DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How far was the burned car located from the murder scene?

If it was in the general area then I see no reason for him to have had help. It would be rather easy for him to do this by himself imo.

Was this the same car that had the green vest in it? The same vest Wint was seen wearing? The same vest that may have his DNA on it?

Was anyone else Wint knew seen in the area? It sounds like he was desperately trying to catch a ride out of there.

Wow!
And F and D are next to each other on the keyboard...hmmmm.
Wonder who Faron was calling??

JMO

I took it to mean he texted Daron saying they need to talk. Or someone else that could get him in touch with Daron. Hopefully they have the numbers he dialed. 10 different people OR I believe he might have called same person 10 times. Maybe he called DW and DW was too busy to answer each time. Just thinking out loud.

If it was all uabout 40k - what about these items?

“Remember a red-wheeled bag that was spotted in video of the foyer that was shown during opening statements? Lancaster said that was processed as well, plus the contents, including a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two computer memory cards.”
——-Melanie Alnwick, Fox5 DC

Why are the phones of SS, AS, and VF missing?
And why does it now appear that a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two memory cards were headed out the door in a red suitcase....

I doubt if the S family kept suitcases in the foyer.

JMO-MOO

Imo this was never about money or possessions. This is about a psychopath settling a long held grudge. Psychopathe which are also narcissists are known to hold grudges for years before they act on it. This is why these victims were murdered in such a heinous manner.

When they resort to murder it's often horrific overkills like this one.

Imo he wanted SS to believe they had a chance if he jumped through hoops to get him cash. Another way to demean them all because he knew no amount of money was going to save any of them. He amused himself by toying with their emotions he knew he had created..

I have several saved links that I will try to post tomorrow about how psychopaths hold extreme long held grudges. They never forget or forgive. They will nurture their rage and hatred for years always wanting to exacr revenge.

That is why Philip caught the brunt of his cruelty. He reprented the spoiled child of privilege belonging to the man he blames for him being fired. Their reasonings are very illogical. They never accept they are the ones who were truly to blame. Self blame is not an option or being held accountable.

He is the same as Chase Merritt. Both totally capable of ending the lives of innocent children in the most heinous way possible never blinking an eye..

Imoo

Last edited:
@oceanblueeyes what is your opinion on the Australian embassy employees seeing someone who fits DWs description entering the house at noon? You are both knowledgeable and insightful. Have you ever heard of a suspect leaving his hostages alone?

Not sweet oceanblueeyes but I am thinking he had them very well restrained (in chairs i believe it was stated) as in immovable and probably not right next to each other. Maybe there wasn't any way for them to escape. Moo.

I took it to mean he texted Daron saying they need to talk. Or someone else that could get him in touch with Daron. Hopefully they have the numbers he dialed. 10 different people OR I believe he might have called same person 10 times. Maybe he called DW and DW was too busy to answer each time. Just thinking out loud.

I thought it was Daron saying “Hey it’s Daron” because he was calling people and texting them from a number that did not belong to him. The number would not be showing up as DW in their phone address book. DW was using the Douglas Ventura’s (the tow truck driver) phone.

That is probably why no one answered.
JMO and interpretation

Snipped
So the sword was ON the toilet, not IN it. (Not that it really matters, I suppose....just a detail that stuck out at me.)
jmo

Actually it was there because a detective put it there ("Earlier in the trial, Detective Mike Pavero testified that he discovered the sword in a pile of debris, and had picked it up with a gloved hand and almost cut himself."), but the sword had been found elsewhere.

If it was in the general area then I see no reason for him to have had help. It would be rather easy for him to do this by himself imo.

Was this the same car that had the green vest in it? The same vest Wint was seen wearing? The same vest that may have his DNA on it?

Was anyone else Wint knew seen in the area? It sounds like he was desperately trying to catch a ride out of there.

Dear Oceanblueeyes,

From Preliminary Hearing transcript:

Page 11 lines 14 - 25 neon construction vest recovered from burned Porsche

Page 12 lines 1- 10 Vest had DNA on it from S.S. and D.W.

