Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While searching for another UID on Google Images I happened upon the post-mortem picture of this woman. I have it saved, and Carl's recon is very close. If anyone is curious, maybe I could post it to Photobucket and link to it here?

Yes please! Although it was a really good effort and much better than the composite that was available previously, I'm not sure that someone who knew her would immediately connect her with the recon. There were subtle differences that I'm not sure I could articulate... a more delicate face shape, maybe. In any case, I would appreciate having a copy. I have been kicking myself for not saving the postmortem photos, but it just didn't occur to me that they would be made unviewable to the public as the best evidence available in the case.

Yes please! Although it was a really good effort and much better than the composite that was available previously, I'm not sure that someone who knew her would immediately connect her with the recon. There were subtle differences that I'm not sure I could articulate... a more delicate face shape, maybe. In any case, I would appreciate having a copy. I have been kicking myself for not saving the postmortem photos, but it just didn't occur to me that they would be made unviewable to the public as the best evidence available in the case.

Here it is:
http://s411.photobucket.com/user/Bo...470045078242S600x600Q851_zpsz8sjveqc.jpg.html

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one, the last email I have is from 11 February saying:

Just a brief update... Actually, this case still remains a potential match.

The problem, is that we can't “forensically” exclude Mary Shotwell Little, because Atlanta PD doesn’t have any forensic identifiers (dental, DNA, fingerprints, etc.).

We have been strongly encouraging Atlanta PD detectives to try and obtain some family reference DNA samples!

All the best, -Hal

I will follow up & let you know. :)

I see that the connection has already been made.

I've read about this case because I "kinda/sorta" lived near the area. Actually I was conceived near Newark, so I was technically there for a bit. But I was born and raised in Kentucky.

Many things have changed since I first heard of her death. Things are definitely different from the time of her actual death. Roads have been built, straightened, realigned, renumbered, etc since then. But I have the basic idea of where she was found.

The main thing I'm curious about today is her pregnancy. It used to be said that she died from a botched abortion. Then it was changed to septicemia and not necessarily related to an abortion, though it could have been (or some kind of pregnancy complication).

The DoeNet still mentions her pregnancy. But NamUS really doesn't mention a pregnancy at all, other than what is said in the old press clippings from the time of discovery.

Was she pregnant or not?
I see no mention of a pregnancy or a fetus in the physical stuff on NamUS. Not really even any mention of whether she had (or hadn't) been pregnant in the past.

Was she pregnant or not?
I see no mention of a pregnancy or a fetus in the physical stuff on NamUS. Not really even any mention of whether she had (or hadn't) been pregnant in the past.

Yes, she was pregnant. A death certificate was issued for the fetus. I believe it was shortly viewable on NamUs.

Yes, she was pregnant. A death certificate was issued for the fetus. I believe it was shortly viewable on NamUs.

That is so weird...

I was thinking that she might not have been pregnant after all once I saw that NamUS didn't mention anything about a pregnancy. There are many ways to develop septicemia other than having a "botched abortion." I was beginning to wonder why they just pulled septicemia (or it being related to an abortion) out of a hat or something.

I've also wondered about her "missing-ness," or whatever you'd call it. Would parents report a girl that ran off with her boyfriend as missing?
...Or some girl that could have been pregnant that they thought ran off with the daddy?

This was around the time (just a few years earlier/later) that several killers got away with killing, for years, because the authorities decided that the missing kids were runaways and left of their own volition.

I don't know how different things would have been for missing girls, but the specific killers I was thinking about were Dean Corll and JW Gacy. Their male victims weren't much different than the many female serial killer victims of the times (in terms of age, race, location, status, etc).

Today, I submitted Ruth Egnoski as a possible match to Miss X.

To Ms Pamela Reed:

I am writing with regards to UP 7097, the young woman found dead of the result of a failed abortion in Bear, Delaware, on March 18, 1967.

It has been brought to my attention through online searches that she bears a resemblance to Ruth Egnoski. Egnoski went missing from Delavan, Wisconsin, sometime over the course of the year 1966. She was eighteen at the time of disappearance.

It seems plausible she left due to shame from an unwanted pregnancy, or she ran away and conceived while on the run.

Descriptions of Egnoski's height, weight, and eye color are not listed on any databases. I noticed Egnoski does not a NamUs page for comparison with fingerprints, dental records, and DNA of unidentified persons. All I was able to find was Egnoski's Charley Project page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/egnoski_ruth.html

I have attached a photo comparison between UP 7097 and Ruth Egnoski for your consideration. I believe they share a very similar nose, similar hair length and color, and overall similarly shaped faces.

If vital stastics for Ruth Egnoski could be obtained, I believe there is a high likelihood that she could be proven to be UP 7097. Thank you in advance for consideration.

Sincerely,
- N*** *advertiser censored*****"

I was thinking Ruth too - I actually linked to this thread on Ruth's thread back in Dec/2014!!! Great minds think alike. Thank you for taking the step to submitting!!!!!!!

I remember thinking Wisconsin was such a long way from Delaware but who knows, anything is possible. I think there is definitely a resemblance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springrain just saw your later post that you hadn't heard back as of April...did you ever hear back anything at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe she's from PA or MD. My mother used to tell me that girls that got pregnant went out of town to take care of it whether it was an abortion or to give the child up for adoption. They did this so know one would find out because people do talk in New England, gossip was very prevalent and a young lady would not want to tarnish her reputation.

