Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They did attempt FGG back in 2011, when it was in its infancy. And you are right. They weren't able to identify her by this method. They were able to find maternally related matches, however, 2 things. 1. Investigators never said how close the relationship was between Patra and these discovered relatives. 2. Those maternally related folks were interviewed and didn't know who she was. So we concluded here on WS it must have been a case of adoption. Appears we were right.
Also, this was attempted 12 years ago or so, and it doesn't appear that anyone went back into these DNA sites, or submitted her DNA to newer sites, to see if there were any updated, closer matches. We never heard any follow ups after this article:
I became involved in 2011, the DNA was flawed, we were able to get mtDNA but the matches were so distant (above 10 generations) it was impossible to get anything from it.

Since then, Hal and I have been working on this case daily to get Miss X identified. We've been down so many dead end roads you wouldn't even believe it. We came across some additional material that we were able to extract DNA from at the end of 2020 and although the chances of it being viable were slim, we gave it a go and it worked. The files were transcribed and uploaded to Gedmatch. We knew who she was in 2020, we had photographs, details of how she ended up on the side of Porter Road, everything... but we couldn't prove she was Patra legally as surviving adopted family were small cousins when she disappeared and her biological half family didn't know what she looked like! It has been a long, slow, legal slog to prove that Miss X is Patra, but we got there in the end!

Last edited:
I became involved in 2011, the DNA was flawed, we were able to get mtDNA but the matches were so distant (above 10 generations) it was impossible to get anything from it.

Since then, Hal and I have been working on this case daily to get Miss X identified. We've been down so many dead end roads you wouldn't even believe it. We came across some additional material that we were able to extract DNA from at the end of 2020 and although the chances of it being viable were slim, we gave it a go and it worked. The files were transcribed and uploaded to Gedmatch. We knew who she was in 2020, we had photographs, details of how she ended up on the side of Porter Road, everything... but we couldn't prove she was Patra legally as surviving adopted family were small cousins when she disappeared and her biological half family didn't know what she looked like! It has been a long, slow, legal slog to prove that Miss X is Patra, but we got there in the end!
I hope those additional photographs and the circumstances of her death are shared one day. Thank you for being so persistent in your efforts to identify her.

I'm just so glad you did. I know it's satisfying for all of us, but far more importantly, the family who were feeling her absence and looking so hard themselves can stop, and grieve. I don't think anyone can fault the dedication of the people who worked for so long to bring Patra home. You did an outstanding job.

I hope those additional photographs and the circumstances of her death are shared one day. Thank you for being so persistent in your efforts to identify her.

I second all of that. Thank you Dippy and Hal for all the amazing work in such a tricky and tedious case.
I wish more details of who she was with when she died and additional pictures will eventually be shared. I mean, technically she could have done the abortion alone and in secret, maybe even at home, then rapidly feeling sick and dying alone at home within 24 hours (septicemia kills you quickly). Does not have to be a case of criminal neglect. But someone (boyfriend, roommate, family?) must have found, freaked out and dumped her.

Jmoo

Thank you for so much for all you did. Do you mind if I PM you?

Ok she said the files are only taken down when law enforcement/investigating agencies have formally confirmed a resolution. But since Doe Network has declared her identified, they probably already have.
So "formally confirmed a resolution" is code for "press conference"?

Her NamUs page has been removed.
Just checked the Unidentified Wiki and it's still down. Seems like we have a match! Now we just need law enforcement confirmation.

Sorry for the duplicate message. Responded to the wrong reply.

Just checked the Unidentified Wiki and it's still down. Seems like we have a match! Now we just need law enforcement confirmation.

Sorry for the duplicate message. Responded to the wrong reply.
I think that they will probably not do an announcement bc of the abortion connection. There's a lot of crazy people who might harass the Patmios family and just say horrible things if they believe she had an abortion.
Might be a case where the name is best kept secret imho.

I think that they will probably not do an announcement bc of the abortion connection. There's a lot of crazy people who might harass the Patmios family and just say horrible things if they believe she had an abortion.
Maybe. But ultimately, it's up to her family if they want her identity revealed, so we'll have to see if they want it released or not. If we are to believe the person who updated her Find a Grave profile, the coroner should be releasing details sometime in the future.

I don't disagree with what you mean, but it's hardly a secret now, it's extremely easy to find through minimal Googling. A lot of us have seen the yearbook photos of beautiful Patra at this point, it's definitely her IMO.

I don't disagree with what you mean, but it's hardly a secret now, it's extremely easy to find through minimal Googling. A lot of us have seen the yearbook photos of beautiful Patra at this point, it's definitely her IMO.
Yeah, it is her, I just think we should be sensitive about it given the circumstances.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back