D Wint/ Savopoulos Preliminary Hearing | Courtroom | Witness

Last edited:
** New: Testimony from tow-truck driver **

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 33m33 minutes ago
Also significant- tow truck driver testifies the man used his phone to make 10 calls, no answers. Then man sent a text from his phone that reads, “Is Faron call me now. Need to talk.” Could be sent by Daron Wint? Driver said he couldn’t ID the man **

OK I see now I thought the above was saying IS Faron/Daron there ... need to talk. Whereas IF the caller was Daron I would think he would have said ITS Daron, not IS.

OK I see now I thought the above was saying IS Faron/Daron there ... need to talk. Whereas IF the caller was Daron I would think he would have said ITS Daron, not IS.

I’m thinking proper English was not important when he’s calling 10 times on a borrowed phone.
What if the tow truck driver said no, you can’t use my phone?

And how did the tow truck driver get paid by this guy/DW ?
Cash? $100 bill?

JMO

New Carrolton is about a half hour drive away from the murder scene with no traffic. Many of the routes get very backed up during rush hour in DC. It's about an hour and a half on the train (varies a bit depending on the time of day).

If he really did have a van in Foggy Bottom (sorry, I've been in and out of this today- not sure if he really did have a vehicle there), that might actually answer how he got to the crime scene. Foggy Bottom is about a 40 minute walk away from the murder scene, and is about a 2o min train ride away on the Metro. He might have parked it somewhere there and then went up to the house, which would explain why there was no car of his near the house.

New Carrolton is about a half hour drive away from the murder scene with no traffic. Many of the routes get very backed up during rush hour in DC. It's about an hour and a half on the train (varies a bit depending on the time of day).

If he really did have a van in Foggy Bottom (sorry, I've been in and out of this today- not sure if he really did have a vehicle there), that might actually answer how he got to the crime scene. Foggy Bottom is about a 40 minute walk away from the murder scene, and is about a 2o min train ride away on the Metro. He might have parked it somewhere there and then went up to the house, which would explain why there was no car of his near the house.

From WTOP’s Megan Cloherty
“A tow truck driver testified he was approached by a black man near location of burning Porsche in Lanham, MD and drove him to pick up a blue minivan in Foggy Bottom. Minivan is Daron Wint’s. Defense asked if man was covered in blood or smelled like fire & gas? No.”

If it was all about 40k - what about these items?

“Remember a red-wheeled bag that was spotted in video of the foyer that was shown during opening statements? Lancaster said that was processed as well, plus the contents, including a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two computer memory cards.”
——-Melanie Alnwick, Fox5 DC

Why are the phones of SS, AS, and VF missing?
And why does it now appear that a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two memory cards were headed out the door in a red suitcase....

I doubt if the S family kept suitcases in the foyer.

JMO-MOO
ITA. I've always thought this was a hired hit and it was tied to their business.

May 14 -
Tow-truck driver drove man (DW?) from Lanham, MD to DC to pick up minivan - about 2:00 PM ?
Tow-truck driver's truck entered D.C. via New York Avenue and Montana Avenue at 2:25 PM
Porsche found on fire in Lanham, MD about 5:30 PM

Anyone local who can assist with travel times?
SS home to Lanham, MD
Lanham, MD to DC near George Washington University
DC back to Lanham, MD

According to WTOP, the tow-truck driver drove a man (DW?) from Lanham, MD into DC to pick up a minivan.
> asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University.
> a D.C. traffic camera picked up the driver's truck entering D.C. via New York Avenue and Montana Avenue at 2:25 p.m. on May 14
> The driver told jurors he towed the car back to the same area where he picked up the passenger.
> a blue Porsche, which belonged to the family, was found set ablaze in a parking lot in Lanham, Maryland. The parking lot is near 85th Avenue where Daron Wint, the man charged with the killings, and several family members lived.
> The car was found on fire at about 5:30 p.m. on May 14. Earlier that afternoon, a witness reported to police seeing the car being driven erratically by a black man with short, well-groomed hair wearing a green construction vest.

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Sept. 24, 2018 -- Day 7: 'Is Faron call me now. Need to talk.'