It is quite possible that she didn't tell anyone either. Thought she could just slip out of town and have the procedure and be back without anyone knowing. So if she is on namus it may not state that she was pregnant at the time.

I wonder what's going on with the family tree linking. I'm new to the thread but don't have time to look thru it. Alleykins just told me about her in the boy in the box thread. This is a 2011 article.

Delaware officials look to Trenton in attempt to solve 1967 cold case- By Alex Zdan - April 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM, updated April 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Though the blood had dried, Brown was able to take cells from it and found success in recovering DNA. By matching the information with genealogy websites, some of which were complete with genetic profiles put up by people seeking lost relatives, the medical examiner was able to contact relatives in Virginia and North Carolina on the mother’s side of Jane Doe’s family.

“They don’t know how they’re related, but they’re related biologically,” Brown said.
So far, the family members have been no help in securing an ID

The main thing I'm curious about today is her pregnancy. It used to be said that she died from a botched abortion. Then it was changed to septicemia and not necessarily related to an abortion, though it could have been (or some kind of pregnancy complication).

The DoeNet still mentions her pregnancy. But NamUS really doesn't mention a pregnancy at all, other than what is said in the old press clippings from the time of discovery.

Was she pregnant or not?

For 30 years everyone thought she died of illegal abortion. She had no trauma on the body though and was 3 month pregnant at her death. Only reason they thought it was due to abortion was because of a soap-like substance found in her vaginal cavity.

“She actually died of septicemia, of infection,” Brown said. “It may have had absolutely nothing to do with abortion. She didn’t die from an abortion, she died from lack of medical care.”
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/04/delaware_officials_look_to_tre.html

I wonder what are other possible reasons for someone developing septicemia? What could be other scenario? How long it takes till one infection becomes as serious as deadly? Days?

http://www.healthline.com/health/septicemia#Overview1 I didn't check the reliability of this site but you will get an idea. I was wondering about what happened to the finding of blood clots (mentioned by CarlK very early in this thread) but reading the article I have a better understanding of that now. Does not bring us quicker to an identification sadly enough......

For 30 years everyone thought she died of illegal abortion. She had no trauma on the body though and was 3 month pregnant at her death. Only reason they thought it was due to abortion was because of a soap-like substance found in her vaginal cavity

I think it is the most likely scenario. Sepsis was the cause of death, but the infection leading to sepsis was caused by a failed soap abortion.

The use of dirty instruments, infection to the soft tissue, and damage to the uterus and cervix can all cause septicemia. It can even cause gangrene in the uterine tissue.

Glycerin soap and anything under the kitchen sink were used in this type of abortion...it was one of the cheaper back alley or do-it-yourself options rather than finding a "sympathetic" gynecologist to preform a C&D under the guise of a miscarriage which would be more pricey.

~

Was there ever a follow up with her maternal DNA matches? Did the family always reside in the Virginia/North Carolina area? If so, searching year books may help...but seems like a very long, time consuming shot.

I wonder what's going on with the family tree linking. I'm new to the thread but don't have time to look thru it. Alleykins just told me about her in the boy in the box thread. This is a 2011 article.

Delaware officials look to Trenton in attempt to solve 1967 cold case- By Alex Zdan - April 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM, updated April 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Could it be she was a relatives daughter but was adopted or.a fifth or sixth cousin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

For 30 years everyone thought she died of illegal abortion. She had no trauma on the body though and was 3 month pregnant at her death. Only reason they thought it was due to abortion was because of a soap-like substance found in her vaginal cavity.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/04/delaware_officials_look_to_tre.html

I wonder what are other possible reasons for someone developing septicemia? What could be other scenario? How long it takes till one infection becomes as serious as deadly? Days?
As a medical person one can get it from pneumonia, kidney infection, bacterial, viral or fungal. It is making a resurgence because people are not going to the doctor for things that are serious but trying to treat it naturally or with EOs which is fine for a lot of things but not medical issues that are serious. Anything major left untreated can cause septicemia. If you don't treat a deep scratch it can lead to sepsis if you just slap a bandage on it without cleaning it etc.

Also the white soapy substance mentioned earlier could be adipocere. Which is an occurring issue with death sometimes and the breakdown of lipids or fats in the body. I know it is most common with death and decomp, so it is possible that is what it is when she was found.

I think it is the most likely scenario. Sepsis was the cause of death, but the infection leading to sepsis was caused by a failed soap abortion.

The use of dirty instruments, infection to the soft tissue, and damage to the uterus and cervix can all cause septicemia. It can even cause gangrene in the uterine tissue.

Glycerin soap and anything under the kitchen sink were used in this type of abortion...it was one of the cheaper back alley or do-it-yourself options rather than finding a "sympathetic" gynecologist to preform a C&D under the guise of a miscarriage which would be more pricey.

~

Was there ever a follow up with her maternal DNA matches? Did the family always reside in the Virginia/North Carolina area? If so, searching year books may help...but seems like a very long, time consuming shot.
This could be too..good points on the abortion or soap thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back