Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe she's from PA or MD. My mother used to tell me that girls that got pregnant went out of town to take care of it whether it was an abortion or to give the child up for adoption. They did this so know one would find out because people do talk in New England, gossip was very prevalent and a young lady would not want to tarnish her reputation.

It is quite possible that she didn't tell anyone either. Thought she could just slip out of town and have the procedure and be back without anyone knowing. So if she is on namus it may not state that she was pregnant at the time.

Or if her family knew about it they may have just said she ran away and never officially reported her missing. Sad to think about now but they may have said it out of shame..you know..that she was pregnant.

They might have disowned her if they found out she was pregnant. That happened a lot.

How frustrating that the person who took over the case removed the post-mortem photos from her Namus profile. The artist renderings do not capture what she looked like IMHO. Why make it harder for this long-deceased woman to be identified?

How frustrating that the person who took over the case removed the post-mortem photos from her Namus profile. The artist renderings do not capture what she looked like IMHO. Why make it harder for this long-deceased woman to be identified?

I suppose it's because they don't want people to use the PM photos for ghoulish amusement. Still, I think people like that prefer pictures of people who died in car crashes. I agree, they shouldn't have taken them down.

I dunno -- she does look possible, and goodness knows that in 1966, leaving to hide a pregnancy was common enough. Not sure why a girl in Wisconsin would go to New Jersey though, and even if she left at the very end of 1966, she'd have been kind of far along for an abortion in mid-March.

On the other hand, there is a resemblance, and I don't see anything to rule it out.

Attachments

• ruth egnoski with Bear JD.png
    ruth egnoski with Bear JD.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 116
I think it's possible that she had unprotected intercourse, knew of the pregnancy risk, and left very soon after. This would put the timeline of conception in December '66, and since we do not know the month she went missing, it's possible. I kind of wonder if she spent her early childhood in NJ or had a friend/family there and went to live with them. When they rejected her because unmarried pregnancy was taboo, maybe she got an abortion. That is kind of a long and winding story, though.

What caught my attention: the noses look really similar to me and they both had dark hair. She's in the age range.

Also, AFAIK, Ruth does not have a NamUs page.

Today, I submitted Ruth Egnoski as a possible match to Miss X.

To Ms Pamela Reed:

I am writing with regards to UP 7097, the young woman found dead of the result of a failed abortion in Bear, Delaware, on March 18, 1967.

It has been brought to my attention through online searches that she bears a resemblance to Ruth Egnoski. Egnoski went missing from Delavan, Wisconsin, sometime over the course of the year 1966. She was eighteen at the time of disappearance.

It seems plausible she left due to shame from an unwanted pregnancy, or she ran away and conceived while on the run.

Descriptions of Egnoski's height, weight, and eye color are not listed on any databases. I noticed Egnoski does not a NamUs page for comparison with fingerprints, dental records, and DNA of unidentified persons. All I was able to find was Egnoski's Charley Project page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/egnoski_ruth.html

I have attached a photo comparison between UP 7097 and Ruth Egnoski for your consideration. I believe they share a very similar nose, similar hair length and color, and overall similarly shaped faces.

If vital stastics for Ruth Egnoski could be obtained, I believe there is a high likelihood that she could be proven to be UP 7097. Thank you in advance for consideration.

Sincerely,
- N*** *advertiser censored*****"

Still no response from Ms. Reed about the possibility of Ruth Egnoski as Miss X.

Current ruleouts for Miss X as of 2 April 2016. She now has DNA.

Several of the names we've talked about are on the ruleouts. Not Ruth Egnoski, though.

https://identifyus.org/cases/7097

Exclusions

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Ida Anderson 1937 Michigan
Audrey Backeberg 1942 Wisconsin
Patricia Blough 1946 Indiana
Sandra Breed 1948 New York
Linda Britton 1944 Ohio
Peggy Byars-Baisden 1941 Florida
Brenda Howell 1943 California
Johanna Johanna de Haas 1936 Delaware
Lynn Luray 1948 California
Pamela Nater 1946 Florida
Donnis Redman 1943 California
Alice Reeves 1947 Louisiana
Mary Ann Switalski 1946 Illinois
Mary Ann Verdecchia 1951 Pennsylvania

While searching for another UID on Google Images I happened upon the post-mortem picture of this woman. I have it saved, and Carl's recon is very close. If anyone is curious, maybe I could post it to Photobucket and link to it here?

I don't think she has one yet, or it hasn't been made public if it is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back