A tow-truck driver testified Monday about an encounter he had with a man he picked up near where the Savopoulos' blue Porsche was found burning on May 14, 2015.

Douglas Ventura, who owns a towing company, told jurors he was approached by a man on Annapolis Road in Lanham, Maryland, who asked for a ride into D.C. to pick up a minivan that had been parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. near George Washington University.

The tow-truck driver said he doesn't remember the passenger's age only that he was a dark-skinned man. Speaking through a translater, the driver said even if he saw that passenger today, he couldn't ID him. The driver also said he didn't see any blood on the man's clothes or smell gasoline.

Although the driver worked for AAA, there's no record of the towing, because it wasn't placed through the service, he told jurors.
Still, a D.C. traffic camera picked up the driver's truck entering D.C. via New York Avenue and Montana Avenue at 2:25 p.m. on May 14 -- about an hour after firefighters received the first report of the Savopoulos house being on fire.

Ventura testified the man asked to use the his phone, which he used to make calls and send text messages. According to call and text records, the man made 10 calls from the driver's phone to different numbers, all of which apparently went unanswered. Phone records show a text message sent from the tow-truck driver's phone: "Is Faron call me now. Need to talk." The person on the other end of the text message responded "yo." (Note: That name is not a typo; that's the exact transcription of the text message shown in court)

The driver told jurors he towed the car back to the same area where he picked up the passenger.

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Sept. 24, 2018 -- Day 7: The burning Porsche

Hours after three members of the Savopoulos family and their housekeepers were killed, a blue Porsche, which belonged to the family, was found set ablaze in a parking lot in Lanham, Maryland. The parking lot is near 85th Avenue where Daron Wint, the man charged with the killings, and several family members lived.
[...]
The car was found on fire at about 5:30 p.m. on May 14. Earlier that afternoon, a witness reported to police seeing the car being driven erratically by a black man with short, well-groomed hair wearing a green construction vest, according to previous police affidavits. However, Daron Wint has shoulder-length dreadlocks-style hair.

Inside the Porsche, on the driver's-side floor, investigators found one of the green vests, Norris said. (Investigators later said they found Wint's DNA on that vest).

Norris said he doesn't know what time the fire started but in his estimation, the car was on fire less than 15 minutes before firefighters arrived.

In 2001 Colorado Springs was installing cameras in the sewer system. They already had them at every major intersection. This happened in Washington D.C. There just has to be pictures of whoever was driving the blue Porsche. My own security cameras record every car/person/animal that travels down my street 24/7 and holds it for 1 month.

there may have been one person to ditch the car and another one who set it on fire. This all seemed well-thought out. JMO
I am also wondering if there were two people. What do you guys think of this:

* DW drives minivan to D.C. and walks to mansion

* After the fire, he drives Amy's car to the location near his family's residence

* Perhaps he was supposed to meet someone for a lift back to his car, but they didn't show up.

* DW hitches a ride with the tow-truck back to his minivan

* Either DW or someone else sets fire to Amy's car

??

jmo

Tow-truck driver towed the minivan back to Lanham.
After the tow-truck driver drove DW to DC, why didn't DW drive his minivan? Why was it towed back to Lanham, MD?
My assumption is that the minivan was broken down. I wonder if DW intended to be at the mansion earlier in the day, but he had car trouble so he didn't arrive until after 3pm. I wonder if he arrived earlier and demands for cash could've been met without waiting overnight if the outcome would've been different, if the family would've been spared? No way of knowing, of course, just wondering.

jmo

Tow-truck driver towed the minivan back to Lanham.
After the tow-truck driver drove DW to DC, why didn't DW drive his minivan? Why was it towed back to Lanham, MD?

I don’t think this was answered.
Do we know if it was put on a flatbed or a traditional tow?

JMO-
A. It wouldn't run so it was towed. The tow truck driver was AAA so he could have fixed a flat or charged a battery.
B. Or he didn’t want it to be read by license plate readers— we have those here - does LE use these in DC, MD and No. VA?

Minivan later torched...
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads