DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, he could of had a specific need (medical, DUI,etc) hadnt thought of that. Also someone mentioned the driver for Philip. As a Mother I dont think I would be keen on a race car guy driving my son around. Its different if he is teaching him through a mutable hobby of racing go-go-karts on a track. I just think it was weird this guy had access to all this families personal vehicles to just drive around. I dont get it and I have my "rich and snooty" hat on, lol.

I am wondering if the assistant/driver drove Phillip around in the flashy cars, perhaps even back to his old neighborhood where Wint's family happens to live.

First time posting but have lurked here for years. I have followed this from the start and I am wondering why people keep saying DW had a machete. I know years ago he was caught with one. Now it is being repeatedly referred to like fact that he had one during this awful crime. Its just causing me confusion. Has LE said he used one and I some how missed it?

Over 20 years a Banker, several in Private Banking (for the Elite/Wealthy) I never saw anyone take any short cut for any client. And frankly if an educated wealthy client of mine asked me to break the rules and potentially lose my job - I would have been very concerned by the request RED FLAG. The federal regulations are ironclad and will not only get you fired, but could have your BANK severely fined by the Feds.

So while bankers will do everything possible, faxing agreements, sending couriers to collect signatures, etc - they will still work to get what they need nicely for CYA. Bankers need their jobs. So i'm sure SS could have called a personal banker and asked him to jump through hoops to help, but its just not fast unless the whole thing was pre-arranged. As in prearranged before Wednesday. I think it must have been pre-set and triggered this crime.

And I still wonder why an art Auction would require so much cash??? Sorry people are buying stuff - expensive stuff - usually not conducted with cash. I really wondered what the original plan was- or if SS and his family operated on a $40K weekly or monthly budget? I'm not wealthy or brave - so I use credit cards.

Was anyone invited to this Auction?

If one of your wealthy clients was watching a crazy machete wielding man threaten their duct taped family, wouldl there have been a way for them to come up with a valid reason to convince you that they needed cash for one of their four businesses the next day? I am just wondering how SS did it. Maybe there was a prearranged discussion but SS needed it sped up a bit by one day?

Federal Banking Rules on Withdrawing Large Sums of Cash

http://finance.zacks.com/federal-banking-rules-withdrawing-large-sums-cash-1696.html

I can tell you a few stories about people that have money and how the bank treats them and how they treat their banks. But first and foremost I bet that what ever SS asked the bank to do they did it. As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know. Some customers pretty much kinda own their branch, there are lots of rich people. jmo idk

Then why ask for a mere $40K? I don't see what motive DW would have to ask for that amount if it was DW's idea or if it was SS's idea why he'd come up with that figure to offer DW as to at least offering in the six figures for the lives of him and his family. SS doesn't come across as a cheapskate that he'd put such a low value on his family as that.

First time posting but have lurked here for years. I have followed this from the start and I am wondering why people keep saying DW had a machete. I know years ago he was caught with one. Now it is being repeatedly referred to like fact that he had one during this awful crime. Its just causing me confusion. Has LE said he used one and I some how missed it?

It has been said that the victims were stabbed. So there is speculation that he used a machete since he had one at one time that he carried in his backpack. But no proof of that so far.

OH and :welcome: to WS.

Then why ask for a mere $40K? I don't see what motive DW would have to ask for that amount if it was DW's idea or if it was SS's idea why he'd come up with that figure to offer DW as to at least offering in the six figures for the lives of him and his family. SS doesn't come across as a cheapskate that he'd put such a low value on his family as that.

I think SS asked around to see how much cash he could come up with . And 40 k was it apparently.

I'm getting at that the kidnapping had been going on for longer than 24 hours, this was a pre-planned transaction, SS had been making other large cash withdrawals and so this wasn't unusual for the AIW account, etc. Having multiple businesses it isn't usual that you'd need that much physical cash as opposed to just doing paper transactions. I have said on here many times that if he was able to get large amounts of physical cash quickly without raising suspicion that it wasn't his first rodeo doing that and that word could have reached DW that SS has people pick up lots of cash for him.
But imo it doesn't appear that W1 was aware of this. His last story was that he showed up in Hyattsville and the employee took the cash bundles out of his pockets. Also, he took the pic of the cash... as if he had never seen that much cash before, albeit it appeared to be only 20k and only one was wrapped with a white band.

