blocks of the VP's residence, and there's still seemingly no video evidence of him arriving or leaving (that we know of, at least) is honestly shocking to me.

Additionally, if they suspected he took the train, they should have been able to get security videos from the likely stations he used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee