Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Congrats to Mr. Brown on his retirement! I've heard he is truly helpful & glad he is still active with the cases. I'm sure he's been generous in providing records from the medical examiners office. But unsure he would be able to do the same with another dept's records.
Bombshell, I'd love to see the article you referred to regarding suspects in her death & her possibly being from the New England states. I believe I had read that only once b4 in an article but can not find it again. It's hard to keep track when new info is discovered & presented to the public. I've been trying to piece every thing together in order, but have noticed with each new finding there seems to be less emphasis on the case. Not everyone is able to switch gears with new facts & evidence, since it doesn't seem to get the same attention as the original story did.

Anniversary of her death! RIP
I plan to take flowers to potters field this spri g.

50 YEARS, 1967 -2017. Still unnamed, but not forgotten. I had planned on visiting her grave today, but couldn't make it. Hoping someone from her family may have taken time to put flowers on her grave. Also hoping the right person (s) will some day soon come forward to claim & name her. She deserves to be remembered for who she was, not just a body dumped along side a road that people have talked & wondered about for 5 decades. She was once a living, breathing, beautiful human being with a name, family, friends, & loved ones. So sad we can only refer to her as just "Jane Doe" or "Miss X". She needs her identity back. R.I.P.

Hoping someone from her family may have taken time to put flowers on her grave.

Individual grave markers were removed from Potter's Field and replaced with one memorial plaque representing everyone buried there. Burial records were lost in a fire decades ago and the exact location of her grave is unknown, unfortunately. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that's so sad. I hate to see forgotten graves or old abandoned graveyards. And records gone too. You'd think there would be a backup copy somewhere. I wonder now if a relative knows exactly where she's located from many years ago. Yet another reason to speak up in her memory. :(

I wonder why the panties but no clothes? Cant make sense of that.....if she died of infection in the bloodstream...that wld hv taken some time right? So why not clothed?

I too tried to think of a sensible scenario for that. Perhaps from the septicemia she had taken ill maybe with fever & stayed in bed where she later passed. Some sleep with little clothing & may tie hair back, especially with a higher than normal temperature. It was mentioned b4 that her panties tag was removed in an effort to possibly hide the manufacturers name or identity. I disagree, I cut out many clothing tags bc they itch or scratch.

Great point! If it was fam or friend that disp of body, i wld tnk they wld hv at least dressed her.

Sending this from my phone so ita a little difficult to post side by side pictures, but does anyone know if this UIB was possibly compared to Alice Marie Reeves. They look alike and almost everything else matches. I used to talk with Hal Brown a few years ago in regards to another case in Delaware, but have lost contact with him over the past few years. He was great at making sure he replied to your correspondences and was always interests in hearing any info or legitimate theories on cases. Hope is is enjoying his retirement. He serves DE for a long time and helped develop and implement a bunch of new scientific methods for identifying UIBs.

Sending this from my phone so ita a little difficult to post side by side pictures, but does anyone know if this UIB was possibly compared to Alice Marie Reeves. They look alike and almost everything else matches. I used to talk with Hal Brown a few years ago in regards to another case in Delaware, but have lost contact with him over the past few years. He was great at making sure he replied to your correspondences and was always interests in hearing any info or legitimate theories on cases. Hope is is enjoying his retirement. He serves DE for a long time and helped develop and implement a bunch of new scientific methods for identifying UIBs.
Reeves is on the ruleouts https://identifyus.org/cases/7097

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I wonder if someone recognizes who she is and doesnt want to come forward because of how she died. Maybe religious reasons or feelings of shame/embarrasement from the family.

If they were with her at the time, maybe fear of the law.

Link to New Jersey Times article, printed April 2013. Tried to generate interest in the Trenton NJ area where the Laundry Bag came from, plus some additional info.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/04/delaware_officials_look_to_tre.html

The article makes it sound like the biological relatives connected to her did not really make a huge amount of effort to uncover how they were related or what might have happened. If they didn't get involved after being contacted, I wonder why? If someone told me that an UID was discovered 50 years ago in her condition, and that person was related to me via her mother, I would not leave any stone unturned to find out who the person was, and how, exactly, she was related to me, and from there, I would have gone on to try to figure out what might have happened and why she was never reported missing.

The article makes it sound like the biological relatives connected to her did not really make a huge amount of effort to uncover how they were related or what might have happened. If they didn't get involved after being contacted, I wonder why? If someone told me that an UID was discovered 50 years ago in her condition, and that person was related to me via her mother, I would not leave any stone unturned to find out who the person was, and how, exactly, she was related to me, and from there, I would have gone on to try to figure out what might have happened and why she was never reported missing.