I'm getting at that the kidnapping had been going on for longer than 24 hours, this was a pre-planned transaction, SS had been making other large cash withdrawals and so this wasn't unusual for the AIW account, etc. Having multiple businesses it isn't usual that you'd need that much physical cash as opposed to just doing paper transactions. I have said on here many times that if he was able to get large amounts of physical cash quickly without raising suspicion that it wasn't his first rodeo doing that and that word could have reached DW that SS has people pick up lots of cash for him.

That I agree with. But it is a long leap from there to DW being a co-conspirator with the other employees. He may have heard some things about Money being in that house or car, but not the same thing as someone saying LETS DO THIS TOGETHER. JMO

If one of your wealthy clients was watching a crazy machete wielding man threaten their duct taped family, wouldl there have been a way for them to come up with a valid reason that they needed cash for one of their four businesses the next day? I am just wondering how SS did it. Maybe there was a prearranged discussion but SS needed it sped up a bit by one day?

This is kind of my point. SS must have seemed calm cool and collected during this ordeal if he did this on the fly without alerting his Banker or his accountant of a problem.

So I am pretty much set on this being a one time prearranged deal or a recurring transaction. That is the only way, as a Banker, I would not have had my mental alarms ringing. On several occasions, in regular branch, I made excuses to separate my client from a "companion" to get the true story of an odd transaction. And I'm not the only one - many of our employees - stopped crimes from occurring.

So if it was prearranged, recurring, I do still wonder for what purpose - and how many people were familiar with this system? Risky.

If one of your wealthy clients was watching a crazy machete wielding man threaten their duct taped family, wouldl there have been a way for them to come up with a valid reason that they needed cash for one of their four businesses the next day? I am just wondering how SS did it. Maybe there was a prearranged discussion but SS needed it sped up a bit by one day?

I'm not sure that SS delivered what he wanted delivered. I think SS may have got the most he was able to in whatever notice he gave the bank, but I can't imagine that either DW or SS came up with the $40K figure. I could for instance see how that the bank branch would have a hard limit of $40K cash withdrawal in whatever timeframe of notice they received. I would think that SS and DW would want more than that and I think that's why SS was doing a flurry of calls trying to get more than just $40K for the life of him and his family.

It doesn't appear Witness 1 had regular hours.

Just fantasizing here with NO facts, what if he did like to drive over and show off the cars to his Dad or neighborhood acquaintances on his spare time. What if he parked the car and was giving them a good look and DW and posse walked up...and he started talking about this family he worked for. DW could say.."oh, yeah, I used to work for his company too."

Witness One could say..."Well, I gotta get the car back." And DW could say.."Hey, where does he live again?"

It could have been as simple as that.

No shock if Witness One was showing off these cars; no shock, if DW who has his own pictures of hot cars (he could never own) on his Facebook...wouldn't be drawn like like a magnet if he saw such a car in the neighborhood.

Over 20 years a Banker, several in Private Banking (for the Elite/Wealthy) I never saw anyone take any short cut for any client. And frankly if an educated wealthy client of mine asked me to break the rules and potentially lose my job - I would have been very concerned by the request RED FLAG. The federal regulations are ironclad and will not only get you fired, but could have your BANK severely fined by the Feds.

So while bankers will do everything possible, faxing agreements, sending couriers to collect signatures, etc - they will still work to get what they need nicely for CYA. Bankers need their jobs. So i'm sure SS could have called a personal banker and asked him to jump through hoops to help, but its just not fast unless the whole thing was pre-arranged. As in prearranged before Wednesday. I think it must have been pre-set and triggered this crime.
I've wondered the same thing: whether SS was periodically withdrawing large sums of cash, and this is what triggered the crime, if such habits were known. This would require an insider. (For example, someone who drove him to the bank for each pickup.)

