GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have thought about this case many times over the years. I had it so incredibly wrong, I was absolutely CONVINCED that the driver had something to do with it, which I recognize was totally, totally incorrect. I've gotten some things right over the years, but it's always good for me to remind myself that I sometimes get things very wrong.
I haven't been in here in a while but still like to talk about this case. It's just stuck in my brain. Amy and Savvas would be doting grandparents right now. ..

Most of the people that I know, including myself, thought the exact same thing you did. Wallace had something to do w/it. Were the people Wint was driving w/ before he was arrested have anything to do w/ it? The three years before trial news on the case was at a standstill. Nothing leaked out about how the investigation was going. But as time wore on and Wallace nor anyone else was never arrested, I began to have my doubts. If he or anyone else was guilty, or if they had anything on anyone then why were they allowed to walk the streets? There was no link or communication between Wint and Wallace. None. Once the trial started and all the evidence came out, it was obvious that he had nothing to do w/it. He wasn't the kind of guy that would hurt anyone, especially little Phillip.

The details of what happened, Wint will take to his grave. Why did he leave the house and go to Dupont assuming after he killed everyone? Or did he leave the house and kill everyone when he got back? I doubt it. He would not leave 4 people alive and leave the house. Who knows? Where'd he get all the gas to burn down the house?

In one of the last episodes of 22 hours, it was mentioned that Wint was talking to inmates about what happened while waiting for trial in the DC jail. That "Phillip cried for his mother when Darren was about to kill him" That he felt Savvas "raised a weak son." And that Savvas " was weak himself" just horrible things that were really tough to listen to.

I don't think much will come of Wint's appeal. He's just grasping. Sitting and rotting in jail where he belongs.

I still think about this case a lot too. Phillip would be starting his senior year in a few weeks. I hope the girls are doing well.

I never really bought into Wallace having something to do with it and I glad he has been absolved. However, I have never been able to come to grips with Wint not having any help. I thought his brothers must have been involved but it appears I was wrong about that. I still have trouble coming to terms that Wint was able to do so much of this with no help. A part of me will always wonder if he had help along the way.

I still think about this case a lot too. Phillip would be starting his senior year in a few weeks. I hope the girls are doing well.

I never really bought into Wallace having something to do with it and I glad he has been absolved. However, I have never been able to come to grips with Wint not having any help. I thought his brothers must have been involved but it appears I was wrong about that. I still have trouble coming to terms that Wint was able to do so much of this with no help. A part of me will always wonder if he had help along the way.
I don't know how old you are but there is the case of Richard Speck who murdered 8 young nurses all by himself in Chicago. One nurse hid and managed to survive and testify at his trial. She is a hero. The date of the murder was July 10, 1966. The case is immortalized in the book "The Crime of the Century." The surviving nurse's name is Corazon Amurao. I believe Wint committed his crime without help: it can be done- it has been done.

I never thought it was impossible for one person to carry out the crime because, as others have pointed out, it's been done plenty of times. In Wint's case, he was lucky to only encounter one adult at a time, and he caught each one by surprise.

I guess we will never know why he picked the Savopoulos house (did he really know that it was the home of the President of his former employer, or was it random, if not random, how did he know the address?), why that particular day, why all the violence when they would have given him money to make him go away... so many whys.

I think we expected that the appellate would deem the Superior Court Judge erred by not allowing the defense to call the witness but the evidence against Wint was overwhelming to ever allow a new trial.

From the link:

Among the evidence prosecutors showed the jury: the testimony of a friend who told jurors Darrell Wint was at his house in Gaithersburg, Maryland, watching his friend’s original music video that was uploaded to YouTube on the same day the crime began unfolding, accompanied by a timestamp from the music-streaming platform.

Following the prosecution’s rebuttal case, Daron Wint’s attorney’s sought the trial court’s permission to call an additional witness during what would have been a “sur-rebuttal” phase of the case. The witness was a woman who lived at the same Gaithersburg house, who said Darrell Wint usually called or texted before he stopped by — and phone records indicated the only calls or texts between the two were several days after the killings.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Juliet McKenna blocked defense attorneys from calling the additional witness, saying the woman’s testimony was equivocal and that defense attorneys had the opportunity to call her in their own case and hadn’t done so.

In its decision Thursday, the appeals court said McKenna erred by not allowing the additional witness, saying the woman’s testimony “did squarely meet and call into question the government’s suggestion that Darrell was in Gaithersburg” on the day the victims were taken hostage.

“However, in light of the overwhelming weight of other evidence against appellant, there are no grounds for reversal,” the court ruled.

Hmm would Darrell’s whereabouts change Daron’s outcome anyway tho? Even if there was evidence Darrell was there, Daron isn’t any less guilty
I recall talking heads speaking about this when the Judge blocked the attorneys from calling witnesses later instead of the defense calling this witness when they presented their case.

IMO, all the witness could offer was a pattern of contact by Wint. And here, he didn't follow the pattern. I too thought it was reasonable not to allow this witness but I later understood the rules are different for “sur-rebuttal” phase of the case.

IMO, the defense was relying on a witness to say Wint was somewhere that the prosecution proved he could not have been. The defense saying so didn't make it true.

His appeal was a last grasp at a new trial. Pure BS and a total waste of tax dollars. He did it and he knows he did it. I just hope someone takes that guy out. Child killers are really looked down on in jail. Maybe someone will get him and do away w/ him, like what happened to Dahmer.

Edit: Apologize, just noticed this was first aired September 2015, so may have been posted before, but YouTube posting is February 2024. Maybe it’s been updated with the comments from experts and LE because in 2015 Wint had been caught but not convicted. This story interested me because, despite being a sick, despicable person, I still don’t feel like DW was alone in committing this crime.
—————————
According to this documentary, there is some new thinking on this horrendous crime — towards the end they discuss whether Wint had assistance (starts after 34:00 mark). For those of us who closely followed this case, you will hear a few mistakes in facts, but it’s basically correct.

Inside the DC Mansion Murders (2015)

CNN on YouTube | 10 Feb. 2024​

CNN's Pamela Brown speaks with investigators and law enforcement officials about the dramatic story of the 2015 Washington, DC mansion murders that left four dead.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Before.the.dawn
Back