Maybe they have and still are, but we'd never know unless they put it out there or let us the public know.

Maybe they have and still are, but we'd never know unless they put it out there or let us the public know.

I guess it could be sloppy writing. The author of the article makes it sound like they were just sort of like, "meh. never heard of her," but of course, you are right, maybe they are still trying to figure it out.

I guess it could be sloppy writing. The author of the article makes it sound like they were just sort of like, "meh. never heard of her," but of course, you are right, maybe they are still trying to figure it out.

Investigators really didn't release much to the public, and I haven't found any follow up on this. We really don't know how close the maternal relationship was to the family members they tracked down, we were never told. It also could be a case of an adoption none of the family members knew about. If I know families, there's a genealogist in every bunch, so I'm thinking someone's been checking around behind the scenes, we just may never hear about it unless something breaks.
I also wasn't able to figure out if they left her DNA on the site so that if any closer matches might come up in the future, it will be flagged. I don't know how that works, though. Do you, by chance? I think Roselvr would know.

Would be pretty scary...but I think I wanted it to know...

Investigators really didn't release much to the public, and I haven't found any follow up on this. We really don't know how close the maternal relationship was to the family members they tracked down, we were never told. It also could be a case of an adoption none of the family members knew about. If I know families, there's a genealogist in every bunch, so I'm thinking someone's been checking around behind the scenes, we just may never hear about it unless something breaks.
I also wasn't able to figure out if they left her DNA on the site so that if any closer matches might come up in the future, it will be flagged. I don't know how that works, though. Do you, by chance? I think Roselvr would know.

They really do not give many clues. Knowing what I do about DNA for genealogy, Ancestry, 23 and me and Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) need saliva. FTDNA and My Heritage a family tree site both support uploads of raw DNA. There is another database called GEDmatch that allows uploads, I think that's where they uploaded her DNA.

I had started an email to Colleen Fitzpatrick about this case, I've known her since 2008 being on WS, we were both working Benjaman Kyle's case, I was sorting out facts from what we were told by various people like the lady BK lived with while Colleen had his DNA in Ancestry trying to find a family match.

I was going to see if Colleen was interested in offering assistance to LE in this case in trying to figure out the family connection but I haven't been up to finishing the email. I haven't been on WS much in the last few months.

She's working on an Australian case, Somerton Man - After years of forensic investigation, Somerton Man's identity remains a mystery (Part 2: DNA, isotopes, and autopsy). I still have to read this article but want to post it here. Have to bring grandson to school, then Dr appointment
Scientist at centre of DNA break-throughs in cold case appeals for Government to exhume the body Somerton Man to finally “give him name” - By Craig Cook, Exclusive, The Advertiser
October 1, 2016 8:30am

Delaware officials look to Trenton in attempt to solve 1967 cold case - By Alex Zdan/The Times on April 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM, updated April 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

It was March 18, 1967. The woman, estimated to be in her late teens or early 20s, remains unidentified to this day. But authorities may be closer than ever to finally closing this cold case thanks to DNA technology — and an unusual clue that leads directly to the Trenton area.

The bag Jane Doe was found partially inside of was a laundry bag, marked as coming from American Laundry Dry Cleaning on 326 Perry Street, Trenton, New Jersey.

“That is the only piece of evidence we have to connect her to any geographic area other than Delaware,” said Hal Brown, Deputy Director of the Forensic Sciences Laboratory at Delaware’s state medical examiner’s office.

The woman’s connection to Trenton and the laundry, long since closed, remain unclear.

In late 2011, Brown’s search for additional evidence was rewarded, when the box was taken out of an evidence room and he found it had a vial of the woman’s blood inside it.
“Well, I was extremely excited because to me this represented the possibility of developing a DNA profile,” he said.

Though the blood had dried, Brown was able to take cells from it and found success in recovering DNA. By matching the information with genealogy websites, some of which were complete with genetic profiles put up by people seeking lost relatives, the medical examiner was able to contact relatives in Virginia and North Carolina on the mother’s side of Jane Doe’s family.

“They don’t know how they’re related, but they’re related biologically,” Brown said.
So far, the family members have been no help in securing an ID.

Thanks for the reply, Rose.
Glad to see you, I know you're busy
The Somerton man is a very intriguing case, indeed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuardianAngelTaskForce
Back