As for the purpose, could SS be transporting cash to Puerto Rico periodically to deposit in his hedge fund? Puerto Rico is a legal tax haven for permanent residents, and SS was reportedly interested in establishing permanent residency there, presumably for the tax advantages. He reportedly made frequent trips to Puerto Rico specifically for his hedge fund. I presume that this was less about managing the hedge fund (which could be done from anywhere) than to establish that he spent at least half a year in Puerto Rico, as is required for residency declaration, and perhaps to make in-person cash deposits.

$40K per week is $2 million in annual deposits. Maybe someone who knew DW thought that SS had a huge sum of cash in a safe at the house, not knowing about the final destination of the funds (Puerto Rico in this very speculative scenario).

Source for regular trips to Puerto Rico for his hedge fund:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...family-beloved-neighborhood-article-1.2232256

Source for interest in Puerto Rico for permanent residency: CNN. "A close business associate said Savopoulos was working on making Puerto Rico a permanent residence for himself and his family." http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/washington-mansion-fire-slayings-savopoulos-family/

Sources for Puerto Rico as legal tax haven:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2015/02/11/puerto-rico-new-age-tax-haven/
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/realestate/puerto-rico-luring-buyers-with-tax-breaks.html

And I still wonder why an art Auction would require so much cash??? Sorry people are buying stuff - expensive stuff - usually not conducted with cash. I really wondered what the original plan was- or if SS and his family operated on a $40K weekly or monthly budget? I'm not wealthy or brave - so I use credit cards.

Was anyone invited to this Auction?

It's my opinion there was no auction.

I've wondered the same thing: whether SS was periodically withdrawing large sums of cash, and this is what triggered the crime, if such habits were known. This would require an insider. (For example, someone who drove him to the bank for each pickup.)

As for the purpose, could SS be transporting cash to Puerto Rico periodically to deposit in his hedge fund? Puerto Rico is a legal tax haven for permanent residents, and SS was reportedly interested in establishing permanent residency there, presumably for the tax advantages. He reportedly made frequent trips to Puerto Rico specifically for his hedge fund. I presume that this was less about managing the hedge fund (which could be done from anywhere) than to establish that he spent at least half a year in Puerto Rico, as is required for residency declaration, and perhaps to make in-person cash deposits.

$40K per week is $2 million in annual deposits. Maybe someone who knew DW thought that SS had a huge sum of cash in a safe at the house, not knowing about the final destination of the funds (Puerto Rico in this very speculative scenario).

Source for regular trips to Puerto Rico for his hedge fund:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...family-beloved-neighborhood-article-1.2232256

Interesting thoughts. To operate an investment business post-Madoff - you would need to be pretty clean. I'm not sure what the cash limits are to take funds out of the US or into Puerto Rico, but I'm sure SS would have stayed within legal limits. And you can easily send a wire instead. Makes me more and more curious. Maybe $40M was just a bump up from his regular budget - cash for his household employees, daughters, his own needs. Maybe some staff like NG paid VF were paid in cash.

Jake Tapper

CNN Reporter:

2 peop in car w/Wints (when he was arrested), purchased thousands of dollars of money orders

Some of the money orders were cashed

He used an Uber driver to return to Wash DC

That I agree with. But it is a long leap from there to DW being a co-conspirator with the other employees. He may have heard some things about Money being in that house or car, but not the same thing as someone saying LETS DO THIS TOGETHER. JMO

I agree. What I've said is it is a possibility. I see many possible things that could have happened in this case, which for instance is why I've said I wanted to better know the circumstances of when SS was seen the day before as I think he could have been under some form of duress then. NG has said some things about that day, but I don't know what to believe from her and one AIW employee is said to have seen SS at the dojo...who all was at the dojo? What was SS doing while he was there? Did he go anywhere else that day besides the dojo? How long was he there? Did he really receive a call from AS or is that something NG made up? Certain things we know about Wednesday only come from a potentially very unreliable NG.

My opinion too. I scratch my head why people would buy this as the cover story and wish they hadn't. Illogical. I think people are better off getting the police involved but hope is stronger than logic when faced with horror.

BBM

I think that is exactly it. A psycho has a knife to your son's throat and says he will kill him if the police show up. That would make me think twice about alerting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz