DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is very well said. He sounds like a very intelligent man. And a compassionate one. He must be devastated. My heart goes out to him and his wife.

One of the neighbors reported seeing DW there the day after the murders. I think it would be terrible for the father to find out he unknowingly harbored a murderer right after the murder. If I'm not mistaken the father at first was more adamant that it couldn't have been his son, but this release isn't so sure that his son is innocent.

....eta: here is the question I was directly answering:
"Bribes, drug money, hit money, untraceable political "donation" are the only things I can think of that require cash over a wire transfer, ACH, check, etc. Can anyone think of a legit reason for needing or wanting a huge pile of cash like that?"
sbm

At risk of stating the obvious, I note a person might demand cash -
because the other payment methods, i.e., wire transfer, ACH, check,
require that the payee reveal his identity, but currency does not.
Opening a/c at a fin. institution in US to receive such a transfer or deposit for ransom,
may take more brain power than DDW has and more effort than he wanted to exert.

A 'legit reason' ^ from DDW's view (and I suspect many other detainees we discuss here) but no 'legit business or transactions.'
Legit businesses w no shady dealings who need $40,000 on a regular basis? Or one time? IDK.

If DDW or cohort(s) tried to open bank a/c w bogus info, likely that bank, whether BOA or other, could refuse to open a/c. Ditto if a person gives accurate info,
but has stiffed a bank in the past, like not paying OD or NSF fees, depositing bogus checks, etc).

"Services
Eighty percent of commercial
banks and credit unions in the United States use ChexSystems to screen applicants for checking and savings accounts.[SUP][1][/SUP] eFunds claims that their services are used in over 9,000 banks, including over 100,000 individual bank branches in the United States. Services include verification of identity, reports on account history, and transaction monitoring.[SUP][2][/SUP]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChexSystems

That is very well said. He sounds like a very intelligent man. And a compassionate one. He must be devastated. My heart goes out to him and his wife.

I agree, very well spoken and from a position no parent on earth would ever want to find themselves in. It truly is heartbreaking.
I dont think I can or am meant to really understand or comprehend the level of violence and just heartless-ness involved in so much tragedy in the world. Its like you want to help and be aware of things but sometimes feel (like tonight) just more helpless then anything.
Its a sad feeling :(

I wouldn't question it. He was a CEO and had four businesses and some non-profits and a line of exotic cars. Maybe he needed to pay for something and got a cash discount? Or someone wanted to be paid off the books? Sometimes wire transfer takes awhile. Maybe he wanted cash to immediately put into another business account at another banK ? OR maybe he saw a car he wanted to go buy, immediately. Cash Money wins.

I asked my brother in law about why he took cash to those used equipment auctions---someone here said you only needed cash deposit then you could get money order and pick it up. Problem with that is, according to my BIL, it adds a long delay. He takes employees who are on the clock and they are traveling. Every hour costs him more cash. So if he sees a used dozer or paver that he can rebuild, going for 30 or 40k, he said he wants to pay right then and pack it up and go. Going and getting a huge money order, while out of town, on a weekend is not possible. And paying cash on the spot sometimes comes with a nice discount.

Every time you post about your brother-in-law and those cash auctions, I think "Man! That is where the robbers should go!" Sounds like it would be a lot easier than holding a family hostage... J/K

Very true. However, he spoke with SS ten minutes prior. IMO he felt safe in leaving the cash there. Boss was preoccupied at the moment but knew the money would be on the seat of the red car in the garage in ten minutes so he'd get it then.

I guess we don't know definitively if they talked or didn't talk after that, correct? If that were me, I would be calling the boss right away to say I had left it.

Does anyone know where that photo was taken of the cash? Was it in the car? If so, perhaps he did that to show that he had put it there.

I told my husband about the HK not coming home that night and not answering her phone. He said he would've been at the Savopolous house that night and wouldn't of left without seeing me,talking to me or getting the police over to the house. It was very out of the norm for the HK to do this. Man I wish at least one person would of picked up on the vibe. It was soooo many hours. :( I'm not blaming anybody here at all it's all would've ,could've,should've..

Honestly we dont know what the husbands reaction was and he may have been banging on the door and like was reported got a bad feeling someone was on the other side. He then gets a call from SS telling him his wife is at the hospital with Amy and he hangs up. SS was likely instructed to say whatever to make the guy go AWAY and FAST. I think the husband may of totally had a feeling something wasn't right, especially after that call from SS. It almost seems like multiple people got the feeling things were "off" but none to the point that they called the law until it was too late. Someone mentioned earlier that they would of told the pizza people or whoever on the phone to call 911 and take the risk cause at least the perps would know they had a limited amount of time at that point to either beat or kill you and get out of there. I guess a good question in response to that would be under what circumstances would you be willing to NOT take that risk even though you may of had multiple opportunities to do so?
I cant think of a reason off the top of my head but just kinda trying to think about things from all angles.

Woah, maybe it was said already but I'm just catching up- do we know for sure that w1 texted NG the pic of $$? Is NG w2?

It has been reported that none of SS friends or family have seen or spoken to W-1 since Wednesday the day before the murder and that he was the last person to speak to SS.

Yet, NG has publicly stated W-1 told her about the money and what it was for. The AIW employee who retrieved the money and gave it to W-1 would not then need a photo showing the money bundles.

There is nobody else W2 could be other than NG but that is just my opinion.

JMO

The affidavit also says police interviewed Savvas Savopoulos' assistant, who was told to take $40,000 to the house the day the bodies were found. The assistant lied about when and how the ransom money was delivered.

Sources close to the Savopoulos family say neither friends nor family close to the tragedy have seen that assistant since the day before the house was set on fire.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...W-DC-Mansion-Slayings-Released-304946491.html

I messaged the moderator before posting this. I have only included information confirmed via the charging documents. Unless we have LE-verified information, we are leaving it off. If you think you have proof of someone's identity, please message the moderator so s/he can decide if it is sufficient to add it to our glossary. Thanks!

Attachments

• Case Players.jpg
    Case Players.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 160
I guess we don't know definitively if they talked or didn't talk after that, correct? If that were me, I would be calling the boss right away to say I had left it.

Does anyone know where that photo was taken of the cash? Was it in the car? If so, perhaps he did that to show that he had put it there.

Answering my own question: The photo was taken much earlier per the charging documents: at 9 a.m. Actually, it says "photos" were sent.
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/local/charging-papers-against-daron-wint/1558/

Except 1) The photo apparently didn't show all the money and 2) He said he left it in the car in a manila envelope, not the red-lined bag in which he photographed it.

Every time you post about your brother-in-law and those cash auctions, I think "Man! That is where the robbers should go!" Sounds like it would be a lot easier than holding a family hostage... J/K

Not that easy. He carries a concealed weapon as do his two employees. Three big strong construction workers with Glocks. LOL

It has been reported that none of SS friends or family have seen or spoken to W-1 since Wednesday the day before the murder and that he was the last person to speak to SS.

Yet, NG has publicly stated W-1 told her about the money and what it was for. The AIW employee who retrieved the money and gave it to W-1 would not then need a photo showing the money bundles.

There is nobody else W2 could be other than NG but that is just my opinion.

JMO

Couldn't it just be a good friend of W1's and he wanted to send him a selfie of a bunch of cash? My kids do that all of the time with each other. One of them is in a weird or cool situation, quick foto sent to a friend, then back to reality.

Couldn't it just be a good friend of W1's and he wanted to send him a selfie of a bunch of cash? My kids do that all of the time with each other. One of them is in a weird or cool situation, quick foto sent to a friend, then back to reality.

Is your kid 28 and at work when he's doing that? My oldest is 26 and I would be very surprised if he behaved like that while on the clock. Now, in his off-time, who knows?! :)

Honestly we dont know what the husbands reaction was and we have he may of been banging on the door and got a bad feeling someone was on the other side. He then gets a call from SS saying she is at the hospital with Amy and he hangs up. SS was likely instructed say whatever to make the guy go AWAY and FAST. I think the husband may of totally had a feeling something wasnt right, expecially after that call from SS. It almost sounds multiple people got the feeling things were off but none to the point they call the law until it was too late. Someone mentioned earlier that they would of told the pizza people or whoever on the phone to call 911 and take the risk cause at least the perps would know they had a limited amount of time at that point to either beat or kill you and get out of there. I guess a good question in response to that would be under what circumstances would you be willing to NOT take that risk even though you may of had multiple opportunities to do so?
I cant think of a reason off the top of my head but just kinda trying to think about things from all angles.

If your precious little boy is duct taped in his bedroom and a psycho is threatening to kill him if he sees a cop car, then you might hesitate.

If the cops surrounded the house, then what? The killer would have had plenty of time to kill everyone before the cops could enter. And I am sure he reminded SS of that. And then he probably said " If you just get me some cash, I will go away and no one will die."

That is what SS was hoping for. Having the SWAT team come racing in might have also ended in the family's deaths. JMO

Sure it could be a good friend but I doubt it because the charging documents say that LE used the statements from W2 to prove W1 lied to them and NG has publicly claimed she spoke to W1 about the money. LE hasn't publicly confirmed W1 is the assistant but it seems logical to conclude it is. The media seems to have made that conclusion. If W2 isn't NG, I'll be surprised.

JMO

Is your kid 28 and at work when he's doing that? My oldest is 26 and I would be very surprised if he behaved like that while on the clock. Now, in his off-time, who knows?! :)

My oldest is 27 and does not do that at work as far as I know. But he does text his wife a lot throughout his work day. :wink:

If your precious little boy is duct taped in his bedroom and a psycho is threatening to kill him if he sees a cop car, then you might hesitate.

If the cops surrounded the house, then what? The killer would have had plenty of time to kill everyone before the cops could enter. And I am sure he reminded SS of that. And then he probably said " If you just get me some cash, I will go away and no one will die."

That is what SS was hoping for. Having the SWAT team come racing in might have also ended in the family's deaths. JMO

I think I would have to look at it like this... LE tells you to fight and never let someone take you to another place even if it means they kill you right there because you will likely be killed any way.... well I will probably fight right off the bat from being restrained even if my family is because we are all probably going to be killed anyway. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member